Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    1 - melee can't attack you from behind
    2 - casters can't complete spells if you are behind them
    3 - players can't dodge/parry from behind
    4 - rogues and ferals have positional attacks

Most of this only works against keyboard turners, but even 1 vs 1 melee if you run around them fast enough you may be able to hit them while they can't hit you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    There is none. When people start doing that to me I just spam CC them just to piss them off. I wont even try and kill them. Just rotate every single CC ability I have. Also its usually rogues but they are cowards anyways.
    lol, as opposed to ranged players.. they aren't cowards at all - they just fight from far away - run like bitches if anyone gets close... yea I just got trolled - a caster calling any melee a coward is a joke.

running around and especially jumping gets you a non-displayed upstacking crit bonus, didnt you know that?

There was a time when it wasnt so much easily applied slows and cc in the game so quickly running through and around casters and managing to delay melee abilities by jsut a little bit if you managed to run through them at the right time was working very well. Old habits I asume
    Quote Originally Posted by Tirilka View Post
    Nope, but there is a tendency for the echochamber of whining to spiral out of control, and so everyone involved thinks this is the worst thing ever.

Deleted
    Because that way casters have more trouble hitting us? Is this a serious question or what? I mean you don't know why? Really?

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's an advantage if the person is key board turning and such which well most I'm sure you will find many who do that in pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaim View Post
    *starts mop cinematic trailer song*
    to ask why they wobble is to ask why we hunters jump.
    it is in their nature. perhaps there is a better question...

*epic cgi here*

why do they wobble?
    to hit a and d,
    to live their spasms and bring peace to their adhd.
    for my kind the true question is:
    what is worth wobbling for?

(had to do that when i read the title ^^)

jk, it's to be prepared for a sudden reaction or just out of pure boredom.
    I've read your post with a David Attenborough voice in my head !

Deleted
    It's funny when they do it during PvE encounters. They just can't stop running, even if it means running into you and you taking extra damage from some form of AoE. Most of the people who play melee are ADHD retards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because it's fucking boring just standing still and whacking away at someone...

Deleted

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrean View Post
    It is about position mainly, but there are many reasons to constantly try to get behind a target.

1.) Some melee attacks require you to be behind your target.
    2.) You cannot parry from behind (my DK has like 20% parry in pvp gear)
    3.) You cannot dodge an attack from behind. (casters may not have parry but they do have some small amount of dodge)
    4.) You cannot cast most spells at targets behind you.
    5.) Being in motion makes it hard to predict where you are going or what you are doing.
    6.) Some attacks are ground targeted.
    7.) Some melee have short melee range and it is easy to stop lots of incoming damage by being just a few yards away. (think WW monks).
    this ...and
    8.) playing rogue generally energy regen sucks bawls so gives me something to keep me occupied
    9.) people get massively enraged about it and make comedy threads like this ;-)

You always, always want to be moving as melee when fighting players at least. If your target is immobile, then you keep moving by circling around him. It makes you harder to hit for lesser players (especially casters) and it keeps you moving so that if he takes off in any direction you can stick on him easily. And perhaps most importantly, it makes it way more fast paced and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrean View Post
    It is about position mainly, but there are many reasons to constantly try to get behind a target.

1.) Some melee attacks require you to be behind your target.
    2.) You cannot parry from behind (my DK has like 20% parry in pvp gear)
    3.) You cannot dodge an attack from behind. (casters may not have parry but they do have some small amount of dodge)
    4.) You cannot cast most spells at targets behind you.
    5.) Being in motion makes it hard to predict where you are going or what you are doing.
    6.) Some attacks are ground targeted.
    7.) Some melee have short melee range and it is easy to stop lots of incoming damage by being just a few yards away. (think WW monks).

So there are lots of reasons to constantly try to jockey for position behind your target, but there are people that don't understand all these reasons and either do it because they are hyperactive or even they just mimic what they see other pvpers do.
    When I'm on my casters and get attacked by melee doing this, why do they keep running around me when I stand perfectly still and giving them self a disadvantage? Some players do stop and stand behind me but they are few in my experience.

When I'm on a melee character try to stay behind my target, if my target stop moving I'll just stand behind them.

Maybe they have seen arena videos and try to copy their play style without knowing why? Been wondering why this is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    You always, always want to be moving as melee when fighting players at least. If your target is immobile, then you keep moving by circling around him. It makes you harder to hit for lesser players (especially casters) and it keeps you moving so that if he takes off in any direction you can stick on him easily. And perhaps most importantly, it makes it way more fast paced and fun.
    That sounded logical.

Edit: Won't moving in circles in that situating be a disadvantage since your target can predict were you will move and move the opposite direction?
    Shouldn't you at least move a little randomly?
    Last edited by Exeris; 2013-07-10 at 03:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Luckily I have no interest in Catgirl Simulator 2014 or whatever it is.
    Said while playing WoW with cow, wolf, panda and fox girls.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaim View Post
    *starts mop cinematic trailer song*
    to ask why they wobble is to ask why we hunters jump.
    it is in their nature. perhaps there is a better question...

*epic cgi here*

why do they wobble?
    to hit a and d,
    to live their spasms and bring peace to their adhd.
    for my kind the true question is:
    what is worth wobbling for?

(had to do that when i read the title ^^)

jk, it's to be prepared for a sudden reaction or just out of pure boredom.
    I was about to post the usual answer to do with being behind the targets to prevent spellcasting completion and such, but um...it just pails in comparison to this. You win the internet today. All hail Flaim!
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is simply to try and get behind your opponent so you miss fewer attacks from white swings and mostly stems from back in the day to make it obvious who was and who wasn't a keyboard turner and a clicker, although these styles are not as common today back in 2004 many MMO newbie players were definitely clickers and couldn't keep up with you if you moved around a lot. Part of being a good pvper initially was being able to strafe correctly, whilst using keybinds to activate abilities.

The practice is now done as default, keeping up your apm also helps when you need to react quickly to something that may otherwise kill you.

It also has the bonus of distracting and possibly stressing the target - they have to concentrate on moving/rotating as well as casting and some players go to pieces at this.
    Last edited by Dcruize; 2013-07-10 at 04:09 PM.
    Stormscale Horde EU | http://lastrogue.com

As melee? I do it as ranged! You just do it while casting instants or if you are casting while moving

The hell kind of question is this? You have zero avoidance from behind, so you want to be behind your target as much as possible. Why would you tunnel someone from the front?

Deleted
    Almost all melee classes have downtime between their attacks, Rogues especially. Instead of sitting there and watching number pop above your opponent's head some people like to pass the downtime by moving around a little bit.

As for the people talking about LoS and such, I generally only see it from Rogues and Ferals who just used a big stun. There isn't much to LoS or do if your opponent is just standing still for a few seconds while you wail on them.

I hate to admit it, but I used to do this on my Rogue as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe it's like APM spamming in Starcraft, to keep you more alert and "warmed up" so you can react faster when nessecary?

Quote Originally Posted by Bovan View Post
    Almost all melee classes have downtime between their attacks, Rogues especially. Instead of sitting there and watching number pop above your opponent's head some people like to pass the downtime by moving around a little bit.

As for the people talking about LoS and such, I generally only see it from Rogues and Ferals who just used a big stun. There isn't much to LoS or do if your opponent is just standing still for a few seconds while you wail on them.

I hate to admit it, but I used to do this on my Rogue as well.
    People don't move in between attacks. We move while attacking so our spells have a chance to hit from behind if the opponent is a little slower, as well as preventing attacks they try to make if they're a little slower.

No one is going to stand still and let you wail on them, and if they do, you run behind them so more of your attacks land and less of theirs do. There's no point in running behind someone after they're stunned. You run behind them before using your stun so they can't dodge/parry it.

It's not a bad thing, it gives you a tactical advantage so I don't know why you would hate to admit doing it.

also lol at the guy that said most melee were adhd retards.