10+ Year Old Account

MW monks. staff or 1h?

For fist weaving which is better, and does it matter? My monk will only be healing up to lfr, so i will be doing a of of fistweaving. Is a staff significantly better at it then a 1h off hand?

Use the highest ilvl weapon. I kinda feel that 2H may give a bit more damage, but it's secondary to ilvl

10+ Year Old Account
    So if i have a 450 staff and 1h with a 463 off hand id go with the 1h then?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    So if i have a 450 staff and 1h with a 463 off hand id go with the 1h then?
    Yes, usually spellpower is the deciding factor. 1H has more net stats, but 2H has a 10% damage benefit.

10+ Year Old Account
    staff holds more secondary stats usually while 1h+off-hand holds more primary stats. Primary stats is what you'd want for fistweaving I reckon.

Also, the damage for 1h is I believe the same for when you use a 2h.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Emfg View Post
    Also, the damage for 1h is I believe the same for when you use a 2h.
    Nope, we get no compensation for bad 1h weapon damage.

Also, stats for Jinrokh sword + Lei Shen OH over Suen-Wo:

59 Int
    264 Spi
    1554 Crit (2.59%)

Stats for Suen-Wo over sword:

39 Sta
    1024 Mastery (1.71)
    589 Haste (1.39%)
    877.8 Melee DPS
    Last edited by mmoc3f252392be; 2013-07-12 at 01:07 PM.

Eh, might as well piggyback.

Say I have the Council of Elders fist weapon + Lei Shen off hand and the Ji-Kun staff, which one is better for mistweaving?

Everything from normal? i'd go with the staff, but you can easily test yourself and see

the 450 quest staff has the full normal ilvl 450 weapon damage on it, and is amazing for fist weaving, better than even some epics. in general for fist weaving now a staff is superior, to a 1her by a fairly large amount assuming you're not just auto attacking.

if you're not fist weaving it doesn't matter, ilvl things with spirit and not mastery.

just did some testing. as I don't have 1h and 2h highend-weps of the same itemlevel, i used the best I could find in the AH. (2 green lvl 69 weapons, both without Spellpower in them) and did some target dummy bashing. (in full 544 gear, half naked and totally naked, to compensate for the fact that with high ilvl the Int provides most of the damage and not the weapon itself)

fact is: weapon abilities do exact the same damage. no matter if you use a 1h or 2h, your tigerpalms/BoKs do the same damage.
    The only difference is in Autohit damage and frequency, allthough the netto DPS was very similar.
    In the end 1h came out ouver 2h in all dummy tests, but allways by only ~1%. (Actually it was the lucky one that had more Tigerstrike proccs, but I tried to math that out in the end)
    This is of course no proof, but to me statistically significant enough to say that they are intended to be and probably are the same in terms of DPS.
    Use the weapons with higher Ilvl. Or if that is the same: the one with your prefered stats.

edit: of you have the choice, use 1h+OH. You get more stats. The difference in secondary/primary stats is minimal and dependant on the sockets/socketbonusses. But the 165 Int from the offhand-enchant you get as a bonus over 2h, which is why its better.
    (with my 1h+OH I gained: 17 Int [including enchant: 182 Int], but lost 8 secondary stats and 43 Stamina compared to a same ilvl 2h)
    Last edited by TheTrueM4gg0t; 2013-07-12 at 09:29 PM.

They are the same in terms of damage. The skills are designed that way, and as for auto attacks: go look at your Way of the Monk tooltip next time you change spec to Mistweaver and compare it to the other specs.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrueM4gg0t View Post
    fact is: weapon abilities do exact the same damage. no matter if you use a 1h or 2h, your tigerpalms/BoKs do the same damage.
    The only difference is in Autohit damage and frequency, allthough the netto DPS was very similar.
    Strange, latest SimC shows 2H deals higher damage than 1H, but the "MoP Mistweaver Calculations" shows some difference between 1H and 2H. Generally speaking, 1H has higher malee damage but lower skill (TP/BoK) damage, 2H has higher Skill damage but lower malee. Consider in the real battle, we have many multi-target output time(like ToT #3), which BoK is the main DPS skill, the 2H should be the better choice.

However, in your tests, both 1H and 2H have exactly same TP/BoK damange. Does that means SimC and the "MoP Mistweaver Calculations" are wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRen View Post
    However, in your tests, both 1H and 2H have exactly same TP/BoK damange. Does that means SimC and the "MoP Mistweaver Calculations" are wrong?
    I don't know if they are wrong, the only thing I can say, that I've been hitting target dummies for a few hours over the last few days, with different weapons and gear setups, and the result was always the same:
    2h has slightly (0-1%) more ability damage, but 1H more autohit/tigerstrikes (~3%). the difference in total DPS is negligible (1H+OH normally ended up on top)
    the differences are so small, I don't know if they are true differences or statistical flaws. my conclusion is: just use the higher itemlvl weapon, or the one with your prefered secondstats if same ilvl

Deleted
    I don't know, I recall the damage difference being evident but when I equip my 549 1h I seem to do the same if not slightly higher damage. Could be completely placebo though, it's possible we have a stealth buff to 1h weapon dps somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Reglitch View Post
    I don't know, I recall the damage difference being evident but when I equip my 549 1h I seem to do the same if not slightly higher damage. Could be completely placebo though, it's possible we have a stealth buff to 1h weapon dps somewhere.
    I think they might have changed that when they nerfed the DD-weapons for us.

Considerably all end game mistweavers are going with H LS Mace w/ H LS Offhand. If you are not progressed up to LS yet. The next best bet if you're in heroics would be Jin'rokhs Sword w/ Iron Qon's offhand. Just reforge that spirit into crit/haste. & If you're just a LFR junkie go with what was stated first.

So staff weapon against 1h + offhand equals same damage output? Playing crane-MW pvp (arena). Bought the one hander because had a good offhand from pve. But now I was wondering if I would make more damage with staff equipped.

When swapping between the weapons theres no difference in the tooltips of jab, rising sun kick and blackout kick. But I hit harder with auto attacks with staff, but faster of course with 1h.

damn, this is a necro.
    ok no, now blizzard have pruned the class so that WW can ONLY use their skills with 1-hand weapons equipped.

the rotation is back to it'd MoP beta design.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Malikath View Post
    ok no, now blizzard have pruned the class so that WW can ONLY use their skills with 1-hand weapons equipped.
    how is that relevant for Mistweaver?

Quote Originally Posted by Talfy123 View Post
    So staff weapon against 1h + offhand equals same damage output? Playing crane-MW pvp (arena). Bought the one hander because had a good offhand from pve. But now I was wondering if I would make more damage with staff equipped.

When swapping between the weapons theres no difference in the tooltips of jab, rising sun kick and blackout kick. But I hit harder with auto attacks with staff, but faster of course with 1h.
    Legendary Necro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    You will eventually realize nobody takes you seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i am no weeb. i am just a connoisseur of fine waifus.