Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    I admit I had not read that much about the different 760's I just remember seeing it in this video (6:47-ish +), I don't know if there is a difference with the 760's compared to the 770's

I believe the "Direct Power" feature (Asus) isn't on the 770 and seem to make a difference?
    Its hard to say because the ASUS 760 has the lowest boost clock (less power).

Techpowerup's 760 reviews show the ASUS 760 at roughly the same temperature as the MSI 760 but the MSI card has better acoustic performance at load (page 26).

(Just wanna make it clear, whichever you pick neither is a bad choice)
    This is true, any non-reference card from the big 4 is a good choice (ASUS, EVGA, Gigabyte, and MSI).
    Last edited by yurano; 2013-07-16 at 11:20 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Its hard to say because the ASUS 760 has the lowest boost clock (less power).

Techpowerup's 760 reviews show the ASUS 760 at roughly the same temperature as the MSI 760 but the MSI card has better acoustic performance at load (page 26).
    Yeah the MSI was not in stock. I thought the MSI/ASUS was discussed in this thread already about the MIS being quieter but I guess that was a different thread lol

The "Direct Power" I figured was just a gimmick but it seems they managed to get it quite cool according to the video, now if that's because of "DP" or not I'm not sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Awww so should I have gotten a gigabyte instead of Asus? Already ordered. Ended up with the 750 PSU since it was the same price, btw.

Now I get to enjoy being thoroughly confused about actually building it over the weekend after everything comes in lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of the build, I have generally balmy hands (my fingers wear through guitar strings quick), are nitrile gloves a good choice to work on computer parts with? Wanna keep everything ultra pristine.

It's hard to say no to Yoo-Hoo chocolate drinks...the name literally beckons.
    Tactical Disaster - Stormrage-US
    16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15

Deleted
    The Asus card is good, you have nothing to worry about.

You can use the gloves if you like, it can't hurt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Was watching the newegg instructional video, and it mentioned I would need thermal paste to use where my CPU contacts my CPU cooler. Does the CPU cooler come with this paste, or do I need to buy some?

16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15

10+ Year Old Account
    It will come with some, either already on the heatsink, or in a small tube.

I would recommend against gloves, though. I've used a number of different gloves in the past (doing work for a medical glove sales company) and tech work... Do not go well together. If you feel your hands are going to be balmy, just keep a clean towel nearby, and make sure to give a metal part of the case a tap between washes.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Gotcha. Yea my hands aren't unnaturally balmy or anything, I just want to make this a super clean build. Your suggestion works too, though, so I'll definitely use it when my parts come in. Should be here tomorrow!

16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15

Deleted
    Just curious Chazus, what do you mean by nitrile gloves and computer components don't go well together?

They're not needed but if you have them already there is no downside to using them, unless there is something I don't know about

10+ Year Old Account
    So all my parts came in...and I had a little surprise in my box. Apparently they accidentally packed an intel core i7-4770k LGA 1150 CPU as well as the intel i5-4670k LGA 1150 which I ordered.

So ummm which is better? lol I'm guessing the i7, since its like 100$ more expensive. Further, since the i5 is actually on my receipt, I imagine I may as well use the i7 and get my money back for the i5. This is too good to be true!

Thanks for the help in advance!

Edit:

This what I ordered: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116899

This is the extra CPU I got: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116901
    Last edited by ramennoodleking; 2013-07-19 at 07:24 PM.

16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15

10+ Year Old Account
    Just curious Chazus, what do you mean by nitrile gloves and computer components don't go well together?
    It's just a pain to do hardware work with them, is all. I'm very tactile and any kind of sensitivity suppression makes things harder to do.

Quote Originally Posted by ramennoodleking View Post
    So ummm which is better? lol I'm guessing the i7, since its like 100$ more expensive. Further, since the i5 is actually on my receipt, I imagine I may as well use the i7 and get my money back for the i5
    For gaming it isn't really a benefit. If your situation happened to me, I'd sell the i7 and just take a huge discount =D
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    So all my parts came in...and I had a little surprise in my box. Apparently they accidentally packed an intel core i7-4770k LGA 1150 CPU as well as the intel i5-4670k LGA 1150 which I ordered.

So ummm which is better? lol I'm guessing the i7, since its like 100$ more expensive. Further, since the i5 is actually on my receipt, I imagine I may as well use the i7 and get my money back for the i5. This is too good to be true!

Thanks for the help in advance!

Edit:

This what I ordered: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116899

This is the extra CPU I got: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116901
    Lucky git! If you're not into heavy recording, sell the i7. If you are, sell the i5.

