Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Why do melee wibble wobble back and forth like a rabbit on speed while attacking?

I really dont see the point of running around people, especially against a caster

Quote Originally Posted by Ragetacular View Post
    I really dont see the point of running around people, especially against a caster

There is none. When people start doing that to me I just spam CC them just to piss them off. I wont even try and kill them. Just rotate every single CC ability I have. Also its usually rogues but they are cowards anyways.

Deleted
    Depends on caster. Some spells require the caster to face the target. But mostly is just something people got used to doing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lets say you are against a nub destro lock, and he is casting Chaos Bolt. You have no way to interupt his cast with your abilities, and you can't LoS him in time. However, you note that this lock is nub keyboard turner. Thus, you can run behind him, and "interupt" his spell cast as players can NOT attack targets behind them, except for a few DoT classes.

So essentially it helps to reduce incoming damage if done right as it takes a larger amount of reaction time to turn around and resume attacking. Of course, most melee suck at this, and hurt their damage output just as much as the opponents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

10+ Year Old Account
    makes it look like you are doing something inbetween attacks lol
    dragonmaw - EU

Probably just a habitual thing so as to feel like they're ready to move or react to what the enemy does asap. Sometimes in a raid environment I feel as if I never stop moving then I'm far less likely to get hit by things - not because of the obvious fact that I'm just never in places where abilities target the ground under me, but because it forces me to continuously pay attention and not tunnel - and of course as a hunter I can do it without any real loss. I also instinctually move away from other people (aside from situations where stacking is intended) when they get close to me out of not wanting to get hit by things that target them. Of course those are different than PvP, somewhat similar. Or they might just be doing it because they are spazzy.
    Main - Spirál - Hunter

Just to pass the time inbetween attack/cooldowns

*starts mop cinematic trailer song*
    to ask why they wobble is to ask why we hunters jump.
    it is in their nature. perhaps there is a better question...

*epic cgi here*

why do they wobble?
    to hit a and d,
    to live their spasms and bring peace to their adhd.
    for my kind the true question is:
    what is worth wobbling for?

(had to do that when i read the title ^^)

jk, it's to be prepared for a sudden reaction or just out of pure boredom.

as a caster, i wish all melee played like you.
    Arena Master Elemental Shaman
    Maeros@Illidan
    http://www.twitch.tv/chroniclinex
    http://www.youtube.com/chroniclinex

15+ Year Old Account
    You cannot complete a spell cast if your target is behind you.

Therefore, if you 'wibble wobble' correctly against a keyboard turner or even a mouse turner who is slow to react, you can avoid taking damage from any of their attacks with a cast time.

In PvE, it makes me very angry to have tanks doing this who are used to doing it in PvP as a DPS (our offtank killed our main tank with Life Drain on Durumu because he was wiggling around... :<), but in PvP it is actually quite important, at least for random BGs.
    Last edited by Simca; 2013-07-09 at 09:42 PM.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

10+ Year Old Account
    lurking in the bushes outside of your window.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scifix View Post
    Just to pass the time inbetween attack/cooldowns
    YES! i do it all the time, out of boredom. It's much like jumping when you are running.. your are just drawn to the spacebar to jump..

Are you talking about the pvp shuffle? I think it's because some people have so much energy they do it because they are bored =)

It is about position mainly, but there are many reasons to constantly try to get behind a target.

1.) Some melee attacks require you to be behind your target.
    2.) You cannot parry from behind (my DK has like 20% parry in pvp gear)
    3.) You cannot dodge an attack from behind. (casters may not have parry but they do have some small amount of dodge)
    4.) You cannot cast most spells at targets behind you.
    5.) Being in motion makes it hard to predict where you are going or what you are doing.
    6.) Some attacks are ground targeted.
    7.) Some melee have short melee range and it is easy to stop lots of incoming damage by being just a few yards away. (think WW monks).

So there are lots of reasons to constantly try to jockey for position behind your target, but there are people that don't understand all these reasons and either do it because they are hyperactive or even they just mimic what they see other pvpers do.

You'd be a fool to stand still. Movement is pretty huge, because positioning is. Versus bad casters it is very nice to make them flub a non-CC cast with a run through, and versus good ones I force them to play harder to land something. I'll eat up every thoughtcycle they have, and if it frustrates them, that's much better for me in all possible ways.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Granted, this is a very class-specific example, but on my BrM, when I am tanking a boss, I will strafe back and forth to grab my Gift of the Ox orbs on the ground near me for some extra healing.

Although I'm sure the OP wasn't really referring to tanks... but it IS a valid reason to wibble-wobble...

edit: Just saw this was a PvP forum, so feel free to disregard; Although it could still happen in PvP if you come up against a Brewmaster.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Running round an enemy is something that is really really good to do. Even if you force them to 'miss' one in 100 spells by being behind them as it lands, that's better than nothing.

Wibble-wobbling (as in, when someone is in a stun and spamming strafes back and forth) is just something for people with bored fingers to do. Same with jump-spamming or mouse twitching.

I never jump while in melee. You cant switch your direction mid jump and thus gimping yourself if your opponent does a sudden 180.

Plus I play in Aus which has the internet speed of a potato

I think it comes from a combination of class rotation downtime and dealing with LOS for many spells. A lot of casters have to be facing their target when the cast goes off to hit them, so if ya keep jumping around it's SLIGHTLY harder for a crappy keyboard turner to defeat you. But let's be real, if you're good enough to jump around while fighting... AND facing a keyboard turner, do you REALLY need the advantage?

I also think it just comes from class downtime. I LOVE pressing buttons, even if it doesn't help, I just need to always be doing something when in combat. I think a lot of people are the same, so they jump around and mash spacebar during the rotation downtime so they're at least doing something!

Quote Originally Posted by IsoLovesYou View Post
    Are you talking about the pvp shuffle? I think it's because some people have so much energy they do it because they are bored =)
    Yep, that's why I do it. Well that and as Raugnaut said, the guy might be a keyboard turner, but that's rarely case for me.
    Shuffle and jump about for no reason, I like it.
    Last edited by Libram; 2013-07-10 at 04:35 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vathius View Post
    I never jump while in melee. You cant switch your direction mid jump and thus gimping yourself if your opponent does a sudden 180.

Plus I play in Aus which has the internet speed of a potato
    Unless you are playing against a stun class, then it is good.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose