Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How much dps gear can be converted to NM tank?

Just curious, perhaps some people have tested it out and know the answer, but just how much of the DK DPS gear could be swapped in for tanking as well?
    I understand 100% won't due, the utter lack of avoidance will spell out the doom, but for most normal modes?

Im currently 542 unholy, have not tanked anything this tier, do have 2pc OS Tank though. Is it plausible to be able to tank normal modes without much of a change in gear? Obvious reforging and gemming is a given.

Especially since more then half is Heroic, would it due reforge and gemmed better or worse off then normal tank gear? Sounds stupid when I read that last bit to myself since again the lack of avoid, but I'm sure you readers get what I'm saying.

Cheers!

10+ Year Old Account
    Anything with mastery is a good start. Mastery and hit or exp. I don't know about bleeding edge progression but you'd be viable for normal

haste isn't that bad either.

In ilvl 542 gear you can do fine with just any type of gear - even if it's all crit, but hey let's go over some points.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashcroft View Post
    1) I understand 100% won't due, the utter lack of avoidance will spell out the doom, but for most normal modes?
    2) do have 2pc OS Tank though.
    3) Especially since more then half is Heroic, would it due reforge and gemmed better or worse off then normal tank gear? Sounds stupid when I read that last bit to myself since again the lack of avoid, but I'm sure you readers get what I'm saying.
    1) Except you shouldn't care about avoidance in the first place duh...
    2) Meh the tank set isn't that great anyway - much better off using 2/4p of the dps set.
    3) Tbh. I don't get what you're trying to say... you really need to work on your english skills.

I will tell you right now, at ilvl 510 FULL DPS GEAR with only 2500 mastery I can tank normal modes without ever being in danger. At 542 you could probably tank at least 4 of the hardmodes in ToT without a single piece of tank gear.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by torment3d View Post
    I will tell you right now, at ilvl 510 FULL DPS GEAR with only 2500 mastery I can tank normal modes without ever being in danger. At 542 you could probably tank at least 4 of the hardmodes in ToT without a single piece of tank gear.
    I'm 13/13 10-man with full DPS gear. :3

Tbh the only difficult fight is Ra-den which I wouldn't recommend trying to tank anyways as every other tank does it better. 25-man is a different story but for normal modes you can get away with gearing for anything.

I am tanking 12/12 with full 2H frost dps gear (i.e full haste-crit), I ve tried to reforge/regem to mastery, but I found that haste build is better, maybe I don't have that huge amounts of shields, but hey, its normals, they dont hit hard :P... Tonight I ll tank hcs for the first time... we ll see... but I dont think there would be any difference...

I believe both builds (haste or mastery) are viable, at least for normal modes.

P.S The only problem with this is that you have to talk to the other tank, agroo issues will come up, especially if the other tank isn;t a decent one...

Deleted
    At 530 it is possible to tank it all in crit/haste (exp/hit cap) gear on 10mans HC. Primordius and Animus could make some problems.
    Your healers need to know about that + planing cds carefully is a must.

Quote Originally Posted by Auk View Post

Tbh the only difficult fight is Ra-den which I wouldn't recommend trying to tank anyways as every other tank does it better. 25-man is a different story but for normal modes you can get away with gearing for anything.
    You can tank 25H in dps gear. I literally took my DPS set, reforged Haste > mastery > crit instead of Haste > crit > mastery, and tanked every single fight just fight except for leishen/raden (leishen our tank logged in, raden lololool)

What made you decide to gem full crit instead of haste?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiboyslol View Post
    What made you decide to gem full crit instead of haste?

It's better for DPS once you reach a certain level of haste. AMS certainly doesn't help with the value of haste either as it makes it so easy to cap resources.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mastery gemming with Haste reforging seems to be fairly popular- while its not the same amount as overall damage reduction (Your healers WILL have to heal you more throughout an entire fight) you will do more damage and have more DS over time. For Normal Mode, depends on your healers- sucky healers, you could probably just do haste/mastery gears. Good healers, and you can probably do haste/crit gear for max dps.

On heroics, you can go for a mastery/haste build and be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

It's better for DPS once you reach a certain level of haste. AMS certainly doesn't help with the value of haste either as it makes it so easy to cap resources.
    Better than strength?

Better than strength?
    Strength isn't all that great once you factor in raid vengeance levels of 120k+ especially on gems where it only has half the value...

Quote Originally Posted by Nillo View Post
    Strength isn't all that great once you factor in raid vengeance levels of 120k+ especially on gems where it only has half the value...
    Ah yea that makes sense, thanks

Better than strength?
    With vengeance the AP gain from strength is rather small by comparison.

Edit: Oops too late

At 533ilvl, I am the MT in my 10M raid. I tank in full DPS gear. I've done the 2H Unholy haste build and a DW Mastery Frost build. Both work great.

I see no difference in taking damage at all on normals and end up in the top 3 DPS. So, your doing your raid a favor tanking in DPS gear.

In HC, of course you get hit harder, but in a mastery build...your absords get rediculously huge. With a haste build, your DS is faster. You are still a monster in DPS.

In the end, in this tier...you should be tanking in DPS gear in my opinion. But, play what you want.

follow this rule (i use it for myself)

A: Has Mastery on it = Tank gear
    B: Has Haste + Mastery = Tank gear
    C: Has Exp + Hit = Tank gear

think you got the point. Most of dk Dps gear is swap over to tank gear... Mastery yes is our best stat and its mostly on every Dps gear i have ran into. Haste is a nice addition to it. (I am field testing it now see if i can sneak more Ds + More Dps), over all any haste + Mastery (Forge Haste > Exp or Hit) any gear of course with Crit Mast (Forge Crit > Exp or Hit). the fact that gear is cross over (can use it for dps or tank) makes it high end and worth it. i wouldnt per say go crit / haste gear just cuz its lost of Mastery/hit/exp/perry/dodge so try to stay away from that.

Like i said ANYTHING with Mastery on it is your best friend. i would almost even go to gem Str+Mast in red slots, just cuz Str=Parry=same conversion (I do believe).
    As of right now our 2/4 set bonus is shit, (well its ok but to me shit imo), i would spend more time grabing better stat gear. i could post my armory if you like.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Started at like 510 iLvL for heroics this tier and finished around 535. You can absolutely do everything in full DPS gear and stat weights as a blood DK with the iLvL you have right now, it's actually probably preferred because the damage difference will be quite noticeable. The only fight I stacked mastery on was Horridon heroic for the first few weeks.

Haste > crit > mastery after expertise/hit soft caps is perfectly viable. Just use your fully unholy setup and pretend your a DPS, but as blood. You should do fine. Focus on maximizing as many DS/min.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    for 10m normal modes you can tank in pure dps gear no problem... my dps gear is around 520 ilvl now and more crit oriented than haste and i've downed every boss in that set.

you should have 0 problems in 542 dps gear.