Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathgoose View Post
    They didn't say keyboard turn, they said STRAFE, which is to move in a direction perpendicular to the direction you are facing.

If I am reading what you said correctly, as soon as the right button is pushed, your character's direction becomes oriented to the same direction the camera is facing, so if you only push the left button, you then run "forward", not to the side. So how does that accomplish strafing?

Unless you honestly can't think of any time where strafing could be beneficial. Even tanks benefit from strafing a boss to turn them or moving out of the fire while still facing them enough to block/parry/dodge.
    If you push only the left button nothing happens, you stop. You turn by just moving the mouse around.

Thanks to this thread, I'll be doing it to piss people off from now on. Didn't know it infuriated so many people.

Quote Originally Posted by maxalyss View Post
    If you push only the left button nothing happens, you stop. You turn by just moving the mouse around.
    You're really bad at this game

10+ Year Old Account
    Prevents them from getting off casts that require them to be facing you, which most offensive spells have.

If you strafe or use anything other than just the mouse to move you are a total baddy.
    Strafing is beneficial both in pve and pvp. Its a basic game mechanic. I'm having a hard time reading this thread and hope some of the comments in here are irony/trolling.

Come on guys. This is lvl 1 stuff....

You need to unbind it and replace it with strafe not turn.
    Stormscale Horde EU | http://lastrogue.com

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    I do it because it annoys people more than anything. Any good caster won't be tricked by your silliness but there's still plenty of bads out there who it is very effective against. Even if it doesn't give you a meaningful advantage, it still infuriates your opponent. Hell I do it against other melee to keep them on edge as Ret because a lot of my attacks aren't even melee range...so I dart in and out and all around to make them mad. Works great.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragetacular View Post
    I really dont see the point of running around people, especially against a caster
    I cant use backstab if I'm not behind them and no player out there turns there back to me. What else am I supposed to do? Ask them nicely to turn around? Also attacks from behind cannot be dodged,blocked or parried, so you are also doing more damage.

As others have said as well against a keyboard or slow mouse turner they won't even be able to hit you.
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

10+ Year Old Account
    They want to look like very skilled players for their own personal self worth but wind up just looking stupid, it's usually a Rogue.

- - - Updated - - -

If you strafe or use anything other than just the mouse to move you are a total baddy.
    someone with 11 level 90s said this.. in a pvp thread.

that's pretty amazing.

OT so i dont get in trouble; 'why not?'

[if you're playing a rogue or a feral.. there are good reasons for that have basically been already covered.]
    Last edited by Lulbalance; 2013-07-10 at 10:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's useful to avoid cast-time spells (excluding mind flay/malefic) because you can just run behind/through the caster and they might not get the spell off if they don't turn to face you in time.
    Professional's Guide to: Upgrading Your Computer
    Quote Originally Posted by OperationFerret View Post
    Legion PvP is so bad that Holinka is handing out titles for watching the arena championships.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, well..

1.Some attacks require you to be behind the target
    2.Most attacks require the target to be infront of you (For Casters)
    3.You cannot Dodge/Parry/Block attacks from behind
    4.Some attacks have a low range, so continously moving and following the opponent makes it easier to always have a move.
    5. It practices your fingers and keeps you 100% focused,and passes time in between GCD (assuming you're using all your abilities PROPERLY.)
    6.It does annoy some people.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovan View Post
    You completely missed half my post where I talked about people generally only doing it during stuns.
    you don't get behind someone DURING a stun. you get behind them BEFORE the stun. this way your stun has a lower chance of being avoided. you can stand still AFTER you have used your stun from behind, until your stun finishes. then you continue running behind them so that more of your attacks/abilities land on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Eranthe View Post
    you don't get behind someone DURING a stun. you get behind them BEFORE the stun. this way your stun has a lower chance of being avoided. you can stand still AFTER you have used your stun from behind, until your stun finishes. then you continue running behind them so that more of your attacks/abilities land on them.
    With cheap shot you do it from any angle. Thinking about it, when I cheap someone I walk through them holding right mouse button, spin 180 then hit strafe left/right a few times while I fine-tune the direction, confirm which way I'm facing in case I need to move fast and maybe even move backward/forward a bit if needed. Could people be seeing this and thinking it's mindless strafing?
    Stormscale Horde EU | http://lastrogue.com

Windwalkers like to side step with T15 2-piece! Just realized it's in the PvP section. Sorry mates.
    "I realized it is the struggle itself that is the most important. We must strive to be more than we are. It does not matter that we will never reach our ultimate goal. The effort yields its own rewards." -Data

Depending on how drastic you are talking about, It gives you the ability to react faster to the movement of the person you are fighting.

Deleted
    In PvE, unless you're dodging a mechanic or there's a MOVE OR THE HODIR DEBUFF WILL GET YOU thing going on, melee should stand the fuck still and slap. They're potentially moving out of their autoattack range and gimping themselves otherwise.

In PvP, I would have thought the importance of being mobile was obvious. You're either trying to get behind people to avoid parries/dodges/being cast at (whilst they are also moving) or they are just trying to keep you off balance.

"they saw it in a video"

Quote Originally Posted by ciggy View Post
    YES! i do it all the time, out of boredom. It's much like jumping when you are running.. your are just drawn to the spacebar to jump..
    ohh god yes, this..
    And on that note, since around cata I've had the addon jumper and I am currently on 138k jumps on my caster main, and my melee chars are not far behind, and closing in fast due to my constant jumping on fights
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

Well in PVP some people weave in and out of your toon to screw up your facing (which is lame really, makes you wish WoW had hit detection). But I've seen it in PVE too, people just randomly strafing back and forth or spamming jump for no reason at all.

I really started to notice it doing HoT in Cata. Trying to use the melee and tanks to los the silence from the rogue boss... so annoying. STAND STILL YOU HYPERACTIVE JERKS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    In some fights there is movement debuff that decreases as you move around, and jumping works also. As a melee I rather spam spacebar to jump with my thumb, so I can focus using my abilities with no problems. If I'd have to use A and D it would not only use up two of my ability using fingers, it would also be a risk of mispositioning. (Nexus last boss, Stormstout brewery last boss etc.)