Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Felony to apply for Same sex marriage in Indiana.

http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com...13/07/08/70698

Indiana lawmakers have revamped a 1997 law that makes furnishing false information on a marriage license a class D felony. Beginning July 1, 2014, a same-sex couple applying for a marriage license in the state of Indiana will be guilty of a Level 6 felony, punishable by 18 months in prison and a $10,000 fine. The new law also makes it a Class B Misdemeanor for a clergyman, judge, mayor, city clerk or town clerk-treasurer to perform a same-sex marriage, punishable by up to 180 days in jail and a fine of up to $1,000. Any clerk who issues a license to a same-sex couple would also be guilty of a Class B Misdemeanor.
    Even though If people did it it would not go threw as legal. It was more of a protest but isn't this new law a bit extreme to counter protesters?

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    [nukes Indiana]
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Even as a major anti gay rights proponent, I find this a bit silly. I can see charging the person who marries them illegally, but not them for applying.

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    Even as a major anti gay rights proponent, I find this a bit silly. I can see charging the person who marries them illegally, but not them for applying.

Applying for same sex marriage itself was just used as a protest. It had no legality what so ever even if they get a preacher.

Tis extreme indeed.

Cmon why can't they get this all over with, I'm waiting for that slippery slope so I can marry my sweetheart Irene, she's a goat. /sarcasm off

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ssith View Post
    There's almost never a situation when the oatmeal is inappropriate.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because Indiana marriage license forms have a space for “male applicant” and “female applicant”, any same-sex couple filling out the form would automatically violate the law.
    I think this should have been included in the OP to add a little context. I was sort of confused until I read the article (which we should do anyway). Certainly silly, a little cruel, and a bit asinine.

Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    There's almost never a situation when the oatmeal is inappropriate.
    xkcd 2.0?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't imagine it'd hold up in court the first time it is tested.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, they're being consistent if nothing else. Miscegenation was a felony in Virginia.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Jesus Christ Indiana what the fuck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Well, they're being consistent if nothing else. Miscegenation was a felony in Virginia.
    But wait, applying the arguments against anti-miscegenation to anti-gay marriage legislation is a FALSE EQUIVALENCY.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I can't imagine it'd hold up in court the first time it is tested.
    Which is why I find it amusing they are even trying this. Just creating an outrage that will just shoot the thing down.

It's not "silly". It's big government dictating what we can and can't do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh wow

This is...out there....

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    But wait, applying the arguments against anti-miscegenation to anti-gay marriage legislation is a FALSE EQUIVALENCY.
    No, it is not. "False equivalence is a logical fallacy which describes a situation where there is a logical and apparent equivalence, but when in fact there is NONE."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by syphil View Post
    Now it is not. "False equivalence is a logical fallacy which describes a situation where there is a logical and apparent equivalence, but when in fact there is NONE."
    I was being facetious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    It's not "silly". It's big government dictating what we can and can't do.
    idk about making it a "big government" thing, but it's definitely people in government pushing belief systems on their people. Either way it is bullshit and even more reason never to go to Indiana.

It's nice that you don't like this and all...but it's almost as if you're proud to oppose rights for other human beings.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2013-07-09 at 08:32 PM.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Fuckin' come on, Indiana. Get it together.

This is also a really great argument for why there should only be federal laws and not these random varying laws from state to state. You're in the same country, so why does crossing one invisible line either qualify you for or disqualify you from the same thing? "Not in my country" has turned into "not in my state" and it's getting wholly ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I was being facetious.
    WHOOSH! Right over my head. Sorry 'bout that.