Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
6
LastLast
  1. #81
    Elemental Lord Polarthief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    (USA) Florida
    Posts
    8,036
    Quote Originally Posted by TacTican View Post
    Wish they'd let us name our Water Elementals again. I miss poor Waterloo.
    Squishy, your name will be missed forever and ever ;_;

    Progression pre-nerfed: [T17] 6/7H; 0/10N

  2. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by TacTican View Post
    Wish they'd let us name our Water Elementals again. I miss poor Waterloo.
    Yeah, that was fun. Mine was called GrandfatherFrost in Cyrillic (Дедмороз). It's our native Santa Claus. =) I even liked my elemental for this short while... He delivered special presents to those who have been naughty in BGs.
    Last edited by Nightfall; 2013-07-11 at 09:32 AM.

  3. #83
    Over 9000! ELYPOP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London, England.
    Posts
    9,721
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    Enjoy the suspension and tell us all about the PM

    (If you legit don't know, Lhivera is our Mage "MVP" on the official forums, and that's all I'm going to say to avoid not getting bitchsmacked by an angry cupcake...)
    Swizzle wouldn't dare.

    And thanks!

  4. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by ElyPop View Post
    Swizzle wouldn't dare.

    And thanks!
    Just a warning...
    He has a LOT of influence on the official forums (e.g. he got me permabanned for asking him to justify one of his statements - he said Arcane PvP was perfectly viable in the high end. I asked to support that statement with some fact or even some rational arguments. He got me permabanned loool :P) The official reason I got was that I "make him uncomfortable in expressing his opinions" O.o.


    I didn't used to think he had much pull here. But even I am wrong... sometimes :P

    Keep this in mind if you ever have to deal with him.



    On topic:

    One thing that I found very interesting in both the very latest patch notes as well as the most recent blue posts is that many classes are getting entire tiers of talents completely overhauled.
    Warlocks, for example, not only got KJC and MF fully overhauled, but they are getting AV completely replaced!

    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Archimonde's Vengeance has been further adjusted, as you'll see in a forthcoming PTR build. We agree with the general concern about incentivizing a pure DPS class to seek out sources of damage and make healers' lives harder in exchange for a damage boost. Even though we can filter out "standing in the fire," so to speak, and plan to do so for tank Vengeance as well, there are plenty of cases that can't be easily handled (e.g. Lei Shen's Thunderstruck, which isn't really avoidable damage, but where a warlock with the current PTR Archimonde's might find it optimal to stand just close enough that they barely survive it, rather than properly trying to get far away).

    The current plan is a replacement that will make Demon Soul significantly more potent, though, of course, that is subject to change, it being PTR and all.
    ^ Blizz on Archimond's V. Apparently, it will get replaced since blizz doesn't like mechanics which incentivize "seeking out sources of damage" to boost DPS.

    Which, if you think about it from a mage context, is a massive statement, since that is specifically what IW is.



    What I find strange then, is that even with a design goal that specifically states that the design team does NOT like this design, and that they agree that it doesn't really work (and in fact, they don't like it enough to completely replace talents that have it for 5.4), that with all this, the 5.4 mage changes are... *drumroll*

    A new glyph to change the appearance of your water elemental!



    I don't even think the common stated "they can't overhaul mage level 90 talents till 6.0" argument even makes any sense anymore, especially since they seem to be overhauling so many other classes talents, replacing entire tiers wh0lesale in some situations.



    I think mages have hit a situation where the dev team really has no clue, especially since blizz is perfectly happy keeping the IW design for the mage class on one hand, but on the other are openly stating that they believe it to be a bad design.

    It so.. dysfunctional.

    Though one thing is for sure. With the design paralysis that the devs seem to have for mages right now, it kind of makes sense that things such as "naming the water elemental" or "we want to change the appearance of the welly" are given opportunity to quickly rise to the top of the "most important issue for mages" list, especially if someone in the community is adamant in using this paralysis to push his agenda through.



    Sadly, I really don't see a way out of this, not even in 6.0.


    I fear the exact same thing that happened in the MoP beta will happen in the 6.0 beta. Where the devs will, yet again, get paralyzed with what to do for mages. The voice of a few, very active mages will be elevated and will push their personal agendas through, and we will be back in the exact same situation as we have now, where core class issues remain unaddressed, but the agendas of a tiny few are fulfilled.


