View Poll Results: Are you an organ donor?

Voters
422. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I'm not

    159 37.68%
  • Yes, I am

    224 53.08%
  • Undecided/don't have license yet.

    39 9.24%
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ...
9
17
18
19
20
21
... LastLast
  1. #361
    Quote Originally Posted by Teroseth View Post
    so....by your example you'd rather condemn both to death than potentially give the chance to live to the one of them you personally find distasteful?
    That would be a super good point IF you could equivocally say with out a doubt that him not donating is DIRECTLY causing two people to die...which you know you can't. And since you can't, your post is nothing but emotional hyperbole.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

  2. #362
    The Lightbringer Mokoshne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    getting a coffee
    Posts
    3,894
    i've only nominated to donate my retina's.

    so on the offcase my body parts are linked to the afterlife i can see through someone else s eyes.
    My weekly podcast can be downloaded here this week world cup soccer!

  3. #363
    Fluffy Kitten Wikiy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Posts
    5,106
    Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    Donating money to become a reference of "good person" is selfish. People do things for themselves.
    Another person who thinks people who donate money do it to feel good? Look, I'm not interested in this discussion. You have your opinion, I have mine and neither can prove the other wrong so there's no point in this.

  4. #364
    How can you even compare being a donor to being a soldier?

    Being a donor is literally one of the easiest things you could do (because, well, you aren't doing ANYTHING), that is also the most profoundly life-changing for someone else. There also aren't any rational reasons to not be one. By that metric, not being a donor is the height of human selfishness and sociopathy.
    Last edited by Velaniz; 2013-07-12 at 03:41 PM.

  5. #365
    So I guess I am being selfish for wanting to donate my organs.
    My point is that the idea of selfishness is meaningless. You do things that makes you feel good, just like people that don't want to donate their organs.

  6. #366
    Dreadlord Teroseth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Liverpool *shivers* UK *shivers more*
    Posts
    809
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    That would be a super good point IF you could equivocally say with out a doubt that him not donating is DIRECTLY causing two people to die...which you know you can't. And since you can't, your post is nothing but emotional hyperbole.
    That is the single most outrageous thing I've ever heard in all my life! I never use hyperbole! NOT EVER!

    And anyway, in the scenario he presented, he would be responsible for at least the child's life because he wouldn't donate in fear of the needed organ instead going to an ex-criminal instead. I didn't venture outside of what he presented as a hypothetical.
    A smart man puts his money on the horse with the best odds...a wise man doesn't waste his money gambling on an outcome he has no control over.
    A blog thing for you! http://yetisteaparty.blogspot.co.uk
    A youtube thinghttp://www.youtube.com/user/Teroseth/
    Short story things http://teroseth.blogspot.co.uk/

  7. #367
    Immortal Dezerte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    7,260
    Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    My point is that the idea of selfishness is meaningless. You do things that makes you feel good, just like people that don't want to donate their organs.
    Except when I'm dead, I can't feel anything.

    Bit of a problem for your point.
    To declare that a personal, inner experience gives certainty about the workings of the universe is to assign far too much value to one’s subjective sense of conviction.
    I’m not that arrogant.

    The brain, marvelous instrument though it is, isn’t infallible. It can misfire, seize or hallucinate, and it can do so in a way that’s utterly indistinguishable from reality to the person experiencing it.

  8. #368
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by Celticmoon View Post
    So, today I was reading an article about how a woman almost had her organs removed mistakenly, due to doctors thinking she was dead. She wasn't dead, and thankfully awoke before the procedure began.

    Reading it made me question about whether or not I should change my status on my license, lol. I've read more and more horror stories of doctors mistakenly pronouncing organ donors deceased. Is this because of laziness? Maybe not doing the series of brain dead tests right? Or is it more horrifying? Are some doctors wanting your organs even when your still alive?

    Are you an organ donor, why?
    Not one, how come?

    Article of woman: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...141547610.html
    No, that´s not going to happen. I don´t mind those who want to donate organs, but I would never accept an organ from a stranger myself.
    To be honest with you, I see this whole hype as a bad joke. I mean we are all going to die eventually, so why pretend that we wont?
    If a family member required one of my organs I´d consider it, but I´m not willingly going to donate anything to a stranger.
    Again thats just my opinion. I respect those with the opposite opinion.

  9. #369
    Negative. Besides, I'm pretty sure no sane individual would want any of my organs given the rampant abuse they've taken - and more abuse is planned for this weekend. Now if there was some well to SELL organs, i could maybe be persuaded to clean up my act......

  10. #370
    Quote Originally Posted by Velaniz View Post
    How can you even compare being a donor to being a soldier?

    Being a donor is literally one of the easiest things you could do (because, well, you aren't doing ANYTHING), that is also the most profoundly life-changing for someone else. There also aren't any rational reasons to not be one. By that metric, not being a donor is the height of human selfishness and sociopathy.
    I was not comparing being a donor to being a soldier. I was simply using this as an example to illustrate the differing reactions to voluntary choices. I do not agree with this attitude of expecting people to be donors or else they are selfish sociopaths. As in my soldier example, we should be praising people that choose to be donors and not demonizing people who choose not to.

  11. #371
    Quote Originally Posted by Miley View Post
    I was simply using this as an example to illustrate the differing reactions to voluntary choices.
    It's a poor example. Becoming a soldier requires countless personal sacrifices on your part. Becoming an organ donor requires none.

  12. #372
    Quote Originally Posted by Velaniz View Post
    How can you even compare being a donor to being a soldier?

    Being a donor is literally one of the easiest things you could do (because, well, you aren't doing ANYTHING), that is also the most profoundly life-changing for someone else. There also aren't any rational reasons to not be one. By that metric, not being a donor is the height of human selfishness and sociopathy.
    I see them both as evil To me being a good person is being neutral, not getting involved in stuff that doesn't concern you. One persons good is nearly always another persons evil. Like being a soldier. You protect and save lives but on the other hand you kill and take them too..

    So not being an organ donor for me is the natural, good option unless I actually receive an organ from someone during my life. Then I would feel obligated to "pass it along".

  13. #373
    Quote Originally Posted by Teroseth View Post
    That is the single most outrageous thing I've ever heard in all my life! I never use hyperbole! NOT EVER!

    And anyway, in the scenario he presented, he would be responsible for at least the child's life because he wouldn't donate in fear of the needed organ instead going to an ex-criminal instead. I didn't venture outside of what he presented as a hypothetical.
    lol Well played!

    In a vacuum yes, someone not donating would cause both deaths. But, we don't live in a vacuum. If someone doesn't donate, there is someone else dying who might. Yes I know organs don't grow on trees and docs could probably find a use for all the donated ones they can (thus why I donate), but to say one person's refusal to donate causes deaths is quite extreme.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

  14. #374
    Fluffy Kitten Wikiy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Posts
    5,106
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Except when I'm dead, I can't feel anything.

    Bit of a problem for your point.
    The problem is that according to Hraklea you can feel good and morally superior now for deciding to be a donor.

    What I find funny is that we're supposed to feel good when we donate money, for example, according to Hraklea. And that's apparently the reason people do donate money. Well, some probably do for that reason. I, however, don't. I hate donating money. It makes me feel like shit. I keep spending the next hour thinking what I could've done with that money. And then that bulb in my head turns on which tells me to look at things from an objective perspective, not from my personal perspective which wants to use that money to get my ass fatter than it is right now.

    The bulb that tells me that that money will help fund an entire school or help feed entire families in places where that money can literally buy dozens of times more food or contribute dozens of times more to building a school than it could where I live. For example, a school costs about 6000 dollars to build in the poorest regions of Africa. Yes, you read it right, just 6000 dollars. So in essence when you donate any amount of money for such areas, you're actually donating dozens or hundreds of times more.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    lol Well played!

    In a vacuum yes, someone not donating would cause both deaths. But, we don't live in a vacuum. If someone doesn't donate, there is someone else dying who might. Yes I know organs don't grow on trees and docs could probably find a use for all the donated ones they can (thus why I donate), but to say one person's refusal to donate causes deaths is quite extreme.
    It's actually quite truthful because there's currently a shortage of organs.

  15. #375
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post



    It's actually quite truthful because there's currently a shortage of organs.
    Right I realize that, but you can't tell me that if I fail to donate an organ it will directly lead to a little girl dying.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

  16. #376
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    Right I realize that, but you can't tell me that if I fail to donate an organ it will directly lead to a little girl dying.
    It very well could. Someone who would've been alive had you donated an organ might be dead from your decision.

  17. #377
    Quote Originally Posted by Velaniz View Post
    It very well could. Someone who would've been alive had you donated an organ might be dead from your decision.
    Adult-sized organs are too large for children unless poser is a dwarf/very small woman (and dwarves have their own inherited health problems, so many are likely not viable for organ donation).

    Organs for children tend to come from children.

  18. #378
    Scarab Lord Nivis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    4,713
    Quote Originally Posted by Velaniz View Post
    It very well could. Someone who would've been alive had you donated an organ might be dead from your decision.
    So basically, you can (indirectly) kill someone and smoothly get away with it. :P

  19. #379
    Fluffy Kitten Wikiy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Posts
    5,106
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    Right I realize that, but you can't tell me that if I fail to donate an organ it will directly lead to a little girl dying.
    I can't tell you that not putting yourself as a donor when you die will lead to someone's death, no. But that's only because donors have to be healthy and because organs have to be in the right conditions. However, if your organs are accepted and deemed worthy of transplants, then yes, those organs not being used would result in some people dying somewhere. It's a logical conclusion seeing as there's an organ shortage.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Nivis View Post
    So basically, you can (indirectly) kill someone and smoothly get away with it. :P
    What's worse, it's not even indirect. There's an action (or lack of action) which results in a very clear consequence (or reaction if you will); another person dying.

    But of course, that's perfectly okay, right? After all, people have a choice to have their organs treated the way they wanted. I really don't get it why should the existence of a choice have to mean that one of the alternatives isn't selfish and isn't the wrong one.

  20. #380
    Scarab Lord Nivis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    4,713
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    I really don't get it why should the existence of a choice have to mean that one of the alternatives isn't selfish and isn't the wrong one.
    Others might have, but I never said so.
    I didn't deny that it could be selfish to a certain extend - however, this doesn't change anything for me. I have no problem with being selfish in some regards.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •