Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Maybe those people who make videos should go out and get a decent income support then if ads are missing from their twitch.tv.

If they really trusted their fanbase and respected them, they'd have no ads and simply have a donate box.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Well, Curse does offer a "Premium", which costs like 5€/month, and you get all kinds of crap with it, none of which seems useful to me personally, but with it comes an "ad-free experience."

However, now that I think of it a bit more, I don't think I'd pay a cent after all. I don't feel like being held hostage over advertising.

"Pay us or we'll shove ads in your face!"

Yeah, no thanks. Free browser addons work better.
    Last I checked curse was costing me £1.20 a month. If I'm so hard up I can't afford £15 a year which is the total cost, then I really need to find a better income lol.

Yes they don't offer a great deal in the way of premium services but it also means I don't get that crappy ad thing that pops up when I open my client, the client itself auto-installs and updates my addons which is great because I've lost track over the years of how many times there's been a new patch, hot fix or expansion and then having to sit there manually updating them one by one when all I wanna do is get online.

I'm not sure what most people have addon wise but I currently have 149 installed and manually updating them 2 at a time can be a pain in the royal neck :P
    Where as being able to wake up on a launch morning or patch day and finding my client has already auto updated what it can while authors are making more and more changes as they gain access to more content etc is just awesome.

Personally I don't mind this small charge, if other sites took there example from this then I'm sure more people would sub up but when you start looking at it like someone else posted earlier - with a higher price comes inflation not only for you the customer but also for the site you're using because the more bandwidth that's used by their site, the more they have to buy themselves in turn to handle all the traffic.

I've already stated I do use ABP with firefox so don't get me wrong I'm not condoning sites that use ads or the maliciousness of 99% of the ads out there because in truth more often then not those ads and pop ups usually are spam and do attack/try to install crap on your pc.

Few things I got to point out though:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...f-mmo-champion

http://wow.joystiq.com/2009/05/05/15...-mmo-champion/

http://www.wowwiki.com/MMO_Champion

http://www.wowwiki.com/Curse_%28site%29

http://wow.joystiq.com/2010/07/20/cu...-mmo-champion/

The point I want to make with these links is this, I already pay monthly to curse so when it comes to using their other sites I don't feel guilty about blocking anything that's gonna pop up, annoy me or try installing crap on my pc.

But does this mean I should have to pay for each site so I don't see ads on them as well as the original subscription I have with the owners main site? No I shouldn't.

When you look at the traffic on a daily basis that comes through mmo-champion alone, that small charge of £1.25 a month is nothing if it all worked as a single payment plan i.e - you pay the charge every month through the main provider site, in this case, curse.com and in turn you should get an ad free experience on all their other sites also but that's just my own opinion. I don't know what the over all costs in terms of how much their total bandwidth costs or what their employee salaries are so is possible this £1.25 a month would need to go up a fraction but so what, as long as it stays £5 or less a month for full coverage on all their sites, I'd still happily pay it.

Last night there was 34,780 actively online. So just working on the basis of all those people subbed to the £1.25 or £5 a month plan it would be a fair chunk of change each month.

£1.25 a month would of equal £43,475.

£5 a month would equal £173,900.

I use all the sites associated with curse on a regular basis and I've been a premium customer with curse since they started it back in 2009.

The OP has already thrown his bottle out the pram because people weren't agreeing with him and he got feedback he didn't want (guessing he thought everyone would be YAY lets turn off adblockers) but he got people talking about this subject and the fact it's already 50 pages clearly shows you that people are really thinking about this.

I can honestly say with no guilt that I couldn't care less if people like him and others who rely on ads to get an income fail because as others have said, if you provide decent content then people will donate or take up a subscription. Promoting ads and telling people to remove their adblockers is not the way to do this.

If he'd come on here wording it differently, maybe pointing out due to adblockers he's having to ask that people think more about making donations to those who stream rather then berating the system at large, he would probably of got better feedback instead of being ripped a new one but trying to make a living from streaming alone is just dumb.

Streaming should be something someone does because they enjoy what they're doing and want to show others what it is they do and why they find it fun in the first place.

If you get donations from this great, if not, don't piss and moan about it and blame people for using an adblock so they can keep their pc/laptops w/e secured from malicious crap.
    Last edited by mmoc037243c2a8; 2013-07-12 at 06:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    lurking in the bushes outside of your window.
    I only use adblock to combat malware and the like.

The streamer you mentioned tends to illicit a response that will hurt you more than help you. He's a good guy, and he seems to have the streaming community at heart, he blows up other's streams all the time..to get them views, but he's starting to get some totalbiscuit like backlash.

Deleted
    If ads weren't as intrusive and malicious, I'd keep them on. As it is, I'm not responsible for other peoples incomes, so I have no moral dilemma here, since you can't really compare it to stealing either.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ciggy View Post
    The streamer you mentioned tends to illicit a response that will hurt you more than help you. He's a good guy, and he seems to have the streaming community at heart, he blows up other's streams all the time..to get them views, but he's starting to get some totalbiscuit like backlash.
    He won't ever get nowhere near as bad of a backlash as totalbiscuit just for the fact that he's respectful towards others.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    He won't ever get nowhere near as bad of a backlash as totalbiscuit just for the fact that he's respectful towards others.
    I've always found TB to be arrogant beyond his mediocrity. He has a few good factual videos and interviews, but the majority of his appeal I guess is to a foreign audience that finds some sort of novelty in his "cynical brit" act. In truth he's neither particularly cynical, nor classically British (I don't think: 'jobless Geordie with a put on accent' when I think 'British') - he's simply merely "not funny". I wouldn't turn ad-block off for him, because I don't watch him enough to give a shit. I turn it off occasionally for independent artists, pro players (which I hardly ever watch anyway) or things like Vsauce, but people who record 20minute videos of games they're not even good enough at to be interesting? No way.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    If ads weren't as intrusive and malicious, I'd keep them on. As it is, I'm not responsible for other peoples incomes, so I have no moral dilemma here, since you can't really compare it to stealing either.

- - - Updated - - -

what backlash? what happened

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauren View Post
    what backlash? what happened
    I think he just means the hate/spam he gets on twitter daily sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    What's funny is how many of you guys say this to try to be snarky, but the only thing you're revealing is that AdBlock changes your experience so minimally that you don't even realize it when it's gone.

Fwoosh.
    Because the vast majority of ads are just jpg ones, only the video ones and pop ups piss people off. Also by the time you realize you don't have adblock installed its already too late and you have malware on your PC trying to sell you something every 5 minutes.

Don't tell me to get an anti virus please, i wouldn't bother making this argument if i didn't have an anti virus. They aren't bullet proof, end of. I've gotten the dreaded microsoft security essentials trojan just from clicking the mage section on ElitistJerks to look up something for my alt. I had to reformat my entire PC because every 30 seconds a pop up would shove itself onto my screen offering me MSA for £30 or whatever.

After 50 pages this thread in a nut shell is: JPGs are fine, pop ups, loud videos, massive full page banners and flashing gifs are no-no. I'm computer knowledge is very very little but in my uninformed mind i'm guessing you can't get malware or viruses from JPGs just by looking at them, you'd have to actually click them to do that. Even so, thats still bad, having an area on your front page where if you click it your computer will have a seizure isn't good

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    If they really trusted their fanbase and respected them, they'd have no ads and simply have a donate box.
    This is really stupid. Do you think everyone has money to donate?
    Last edited by Sliske; 2013-07-13 at 04:20 PM.

OP if your best arguement is an example of a leech to society - that thinks he can play a game and milk money from idiots that watch him - then please continue to watch all of the ads you like. You know what I would tell him if his income went from 50k to 10k... get a real job like everyone else...

Hey you got to ride this fantasy not-real work lifestyle for a while, congrats to you, but now time to get a real job - or charge (LOL) to watch your garbage.

Deleted
    Just an FYI: .jpg files can be used as a delivery method for malware. So no. They're not safe either.

Just an FYI: .jpg files can be used as a delivery method for malware. So no. They're not safe either.
    Great Screw my idea then

Deleted
    Using Stumbleupon would be a nightmare with ads on every random page you find, adblock all the way.

I don't use adblock but it's sure tempting when the same annoying commercial plays every break or five times in a row. I'm not sure using adblock will yield higher standards of advertising any time soon as much as hurt my favorite streamers or tournaments (sc2 fan here). However, I also will argue that streamers would be stupid to point fingers at freeloading viewers. You're biting the hand that feeds. Twitch may technically pass along the dollars, but those dollars only exist because of the viewers.

I don't use AdBlock, but I do use NoScript, which while having a different method of operation, for me, essentially results in the same thing. Allow sites I use all the time, like MMO-C, etc..., but not the advertiser's domains. I still get the occasional banner ad, but mostly when they're hosted on-server. Like right now I have an ad for Curse Premium below this text box. But essentially, it stops all scripting from the various advertising domains, which means no viruses for me. I still deal with occasional ads elsewhere, like the YouTube video ads and such. Still safer than getting it from a shady advertiser who can slip a trojan in there without the content host knowing. I've had some nasty viruses slip through ads. Even from sites normally deemed "safe". Many years back, pretty sure I got one from YouTube once, even MMO-C. I'm not so concerned with ads that I don't want to see any ads ever, I understand people gotta make some money, so I see no need to get a full-on adblocker for the rest that I don't already avoid. I've just taken measures to ensure that I do not get any viruses that I then have to spend hours removing.

So, with NoScript, I block *everything*. If I don't know it, it ain't getting through. Sure, it can be a bit of a pain in the ass sometimes, figuring out which domain to allow through to get site XYZ to work properly, but it is worth it just to never have to deal with the headache of a virus again. I've been using NoScript for years now, and I've had ZERO viruses since I started using it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Advertisements can get the fuck out, do not want, ever.

Deleted
    If you're against AdBlock, then you should be in principle against custom CSS as well. You can tell the ad div not to load in your browser with custom CSS. I'm not sure how AdBlock works, but I'm sure it's not that much different from the aforementioned.

So, tell everyone it's "wrong" and "bad" to customize the CSS of pages for your own taste.

Deleted
    AdBlock has "don't run on this page" and "don't run on pages on this domain" options .. Some sites has ads that are just too annoying.

10+ Year Old Account
    lurking in the bushes outside of your window.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    I think he just means the hate/spam he gets on twitter daily sort of thing.
    Yeah, that's what i meant. Thank you.

Deleted
    I will NEVER stop using adblock. I dislike ads, I mute them on the tv, change the station when I hear them on the radio, don't look at them in general if I can avoid them. If the internet dies because of me using adblock then so be it. I'll read a book or do something else with my time.

If you're against AdBlock, then you should be in principle against custom CSS as well. You can tell the ad div not to load in your browser with custom CSS. I'm not sure how AdBlock works, but I'm sure it's not that much different from the aforementioned.

So, tell everyone it's "wrong" and "bad" to customize the CSS of pages for your own taste.
    "If you're against guns then you should be against water guns too because they both shoot shit." Not a perfect analogy, admittedly.

What a stupid way to simplify this argument. Custom CSS is meant for an array of purposes while AdBlock is meant for one thing.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.