Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Is Azeroth more technologically advanced than modern Earth?

I was thinking about that the other day. Warcraft has a medieval feel to it, but at the same time isn't Azeroth more technologically advanced than modern humans are in the real world?

When I see things like helicopters, motorcycles, rifles etc. it makes me wonder why most characters are riding around on horses, and using swords instead of driving cars, and wielding machine guns?

15+ Year Old Account
    In a word: No.

They do have the benefit of magic, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    They're still stuck in the pre-internet age and no spaceflight (borrowed Naaru ships don't count). They have electricity, radio and TV. I would say 1950-60's.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    They're still stuck in the pre-internet age and no spaceflight (borrowed Naaru ships don't count). I would say 1960's.
    They may not have space flight, but I think people overlook the fact that they have technology that allows them to open / travel through worm holes (which is essentially a more practical form of space flight), and gnomish devices that allow for teleportation etc. I consider that pretty advanced, lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    it really depends on which nation you go by in terms of technology the Gnome and the Goblins are decades ahead of the Humans and orcs
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Of course they aren't I hearth home from work every day IRL

I also regularly use particle rays to shrink myself to the size of a flea or morph people into chickens. Just another day in USA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by achromatickang View Post
    They may not have space flight, but I think people overlook the fact that they have technology that allows them to open / travel through worm holes (which is essentially a more practical form of space flight), and gnomish devices that allow for teleportation etc. I consider that pretty advanced, lol.
    Considering they have no understanding of quantum physics, it's more likely magic based or borrowed technology. They have little control/understanding of how those generators themselves work. "Dimensional folding is not fully understood in any capacity."
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2013-07-11 at 03:09 AM.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can't wait for the Gnomes to invent the internet and Trolls to invent 4chan.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is similar to how things were here on Earth when the automobile, train, etc first came about. Only the wealthiest or most entitled (ie military in time of need) had them. At this time, most people would still be seen riding around on a horse and carriage, while a few here and there would be rattling down the road in their fancy shmancy Model T Ford. Just like today, wealthier people can afford the expensive hybrids that we are seeing more and more of, but most of us schmucks are still driving around your average gas guzzler. Same with weapons; some armies at one point had such technological advancements as cannons and rifles, but mostly still relied on the bow and arrow and other more 'primitive' weapons.

It can probably be assumed the 'player' in the Warcraft universe is wealthier and more 'important' than the average Azeroth citizen. We can afford the best of the best technologies, and the quartermasters of the factions we fight for make the best weapons available to us. Otherwise, you would see NPCs carting around the city in gnomish racecars like it was no big thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Any engineer can make an item that, in the description, reverses your gravity. They have devised ways of communicating long-distance with other characters technologically. They have created robots with artificial intelligence and personalities.

Seems pretty darn advanced to me.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Any engineer can make an item that, in the description, reverses your gravity. They have devised ways of communicating long-distance with other characters technologically. They have created robots with artificial intelligence and personalities.

Seems pretty darn advanced to me.
    They probably reverse-engineered those things from Titan technology.

10+ Year Old Account
    They probably reverse-engineered those things from Titan technology.
    Doesn't matter, if they know how it works... and since every engineer and his mother can make the first, a random rag-tag gnome knows how to invent and use the second, and the artificially intelligent robots have been around since Vanilla WoW... I don't know if that matters too much.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Doesn't matter, if they know how it works... and since every engineer and his mother can make the first, a random rag-tag gnome knows how to invent and use the second, and the artificially intelligent robots have been around since Vanilla WoW... I don't know if that matters too much.
    I meant more the AI.

The gravity thing is magic based since it requires Electrified Ether (made from Volatile Air) to make. This is also where the comparisons to IRL break down, since much of their technology has magic components.
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2013-07-11 at 03:24 AM.

Deleted
    Serious? It is a game, logic out the window... Cyperpunk, steampunk call it what you want, it isn't comparable by any means.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just looking at their non-magic technology, they are mostly behind us.

If you take into account what they can do with any combo of tech/magic, they are far ahead of us.

15+ Year Old Account
    We are, but they have magic. Reminds me of when in a book the divide where the go to a magic land that was filled with all magic and not technology.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    They may have magic thanks to some races, but these people collectively don't even have indoor plumbing. (Ok, other than the occasional sink, but where the heck does that even hook up to.)

Helicopters and motorcycle, sure, but they're awful rickety. lol

No, the greater part of their advancement is due to magic, not technology.

10+ Year Old Account
    They're still stuck in the pre-internet age and no spaceflight (borrowed Naaru ships don't count). They have electricity, radio and TV. I would say 1950-60's.

Personal helicopters, rockets, super fast trams capable of traveling half the distance of the continent in less than 5 minutes.
    Not to mention teleportation (Goblin/Gnome, not magic)

10+ Year Old Account
    The most advanced technology they have is airships, made out of wood for the most part. No, they are not.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.