Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    3 Reasons I hate the Steam Client.

    1. Ads, because they are annoying pop ups that I get after quitting TF2 and other games.
    So turn them off. It's an option.

    steam://settings/interface
    Uncheck the bottom one, then click ok.

    2. I hate that I can't just double click my skse loader for Skyrim without first booting up Steam. I hate that extra boot up time for features that I dont use, that shouldnt have to be used to play the game.
    Then dont get the steam version.

    3. I hate how they set up Steam Cloud. I installed a mod for Skyrim that broke the game, the Steam cloud loaded it into the cloud, so when I reinstalled, it didnt fix it. Yet there is no option for me to delete my data that is in their cloud. I have to contact them and wait days for customer support. How hard is it to add a delete cloud files option next to the delete local files option!
    How the cloud is utilized is up to the game developer. How are they to know that you didn't really mean to install a bad third party mod?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

    -Kujako-

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    3 Reasons I hate the Steam Client.

    1. Ads, because they are annoying pop ups that I get after quitting TF2 and other games.

    2. I hate that I can't just double click my skse loader for Skyrim without first booting up Steam. I hate that extra boot up time for features that I dont use, that shouldnt have to be used to play the game.

    3. I hate how they set up Steam Cloud. I installed a mod for Skyrim that broke the game, the Steam cloud loaded it into the cloud, so when I reinstalled, it didnt fix it. Yet there is no option for me to delete my data that is in their cloud. I have to contact them and wait days for customer support. How hard is it to add a delete cloud files option next to the delete local files option!

    - - - Updated - - -



    About what in comparison? I don't get pop up ads on Origin. It still has to load up, but I dont notice it taking longer then Steam. Never had a problem installing games from it, or loading games off back up storage. I have never contacted their customer support, but then I havent had to.
    Origin is 10000% crap.

    I had my account Hijacked shortly after starting to use their service. They couldn't change my password without my email account so it was easy enough to change my password and get back in. HOWEVER;

    They had setup a security password somehow on my account and I couldn't change it. I couldn't change my display name either because I didn't have that questions answer. My DISPLAY NAME.

    Contacting their support staff was a pain in the ass.

  3. #23
    I am Murloc! Korgoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Barbaria
    Posts
    5,723
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    So turn them off. It's an option.

    steam://settings/interface
    Uncheck the bottom one, then click ok.

    Then dont get the steam version.

    How the cloud is utilized is up to the game developer. How are they to know that you didn't really mean to install a bad third party mod?
    1. So 'Notify me about additions or changes to my games, new releases, and upcoming releases.' means "SPAM ME WITH POP UP ADS"?

    2. Really? C'mon son. Steam has annoying bullshit, not sure why you think that everyone who dislikes it should just stop using Steam, instead of Steam getting better. That's Fanboy logic.

    3. Bullshit. Valve can let users control their cloud data, and should. Your data should be able to be deleted by you using the Steam client. Like with any cloud service.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by SoulForge View Post
    Origin is 10000% crap.

    I had my account Hijacked shortly after starting to use their service. They couldn't change my password without my email account so it was easy enough to change my password and get back in. HOWEVER;

    They had setup a security password somehow on my account and I couldn't change it. I couldn't change my display name either because I didn't have that questions answer. My DISPLAY NAME.

    Contacting their support staff was a pain in the ass.
    And your account was hijacked how? Want to link the news story about how EA servers were attacked and user data was taken and that data wasnt encrypted properly...

    I am willing to bet you got hijacked because you used poor security. Which can happen with Steam, or Battle Net or PSN...
    You, you'll regret what you have done this day, I will make you regret ever being born, you're going to wish you never left your mother's womb, where it was warm and safe and wet, I am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainbow!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=ep65rr-9qjQ Full Pilot Episode! Best thing to come out of Adult Swim!

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    2. Really? C'mon son. Steam has annoying bullshit, not sure why you think that everyone who dislikes it should just stop using Steam, instead of Steam getting better. That's Fanboy logic.
    Indeed, bullshit logics.

    Meanwhile on my end the happiness continues!

    "An unexpected error has occurred. Your purchase has not been completed.
    Please contact Steam Support."

    Over and over and over and over...

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    2. Really? C'mon son. Steam has annoying bullshit, not sure why you think that everyone who dislikes it should just stop using Steam, instead of Steam getting better. That's Fanboy logic.
    Sorry, I thought not using a service you clearly hate with a passion as logical. Guess not.

    I dislike origin, I will not buy any product that uses it. But I will also not go on long rants asking them to make it something its not. Vote with your dollars, it's the only voice you have in these situations.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

    -Kujako-

  6. #26
    I am Murloc! Korgoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Barbaria
    Posts
    5,723
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Sorry, I thought not using a service you clearly hate with a passion as logical. Guess not.

    I dislike origin, I will not buy any product that uses it. But I will also not go on long rants asking them to make it something its not. Vote with your dollars, it's the only voice you have in these situations.
    Something its not? Being able to control my cloud data is changing what Steam is? Not getting a pop up ad is changing what Steam is? Being able to load a game without loading Steam is changing what Steam is? C'mon.

    Steam is a store and a social network. It's flawed, but I will still use it because at the end of the day I will buy the game from the place it's cheapest. Steam, Origin, Amazon, Gamefly, wherever.
    Last edited by Korgoth; 2013-07-12 at 01:28 AM.
    You, you'll regret what you have done this day, I will make you regret ever being born, you're going to wish you never left your mother's womb, where it was warm and safe and wet, I am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainbow!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=ep65rr-9qjQ Full Pilot Episode! Best thing to come out of Adult Swim!

  7. #27
    I am Murloc! aikoyamamato's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Orem, UT
    Posts
    5,001
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Sorry, I thought not using a service you clearly hate with a passion as logical. Guess not.
    It's not always as easy as not using something because you don't like it.

    Let's say I have two salesmen at my door trying to sell me my favorite game. One of them has the disc in hand, ready to hand over to me for the full price of $60. The other salesman has the game locked in a puzzle box, but if I manage to open it up I get the game at a discounted $20. I'm going to try to open that damn puzzle box. :P

    That's how I feel when I use Steam, anyway...
    Do you play SimCity 5? Come join us on the MMO Champion Regions!
    My Origin friends list is full but hit me up by PM if you want to build a city with me.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    It's not always as easy as not using something because you don't like it.

    Let's say I have two salesmen at my door trying to sell me my favorite game. One of them has the disc in hand, ready to hand over to me for the full price of $60. The other salesman has the game locked in a puzzle box, but if I manage to open it up I get the game at a discounted $20. I'm going to try to open that damn puzzle box. :P

    That's how I feel when I use Steam, anyway...
    That's exactly the whole problem in a nutshell. Since I hate the client whole heartedly and passionately.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    And your account was hijacked how? Want to link the news story about how EA servers were attacked and user data was taken and that data wasnt encrypted properly...

    I am willing to bet you got hijacked because you used poor security. Which can happen with Steam, or Battle Net or PSN...
    In this case it was poor security on my part. Which I am not complaining about. But I was more irritated at the hoops I had to jump through to change my display name. Something that takes seconds in steam and I can change all I want to is painful to do in Origin and you can only do once every 7 days.

  10. #30
    Maybe I'm biased because I've used steam since its "Green" days, and simple library of games; but I don't have much reason to use any other program as my main one. Steam doesn't use that many resources to run in the background on my computer, and houses way too many games to even think about abandoning it. I've used Origin, and many game sites that keep your library of games on an account and the likes (Or just sell you a key).. And I don't see why I wouldn't use Steam. Than again I don't even care for most of the community features that have been added besides the discussion and old school SPUF.
    Hearts are man kinds lock. If only everyone's emotions were a skeleton key, this world would be a happier place.

  11. #31
    Never had any issues, and here in Australia the Download speeds are ridiculous, I get 10 - 12MB/s.

  12. #32
    The only two things I hate:

    1. Steam needs to be open to run the games.

    2. I wish they'd have some type of hover-over color for buttons/links, I never can tell if it's going to load the page or if I clicked stupidly.
    Corsa | Korki | Gooni | Pootle | Anoxic | Boons | Ambitious | Orig | Your | Musclepump

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    1. So 'Notify me about additions or changes to my games, new releases, and upcoming releases.' means "SPAM ME WITH POP UP ADS"?

    2. Really? C'mon son. Steam has annoying bullshit, not sure why you think that everyone who dislikes it should just stop using Steam, instead of Steam getting better. That's Fanboy logic.

    3. Bullshit. Valve can let users control their cloud data, and should. Your data should be able to be deleted by you using the Steam client. Like with any cloud service.

    1) If by "Spam me with bullshit" You mean one window that literally pops up once a day because you agree to it, sure why not.

    2) Your reasons for it being bullshit are...silly. They are not issues with steam, more issues with you thinking ahead. Couldnt you have just bought the physical copy for Skyrim if you didnt want to use steam for it?

    3) Its your fault for not backing up your data. Almost every mod creator warns you, and reminds you, to do it. Plus, the cloud only backs up save files... If it was fucked before, chances are its fucked again. You would just have to go to a previous save.....Unless you dont have any. Again, that would be your fault, not steams.

  14. #34
    Never had a bad problem with steam. Usually have 5-6mbs downloads, never had any issues buying games, and never have any lag problems that aren't on my end.

    Oirgin, on the other hand, is a complete mess and abomination. Only have 1 game that uses it (Crysis 3) and I will literally never buy another EA game, worst program I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with.

  15. #35
    I dont concur with their privacy policy and so uninstalled steam.

    That aint a problem but it arises some:
    - i cant play certain games since steam is mandatory for their usage
    - makers of those games will never sell to me even tho i would be willing to buy, which is kinda... not good for their business.

    So in the end they stall my fun and some game developrs business.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    Not getting a pop up ad is changing what Steam is?
    You are literally complaining about optional pop-up ads that appear (for me at the very least) once a week.
    Take a step back and consider that.
    Think about it.

  17. #37
    Dreadlord Teroseth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Liverpool *shivers* UK *shivers more*
    Posts
    822
    I've never really thought about it, to be honest, it's nice that it has all those games located and able to launch in one place, that's a good thing, never really had any issues with it...i suppose the web-browser it has in it could be better, for when I need to google something in game...but then that's why God invented alt-tabbing...so, yeah....
    A smart man puts his money on the horse with the best odds...a wise man doesn't waste his money gambling on an outcome he has no control over.
    A blog thing for you! http://yetisteaparty.blogspot.co.uk
    A youtube thinghttp://www.youtube.com/user/Teroseth/
    Short story things http://teroseth.blogspot.co.uk/

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Zefie View Post
    You are literally complaining about optional pop-up ads that appear (for me at the very least) once a week.
    Take a step back and consider that.
    Think about it.
    Wouldn't even bother wasting your time to be honest, he's just looking for something to hate on.

    That box that pops up after you close a game sure is annoying, takes all of 2 seconds to hit the X button, or hey maybe you'll see a really good deal and pick up a new game. Man, wouldn't want that to happen, saving money is the worst.

  19. #39
    Mechagnome Icaras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    744
    I'm not really a fan of being reliant on a 3rd party program to have to play some games, but sadly it seems its here to stay and sometimes you have no choice.

    When I got Duke Nukem Forever as a Christmas present, I had to have steam to play the game. I'm also really interested in Shadowrun Returns (But wasn't a kickstarter backer) so from what I'm seeing, I also have no choice but to use Steam to get the game.

    That said I don't use steam much, mainly because the kind of games that get released on it, usually don't really appeal to me
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

  20. #40
    Cant say I ever had any trouble with Steam as far as games not working or dissconnects due to client etc.
    Also love their download servers. I max my 100mbit fiber flat every time I need to redownload a game or bought a new one.
    Quote Originally Posted by TooMuch View Post
    Like said before, I am in Boston this week and if you are the big man you claim to be, come visit me. I'll PM you the hotel and room number. Let's see if you are such a hero in real life too, like you claim to be.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •