DK Rated Battlegrounds - Frost vs. Unholy

Is there any distinct advantage that Unholy gives over Frost in Rated Battlegrounds? I genuinely find DoT damage the same, just as easy to spread, more damage with Howling Blast, I suppose UH has more single target pressure but I can solo healers on a Frost DK anyway.

Frost gets KBs in rated play, unholy does not. Unholy just does lots of spread damage and looks good on the meters, but every time I play frost I have almost 3 times the KBs as when I am unholy. Also frost is better at spinning flags than unholy. Your pet as unholy dies a lot as well which is some of your utility.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrean View Post
    Frost gets KBs in rated play, unholy does not. Unholy just does lots of spread damage and looks good on the meters, but every time I play frost I have almost 3 times the KBs as when I am unholy. Also frost is better at spinning flags than unholy. Your pet as unholy dies a lot as well which is some of your utility.
    I out damage most Unholy DKs as frost though. Last few bgs, on the meters I've been sat on 42m damage, 29m damage and 31.5m damage with nobody even half that damage done.

Yes, it is easy to sit the meters as frost as well but you can always tell if a Frost DK is doing his job or just padding meters by looking at his damage breakdown in recount. I also top meters by a hefty margin but my number one damage done is always obliterate. Most frost DKs number one damage done is frost fever. Useless damage that just makes you look good on the scoreboard but not actually win games.

I should also say that unholy does work in teams that are traditional dot cleaves, but those sort of teams are not the vogue anymore. Frost paired with one burst ranged and another melee can eat healers pretty quickly in the opener and has the ability to solo a healer when a healer/tank break off from the pack. Unholy is more about the long game and shines for meaningful damage done in small scale combat. So maps where you are fighting large clusters of people and there will be weak targets for you to triple oblit are great for frost. Maps where you will be doing some small scale 1v2 or 3v3 type stuff unholy shines at landing kills while being durable.
    Last edited by Tyrean; 2013-07-11 at 04:56 PM.

Yes, it is easy to sit the meters as frost as well but you can always tell if a Frost DK is doing his job or just padding meters by looking at his damage breakdown in recount. I also top meters by a hefty margin but my number one damage done is always obliterate. Most frost DKs number one damage done is frost fever. Useless damage that just makes you look good on the scoreboard but not actually win games.

I should also say that unholy does work in teams that are traditional dot cleaves, but those sort of teams are not the vogue anymore. Frost paired with one burst ranged and another melee can eat healers pretty quickly in the opener and has the ability to solo a healer when a healer/tank break off from the pack. Unholy is more about the long game and shines for meaningful damage done in small scale combat. So maps where you are fighting large clusters of people and there will be weak targets for you to triple oblit are great for frost. Maps where you will be doing some small scale 1v2 or 3v3 type stuff unholy shines at landing kills while being durable.
    I get what you mean about the damage thing, my dots never fall though I mean, within 5 seconds of the engage on a team fight, I've outbreaked a target, mass gripped and spread, then I'll start tunneling healers because honestly, I find it easy to solo healers on a DK

Every single RBG team seems to run with a Monk Healer. I just dont see the point of Unholy knowing that. Even if somehow you do manage to get a lot of people close to low health hes just gonna blow Revival and cleanse everyone along with a big heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    Every single RBG team seems to run with a Monk Healer. I just dont see the point of Unholy knowing that. Even if somehow you do manage to get a lot of people close to low health hes just gonna blow Revival and cleanse everyone along with a big heal.
    And almost every team has a warlock doing nothing but putting UA on everything they can and fear spamming so enjoy your time spent in the GY after dispelling 5+ UAs...

And almost every team has a warlock doing nothing but putting UA on everything they can and fear spamming so enjoy your time spent in the GY after dispelling 5+ UAs...
    Monk talent that makes spell damage do 90% less damage doesnt work?
    Last edited by Dabrix32; 2013-07-12 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    Monk talent that makes spell damage do 90% less damage doesnt work?
    It does work, but it is not guaranteed that it will be available when you need to revival. I would consider it smart gameplay, but I have also seen disc priests one shot themselves in RBG at 2k level play mass dispelling like a pro which I would expect them to know better.

Monks are strong in RBG setting because of insane aoe heals and usefulness of 45 sec ring of peace, but in small scale skirmishes they are easier to control and their healing output is not as strong. They are for sure good. If you 4 heal an RBG you could also possibly let a MW monk solo guard a node if they know what they are doing. Talent for pet, multiple trinket effects, ability to face tank multiple players standing still and spamming spheres on themselves, teleport, etc. Lots of cool utility, but maybe a waste of a healer.

Earlier I said I can solo healers on my Frost DK, made the switch to Unholy yesterday and it's infinitely better. I've got a shit load to learn and perfect but I'm dominating 2s and RBGs atm as Unholy, should be trying 3s tomorrow. Frost 3s kinda sucked actually.

Deleted
    `The distinct advantage playing dk gives you is you can just asphyxiate and pop everything and people die, no trinket you are dead. I wouldnt worry much about what class cause even though unholy has more utility and healing you can still blow up people in a stun.

Frost is better for anything above 2K. You'll feel pretty useless playing UH in 2K+ games. UH for Arena all day though.