10+ Year Old Account

Time Passed. Refreshed build help question - you know you love it

You guys are the experts. You love sharing the wisdom and shredding us noob when we present our build thoughts. You guys have been extremely helpful in the past when I was asking about a system, but months have passed and quite a bit of new stuff has come around. Since I last asked months back, the haswell is now out, and I've come to really like the Corsair 350D (w/window). So that puts a little restraint in some mobo options. Here was my stab using pcpartpicker. I follow it up with some of questions I couldnt really answer for myself:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1fgxQ
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1fgxQ/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1fgxQ/benchmarks/

First off: why I need this. I will be doing lots of video editing/rendering/transcoding. Also Software development that will invovle multiple varieties of simulators. I do not game that much, but would like to get back into that, and I would like the games to look awesome. I already have twin 24" LED Monitors for my "work". I plan to use those. I need to bluray burner since the final/composed videos need to be written to both dvd and to bluray. Lastly, one thing I like about the Maximus VI gene is the mPCIe combo II since it will allow me to figure out how to get wifi there which can save me physical space and power plugs for an external box. already have to many "external" components and devices.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($103.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VI GENE Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($209.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($126.00 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($219.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($409.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Corsair 350D Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On IHBS112-29 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($89.99 @ Amazon)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit) ($129.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1789.91
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-10 16:02 EDT-0400)

1) why 4770k over 3770k, its newer, since I dont replaced computer but every 5+ years, I should get a bit more
    future proof with that CPU and socket set on the mobo.
    2) I think the 750 PSU is big, maybe to big? not sure about how much bronze vs gold vs platinum means to me.
    3) I plan to dabble in OC, so I thought H100i was reasonable. Read that switching out the fans with the SP120 quiet
    ones are often a decent idea. thoughts on that?
    4) dont care about the ODD brand really, just didnt know which are "good". Ideally would like a slot feed one.
    5) Months ago I settled on the gtx 670. The 770 is about the same price and as good/better than the 680 so
    seemed ok. not sure on Gigabyte OC windforce vs the EVGA w/ACX cooler. open to thoughts.

My #1 goal is to now pinch and squeeze every single penny, but I also dont want to vastly over pay.
    I was thinking of having ironsidecomputers to the build (gasp I know I know. I should do it). But in the grand
    scheme, there are other things I would rather do with my time, and its not likely that I would draw any great
    pride from doing my first build, though I know the help is out there. Since ironside computers offer FULL 3 year
    warranty and the know what they are doing.. I feel I am willing to pay some level of premium. I dont have their
    offer price on this.. but hoping they come in about $2200 give or take.

You guys have also offered great views and helped me to tweak my expectations and needs in what is way overkill and what is ok. So thanks for the time in reading this, and I look forward to all the replies. Including the "build it yourself you bum" ones
    [talk about taking out the trash]
    Gateway GX7022e Pentium (R) D @ 3.00GHz | nVidia GeForce 6200 | 2GB of Joe blows RAM | ancient WD 300GB HDD | Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002 | wrapped in ugly Grey/Black generic Gateway box
    [yes its time for a new rig!]

10+ Year Old Account
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.97 @ Outlet PC)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($103.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Asus Z87-K ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($122.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Patriot Viper 3 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($112.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($659.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Corsair 550D ATX Mid Tower Case ($127.98 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($66.98 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit) ($129.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1890.85
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-10 17:01 EDT-0400)

How's this look? I shaved some money off which was enough to net you with a 780, which should prove to be a very satisfying GPU. It'll be a lot better for 3d rendering aswell.

It's about the same price as your build but much better with the 780 (which is a cut down titan). I also put the case in their as a placeholder cause i couldnt' find the 350D on PCpartpicker and was too lazy to manually enter it.

10+ Year Old Account
    build it yourself you bum

Seriously though, the build looks good. I do have a few comments, though.

Firstly, you might consider a non-pro Samsung 840. I don't think anything you're doing benefits from the faster write speed.

Second, a "Gold" certified PSU really doesn't benefit you at all. A bronze will do just fine. In fact, a 550-600w will do you just fine too. A seasonic 620 M12II might be in order. I probably wouldn't drop below 550 though. Stress tests put you at about 400w with a good 20-30% overhead that is the sweet spot.

Thirdly, unless Win8 Pro has something you need, just get the standard Win8 and save $40.

Personally, not a huge fan of the Gene board, but I prefer lower prices. There's nothing -wrong- with it (don't get me wrong, its a high quality board), and if you feel you want/need it's features, roll it.

I was going to say 'skip evga' on the card, but it looks like they have their act together and stopped using single cooler solutions, so you ought to be fine with that. I still prefer Gigabyte or MSI, but I don't see anything wrong with -that- evga card. They also still have their "Step Up" program, which you may be able to take advantage of later.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Worth noting that i just put windows pro and the 840 pro in there cause OP had it in there. But i do agree with the above. I don't think you'll be needing either for anything you do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    It's about the same price as your build but much better with the 780 (which is a cut down titan). I also put the case in their as a placeholder cause i couldnt' find the 350D on PCpartpicker and was too lazy to manually enter it.
    Perhaps a typo on the 350d it came right up for me. Its a mATX case

- - - Updated - - -

I selected the pro version of widows 8 as I use/need the remote desktop and corporate domain login/sharing features as I use my home PC's to gain access to work as well.

I will look into the seasonic PSU. Thanks!
    [talk about taking out the trash]
    Gateway GX7022e Pentium (R) D @ 3.00GHz | nVidia GeForce 6200 | 2GB of Joe blows RAM | ancient WD 300GB HDD | Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002 | wrapped in ugly Grey/Black generic Gateway box
    [yes its time for a new rig!]

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jetguat View Post
    Perhaps a typo on the 350d it came right up for me. Its a mATX case
    Oh. I spose you'd need a micro ATX board then

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.97 @ Outlet PC)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($100.25 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus Z87M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($134.85 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Patriot Viper 3 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($112.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($659.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Corsair 350D Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($66.98 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $1870.98
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-11 00:36 EDT-0400)

There you go. With the 350D window and Micro ATX board.

Only love it in the correct section.
    Thread moved.

Deleted
    There's only two things I'd really change, and those are down to personal taste. The case can be changed to the Fractal Design Core 1000 with a little work, and the BDRW to the LG one at ~$85.