How much is the complete Cost of a Character in Mists?

Hellow everybody,
    I noticed that often times gold-related questions are being posted here in the Professions Forum so presumably this is the appropriate section for this question:

*How much does it cost to have a full-fledged Character for the entire Pandaland Expansion?*

Some things that should factor in are

- Costs (and time spent) for two Raiding Professions
    - Full Bags Embersilk or higher on the Char and Frostweave or higher in the bank
    - All Riding and Flying Skills
    - All Enchants and other Enchancements like Belt Buckles and Gems
    - Crafted Epic BoEs
    - Time spend for aquiring Heirlooms and levelling the Character, aswell as Reputation grinds for gear or Professions Recipes. This time I personally factor as roughly 1500g per Hour. I know there are Guides who claim you can earn more Golds, like 5000g per hour but not only do you have to spend more than one hour until you finally end up with 5000g but it may also end up repetetive and boring, I wouldn't sacrifice much fun for that Gold difference.

Surely the prizes vary from server to server but a rough estimate will do. There maybe be more things that I didn't consider, please note them here.

When you start a new character and keep track of the gold you get and spend for all of this, let us know. Otherwise, why ask something that almost nobody would be able to answer legitimately for you? There are to many variables such as which 2 professions do you choose? What are you doing precisely to earn the rep and gold? Way to many things to take into account.
    Last edited by Flatspriest; 2013-07-09 at 08:24 PM.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

Which two professions.
    Do you level the professions through gathering, or purchases and when - early on in the expansion prices will be higher or with the demand for new craftings.
    If you have tailoring you can craft your own bags, thus reducing the cost.
    Which tier of BoE's and when, since the "latest" will shift repeatedly.

There is no approximate or "rough answer" because there are way too many factors, excluding the variation in prices between servers, by the day of the week, or as demand for certain materials changes.

20 000 g would do it on my server.

That being said, you'd probably enjoy just leveling right away and grind when you hit 90.

20,000g for all that? which server you on? just one blazefury reborn costs 20k

i'd say 100,000 g if you didn't bother doing yuor gathering. significantly less if you didn't buy those 502&522 boe's on the ah. also bags are so easy to come by, why do you need to buy embersilk? tatter hexcloth, onyxia hide bag, dragon hide bag are all free 22(hexcloth is 24) bags that are super easy to get now. though hexcloth may require 2-3 people.

cost also changes depending on profs, leveling lw through ah is significantly cheaper than bsming from what i've seen

to put into perspective for the epic boes:
    us-sargeras alliance:
    ww monk (agi leather, dual wielding blazfury reborns)
    2x blazefury reborn - 18-20k ea
    quilen hide helm - 15-18k
    quilen hide boots - 17-20k

those i believe are the only boe's you can buy off the ah though the blazefurys are only 502s but the quilen hide's are 522s
    Last edited by jazzyy; 2013-07-09 at 11:57 PM.

I cant see what this has to do with professions? Better suited for general and more fool them for trying to figure it out. Why on earth would anyone want to waste time trying to work this out?

Well it's impossible to say because technically you could spend 0 gold. The only thing you have to do is repair your gear, and even then... if you never wipe you never need a repair :P

Quote Originally Posted by Fincher View Post
    - Costs (and time spent) for two Raiding Professions
    Again depends, you could buy all the mats or grind them all. So it could be all cost or all time. Some professions practically level themselves if you raise them while levelling. Others are a real pain in the ass.

Also, if you're very patient you can slowly level a profession via Darkmoon Faire. I got through some of the worst parts of leatherworking on an alt this way.

And finally, professions aren't even necessary. There were people in my heroic raiding group that had no professions. Worst they got was the occasional mockery.

- Full Bags Embersilk or higher on the Char and Frostweave or higher in the bank
    Completely optional, you can make do with the 14 slot vendor bags supplemented by 16 slot rep bags from levelling in dungeons. Unless you're a big collector of BoP items you don't need more space. Plus you can grind mats instead of pay for them anyway.

- All Riding and Flying Skills
    Although these are technically all optional (met a guy the other day who was in Pandaria and had literally no mount skills trained lol) almost everyone takes them:

Apprentice-75-60% ground (4g)
    Journeyman-150-100% ground (50g)
    Expert-225-150% flying (250g)
    Artisan-300-280% flying (5,000g)
    [Master-375-310% flying (5,000g) - this one is completely unnecessary, none of my alts have it]

Northrend flying - 500g
    Old world flying - 250g
    Pandaria flying - 2,500g

But remember that various rep discounts apply.

Assuming you got the basic ones - up to Artisan plus Northrend, Old world and Pandaria flying - that's 8,504g minus whatever rep discounts you have. Plus another 5k if you really want Master for some reason.

- All Enchants and other Enchancements like Belt Buckles and Gems
    Completely depends on your server and you can make them + grind the mats yourself if you want, so it's either time or gold again.

- Crafted Epic BoEs
    I never buy these, waste of gold IMO. If you're a raider you can craft them yourself as well, though it's a bit pointless since you usually have all your gear before you have enough mats. Mostly they're for sale.

- Time spend for aquiring Heirlooms and levelling the Character, aswell as Reputation grinds for gear or Professions Recipes. This time I personally factor as roughly 1500g per Hour. I know there are Guides who claim you can earn more Golds, like 5000g per hour but not only do you have to spend more than one hour until you finally end up with 5000g but it may also end up repetetive and boring, I wouldn't sacrifice much fun for that Gold difference.
    I can see what you're trying to do and you could probably come up with a rough estimate but it'd be a lot of work. To get mat/ench/etc prices I recommend using some site like Undermine Journal. But you're going to have to decide a few things first - like what server this is on (unless you want the chore of averaging a bunch of servers) and what exactly is required by this character. Crafted purple BOEs are an obvious unnecessary price inflation that few people bother with, that's going to skew numbers a lot. Unless you were talking about the last tier's ones, which are cheaper but considering how quickly you can replace them (I've used them a few times and it's rarely more than a couple of weeks) probably not worth it anyway.

You also need to take gold income while leveling into account. For example, my alts almost always pay for themselves with the exception of fast flying.
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2013-07-10 at 01:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

yeah tbh i really don't see the point in crafted boe's unless you have some serious cash to burn. at one point i had 4 haunting spirits and just bought 4 extra, got the mag hides from skinning and made my own quilen hide item but other than that you shouldn't needto buy 522's especially since you get a 502 booties for free and that will help out until you get some more stuff.

plus with the new patch right around the corner we're gonna see more crafted boe's and even less reason to invest in those 522s or even 502s

Quote Originally Posted by 999tigger View Post
    Why on earth would anyone want to waste time trying to work this out?
    Playing WoW and related stuff is all time we enjoy wasting. There are various aspects like theorycraft, PvE, PvP, or Gold calculations. Some people like certain aspects fo others they are a chore.

Quote Originally Posted by 999tigger View Post
    I cant see what this has to do with professions?
    With Topics like

-advice for starting out making gold
    -Free bag upgrades.
    -WOW Gold and endgame- What do you do or intend to do with yours?
    -I have 30k to my name, how should I invest it?
    -Earned a decent amount of gold, looking to invest it to make more, tips?
    -No Monies
    -x10 Farms at your Disposal, what would you grow?
    -How do people make gold on dead servers?
    -Problem with gold making.
    -Good Gold making guide
    -rags to riches
    -Sold 502 Lionheart for 59g by accident
    -Dupers
    -If you had a lot of gold...
    In my opinion this threads fit right into the professions forum because often times it is used for Gold-related stuff other than professions

@Mormolyce I know that a lot of things like Crafted BoEs and big bags may appear to not be worth their while but with Bags I feel like you are constantly losing a little bit of gold and time if you have to do more stops for vendoring greys, mailing greens to your enchanter and cloth to your tailor etc. It's often a one-digit number of gold that you lose per day but it piles up eventually.
    Crafted BoEs are just a matter of your gold income. If it is fast then it's better to buy them and join the better Guild that accepts you with the higher itemlevel easier. If you are low on Gold then of course its better to run Raidfinder and daily Heroics, Durotar weeklies etc. and apply to Guilds afterwards.
    Last edited by Fincher; 2013-07-11 at 07:27 AM.

The list of topics you quote are all to do with people making money using professions.
    Go ahead as it is a free forum, but I cant help thinking it is a complete waste of time imo. If you are that bored then go and find another game to play or rl. I'd even say your thread asking for advice on how to upset other players in the ah had more merit than this.

I would assume, taking into account my current server economic status and such, that you would be investing well over 60K to get your character CASUAL raid ready. So basically LFR ready.

since the launch of LFR in WOW, it has dropped overall prices of buying gear by a significant amount. You can easily gear up to current non-lfr status in a matter of days and you can easily not spend that much gold at all.
    WoW Millionaire! Destroying markets with high school economic knowledge since 2012!
    -Over 5.8 million gold made -
    Why make gold? Because I live to outshine other people in the wonderful world of warcraft.

My warlock is new, made after MoP started on a new realm where I had 0 gold.

There's his wealth page with not much effort put into it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnydruid View Post
    I would assume, taking into account my current server economic status and such, that you would be investing well over 60K to get your character CASUAL raid ready. So basically LFR ready.

since the launch of LFR in WOW, it has dropped overall prices of buying gear by a significant amount. You can easily gear up to current non-lfr status in a matter of days and you can easily not spend that much gold at all.
    LFR ready can be done for free-ish or maximum 1k. I prefer stuff fast and to have the best of the best usually (Jade Spirit/Dancing Steel on blue weapons, etc) so it's a bit pricier for me. If you have the time you can complete the entire LFR and get around 490~ ilvl in 1 night.
    Last edited by Ichifails; 2013-07-13 at 12:04 PM.

The Patient
    Hellow everybody,Surely the prizes vary from server to server but a rough estimate will do. There maybe be more things that I didn't consider, please note them here.
    Glyphs. The better (aka more useful ones) can cost upwards of 500g.