View Poll Results: What type of effect would a cash shop have on the North American market?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Positive

    37 32.74%
  • Negative

    76 67.26%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    Herald of the Titans Pancaspe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,671
    I have way more money then time, so I would love a way to buy xp boosts and lesser charms.
    @Ghostcrawler:Some advice: [My pet issue] is why there were sub losses is one of the weaker arguments players use. Players don't have that data.

  2. #22
    Remove monthly fee if youre going to add a cash shop blizzard. Stop milking

  3. #23
    Scarab Lord Mokoshne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    getting a coffee
    Posts
    4,489
    a cash shop would just be another addition to a sinking ship. but it'll make a crap ton of money!
    My weekly podcast can be downloaded here this week we discuss Bill Cosby

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    People have principles
    Which aren't being challenged at all. So far it just looks like a short cut allowing ppl to purchase things for the already existing internet shop without tabbing out.
    Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before... He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. -Kurt Vonnegut, "Cat's Cradle"
    "Not everything on the internet is true." -- Abraham Lincoln
    Good is the enemy of great.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by deadllbolt View Post
    you forgot to include the correct answer, which is no effect.
    Not sure if serious...

    You can't possibly believe a cash shop would have Z E R O effect on the game.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Weightlifter View Post
    Dem Murricans forgot that Europe exists too?
    If EU wants a poll, let them make one. The EU market is not my concern as I do not live there, and my opinion in their market would be both unnecessary and unsubstantiated.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    Source for it only being released in Asia?
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-game-payments

    There is 31 pages of people screaming about it being released in the Asian markets.
    Last edited by -Superman-; 2013-07-12 at 02:39 PM.

  6. #26
    Scarab Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Liverpool, Merseyside
    Posts
    4,649
    Quote Originally Posted by Shedeo View Post
    Why? Its not pay2win so what does it matter?
    Its the principle of offering in game advantages via real life money whilst it's on a subscription base

  7. #27
    Anyone bothered to ask how it would effect Asia?

  8. #28
    We already have a store selling in-game pets/mounts.
    What you are describing is simply an in-game interface.
    No effect whatsoever, since it is offering nothing new in itself.
    The items being sold are what we need to question, and with only a single example so far we cannot judge that fairly.

    It is simply an interface in-game for the already existing store, what part of that do people not get.

    Mogu Runes are limited by the weekly quest, and even without a boost or effort-free gain of Lesser Charms I am already gathering way more of those than I can possibly convert on the weekly quest.

    XP boosts are only useful prior to level cap, which for most characters will be a tiny portion of their time played.
    Those are nothing to worry about since their impact is short-lived and offers no power advantage over another player, only making levelling a bit faster.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2013-07-12 at 03:09 PM.

  9. #29
    First off I think it will have a negative and positive effect on the game and me personally I think blizzard adding a ingame cash shop that works F2p/B2p mmo's without a f2p setup or at lease a p2p/f2p setup is a really bad form of double dipping.

    Second I find it funny that some people are ok with blizzard doing it but god forbid a f2p mmo comes out and dose the same thing they get called "Pay 2 Win and Greedy"

    And Finally we will know more soon I hope and see how this plays out. Not to get people yelling at me I have been saying it for awhile but I think blizzard is starting to lay the ground work down to go ether P2P+F2P or 100% f2p+Xpac cost's.

    It will be interesting to watch I think.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    We already have a store selling in-game pets/mounts.
    What you are describing is simply an in-game interface.
    No effect whatsoever, since it is offering nothing new in itself.
    The items being sold are what we need to question, and with only a single example so far we cannot judge that fairly.

    It is simply an interface in-game for the already existing store, what part of that do people not get.
    Pets and mounts is one thing cosmetic gear and boosts is another.
    My Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/jtbrig7390
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Jtbrig7390 "fallow for streaming details and all types of game updates"
    My Twitch Streaming Games All The Time: http://www.twitch.tv/jtbrig7390

  10. #30
    Scarab Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Liverpool, Merseyside
    Posts
    4,649
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Which aren't being challenged at all. So far it just looks like a short cut allowing ppl to purchase things for the already existing internet shop without tabbing out.
    The idea of a subscription model game using an in game store to offer in game advantages is disgusting to me and to many other players. If WoW went F2P i'd happily see it, but until then no way

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by jaber2 View Post
    Anyone bothered to ask how it would effect Asia?
    Asia has their own thread going on.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-game-payments

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    First off I think it will have a negative and positive effect on the game and me personally I think blizzard adding a ingame cash shop that works F2p/B2p mmo's without a f2p setup or at lease a p2p/f2p setup is a really bad form of double dipping.

    Second I find it funny that some people are ok with blizzard doing it but god forbid a f2p mmo comes out and dose the same thing they get called "Pay 2 Win and Greedy"

    And Finally we will know more soon I hope and see how this plays out. Not to get people yelling at me I have been saying it for awhile but I think blizzard is starting to lay the ground work down to go ether P2P+F2P or 100% f2p+Xpac cost's.

    It will be interesting to watch I think.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Pets and mounts is one thing cosmetic gear and boosts is another.
    Yes, but what impact does an xp boost and a lesser charm boost actually have ?
    Neither increase power, levelling isnt exactly hard as it is for the majority of players not constrained by the internet cafe model.
    Mogu Runes conversion from lesser charms is limited by a weekly quest, which means there is no impact to a boost to the lesser charms acquisition.
    Only if the conversion was unlimited, or consderably higher with a weekly cap being unrealistic to meet though normal play could there be any reason to be concerned. Neither are currently or likely to be the case in the future.
    Where has there been a mention of cosmetic gear, and given that multiple other games have sold skins/outfits really what is wrong with that ?
    Race /faction changes as an already existing option have far more of an impact than cosmetic gear would.

    Now certainly the "double-dipping" argument is worth discussing, but the presence of the store in offering an in-game interface for an already existing store is simply being twisted by people who are yelling about it being something else entirely.

    Nothing being sold so far, or being hinted at is as horrible or as game-breaking as people make them out to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by wych View Post
    The idea of a subscription model game using an in game store to offer in game advantages is disgusting to me and to many other players. If WoW went F2P i'd happily see it, but until then no way
    And what advantages are those ?
    Keeps being thrown around with nobody actually able to provide any reasons.
    Players have already recruited random people for the sake of Recruit a Friend or Scroll of Ressurection.
    Really are XP boosts harmful or selling power ? No.
    Their presence in a F2P title does not make them selling power, so why should their presence in WoW suddenly make them very different ?
    It doesn't.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2013-07-12 at 03:52 PM.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Yes, but what impact does an xp boost and a lesser charm boost actually have ?
    Neither increase power, levelling isnt exactly hard as it is.
    Mogu Runes conversion from lesser charms is limited by a weekly quest, which means there is no impact to a boost to the lesser charms acquisition.
    Only if the conversion was unlimited, or consderably higher with a weekly cap being unrealistic to meet though normal play could there be any reason to be concerned. Neither are currently or likely to be the case in the future.
    Where has there been a mention of cosmetic gear, and given that multiple other games have sold skins/outfits really what is wrong with that ?

    Now certainly the "double-dipping" argument is worth discussing, but the presence of the store in offering an in-game interface for an already existing store is simply being twisted by people who are yelling about it being something else entirely.

    Nothing being sold so far, or being hinted at is as horrible or as game-breaking as people make them out to be.



    And what advantages are those ?
    Keeps being thrown around with nobody actually able to provide any reasons.
    Players have already recruited random people for the sake of Recruit a Friend or Scroll of Ressurection.
    Really are XP boosts harmful or seling power ? No.
    Their presence in a F2P title does not make them selling power, so why should their presence in WoW suddenly make them very different ?
    It doesn't.
    I'm not saying that it dose make it P2w so don't take it that way and I am not subbed at this time so it dose not effect me ether way and if I was subbed it still wouldn't effect me.