    After all, this isn't the first time we have heard "6.0 will fix it!"

    "Cata will fix it" was a rallying cry back then. Look how that turned out.
    "Zom is like that ace in the hole you keep for when shit hits the fan and you need a clutch. Unleash him when the need is most dire and watch how in just a few globals all your problems fade away. Mostly because they all just got melted."
    - High Warlord Daemon, PvP Officer, rBG Lead

  5. #85
    Over 9000! ELYPOP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London, England.
    Posts
    9,721
    Quote Originally Posted by zomgDPS View Post
    Just a warning...
    He has a LOT of influence on the official forums (e.g. he got me permabanned for asking him to justify one of his statements - he said Arcane PvP was perfectly viable in the high end. I asked to support that statement with some fact or even some rational arguments. He got me permabanned loool :P) The official reason I got was that I "make him uncomfortable in expressing his opinions" O.o.


    I didn't used to think he had much pull here. But even I am wrong... sometimes :P

    Keep this in mind if you ever have to deal with him.
    Swizzle is just a pussycat, really. :3

  6. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by ElyPop View Post
    Swizzle is just a pussycat, really. :3
    LOL! swizzbots is great! :P

    I was actually talking about the MVP, since you seemed curious xD
    "Zom is like that ace in the hole you keep for when shit hits the fan and you need a clutch. Unleash him when the need is most dire and watch how in just a few globals all your problems fade away. Mostly because they all just got melted."
    - High Warlord Daemon, PvP Officer, rBG Lead

  7. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightfall View Post
    Yeah, that was fun. Mine was called GrandfatherFrost in Cyrillic (Дедмороз). It's our native Santa Claus. =) I even liked my elemental for this short while... He delivered special presents to those who have been naughty in BGs.
    I just named mine Riptide.

    Well, mages getting this glyph does give us some hope of naming our water elementals again. Though they would probably have to do the same for warlocks.

  8. #88
    The official reason I got was that I "make him uncomfortable in expressing his opinions" O.o.
    That's the reason why you got banned?... I read that whole forum discussion, and that is really ridiculous.

    Anyway, while we can harp about Blizzard's hypocrasy further, it would derail this thread. If anything at LEAST the glyph will hopefully bring something nice to look at when playing frost.

  9. #89
    Elemental Lord Polarthief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    (USA) Florida
    Posts
    8,036
    Quote Originally Posted by zomgDPS View Post
    LOL! swizzbots is great! :P

    I was actually talking about the MVP, since you seemed curious xD
    You quoted something about Swizzle; I too thought you were referring to him.

    Progression pre-nerfed: [T17] 6/7H; 0/10N

  10. #90
    Question: I thought the point of binding an elemental was to make it serve your will by binding it literally either by cage or bracers to Azeroth? Wouldn't by definition, an unbound water elemental not listen to its summoner and not wear bracers (the pic in the OP shows it wearing bracers)?

    Edit: it looks like the pic on OP also is wearing a cage (a metal structure made to harness/bind the elemental that may be mistaken by some as armor).

    So in conclusion, the pic is definitely a bound elemental. And current summoned water elementals are also bound (by bracers).

    In conclusion, I'd suspect an unbound water elemental to be exactly the same as the current model, except not wearing bracers and no longer controllable (it would act on its own).
    Last edited by Laurabelle; 2013-07-11 at 05:50 PM.

  11. #91
    Elemental Lord Polarthief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    (USA) Florida
    Posts
    8,036
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurabelle View Post
    Question: I thought the point of binding an elemental was to make it serve your will by binding it literally either by cage or bracers to Azeroth? Wouldn't by definition, an unbound water elemental not listen to its summoner and not wear bracers (the pic in the OP shows it wearing bracers)?

    Edit: it looks like the pic on OP also is wearing a cage (a metal structure made to harness/bind the elemental that may be mistaken by some as armor).

    So in conclusion, the pic is definitely a bound elemental. And current summoned water elementals are also bound (by bracers).

    In conclusion, I'd suspect an unbound water elemental to be exactly the same as the current model, except not wearing bracers and no longer controllable (it would act on its own).
    TBH I thought we instead summoned our own elemental by conjuring a mass of water.

    But now we're just getting really technical .-.

    Progression pre-nerfed: [T17] 6/7H; 0/10N

  12. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    TBH I thought we instead summoned our own elemental by conjuring a mass of water.

    But now we're just getting really technical .-.
    Well it's called Summon Water Elemental, so I'd suspect we are summoning the elemental from The Abyssal Maw (elemental plane of water) and then binding them to a cage and/or bracers.

  13. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurabelle View Post
    Well it's called Summon Water Elemental, so I'd suspect we are summoning the elemental from The Abyssal Maw (elemental plane of water) and then binding them to a cage and/or bracers.
    I remember a discussion on the official forums a while ago when we had a brief period of being able to name our Water Elementals. The topic was should the devs keep such an option or was it justified to remove it. Well the general opinion was that Mages summon just about any random water elemental from elemental plane and bind it temporarily with bracers. So whenever we summon an elemental it's always a different one so you can't actually name it. A Warlock summons THE demons that are bound to him, a Hunter tames actual pets and bonds with them, but Shamans will kindly ask for assistance from elementals, so one of them answers the call and it is always a different one. Same with Mages - we just summon a random one without asking whether he likes it or not and call it Water Elemental. If it is a random elemental it has no identity, thus he shouldn't have a name.

    Sounds logical, but it was still pretty cool to name the WE. Nice touch so to say.

  14. #94
    Elemental Lord Polarthief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    (USA) Florida
    Posts
    8,036
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightfall View Post
    I remember a discussion on the official forums a while ago when we had a brief period of being able to name our Water Elementals. The topic was should the devs keep such an option or was it justified to remove it. Well the general opinion was that Mages summon just about any random water elemental from elemental plane and bind it temporarily with bracers. So whenever we summon an elemental it's always a different one so you can't actually name it.
    Is there proof of this though? How do we know it's different? How do we know we don't just make one ourselves?

    Progression pre-nerfed: [T17] 6/7H; 0/10N

  15. #95
    Quote Originally Posted by ElyPop View Post
    Swizzle is just a pussycat, really. :3
    I'm not gonna send you the anger PM just cause you know secrets from IRC.

  16. #96
    High Overlord Adeltor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    K 1914 AX
    Posts
    139
    Sorry if stupid question but: Has the Glyph of Unbound Elemental been implemented yet? I seem to not find it yesterday and today on the PTR.
    .
    Quote Originally Posted by zomgDPS View Post
    I want to feel the zomg in my dpspants when I throw pyros at someones face. How do you keep that feeling of 'zomg' in your pants while still nerfing throughput?

    Sig by Shyama!

  17. #97
    I don't think it has

  18. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    Is there proof of this though? How do we know it's different? How do we know we don't just make one ourselves?
    Not at all, just a speculation, but a sound one at that.

  19. #99
    I'm a developer and I do the concept art, moderate the forum community, read emails, develop the code, GM ingame, create the effects and graphics, design the quests, design the classes and create new abilities oh and I'm also the lead raid encounter designer.

    Sarcasm aside, this MINOR MINOR MINOR new glyph doesn't detract what the developers need to do in order to "fix your class". Even if it did detract from their resources (which I highly doubt it did), it would be so minor since the model is already made, just a little code and a model swap.

    It's not a waste of time, some will love this glyph and some will hate it for reasons personal or unknown to people with a brain.

    To those saying it should be a mini Lei Shi, I don't think this works in lore. Lei Shi is classified as a water spirit native to Pandaria so I would assume that they aren't tied to the elemental lords. Thus, they are not inherently evil, destructive or malevolent which are the types of elemental's that shamans and frost mages have bound to them much how warlocks bind their pets. Unbound Elementals seem more representative of the fact that our classes control and bind them. Could be wrong but that's how I see it. Would be cool to see it though but we already have this and "it would waste dev resources hur hur".

    I'd love to be able to have an Unbound Elemental at all times as a shaman and not be forced to take Primal Elementalist, they look so much cooler.

  20. #100
    Moderator Shangalar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Rijeka, Croatia
    Posts
    2,019
    I think Mages are also theoretically able to form water into our somewhat sentient water elementals (Jaina - Tides of War - created a tsunami which turned out to be just a superpowered mass of water elementals)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •