Making the switch from US to EU?

Hello, My current schedule doesn't allow me to raid during the normal raiding times ( 5pm-1am) so I am thinking of making the switch from US to EU.

I will have to start over since there is no US to EU switch.

Is there any huge differences?

How is the lag?

Well Known Servers?

How competitive is it vs US?
    ( More top EU guilds vs US in PvE, Challenge runs, and Ilevel )

I wouldn't know where to check to see how they rank in PvP.

Subscriptions EU vs US?

Thanks

I played on EU most of TBC until mid-ulduar (also had my US account but was only casually levelling my Warrior here until then).

Your MS will jump quite a bit, 300+ will be common if you normal sit at around 50 (thats assuming you're east coast).

Not sure about competitivity, from my experience there's more Hardcore players in europe but i don't think making yourself a spot in a decent EU guild is any harder than a US one.

For PvP, check Stormscale if you plan to play Horde or Outland if you're going alliance, assuming you're looking for english-speaking servers.

Otherwise i don't remember any major difference, the playerbase is very diverse though, with a large amount of accents considering how many different countries it serves so it might be a bit offsetting at first. I know as a french-canadian i was getting spotted right away by french players when on vent haha.

I started on EU about 3 or 4 years ago (played US from release to the end of TBC) to play with friends from another game. The biggest difference is the time difference, I'm currently 6 hours behind server time. Maintenance and raid resets happens Wednesday instead of Tuesday.

The player base is almost the exactly the same, the people I raided with on EU acted just like the people I raided with US.

As far as lag it is a bit higher, my ping is usually about 200.

I played Horde (still have some toons there) on Stormscale and there are always people on, even at 3am server time Org is full of people.

The cost will be a bit higher, I'm assume you are in Canada or USA so the exchange rate will cause your monthly subscription go up and down abit, it cost me $18.01 CDN last month (12.99 EUR). Some of the extra services if they are $20 US they are 20 Pounds so it would be almost $30 US. And some extra feature won't work at all, because my account is set to Canada I can't use Refer-A-Friend because it's not one of the allowed countries.
    Last edited by Ratboy; 2013-07-10 at 05:16 PM.

Oh the higher price... thats right.

Quote Originally Posted by Yobtar View Post
    I started on EU about 3 or 4 years ago (played US from release to the end of TBC) to play with friends from another game. The biggest difference is the time difference, I'm currently 6 hours behind server time. Maintenance and raid resets happens Wednesday instead of Tuesday.

The player base is almost the exactly the same, the people I raided with on EU acted just like the people I raided with US.

As far as lag it is a bit higher, my ping is usually about 200.

I played Horde (still have some toons there) on Stormscale and there are always people on, even at 3am server time Org is full of people.

The cost will be a bit higher, I'm assume you are in Canada or USA so the exchange rate will cause your monthly subscription go up and down abit, it cost me $18.01 CDN last month (12.99 EUR). Some of the extra services if they are $20 US they are 20 Pounds so it would be almost $30 US. And some extra feature won't work at all, because my account is set to Canada I can't use Refer-A-Friend because it's not one of the allowed countries.
    I overlooked the exchange rates but thats true, back then i didn't have a credit card so i was buying physical time cards, and those are the same prices.

Timezone difference is an obvious thing too but i didn't mention it since aparently it fits the OP's schedule better. Personally its why i quit there and carried on in US, coming home at 5-6pm when its midnight over there got boring quickly when my late night raiding guild (well late night for EU) disbanded.