    My personal beef with it is like I said its a bad form of Double Dipping. If your going to start doing the cash shop setup like how F2p MMO's do it then you need to go ether F2p or P2p/F2p or B2p. To me its just super greedy I never liked the cost of server transfers and character transfers and this is just the icing on the cake to that.

    I don't believe its P2W in anyway shape or form and like you said people can do the Recruit a friend/Scroll of ress and get the same benefit's.

    Its more of a wait and see what they will do but if they make a cash shop like how F2p/B2p mmo's do it then they need to go with the same sub plan as well.

    Its like I said I think this will have both a Positive and Negative effect on the game.
    My Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/jtbrig7390
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Jtbrig7390 "fallow for streaming details and all types of game updates"
    My Twitch Streaming Games All The Time: http://www.twitch.tv/jtbrig7390

  14. #34
    Heres a question for you guys: If they launched the cash store at the same time as MoP do you think blizzard would still had hotfixed the lesser charms weekly quest (from 90 needed to 50)? Even if we domt see any major changes as soon as they launch the cash shop it might change blizzards decisions in future expansions

  15. #35
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by wych View Post
    Its the principle of offering in game advantages via real life money whilst it's on a subscription base
    If someone pays the normal subscription fee to play the game for 1 month and that person then goes to the cash shop to buy a 100% exp boost at the cost of a monthly subscription fee he is essentially just paying 200% in subscription. Lets say that person would normally take 1 month to level a new character to level 90 now only takes 2 weeks, but the price in real life currency for that level 90 is exactly the same, the only thing he gained was more time in his life outside wow to do other things.

    There is no principle to be held in this matter, he just relatively pays the same as you to get to the same part of the game that the basic subscription covers aka the new endgame material.

  16. #36
    The Insane det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    18,554
    The only correct answer is: We don't know.

    There is no info yet what will be in the store. What will be there at the start, what it will be expanded to. Every judgement is clouded by either hate for this feature or praise for this feature. Oh yeah..and by the fact that I suppose there are no market anylysts, game designers or otherwise econonomocally savvy people participating in the talk.

    All guesswork and opinion
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by sisk View Post
    If someone pays the normal subscription fee to play the game for 1 month and that person then goes to the cash shop to buy a 100% exp boost at the cost of a monthly subscription fee he is essentially just paying 200% in subscription. Lets say that person would normally take 1 month to level a new character to level 90 now only takes 2 weeks, but the price in real life currency for that level 90 is exactly the same, the only thing he gained was more time in his life outside wow to do other things.

    There is no principle to be held in this matter, he just relatively pays the same as you to get to the same part of the game that the basic subscription covers aka the new endgame material.
    This is a very logical assessment. It will, however, be met with resistance by the gamers who think players should get no advantage of any kind and play the game the same way THEY play it. They will say things like "work hard" and "they should have to earn it". I agree with your post, but there are others who fail to understand the value in choice and the freedom to have those choices.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    The only correct answer is: We don't know.

    There is no info yet what will be in the store. What will be there at the start, what it will be expanded to. Every judgement is clouded by either hate for this feature or praise for this feature. Oh yeah..and by the fact that I suppose there are no market anylysts, game designers or otherwise econonomocally savvy people participating in the talk.

    All guesswork and opinion
    Everything we state is going to be speculation. That is the purpose of the thread. Also, just as an aside... your "Location" states you are: In your thread - aggrevating you. You might want to swap that e with an a

  18. #38
    The Insane det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    18,554
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    Also, just as an aside... your "Location" states you are: In your thread - aggrevating you. You might want to swap that e with an a
    Thanks Much apprechiated...
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

  19. #39
    Scarab Lord Mokoshne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    getting a coffee
    Posts
    4,489
    why should someone get to pay $$$ for additional benefits?
    My weekly podcast can be downloaded here this week we discuss Bill Cosby

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Thanks Much appreciated...
    No worries. I love the quote, but I just wanted to let you know before someone else was less than polite about it

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    why should someone get to pay $$$ for additional benefits?
    Why shouldn't they?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •