Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Bloodsail Admiral Master Jinora's Avatar

5.4 ~ The Biggest WoW patch yet?

Look at all the new features! It seems every week we find out about another big piece of 5.4, and amazingly, it still isn't done! What do you guys think, biggest WoW patch ever?
    Last edited by Master Jinora; 2013-07-10 at 07:33 AM.
    "Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind."
    — Zaheer

All raid patchs in MoP are really big.

Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post
    cataclysm, seriously.
    Excluding expansions, I mean patches.
    — Zaheer

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Excluding expansions, I mean patches.
    the cataclysm was a patch.
    it happened about a week or so before the expac and changed all EK and KD content.

it happened about a week or so before the expac and changed all EK and KD content.
    No, those were expansion features.. They are just added in advance to get the systems loaded in, it doesn't count as a patch before it IS the jump between 3.x-4.x, god I hate it when people bring up technicalities so aggressively.
    — Zaheer

4.0.1 was a patch

Im very curious what those 'big pieces that we are getting every week' you are talking about...

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    No, those were expansion features.. They are just added in advance to get the systems loaded in, it doesn't count as a patch before it IS the jump between 3.x-4.x, god I hate it when people bring up technicalities so aggressively.
    Well, you didn't have to pay for the Azeroth changes so I guess you could consider it separate from the expansion content.
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2013-07-10 at 07:54 AM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    I'm determined to someday make Med'an awesome. (MickyNeilson)

´So.. sorry to bring this up but..you know that .."thing" (Med'an).. is that "thing" cannon still?
    ...as much have some have wished otherwise, yes. (Loreology)

cataclysm.
    Cataclysm was not as big as you are giving it credit for being, it had alot sure but alot was rehashed slightly changed stuff.

And yea OP so far seems this is easily one of the biggest if not biggest patches since i started playing wow, i just wonder how much will make it to live.

No that was part of the expansion release.

5.2 was the largest patch to date [most content in one patch] and 5.4 may top it.

Gates of Aq event.

Patch was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by JudgePayne View Post
    Gates of Aq event.

Patch was amazing.
    Overrated beyond belief just like world pvp.

And it also was badly implemented causing high lag and server crashes.

Quote Originally Posted by Haytham View Post
    Overrated beyond belief just like world pvp.

And it also was badly implemented causing high lag and server crashes.
    Did we play the same event, World pvp - Amazing multi chain quest with never before seen bosses that took you all over azeroth - two new raids with all new bosses and mechanics.

World of Warcraft Client Patch 1.9.0

The Gates of Ahn'Qiraj world event.
    Instances
    The Ruins of Ahn'Qiraj (outdoor 20-player instance)
    The Temple of Ahn'Qiraj (indoor 40-player instance)
    New Tier2 Epic Armor Models
    Linked Auction Houses <- This happened
    Multiple Battlegrounds Queues<-Pvpers loved this
    Raid Dungeons Timers (Forum Post)
    Timbermaw Hold Quests Revamp
    Shard Bags - Confirmed in the 1.9 patch notes
    Food Buffs no longer stack

Troll Berserking

New functionality: Berserking is now an activated ability that increases your melee, ranged, and casting speed by 10% to 30%. The value scales upwards towards 30% depending how low your health is when you activate the ability.

Ignoring nostalgia people, and those who want to get all technical.

Yes 5.4 looks to be the biggest patch ever... Honestly 5.3 was complete crap.. and I think a lot of stuff from 5.3 got pushed back to 5.4
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Did we play the same event, World pvp - Amazing multi chain quest with never before seen bosses that took you all over azeroth - two new raids with all new bosses and mechanics.

Instances

Troll Berserking

New functionality: Berserking is now an activated ability that increases your melee, ranged, and casting speed by 10% to 30%. The value scales upwards towards 30% depending how low your health is when you activate the ability.
    It was new and the first time blizz ever made something as big in WoW that's why some think it was the masterpiece of patches. But was not without it's flaws.

Imo the current patches are better but just to linear.

All have their own personal opinion ofc,if you like it fine , i just think it's overrated

All the Wrath->Cataclysm changes happened over a few patches, actually ... 4.01 (systems patch), 4.01a (just bug fixes, doesn't really count), 4.03 (minor systems changes, some bug fixes), 4.03a (the Shattering).

So, as far as this discussion ... content/systems are kinda difficult to weigh with regard to "size" ... particularly with regard to what you define each as encompassing. The Shattering covered content from 1-60, and quite literally changed just about the entire old world. How do you compare 60 levels of quests spanning so many zones against a tier with 19 raid bosses in two zones (counting Siege of Orgrimmar as one zone, despite its multiple locations ... along with world bosses on Timeless Isle).

In any event I think the argument comes down to whether 4.03a or 5.4 are the "biggest" patches in the game. 5.4 is in there because it will include plenty of systems changes, which had already occurred in a patch prior to the Shattering. Flex raid is huge, virtual realms are huge.

Really I think it's sort of impossible to say without more-specific parameters; you can make an argument for either of them.

So far it is looking to be the largest in terms of features excluding an initial expansion patch. Content wise right now it feels on par with the other big ones. Add them up and I say its the largest.

Warchief

Instances
    Troll Berserking
    Just to compare in 5.4 we have:

- A 14 Boss raid
    - Proving Grounds
    - Arena system revamp
    - Virtual Realms
    - Flex raiding (A new difficulty)
    - Timeless Isle (Not sure what it will be for yet but definitely for legendary)
    - Legendary continuation
    - Enchantment changes (Scales with levels)
    - Major class changes
    - It is speculated that blizz is experimenting with adding more class specific quests like warlock has green fire etc
    Totaling us: 9 (Disregarding the speculation) and as yours it would give us 8 (Joining the 2 instances and ignoring tier 2 models since its something normal to include models for tier sets)

But to be fair, lets wait and see when it's fully finished and find out how it will turn out as so far it is the biggest WoW patch imo.

Patch 2.2 was obviously the biggest. It gave us voice chat.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    I'm determined to someday make Med'an awesome. (MickyNeilson)

´So.. sorry to bring this up but..you know that .."thing" (Med'an).. is that "thing" cannon still?
    ...as much have some have wished otherwise, yes. (Loreology)