Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
8
9
10
  1. #181
    Pandaren Monk Templar 331's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Waycross, GA
    Posts
    1,920
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    I'm not sure you know what hyperbole means. If I were being hyperbolic I would be exaggerating. I am not, however, exaggerating. The US Government has, quite in fact, committed acts strikingly similar to those of Josef Mengele. That's not hyperbole. That's historic fact.
    So a bunch of racist in the PHS = US government abusing power? Not seeing it. But as a result of this atrocious behavior,

    Revelation of study failures by a whistleblower led to major changes in U.S. law and regulation on the protection of participants in clinical studies. Now studies require informed consent, communication of diagnosis, and accurate reporting of test results.
    And hyperbole,

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole

    Hyperbole is the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is not meant to be taken literally. Hyperboles are exaggerations to create emphasis or effect.
    You are exaggerating things out of proportion. No government is perfect. No person is perfect. But claiming the government of today is like the 3rd Reich, or the government of the early last century, is hyperbole.

  2. #182
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Hitler also has highways built but no one ever compares someone to him for that.

    Unless you're talking about taking over a country or committing genocide comparisons are never valid.
    Setting aside the fact that you are denying the similarities between US' unwitting human experimentation and Mengele's unwilling human experimentation, your example ALSO happens to be something the US has a history of doing... at least when it comes to taking over countries.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    So a bunch of racist in the PHS = US government abusing power? Not seeing it. But as a result of this atrocious behavior,



    And hyperbole,

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole



    You are exaggerating things out of proportion. No government is perfect. No person is perfect. But claiming the government of today is like the 3rd Reich, or the government of the early last century, is hyperbole.
    I didn't say the government today was like that. I said the government has a history of such actions.

    Furthermore, to pretend the things (or similar) that happened in the past could never happen again is simply head-in-the-sand ignorance.

  3. #183
    Pandaren Monk Templar 331's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Waycross, GA
    Posts
    1,920
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    I didn't say the government today was like that. I said the government has a history of such actions.

    Furthermore, to pretend the things (or similar) that happened in the past could never happen again is simply head-in-the-sand ignorance.
    You seem to be ignoring a little something called laws. We now have laws that protect people from experiments like this. From your own link.

    The Tuskegee Syphilis Study, cited as "arguably the most infamous biomedical research study in U.S. history," led to the 1979 Belmont Report and the establishment of the Office for Human Research Protections (OHRP). It also led to federal laws and regulations requiring Institutional Review Boards for the protection of human subjects in studies involving human subjects. The Office for Human Research Protections (OHRP) manages this responsibility within the US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).
    Before the experiment, there were no laws protecting people from unethical medical experiments. And now there are. It was an abuse of power because there was not a law against what they did. Now that there is, they can't repeat it without punishment. This is how government works.

  4. #184
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Highly disturbing. I never expected this behavior from Obama back in 2007. He is everything he claimed he was not. This stuff is the type of stuff that Hitler or the KGB used to do.
    and the bush administration didnt?

    iirc, the previous admin's made up a few white lies and used it to invade another country and start a war, then tried to justify it with other means. Hitler did the same thing to Poland, France, and Russia.

    don't be a sheep and continue to be brain washed by republican news media thinking our current administration are nazi socialists or communists. Those are scare tactics used to scare you like an older brother scares his little brother by telling him their's a boogieman in the closet.
    Last edited by Masterpd85; 2013-07-12 at 05:12 PM.

  5. #185
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterpd85 View Post
    and the bush administration didnt?

    iirc, the previous admin's made up a few white lies and used it to invade another country and start a war, then tried to justify it with other means. Hitler did the same thing to Poland, France, and Russia.

    don't be a sheep and continue to be brain washed by republican news media thinking our current administration are nazi socialists or communists. Those are scare tactics used to scare you like an older brother scares his little brother by telling him their's a boogieman in the closet.
    I think Futurama is appropriate here.

    Just pretend one side is the Democrats and the other is the Republicans when it comes to our actions.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •