Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Also to anyone. Sorry not nostalgia, I can't tolerate Oblivion and I'm bored to tears with Skyrim first month I dug into it and left with a shallow empty gaming experience. I can play TES3 today and it will still be a far more enjoyable experience. The truely do not make games like they used to. And that is a shame for players that loved TRUE RPGS. Baldurs Gate, Planescape, TES, Neverwinter, Dungeon Siege one.

Oh god speaking of butchered DUNGEON siege one VS three. D: Or resident evil 1-3 VS 5-6. Games everywhere diluting! STAHP
    if you haven't heard of project eternity, get to know! old school isometric rpg, made by folks who worked on the classic black isle games, funded by kickstarter so no suits breathing down thier necks looking to dilute the experience to get the call of duty crowd interested
    somebody call for d doctor?

Deleted
    How anyone can say Skyrim's world is more interesting than Morrowind's IDK... Yes, it's fairly beautiful and yes, it has a lot of locations you can discover and fast travel to - the problem is 90% of it is grassy plains or snowy areas and 90% of the locations are bandit caves/forts/towers/crypts which only serve as a location for a misc repeatable quest to turn up in.

In Morrowind it was more significant when you come across an ancestral family tomb; you may *never* be told to go there, but it will for sure have some unique enemies and items inside rather than "leveled bandit #910210 with a leveled chest at the end". The areas were often way more creepy and atmospheric too. I used to avoid going into the underside of Vivec when I was up late playing because even though there were hardly ever enemies there, it had that emptiness and the *chance* you could be set upon by Vampires that made it eerie.

Morrowind had a huge variety of visuals from giant mushrooms to crystalline Daedric shrines, to ashland, to red sandstorm ravaged deserts, to lush green lake-land. Even the variety of architecture was huge. The only places you see different structures in Skyrim are the capitals; most small towns (and even some of the bigger ones) have identical building styles.

I agree on the quests front; while the main chains in Skyrim/Oblivion are very good, they definitely don't match up in length or scope to the Morrowind ones. The fact the different clans are actively at war/fighting and you may end up having to put one down for good (for example, killing Gentleman Jim Stacey or Hard Heart would forever prevent you finishing the opposing chain). Which is way more immersive than "So I'm the Grand-Archmage AND the Master Assassin of the Dark Brotherhood AND The Grey Fox AND the Champion of the Arena?". The game forces you to make decisions and live with them, because once someone is dead - they're dead for good.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    But... But, finding that cavern by following arrow on your GPS is fun !!! Or isnt it ?
    Modern games are seriously going too far with all that accesability bullshit.
    I don't enjoy talking to 50 NPC's an objective though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    I don't enjoy talking to 50 NPC's an objective though.
    Then play call of duty - no dialog no problem. RPG's were always about immersion, interaction and exploration. Not jumping from waypoint to waypoint and skipping chat options.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone installed this overhaul? Was it easy and did it work?
    Aye mate

But... But, finding that cavern by following arrow on your GPS is fun !!! Or isnt it ?
    Modern games are seriously going too far with all that accesability bullshit.
    The cavern quest would of been so shit in modern games. Instead of riddle and directions your quest would read. HEAD TO THE CAVERN OF THE INCARNATE. and you could fast travel half the way there. Nevermind it likely wouldnt have the sunrise / sunset puzzle so if you arrive at at any other time you would think you took a wrong turn somewhere and backtrack. sneaky sneaky game!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    Anyone installed this overhaul? Was it easy and did it work?
    It's a standalone installer. once you download and extract the installation IS EXACTLY the same as installing any PC game on your computer. I was amazed how easy it was.

It's ENTIRELY automated and does almost EVERYTHING you would want to the game. You get all the complied bugfixes made to the game from modders over the last decade, You get the graphics extender so your draw distance will be similar to skyrims ect.
    Last edited by anaxie; 2013-07-12 at 12:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever the Regent-Lord needs me to be
    I look forward to returning to Morrowind in ESO. Like it the most do to the look and feel. Though I feel I will like Black Marsh more.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a standalone installer. once you download and extract the installation IS EXACTLY the same as installing any PC game on your computer. I was amazed how easy it was.

It's ENTIRELY automated and does almost EVERYTHING you would want to the game. You get all the complied bugfixes made to the game from modders over the last decade, You get the graphics extender so your draw distance will be similar to skyrims ect.
    Ok what about the steam version? And any chance I can get a link to where you downloaded it from? Downloading the torrent one but its very slow.
    Aye mate

Then play call of duty - no dialog no problem. RPG's were always about immersion, interaction and exploration. Not jumping from waypoint to waypoint and skipping chat options.
    Personally I prefer text to awful voice acting. For most people text is their complaint! Reading iz hard

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Personally I prefer text to awful voice acting. For most people text is their complaint! Reading iz hard
    Speaking of text, it would be crime not to mention Planescape: Torment. Well that game have alot of talking in it. And reading as well.

Ok what about the steam version? And any chance I can get a link to where you downloaded it from? Downloading the torrent one but its very slow.
    Not sure how steam would work. Here is an FaQ

http://www.ornitocopter.net/mo_wiki/...issing_appears

Also very important ANYONE INSTALLING MORROWIND OVERHAUL 3.0 DO THIS AFTER FULLY INSTALLED
    Go into your Morrowind folder and delete the Morrowind\Meshes\f\Furn_De_Table_03.NIF file. This will be fixed in the next minipatch.

It will fix a big issue with missing textures for some tables appearing as big yellow error boxes

- - - Updated - - -

Go to TESNexus to download but you need to register since it has adult content to view the download page. Some people may mistake it as an invalid or 404 link :P

http://morrowind.nexusmods.com/mods/36945/?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    How anyone can say Skyrim's world is more interesting than Morrowind's IDK... Yes, it's fairly beautiful and yes, it has a lot of locations you can discover and fast travel to - the problem is 90% of it is grassy plains or snowy areas and 90% of the locations are bandit caves/forts/towers/crypts which only serve as a location for a misc repeatable quest to turn up in.

In Morrowind it was more significant when you come across an ancestral family tomb; you may *never* be told to go there, but it will for sure have some unique enemies and items inside rather than "leveled bandit #910210 with a leveled chest at the end". The areas were often way more creepy and atmospheric too. I used to avoid going into the underside of Vivec when I was up late playing because even though there were hardly ever enemies there, it had that emptiness and the *chance* you could be set upon by Vampires that made it eerie.

Morrowind had a huge variety of visuals from giant mushrooms to crystalline Daedric shrines, to ashland, to red sandstorm ravaged deserts, to lush green lake-land. Even the variety of architecture was huge. The only places you see different structures in Skyrim are the capitals; most small towns (and even some of the bigger ones) have identical building styles.

I agree on the quests front; while the main chains in Skyrim/Oblivion are very good, they definitely don't match up in length or scope to the Morrowind ones. The fact the different clans are actively at war/fighting and you may end up having to put one down for good (for example, killing Gentleman Jim Stacey or Hard Heart would forever prevent you finishing the opposing chain). Which is way more immersive than "So I'm the Grand-Archmage AND the Master Assassin of the Dark Brotherhood AND The Grey Fox AND the Champion of the Arena?". The game forces you to make decisions and live with them, because once someone is dead - they're dead for good.
    Not to mention Kwama egg mines, Ebony / Glass / Diamond mines, Caves, Slave camps, Daedra ruins, Dwemer ruins, Tombs, Necromancer holds, Velothi buildings, Telvanni buildings, Redoran archetcture, Imperial , Sixth house bases ect. SO MUCH VARIETY.

You wander somewhere watch out you might of stumbled on a sixth house base or vampires. PURGE THEM. Nevermind MOST cells had uniquely named NPCS enmies in them so once a place was cleared and looted it wouldn't respawn with leveled items a week later.

Now that I mention it that was another side adventure to immersion within the game. You could buy and bring slaves back to the plantations or rescue / free them.

Also Orvas Dren and the Cammona Tong are Assholes but man. That corruption they had on politics lead to even more immersion.

You need to get his support. Do you Blackmail him? KILL HIM? Bribe him? Persuade him? In todays game only option would likely be hurp durp kill.
    Last edited by anaxie; 2013-07-12 at 12:20 AM.

best bit of the game. find a savant, make a cup of coffee sit back and get ready for the loregasm. the detail in text based conversations is immense. the all speech route (oblivion/skyrim) can't hope to convey as much of a story in a few lines. the bit of voice acting that there is (we're watching you. skum!) is perfect. iconic even. succintly makes you well aware of who you're talking to (usually a xenophobe) without going over the top to the point you're mashing the skip button.
    somebody call for d doctor?

Deleted
    Also, I can't be only one who LOVED that old journal? I know a lot of people hated it, but I used to like having to read through it and get the story/justification for what I'm doing and not just a 1-liner "go here, kill that for this guy"

Morrowind always looked gorgeous and cool, but for some reason I could never get into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    I need to start up Morrowind again. I love Skyrim and I loved Oblivion, and I got to like level 8 in Morrowind (I know it's not a lot), but I really liked it, and I'm sure I'll like the rest.

For some reason my laptop likes to lag and run horribly while running it unfortunately.
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    Also, I can't be only one who LOVED that old journal? I know a lot of people hated it, but I used to like having to read through it and get the story/justification for what I'm doing and not just a 1-liner "go here, kill that for this guy"
    The old journal was awful. The one that was upgraded with Tribunal expansion was vastly better with it's separate quest list and a proper ABC index.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Still not bad for a game over a decade old
    yeah morrowind still looks good with mods and in 10 years computer games have come an extremely long way

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    The old journal was awful. The one that was upgraded with Tribunal expansion was vastly better with it's separate quest list and a proper ABC index.
    Pfft! Keep your updated journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    I like how it indexed every single conversation you ever had in the game. The rich mans pokedex

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by benadryl View Post
    yeah morrowind still looks good with mods and in 10 years computer games have come an extremely long way
    Actually it's almost 12 Morrowind was a 2002 game. You know right on the heels of the Nintendo 64s end in 2000-2001. 2000 was PS2 launch and Majoras mask if i recall. Man gaming was so fucking epic during 90s-2005.

Since then games just don't have to hook anymore. THank god WoW came along in Vanilla and still offers an engaging experience for high end content. Sadly the lower end WoW's gameplay has been diluted as badly as modern FPS / RPG games. Take a look at the 5 man content / LFR now to TBC's 5mans / Kara. One is a fairly superior GAMING experience for the casual playerbase. I'd definetly choose TBC 5mans and kara any day of the week VS what new players are subjected too now.
    Last edited by anaxie; 2013-07-12 at 12:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like how it indexed every single conversation you ever had in the game. The rich mans pokedex

- - - Updated - - -

Actually it's almost 12 Morrowind was a 2002 game. You know right on the heels of the Nintendo 64s end in 2000-2001
    It took me way too long to find the quest tab.

Looking through 15 pages to find one objective is dumb.
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA