Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Yea, but he said I wouldn't like it. I'm not a jumping puzzle enthusiast, but do enjoy the actual dungeons in the game. Seems like AR would be right up my alley if I hadn't missed out.
    It was a fun dungeon but a bit on the hard side, especially if you took people below 80. Additionally, people played really stupidly most of the time and then would leave, etc making it a bit of a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    AR was advertised as having a "mini" jumping puzzle in it... which turned out to be the jumping on the stem vents thing to get up to the last boss.
    Not really sure I would call that a jumping puzzle..it's like 6 jump pads and once one person hits the top and turns off the shield nobody else even needs to do it.

Can someone explain what fractals really are?

They are mini dungeons that you do in random order. Not as long as a true dungeon w/ some various gimmicks/mechanics such as traps, stealth or jumping elements in place of non-stop trash clears of typical dungeons.

As you clear the fractals you rise in rank. Rank makes the fractals harder via a debuff mechanism called agony. Agony is combated by having ascended gear- gained through fractals, events and mini games.

So you have rapid fire dungeons that get harder & harder with a discrete progressing path unique to those specific set of dungeons; aka fractals.

Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    Not really sure I would call that a jumping puzzle..it's like 6 jump pads and once one person hits the top and turns off the shield nobody else even needs to do it.
    I agree, I was just saying before the dungeon came out Arenanet was referring to it as a mini jumping puzzle.

@Evyan - Fractals are a collection of "mini dungeons". There are different levels, and each level is made-up of 3 of the mini dungeons which are randomly selected. After you finish an even numbered level there is a bonus instance where you fight the eyeballed tentacle monster. After each set, is complete you can move to the next level. The fractals get progressively harder the higher the levels go. /in a nutshell

/ninja Fencers QQ

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I was told Aetherblade Retreat was like a honest-to-goodness dungeon. Are you suggesting that it is more of a jumping puzzle/mini game thing?
    what I meant was: It's just really comparable to the Molten Factory. People say it's more difficult, I find it on the same level honestly. GW2 hasn't turned into a raid-game suddenly, it's still very much the same game highly dependant on reactions. I heard that the design is awesome as it hurts Berserker-builds who shut down their brain, more than before. I can't say since I despise pure Berserker-builds, I prefer balanced builds. If you were looking for much more difficult content (which I think you were) then you'd have to look somewhere else.

Sure it was difficult for some... but with the right group it's not harder than the Molten Factory really.

Quote Originally Posted by Evyan View Post
    It's a series of 9 mini-dungeons which are very varied in it's design. You can replay certain happenings in the history of Tyria like the Charr Invasion of Ascalon for example. In one run you get 3 random dungeons one after another. Once you've completed those, you rise in "dungeon-level" (the difficulty of those dungeons). The next time you'll enter it will be again 3 of those 9 dungeons, but a bit harder than before.
    Last edited by Maarius; 2013-07-11 at 07:30 PM.

Oh I understand now, I think. Sounds fun! I remember doing those when they released but always got the asura and norn part, didn't really understand the goal.
    Thanks for the nice replies guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    I heard that the design is awesome as it hurts Berserker-builds who shut down their brain, more than before. I can't say since I despise pure Berserker-builds, I prefer balanced builds.
    Not really. What they did was make shadow shot from Mai Trinn undodgeable which meant that most people running zerker gear would get one-shot when targeted. That's a horrible design mechanic and a really bad way to make people feel non zerker gear is good/viable/wanted/... You simply punish people who took the time to l2p and reward the ones who like face-tanking damage and then complain about stuff being too hard.

It's not like there wasn't any other way around her shadow shot. It can be blocked/blind/invul. Not to mention encounters were not really designed around full zerker gear (nor is full zerker gear only effective, some people maybe take 2 or 3 pieces).

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    It's not like there wasn't any other way around her shadow shot. It can be blocked/blind/invul. Not to mention encounters were not really designed around full zerker gear (nor is full zerker gear only effective, some people maybe take 2 or 3 pieces).
    That's going with the premise that players run defensive weapons like mace/shield/scepter(mesmer)/gs(ranger)/... GC players don't run that stuff since it entirely defeats the purpose of being GC: "Yea man I rock full zerker gear to maximise DPS, but I use mace/shield though so I can block attacks."

Same for invulnerability. There are no more inherent invulnerabilities, you have to use a utility skill to do it now.

Blind is the only "reliable" way of avoiding it if your team has blinds of course...

If you introduce one set of gear that clearly is better itemized than every other, you should make sure to keep that gear set in mind when designing encounters. Not doing so is simply stupid.

If you're not running full zerker gear that means there's still room for you to improve. Up until Mai Trin every encounter can be done without dropping if you use full GC builds, needing to go <full zerker means you simply have room to improve. I also don't care about what is and isn't effective, the only thing I (and the zerker "community") care about is efficiency but I've been over that before.

What they did with Mai Trin was force people who actually know how to play into grabbing certain gear/skills to do the fight. The opposite hasn't happened before (and I doubt it ever will) and quite frankly I find it appalling that anyone thinks this sort of "reasoning" is OK. I'd love to hear the outcry if a-net did make an encounter tuned solely for a 4w1m/3w/1g/1m group rocking full zerker.
    It seems like tuning people out of content isn't OK if it are less dedicated or worse players but when it's hard-core/good players it's all fair?

The difference is simple: hard-core players don't like something, do it anyway and then complain/give feedback. Casual players don't like something, complain/give feedback and then possibly maybe bother to actually do it if it got changed the way they wanted it to be changed.

(Sorry for the very drastic generalizations but I'm trying to make a point.)

Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    what I meant was: It's just really comparable to the Molten Factory. People say it's more difficult, I find it on the same level honestly. GW2 hasn't turned into a raid-game suddenly, it's still very much the same game highly dependant on reactions. I heard that the design is awesome as it hurts Berserker-builds who shut down their brain, more than before. I can't say since I despise pure Berserker-builds, I prefer balanced builds. If you were looking for much more difficult content (which I think you were) then you'd have to look somewhere else.

Sure it was difficult for some... but with the right group it's not harder than the Molten Factory really.
    Not sure why you seem to be so concerned with difficulty and raiding when I am not. XD

I simply read AR was a well made dungeon dungeon. One which I missed out on due to work/house remodeling. If it were a well made jumping puzzle or mini-game, I would still like to try it having missed out.

I simply read AR was a well made dungeon dungeon. One which I missed out on due to work/house remodeling.
    Over molten facility? No I can't even say it comes close to that level of polish. The last boss of AR I would say is slightly harder though, but the lazer room boss is just utter bull crap and the trash mobs along with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    Not really. What they did was make shadow shot from Mai Trinn undodgeable which meant that most people running zerker gear would get one-shot when targeted. That's a horrible design mechanic and a really bad way to make people feel non zerker gear is good/viable/wanted/... You simply punish people who took the time to l2p and reward the ones who like face-tanking damage and then complain about stuff being too hard.
    You actually could dodge that attack enough so that you took minimal damage (3000 total). Her tell was pretty telegraphed. I did it all the time. Of course, lots of people in my pugs took awhile to get it.

Over molten facility? No I can't even say it comes close to that level of polish. The last boss of AR I would say is slightly harder though, but the lazer room boss is just utter bull crap and the trash mobs along with it.
    No, I just read AR was generally a good dungeon.

Maarius mentioned Molten Facility as a point of comparison. Molten I already played and thus would not vote for in fractal form. Molten was meh, not bad but meh.

10+ Year Old Account
    You could also reflect it for a sexy 20k crit to her face =D, did I mention I love my ele? Got every AR achievement with em and he was only like lv 55!

If you can't tell I'll probably vote for Kiel, as much as I'd love to vote for someone less Lawfull, I don't trust Evon, and he's hardly being a very good briber.... Then again if he makes the keys dirt cheap, I may be persuaded otherwise....
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

If they make black lion chests actually good Evon might stand a chance. Fact is the chests are awful, whenever they put an RNG skin in it the drop rate is awful and not everyone buys black lion keys (since gems are expensive for gold) however EVERYONE uses waypoints. The fact that the benefit for evon is so god damn awful it makes me think they did it on purpose so Kiel will win.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they make black lion chests actually good Evon might stand a chance. Fact is the chests are awful, whenever they put an RNG skin in it the drop rate is awful and not everyone buys black lion keys (since gems are expensive for gold) however EVERYONE uses waypoints. The fact that the benefit for evon is so god damn awful it makes me think they did it on purpose so Kiel will win.
    Idk Zito, if they became something dirt cheap like 10 gems a LOT of people would be more willing to gamble their money for the chance at the permanent bank access, or merchant or any of the other fancy rare drops in those chests.

And if you checked the official forums most the people there seem to hate Kiel (I'm still trying to figure out why) and won't vote for her even with her perks.
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    You actually could dodge that attack enough so that you took minimal damage (3000 total). Her tell was pretty telegraphed. I did it all the time. Of course, lots of people in my pugs took awhile to get it.
    I have videos of me using various skills to get away and always being hit for around 8k-10k dmg. Double dodge,teleport and lightning reflexes did jack shit so I highly doubt you took off 30% of the damage of a single-blow skill by movement.

What I did find was that upping my armor to 1.3k made the shot deal a lowsy 2k damage. So I take it you're either:
    A) rocking toughness somewhere
    B) had banner of defense down
    C) had near constant protection
    D) are simply wrong
    E) all of the above

I've checked all videos available and everyone who solo'd that fight was using toughness or a high hp+high heal build...

I have videos of me using various skills to get away and always being hit for around 8k-10k dmg. Double dodge,teleport and lightning reflexes did jack shit so I highly doubt you took off 30% of the damage of a single-blow skill by movement.

What I did find was that upping my armor to 1.3k made the shot deal a lowsy 2k damage. So I take it you're either:
    D) are simply wrong
    E) all of the above

I've checked all videos available and everyone who solo'd that fight was using toughness or a high hp+high heal build...
    Heh. I did have about 1000 toughness on myself. I thought my dodge would save me from the initial attack and got out of the way of her follow up bleed attack but I guess it just helped getting out of the way of her bleed attack. Had no idea that amount of toughness (which isn't a huge amount) would make that much of a difference.

10+ Year Old Account

D) are simply wrong
    E) all of the above

Keep in mind she does more damage the further you are from her so if they used a skill like Bulls Rush, it's very plausible the damage she would've done tanked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    From information gathered in the .dat file it looks like in the upcoming patch we will get to choose what dungeon we would like to come back in Fractals by voting in the Council election.

Captain Ellen Kiel - Aetherblade Retreat (+ 50% reduction on waypoint fees)
    Evon Gnashblade - Molten Facility (+ cheaper Black Lion Keys)
    I wonder why it wasn't mentioned yet that someone who might or might not be Arena-Net's Colin Johanson has replied to the original Reddit-Post:

Be very careful about assuming what you find in the .dat is exactly what you'll see on live going forward. With our new feature development technology to allow multiple teams to overlap, you could be looking at extremely out of date text/info, or content we experimented with we aren't doing.
    Sing like no one is listening - Love like you've never been hurt
    Dance like no one is watching - Masturbate like no one else is on the bus