Deleted
    If you have the reciept for the i5, then personally I'd just return the i5, get your ~$220 woth back and enjoy your free i7. Rendering and streaming benefits from the i7. You can of course try and sell the i7 but seems more of a hassle to me than simply returning the i5.

AFAIK, Newegg has a 15% restocking fee if the item is not defective. Plus, I doubt you'll be able to get Newegg to bum the shipping charge for a non-defective item.

If you ordered the combo deal, Newegg will refund you the price of the CPU minus the value of the combo. Experienced this little tidbit during the RMA replace order for my motherboard. The full $100 of CPU/Mobo combo was deducted from my replace order (eg. if I decided to refund the replace order).

When I purchased my CPU from Newegg, I recall reading that defective Retail CPUs must be RMA'd with the manufacturer (Newegg only handles OEM CPUs).

It seems like your only choice is to sell the CPU.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's fine, I already took the i5 out of the box and am about to boot up for the first time (cross your fingers with me...).

I can probably easily sell it on eBay for 300 bucks. Talk about a lucky find in my box! Feel bad about the person who accidentally put it in there though. Hope he doesn't get in alot of trouble

- - - Updated - - -

Cable management sucks, but I don't too much care right now! This thing is wicked fast and I'm pretty damn proud of myself for putting this thing together! Thanks to all who helped!

Now my only concern is anti-virus software. I was using Sophos, which was given to my by a buddy on WoW a few years ago. But since I don't have the licensing info or any of that, I can't transfer it over. So I would like to know where the best place to go for free anti-virus software is. I saw the sticky in the Computer thread but it didn't really answer my question for something for a brand new, as-of-yet-no-virus build.

Suggestions?

16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15

Suggestions?
    Avast Free is pretty good (notifications can be disabled in settings).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Avast Free is pretty good (notifications can be disabled in settings).
    Thanks, I'll give it a try. Also, one more question. I used the drivers CD that came with my mobo...but I probably need to go to the website www.asrock.com and download the updated Mobo drivers. My question is two-fold:

1.) Do I just install every driver listed on the page (there are quite a few and all dated from June of this year)
    2.) How do I open up the ZIP files? My computer won't do it.

16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15

Deleted
    So I would like to know where the best place to go for free anti-virus software is. I saw the sticky in the Computer thread but it didn't really answer my question for something for a brand new, as-of-yet-no-virus build.

Suggestions?
    Windows 7 AV tests: http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home...7/novdec-2012/

Windows 8 AV tests: http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home...8/janfeb-2013/

As you mention yourself, you can try any of them and then decide.

1.) Do I just install every driver listed on the page (there are quite a few and all dated from June of this year)
    2.) How do I open up the ZIP files? My computer won't do it.
    ninite.com Tick of any program you need/want, get installer and let it run. It will deselect any toolbars automatically and delete leftovers. For Zip I recommend 7-Zip

As for drivers:

Lan driver ver:18.2.63.0
    Intel USB 3.0 driver ver:2.0.0.102
    ASMedia SATA3 driver ver:1.3.8.0
    INF driver ver:9.4.0.1017

I believe those are the important ones, rest should be optional unless I'm missing something

Realtek High Definition Audio
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2013-07-20 at 08:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    with ninite.com I can select my motherboard and it will automatically update my drivers for it? Same with video card? If so that's pretty damn nifty.

Ok I'll try 7zip, but I wouldn't really need that for now if ninite does all that, right?

16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15

Deleted
    with ninite.com I can select my motherboard and it will automatically update my drivers for it? Same with video card? If so that's pretty damn nifty.

Ok I'll try 7zip, but I wouldn't really need that for now if ninite does all that, right?
    Edited my last post and no Ninite is a quick way for getting any other programs you might need like/need Java, browser, messengers etc. and of course the 7-Zip I mentioned.

This is where you get your Motherboard drivers:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z87%2...load&os=Win764

10+ Year Old Account
    I know this doesn't mean a whole lot, but I just logged onto WoW and doubled checked my graphical settings. Its recommended Good and High for most everything. I have everything set to Ultra anyway and am getting ~50 fps in highly populated US-Stormrage Stormwind, around 80 out in the world. Everything definitely feels much smoother than my last PC, and the color this graphics card renders are much better than my last one. Is this about right, or should I be expecting more? Still haven't updated my mobo drivers yet, which is what I'm about to do now.

Also, thanks for the above suggestions, they really helped Avast Free seems pretty good so far.

EDIT: rig and setup pics incoming

16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15