Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The way he worded his thoughts on all of those things is definitely overkill. Yes, all 3 of those are poor choices nutritionally, but no, they are not "diseases in a box" etc etc. White bread is garbage, though. :P Might as well eat a cup of flour, that would be healthier. lol
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    ...it amazes me that people can spout off so much misinformation so publicly and there are piles of people that just take it as gospel.
    Forgot to include in my previous post: that's one of several ongoing problems, just like how much of the public still believes that testimonials constitute good evidence. Argh.

Testimonial: "I've been making raw meat-Açaí-raspberry ketone-seaweed smoothies for six months now, and I feel great!"
    Reader: "Aww, I want to feel great too. I'm gunna try that!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    Lastly, and at the risk of sounding like some sort of authoritarian asshole: it really irks me that our culture values people's right to promote and sell utter bullshit with little if any consequences, above the public's right to reliable, accurate information. I really think that's the foundation that lets these jokers operate.
    I guess the problem is where you draw the line at who is the authority in saying something is true or not.

Some of those articles are indeed over the top, made by people who don't even check their facts, or make up stuff. Of course you should never trust that kind of stuff on random articles on the internet, blogs, or facebook posts.

However, to basically call people who warn others to have care with the food they eat as "fear-mongers" is just ridiculous. There's such a thing as common sense, and that includes trying to be healthy. Sure, some people may exaggerate or make shit up, but it's still a legitimate concern. To dismiss that as fear-mongering is irresponsibility, in my eyes.

I guess the problem is where you draw the line at who is the authority in saying something is true or not.
    Well, I guess you can draw the line at serious organizations like the WHO, or credible nutritionists. Of course you don't trust your average facebook post

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight Gil View Post
    Some of those articles are indeed over the top, made by people who don't even check their facts, or make up stuff. Of course you should never trust that kind of stuff on random articles on the internet, blogs, or facebook posts.

However, to basically call people who warn others to have care with the food they eat as "fear-mongers" is just ridiculous. There's such a thing as common sense, and that includes trying to be healthy. Sure, some people may exaggerate or make shit up, but it's still a legitimate concern. To dismiss that as fear-mongering is irresponsibility, in my eyes.
    But this is fear-mongering. This isn't someone presenting valid information. Instead of outlining the true issues behind all of those products (all of which are unhealthy in some fashion), they made up a pile of 'facts':

• Apparently enriched flours are toxic
    • Microwavable popcorn will destroy your lungs
    • Frozen food is disease in-a-box
    • Your body can't properly digest food lacking vitamins

The only two parts he got correct were nitrates and the ingredients in power bars. He'd have been better served explaining what is wrong with those foods (high in sodium, lacking nutritional value, disproportionate fat ratios) instead of making up facts to sensationalize his claims. That's why I call it fear-mongering. He is deliberately using our fear of eating unhealthy to influence our opinions and actions towards these foods. No one in this thread is saying that we should go out and make it a priority to eat a frozen Hungry Man dinner for every meal.

But this is fear-mongering. This isn't someone presenting valid information. Instead of outlining the true issues behind all of those products (all of which are unhealthy in some fashion), they made up a pile of 'facts':

• Apparently enriched flours are toxic
    • Microwavable popcorn will destroy your lungs
    • Frozen food is disease in-a-box
    • Your body can't properly digest food lacking vitamins

The only two parts he got correct were nitrates and the ingredients in power bars. He'd have been better served explaining what is wrong with those foods (high in sodium, lacking nutritional value, disproportionate fat ratios) instead of making up facts to sensationalize his claims. That's why I call it fear-mongering. He is deliberately using our fear of eating unhealthy to influence our opinions and actions towards these foods. No one in this thread is saying that we should go out and make it a priority to eat a frozen Hungry Man dinner for every meal.
    I understand your point, but the thing is, these days, many people are eager to call anyone who warns people of potential food dangers (realistic or not, doesn't matter) a fear-monger. That is as sensationalistic as the fear-mongers themselves

It's just hyperbole. It you are pushing an agenda you are going to use as many power words that stick in your target audiences mind.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Knight Gil View Post
    I understand your point, but the thing is, these days, many people are eager to call anyone who warns people of potential food dangers (realistic or not, doesn't matter) a fear-monger. That is as sensationalistic as the fear-mongers themselves
    In proper moderation, are there really many realistic food dangers?

A quarter pounder won't kill me.

Aspertame won't kill me.

neither will HGCS.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Last time I checked, people to not snort popcorn for 10 hours a day
    You don't? I thought we were supposed to suck the unpopped kernals into our nostrils...

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.realfarmacy.com/7-foods-t...ver-eat-again/

I read through this and wanted to facepalm at every point. The author threw around things like "disease in a box" and "causes diseases" and "artificial" at every single opportunity, but a few particular areas got my ire:
    'Murica. it's that simple. I wish there were a loftier explanation. Well, maybe just people in general.

Quote Originally Posted by deadllbolt View Post
    'Murica. it's that simple. I wish there were a loftier explanation. Well, maybe just people in general.
    Seriously? Even this completely non nationalist thread gets a 'Murica? Come on now.

Hyperbole and sensationalism is most assuredly not limited to "'Murica"

10+ Year Old Account
    The only two parts he got correct were nitrates
    Which is a distortion.

Do you know why the nitrites are added? So your meat doesn't include delicious botulinum.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

I don't eat much bread, but it's not because I think it's toxic. I just don't care much for white sandwich-y breads.

I eat a lot of frozen stuff though.

There will always be fear-mongering, best to ignore the shit and move on. Too bad many people fall for it.
    "Why do all supposed 'centrists' just sound like right wingers?"

"Also, can I just say that I think AOC would absolutely fucking annihilate Greene if Greene ever dared take an actual swing at her?" -- The state of the MMO-C circlejerk.

Technically, everything is toxic to some degree. Toxicity is just like heat in which there isn't really such a thing as cold, just an absence of heat. Cold is just the term we use to describe that absence. There can only be the absence of toxicity. But I digress. Yes, he's going over the top.

As far as the popcorn thing, I did hear the story from Colorado years back where the guy was literally inhaling 2-3 bags of popcorn a day then finally died after some number of years because of it. Since that incident though the companies that make popcorn have taken it out of their product last I heard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Water contains Hydrogen and hydrogen is used to make bombs. You dont wanna drink bomb ingredients you should avoid water i know i do.

If I honestly believed the stuff these people came out with, i'd begin to wonder if there was anything that didn't give us cancer these days, or which wasn't bad for our health.

Frankly, i'd rather bite the bullet and eat a bucket of KFC than put up with all the people claiming how bad it is. One is clearly preferable to the other.

Deleted
    Lol with the Popcorn that was ONE CASE this guy munched like 2 packages a Day and inhaled this stuff over years.

I read the Article somewhile ago -,-

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    Seriously? Even this completely non nationalist thread gets a 'Murica? Come on now.

Hyperbole and sensationalism is most assuredly not limited to "'Murica"
    well, first world problems and such. also, way to skip over the fact that i said it was a human thing right after that! Clear signs of intelligence here!

Quote Originally Posted by deadllbolt View Post
    well, first world problems and such. also, way to skip over the fact that i said it was a human thing right after that! Clear signs of intelligence here!
    lol no man it just saddens my that your first thought was 'Murica. Seriously...I'm thinking of starting a campaign to stop that crap.

Deleted
    This is a proven, researched fact: Everything can kill you. So dont eat nothing... oh wait that kills you too. Guess were screwed.

In proper moderation, are there really many realistic food dangers?

A quarter pounder won't kill me.

Aspertame won't kill me.

neither will HGCS.
    Sure, in proper moderation, you're right, there's no reason to be alarmed.

However, what happens is something like this:

"hurr, who are these guys to tell me I shouldn't go to mcdonalds 6 days a week? Fuck them and their fear-mongering, I does what I wantz!!!!!11"

There is a thing as fearmongering, I agree, and this is probably one of those cases, but there's also a thing as incentivating people to eat healthy. Often, people don't differentiate between them