View Poll Results: What type of effect would a cash shop have on the North American market?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Positive

37 32.74%
  • Negative

76 67.26%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    The cash shop will sell as much as Blizzard feels it can get away with in the west without causing a mass exodus. They are starting out very cautiously with charms but everyone with a brain knows that selling charms is only an experimental beginning.

I wouldn't have too much faith in Blizzard. They did recently create, approve and support the greediest game design that was D3.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    The cash shop will sell as much as Blizzard feels it can get away with in the west without causing a mass exodus. They are starting out very cautiously with charms but everyone with a brain knows that selling charms is only an experimental beginning.

I wouldn't have too much faith in Blizzard. They did recently create, approve and support the greediest game design that was D3.
    D3 and the RMAH was driven by a player-created demand which existed back in D2.
    Sure blizzard did capitalise on it, but people are quick to forget that it only exists because in D2 players did pay real money for items from other 3rd parties where there was far less control over the outcome.
    Players made the problem, and then as usual whine about it.

As demonstrated by this poll, which is simply not offering fair options.

Unless blizzard sell some really screwed up items on the shop, then it will have no negative impact.
    It will have no impact on players with no interest in purchasing the items, and the two described items so far simply do not have the impact players seem to think they do.
    Heirlooms, RAF, SoR already cheat or trivialise much of the process, so it is not like another option is going to be harmful, and one not yet confirmed to be in the markets with the traditional subscription.

The elixir buff lasts 1 hour, and the elixir itself stacks upto 20 times in a given inventory slot.
    What that means is that you can pick and choose when to use it for maximum effect, such as when entering a dungeon but not while questing typically.
    It simply will not be realistic to double your levelling speed, or get anything close to that.
    And cost-wise an extra months subscription will likely cost less than trying to get a months-worth of extra xp.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2013-07-12 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    D3 and the RMAH was driven by a player-created demand which existed back in D2.
    Sure blizzard did capitalise on it, but people are quick to forget that it only exists because in D2 players did pay real money for items from other 3rd parties where there was far less control over the outcome.
    Players made the problem, and then as usual whine about it.
    A much forgotten fact methinks. But I also agree with the guy yoou quoted. Yes. It is a cautious beginning and they will add more on demand. It could also be a loooooong and slow progression towards the day when WoW will eventually go f2p. Could be in a few years, who knows?

Or it is a test for the next MMO they will bring out.

That said..I personally can pace myself. I think I have one pet from the store? My fingers itch for that bat..but I am not paying 20 Euros for it. Although I could afford it without thinking twice. Still..I am not gonna bitch and moan about it. Blizzard is not my company. It is their decision and they have better paid and educated (in the field of gaming) people than I am. I also know that I can always pay my money somewhere else if I like another game or business model better.

Honestly, if anone is up in arms and playing the "morally wrong" or "greedy blizz" card - there are certainly more worthy subjects of your fake rage. Target gas companies, target electricity companies, target multinationals like Nestle and boycot them. Hell..any company that exploits 3rd world labor so they can sell the shiny iphones and Nikes for an outrageous profit margin to you.
    Last edited by det; 2013-07-12 at 05:49 PM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Honestly, if anone is up in arms and playing the "morally wrong" or "greedy blizz" card - there are certainly more worthy subjects of your fake rage. Target gas companies, target electricity companies, target multinationals like Nestle and boycot them. Hell..any company that exploits 3rd world labor so they can sell the shiny iphones and Nikes for an outrageous profit margin to you.
    Indeed, particularly utility companies which are guilty of far more dodgy practices than anything blizzard do.
    At least here the cost and effects are up-front and visible to all.
    More than we can say about many other services we pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-game-payments

There is 31 pages of people screaming about it being released in the Asian markets.
    I am somewhat confused as to how you reached the conclusion from that thread this is only being released in Asia and Blizzard's last statement on the matter where they say "... new kinds of items we’re looking into introducing (in Asian regions, at the outset)..." certainly seems to suggest that Asia is just the start and this is on its way to Western realms.

Back to the topic I do not see how without further information we can say what the effect one way or another of an in game shop will be. If they release an item shop whilst moving to F2P or B2P I can see it having a massive positive effect on the in game population and possibly Blizzard's bottom line although much of that depends on how many subs are left at the time. If they release this whilst the game is still exploiting P2P and B2P payment models then certainly from a player position is a negative and potentially they run a huge risk of alienating players and thus accelerating the already alarming loss of subs.

It would have far less of a negative impact than folks think. The toe has already been dipped in the P2W pool back when the cub was released in Cata, and that didn't seem to really make an impact.

Some folks will quit over it, others will simply provide self justification for accepting it.
    Benevolence is a luxury for the strong - Wrathion

I withhold voting until you add "No effect at all".

Quote Originally Posted by Ryzzen View Post
    I withhold voting until you add "No effect at all".
    Can't change the Poll Oh well... guess we will never get your vote. Can't tell you how saddened I am by that.

I would say most players wouldn't care, it's just the vocal few that come on the forums that don't like it, it seems. I've asked people ingame and none of them seem to give two shits about it. Or they think it's cool.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    It would have far less of a negative impact than folks think. The toe has already been dipped in the P2W pool back when the cub was released in Cata, and that didn't seem to really make an impact.

Some folks will quit over it, others will simply provide self justification for accepting it.

I agree. Most things that I disagree with on mmo-champ I don't fight to win the arguement. But this one I REALLY think people are making a huge deal out of nothing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=YEV94mMGncs
    Last edited by Vynestra; 2013-07-12 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    Not sure if serious...

You can't possibly believe a cash shop would have Z E R O effect on the game.

- - - Updated - - -
    With intelligence, and realizing so far it isn't being released in north america, yes, i can, in fact, believe there would be zero effect in north america. also, it's not pay to win, so even if it IS being done in north america, that still = zero effect. 0+0-0=0.
    "You are not prep--" *ROGUE BURNS PREPARATION* "Aw shit."

dont we (us market) already buy mounts and pets? Getting that little tree elemental thing this week :3
    Last edited by Redpanda; 2013-07-22 at 05:32 PM.