Thread: Re-subscribed

15+ Year Old Account

Talking Re-subscribed

Hey folks. I'm an MMO-Champ veteran. I've been out of the game since Cata and I just threw a month onto my account and upgraded it on a whim. Time to check out all this MoP hype (and try to work out a few hours each week to actually log in and play; if the launcher will bloody update). I lead a pretty busy, family-filled life, which is why I've been away all this time. No real time to play even now, but the urge never really left...

Anyway, re-introductions aside, I did roll a priest on my brother's account at the start of the year, but I only reached level 83 in the few short weeks I had enough free time to play (and had an awesome time levelling and healing instances). But my real passion is the mage that I put so many years and hundreds of hours into playing. I'm just wondering if there is some sort of primer around to prepare me for playing my mage, considering the changes that have taken place. I played really casually during Cata and wasn't totally up to speed even then. What, in essence, do I really need to know in order to enjoy my mage -- provided I will find enough time to get from 85-90?

Good to be back, but in the little time I have, I really want to have a good time and see if the game still has draw. My guild has always been pretty casual, and chances are I will be a loner at the times I manage to wrangle out to log in.

Cheers.
    For the Alliance!

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're going to play just a bit now and then as you get the time, then don't let people on this forum ruin it for you with comments about how we suck, how the talents are terrible etc.

Unless you're a heroic raider who raids 10+ hours per week (and I don't think you'll be doing that anytime soon heh), then we're perfectly fine and fun to play in any of our 3 specs welcome back and enjoy!
    My magic will tear you apart.

Deleted
    At level 87 you will learn a spell called Alter Time its good in PvP but also a DPS increase and survivability CD. Learn to use it right away and play with it. I recommend frost, but play whatever you like, and whilst leveling I recommend to experiment. Once you're level 90 and have done the heroic dungeons and are stepping into LFR, go read some guides. You'll find you'll want to play frost till you are farming normal ToT.

1-90 frost and then frost till 530... insane

If you're very proficient with Shatter, Frost Bomb is going to be your new best friend.

15+ Year Old Account
    I get the feeling that frost is the way to go. It's been a long time since I played frost seriously. I tried out frost bomb in a fire spec and it was pretty cool, but if I spec frost, I'm sure I'll find it even easier to gather enemies up and nuke them down in a very controlled manner. It looks at first glance as if the differences between specs is quite minimal. There doesn't seem to be any sort of penalty in being fire and using things like Blizzard and Frost Bomb. I guess that is something to get used to when you have spent years with the old talent tree system.

Thanks for the suggestions. I may be able to find time to play when my wife goes to sleep tonight, it being Friday and all.
    For the Alliance!

Quote Originally Posted by Tokas View Post
    1-90 frost and then frost till 530... insane
    1-90 Any of the 3 specs. Leveling is far to easy for any spec to have anything to say.
    at 90 frost is slighty ahead and more consistent in damage until crit values reach around 35% self buffed crit. After that fire is ahead unless RNG gods really hates you. But if you are not gonna play progress any spec works. (ive been fire on my 4 mages all expansion)

Only playing casual in this game now. And damn it feels great.

I recently leveled up my level 80 mage alt to level 90 and I can just say leveling as frost is really fun running around pulling massive pulls and freezing, blasting, AoE, running, kiting, freezing, nuking and a 50/50 chance that you survive if you did not pull too much. While leveling I would just ignore time warp entirely its a very complex spell and has a big chance of just screwing you over, If you use it perfectly you can get some serious benefits but this only really matters if you are doing any type of real raiding until then just frost nova, Frozen orb, blizzard, pet freeze mobs all the way to 90.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelond View Post
    I recently leveled up my level 80 mage alt to level 90 and I can just say leveling as frost is really fun running around pulling massive pulls and freezing, blasting, AoE, running, kiting, freezing, nuking and a 50/50 chance that you survive if you did not pull too much.
    Can totally agree with this. Mage leveling is some of the funnest leveling in the game.
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shangalar View Post
    If you're going to play just a bit now and then as you get the time, then don't let people on this forum ruin it for you with comments about how we suck, how the talents are terrible etc.

Unless you're a heroic raider who raids 10+ hours per week (and I don't think you'll be doing that anytime soon heh), then we're perfectly fine and fun to play in any of our 3 specs welcome back and enjoy!
    I wouldn't say that's quite true though, I'm no longer a HC raider but I still find Rune to be a pain.

My Mage is still fun to play though!

Quote Originally Posted by egrus View Post
    1-90 Any of the 3 specs. Leveling is far to easy for any spec to have anything to say.
    at 90 frost is slighty ahead and more consistent in damage until crit values reach around 35% self buffed crit. After that fire is ahead unless RNG gods really hates you. But if you are not gonna play progress any spec works. (ive been fire on my 4 mages all expansion)
    This. All 3 specs are more viable than they have ever been in relation to one another at level cap; if you're not aiming for progression raiding, play whatever spec you like.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaiwyn View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I may be able to find time to play when my wife goes to sleep tonight, it being Friday and all.
    Sad, just sad.

Welcome back. When reaching 90 you have several reputations to grind. Just remember to grind reputation with the wife as well =)

Deleted
    You'll have fun. I work 11 hours a day and love LFR. Makes me feel like a raider with my crazy work shifts. Just level to 90 then play frost until you have about 36% crit. Then switch to fire. But will not be until you have 520gs which is current tier raiding.
    Have fun. And pick up your legendary questlines

10+ Year Old Account
    Come 5.4 once your fairly geared in siege lfr gear that will be the time to switch to fire unless it gets nerfed on the ptr.