Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Taking omega-3 = Increased prostate risk

    I saw this today take it read it and believe if you want to or not, but it is interesting study to say the least on the subject of prostate cancer.

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...cancer-70.html

  2. #2
    Just throwing this out there, don't get too worked up over the 70% increased chance. Bear in mind that it's a 70% increase, not an increase TO 70%.

    SUPER quick (thus, I cannot vouch for accuracy) Google search says 8% of men between the ages of 50 and 70 will develop prostate cancer. An increase by 70% raises this to 13%.

    So the chance is still pretty low.

    But if you want to do everything you can to have as few risk factors for developing cancer as possible, I suppose this is valuable information.

    I'm currently taking it, along with a plethora of other supplements - and yes, I know, the overall benefits are fairly inconsequential to the results for their price - to help boost my weight loss efforts. I don't plan on continuing to take a vast majority of these products once I reach an ideal weight. But hey, I've dropped 35 pounds in the past 2 months purely from diet and supplementation.

  3. #3
    The Insane Cattaclysmic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Århus
    Posts
    17,919
    Afaik its pretty well known, or at least its known within medicine, that omega-3 dampens your immune system making it a good thing to eat for those with auto-immune diseases. Its not that significant though nor do I trust the daily mail further than i can punt it...

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Veyne View Post
    Just throwing this out there, don't get too worked up over the 70% increased chance. Bear in mind that it's a 70% increase, not an increase TO 70%.

    SUPER quick (thus, I cannot vouch for accuracy) Google search says 8% of men between the ages of 50 and 70 will develop prostate cancer. An increase by 70% raises this to 13%.

    So the chance is still pretty low.

    But if you want to do everything you can to have as few risk factors for developing cancer as possible, I suppose this is valuable information.

    I'm currently taking it, along with a plethora of other supplements - and yes, I know, the overall benefits are fairly inconsequential to the results for their price - to help boost my weight loss efforts. I don't plan on continuing to take a vast majority of these products once I reach an ideal weight. But hey, I've dropped 35 pounds in the past 2 months purely from diet and supplementation.
    I agree the benefits might outweigh the risks of it.
    But if you have a increased risk from family history might be wise to bring this up to your doctor next time you see him/her if in fact taking these omega-3s

  5. #5
    The Insane Cattaclysmic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Århus
    Posts
    17,919
    Quote Originally Posted by makominami View Post
    I agree the benefits might outweigh the risks of it.
    But if you have a increased risk from family history might be wise to bring this up to your doctor next time you see him/her if in fact taking these omega-3s
    Or you know - eating fish.

  6. #6
    Pit Lord tommypilgrim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    2,337
    Don't give a fuck. Love seafood. I'd rather get arse cancer than go without.

    Yes, I know prostate =/= arse. It's in the same region.
    Did you like the above post? How about sending me a dollar? I'd have adverts here but apparently that'd break ToS.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by tommypilgrim View Post
    Don't give a fuck. Love seafood. I'd rather get arse cancer than go without.
    ... it's about supplements not eating seafood.
    anyways, with regular masturbation it evens out to zero or something right! that's how those things work right?!

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by makominami View Post
    I agree the benefits might outweigh the risks of it.
    But if you have a increased risk from family history might be wise to bring this up to your doctor next time you see him/her if in fact taking these omega-3s
    Trust me, I'm putting worse in my body. XD

    And you know, now that you mention it, the only incident of cancer in my family for several generations has been a very small cancerous mass in my mother's kidneys entirely by accident. They said it could have easily stayed in there for another 10-15 years before it would've even shown symptoms.

    Pretty much everyone in my family has either died of old age or some completely stupid accident (my dad's side is from South Carolina and my mom's side is from Tennessee, so you can imagine the rednecks and hillbillies. It seems like when my mom and dad got together, they decided to raise us away from a southern upbringing - Yay Suburbia minutes away from a major metropolitan city!)

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    ... it's about supplements not eating seafood.
    anyways, with regular masturbation it evens out to zero or something right! that's how those things work right?!
    It's from all Omega-3's, the thing about supplements is that they're just considerably higher amounts of it, and most people who take them take them daily, and multiple times a day.

  9. #9
    Pit Lord tommypilgrim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    2,337
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    ... it's about supplements not eating seafood.
    Well then smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
    Did you like the above post? How about sending me a dollar? I'd have adverts here but apparently that'd break ToS.

  10. #10
    The Insane Cattaclysmic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Århus
    Posts
    17,919
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    ... it's about supplements not eating seafood.
    anyways, with regular masturbation it evens out to zero or something right! that's how those things work right?!
    You do know that one takes supplements to make up for the things one does not get through food because one does not eat said food - meaning that you can get it through food. This one you get through certain types of fish.

  11. #11
    Old God Frozenbeef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Uk - England
    Posts
    10,784
    Ahh crud i eat mackerel/ cod/ tuna/ salmon at least 3 times a week >.< I hope it's just the supplements and not the real thing

  12. #12
    The Insane smrund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In the state of Denial.
    Posts
    15,503
    Eat healthy? Die healthy.

    Eat unhealthy? Die unhealthy.

    Don't eat? Die hungry.

    No matter what you eat, or how much of it you eat, you still die.

    Call me when they figure out what to, or not to eat that makes you immortal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    Sometimes life gives you lemons, other times life gives you boobies. Life is always better with more boobies.
    Blizzard removed my subscription from WoD's features, it'll be added sometime later.
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Eat healthy? Die healthy.

    Eat unhealthy? Die unhealthy.

    Don't eat? Die hungry.

    No matter what you eat, or how much of it you eat, you still die.

    Call me when they figure out what to, or not to eat that makes you immortal.

    Eat healthy? Live longer

    Eat unhealthy? Die faster

    Don't eat? starve to death.

    Hmmm which one shall i pick?


    OT: i saw one of the comments stating that African Americans have the highest risk in prostate cancer and the Japanese the lowest yet the Japanese eat the most sea food... how does that work?
    Last edited by Riddles; 2013-07-11 at 10:59 PM.

  14. #14
    The Insane Cattaclysmic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Århus
    Posts
    17,919
    Quote Originally Posted by Riddles View Post
    Eat healthy? Live longer

    Eat unhealthy? Die faster

    Don't eat? starve to death.

    Hmmm which one shall i pick?


    OT: i saw one of the comments stating that African Americans have the highest risk in prostate cancer and the Japanese the lowest yet the Japanese eat the most sea food... how does that work?
    Its probably not true either. IIRC the developing countries will have a lower rate of prostate cancer. It maybe true for the developing world but to dumb it down to omega-3 being the most prominent cause is something Fox or the Mail would do - not what is true.

  15. #15
    The Insane smrund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In the state of Denial.
    Posts
    15,503
    Quote Originally Posted by Riddles View Post
    Eat healthy? Live longer

    Eat unhealthy? Die faster

    Don't eat? starve to death.

    Hmmm which one shall i pick?


    OT: i saw one of the comments stating that African Americans have the highest risk in prostate cancer and the Japanese the lowest yet the Japanese eat the most sea food... how does that work?
    I'll eat what I like(good or bad) and live or die with the consequences. I'd rather than that twist myself up for some diet that MIGHT buy me a few more years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    Sometimes life gives you lemons, other times life gives you boobies. Life is always better with more boobies.
    Blizzard removed my subscription from WoD's features, it'll be added sometime later.
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

  16. #16
    Lol at using dailymail as a source.
    Every day that retarded website has some new health scare.

    The benefits far outweigh the risks.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I'll eat what I like(good or bad) and live or die with the consequences. I'd rather than that twist myself up for some diet that MIGHT buy me a few more years.
    so you dont take flu shots?

  18. #18
    The Lightbringer OzoAndIndi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    3,457
    Like a lot of things I guess there is a good up side, but also a possible down side. It's life though, it's all a risk of the outcome from the choices we make. I suppose a lower dose at least might be a somewhat better option for someone who's worried but doesn't want to stop taking it entirely.

  19. #19
    The Lightbringer Whitey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    3,257
    Oh c'mon what hasn't there been a study made out of to show it causes some form of cancer.. Also Daily Mail, not that it automatically invalidates it but still.
    And besides even if it certainly involved an increased cancer risk, the benefits of omega-3 would outweigh it.
    WBMA - Leave our beards alone

    Battletag - Whitey#2918 - feel free to add me, I'm a social animal


  20. #20
    Scarab Lord Azutael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    4,748
    A 70% increase of an already low number isn't much to worry about at all though.

    Basically anything you eat or drink would kill you in the right amounts. Still people get worked up on all the "news" articles that are posted almost every single day.
    One week X food is potentially lethal, the next week it's a miraculous cure for everything.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •