Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ...
    meh i say let them keep their titles, its all history now, they have no real say in what goes on its simply put, celeb status and little else.

the history is pretty interesting though, I live in a town with a castle that dates back to the 13th century (Henry VII), its interesting to learn how the times were in them days, most of the whole royalty thing is not much more than the succession of tribal leaders stepping up and continuing the tradition with family members taking up the places of their dead parents. and so on.. in this day and age, they have no real purpose or job so to speak, but i don't think dethroning ppl for the sake of it really makes any difference, what would we actually gain from that?. also i think ppl are entitled to their heritage without it being the business of anyone else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    I don't recall the exact law & clause, but Parliament is actually allowed to remove the current ruling Monarch if they feel they're not serving the nations best interest. They can't dissolve the crown so easily, so the line of succession would continue, but the Monarch is not some set in stone position that is impossible to remove, and has secret hidden powers to do whatever they fuck they please ...
    I'm not sure if they can actually remove the monarch. They can do pretty much whatever they like to the monarchies powers but take her directly off the throne. But in the case of Edward VIII though they can certainly force abdication through political pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    IIRC Parliament can remove the monarch, but then the next in line would become King/Queen. I think that provision is mostly there to avoid having to put up with somebody on the throne that is clinically insane.
    As far as I remember, both sides have powers to remove/dissolve the other. They never use it of course no need to. Good to know there are measures in place to hopefully stop something from going out of control.

I think the last time anyone was removed from their post as prime minister was back in the 1800s by William IV.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm just glad we don't have royalties. Awesome way to spend tax money on nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilpi View Post
    I'm just glad we don't have royalties. Awesome way to spend tax money on nothing.
    We make more money from them than what Tax is spent on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    IIRC Parliament can remove the monarch, but then the next in line would become King/Queen. I think that provision is mostly there to avoid having to put up with somebody on the throne that is clinically insane.
    Yeh, which I stated. The line of succession would continue if a monarch is thrown out, the Crown itself would remain.

Deleted
    I quite like the royals. So long as they keep bringing in more cash than we spend on them then they're awesome. What I don't get is why some people from countries without a monarchy bitch and moan about something that has nothing to do with them. If a country wanted to abolish their monarchy then they would. Input from other countries is not needed or wanted to be honest

Deleted
    no, i like the royals and they make a lot of money for the country.

10+ Year Old Account
    How do people getting so fired up about such a topic, that they manage to get a ban?
    It's beyond me, really... /shaking head

There's no harm, nothing damaging coming from how we handle our monarchs nowadays.
    And quite frankly. The whole celebrity TV crap can be or is tiring. But I at least acknowledge the status of the House of Windsor, over the drunkface Snookie from Jersey Shore.
    There's at least some validation worth reporting about, given the history surrounding the Crown. Unlike stuff like Snookie and consorts, wannabe's that shouldn't even be on TV at all.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    There's at least some validation worth reporting about, given the history surrounding the Crown. Unlike stuff like Snookie and consorts, wannabe's that shouldn't even be on TV at all.
    My guess is that. While people "are equal" under the law that doesn't mean they are really equal in any other way (as majority of "hardcore" pro-democracy or people with poor judgment that live in a democratic country think). This being said they can't understand the fact that some families/persons have "royal blood" meaning they are "over" them when it comes to respect and/or overall attitude.

When it comes down to it, judge yourself: USA - Get rich and/or into politics to earn some respect vs UK - Royal Blood instant respect. So people that bash the royalty status are the ones that also disconsider history and only think for themself, that they deserve eveything. At least that's my input on the mater, living in a country where we have a royal family that has no role and is not part of our country regime.