Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

[10m] Iron Qon Norm Question

Hey fellas!

We'll be running Iron Qon tonight for our first time and was just curious as to his first Quillen, Ro'shak. Seeing as we are extremely heavy on melee for tonight (potentially up to four melee DPS), I was curious to know if there is any form of 'burn' strategy or if, aside from using Lust at the start, you simply have to deal with each mechanic as they come. I'm not opposed to running it as it was made but I fear Ro'shak will burn us due to high stacks before we burn him.

Our group tonight will consist of:
    Unholy Death Knight
    Combat Rogue
    Fury Warrior
    Retribution Paladin
    Survival Hunter
    Discipline Priest
    Restoration Shaman
    Restoration Druid
    Guardian Druid
    Blood Death Knight

Our average gear level with these players comes to about 520. We'll be popping Lust right off the bat
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Deleted
    When we got our first kill we used two groups: 2 ranged groups of 3 people, and one melee group of 4.
    In our case that group of 4 consisted of our 2 tanks and the 2 melee dps, but in your case you might as well make the the melee group of 4 the seperate group, and put one healer with the 2 tanks.
    As long as the 4 melee know when to hug each other, and when to spread out better, it should be no problem.

Ofc there is also tactics viable with having one group of 3 people, and one of 7 people, so you can stack the debuff higher with stronger aoe heals. ... i can not really comment on that thoughs, since we never did it that way, but i hear other groups did it.
    It's maybe not the most ideal situation with 4 melee (mostly on Quillen 3, when you wanna lose your debuffs by spreading out), but it's definately possible I say.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Rustweaver View Post
    Our group tonight will consist of:
    Unholy Death Knight
    Combat Rogue
    Fury Warrior
    Retribution Paladin
    Survival Hunter
    Discipline Priest
    Restoration Shaman
    Restoration Druid
    Guardian Druid
    Blood Death Knight
    I would suggest a "normal" method similar to what Qwerty suggested. With your composition, I'd pair up melee into 3 groups of two players and form a max-melee range triangle around Ro'shak (as seen below for points A, B, and C). This will prevent melee from being too close and causing stacks that you don't want.

Code:
         A

B         C
    Assuming Tanks are stacked on Point A, and 2 DPS are each stacked on Points B and C, then once the fight begins, a pre-determined melee from Point B (for example) moves to Point A and stacks with the tank, while the two melee at Point C and the remaining single melee from Point B sustain their positions. This will force 3 people onto Point A and trigger stacks on the tank group at Point A.

Once Point A/Tank Group has 3 stacks, then the melee that moved goes back to their original position at Point B. Now the other melee from Point B moves over to Point C to join the other two melee there, and this group of three now gets 3 stacks, before the other melee that moved then goes back to the original spot at Point B.

Once the second melee trio has acquired their 3-stack, wait for the second spear cast, then have the four ranged stack up for their 3-stacks. Afterward when the ranged spread out again, the melee stacks will be resetting and the process repeats with the tanks+extra again. With this method, waiting between spear casts for ranged especially, you can go forever quite easily.

Good luck!

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the suggestions! I'll be sure to pass this information on to the raid leader.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The only true "hard" part will be to get out of the Storm in P2 and managing P1 with six Melees.
    In P1 it will be crucial to stack up perfectly. I´d suggest that youbuild 1 range camp consisting of your healers and the hunter and three smaller melee camps, consisting of 2tanks(A) / 2melees(B) / 2melees(C).
    To no time three melees may stand in a cluster without it being their turn to catch the fire. Let the ranged group soak 2 stacks. Make then one of the Melees move to the camp of the other melees (B to CC). They will soak the next two stacks. Make that Melee return to his original group (B back to BB) and make the other, unused melee run to the tanks after that (B to AA). Let them soak the next two stacks. Then the Melee returns to his former position (B back to BB) and the ranged group stacks up (DDDD).
    It will look a bit like this:

Code:
                                     CC           BB                                          A = Tanks
    DDDD                                                                                      B = Melees 1 & 2
                                           Boss                                               C = Melees 3 & 4
                                                                                              D = Ranges/Healers
                                            AA

For P2, you will have to use cooldowns. If your damage is good, try to keep it with one stormphase. Not more than two should be your goal. Make your druids use their stampeding roar. Don´t forget, that Symbiosis on a Fury gives them stampeding roar as well. Make your priest leap of faith people out. And remember: It´s always smarter to cross a whirwind´s path BEHIND the whirlwind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

I know that some guilds do it with two groups of five people. That would allow you to make a group 2tans+3ranged and a group 4melee+1ranged. I've never tried it myself but it seems possible and maybe easier.
    Handling p2 without being able to teleport a healer out of the tornado zone (by either a warlock portal or having a monk heal) may be really hard. Almost 100% of our try before the first down ended at the first tornado phase. The next week, we had a warlock and one shot the boss. It's not the same fight at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's much easier to keep your melee+tanks as a single group and use 2 groups of 5 instead of the 3 group strats suggested above. We use it on our alt group.
    You'll have your entire ranged in the same group and everyone else in another group. Make sure your ranged is moving at the same direction away from spears and use personal cds if they took the fire lines.
    You just need to take 4 stacks for each group and make sure you use raid cd for 3rd and 4th stacks.