Can't deny buffs whilst in combat

So, I got a weird problem.

During combat I can't cancel buffs, even a swift /cancelaura didn't help me. My first thought would be that Blizz added some protection which is enabled per default (or by fault) but couldn't find anything in the settings.

My second thought would be addons messing stuff up. I'm using PhanxBuffs to customize my buff-frame. But couldn't find an option there either.

So, since I only need a simplistic addon to change the position and size of my buffs/debuffs/enchantments, is there another lightweight addon which let me do this? Just to rule out some addon interference.

Thanks in advance.

I know that the standard Raven (addon) buff frames don't allow right clicking to cancel in combat, but it also provides an "In Combat" bar that does allow it. That's where I have Misdirection and Hand of Protection whitelisted, for example - so I can cancel them quickly when needed. I've never used PhanxBuffs so I don't know how it works in that context.

/cancelaura however should always work, combat or not (unless it's just something that simply can't be removed period). You probably just misspelled it.
    Last edited by Spiralphoenix; 2013-07-12 at 03:07 PM.
    Main - Spirál - Hunter

Maybe... but /cancelaura hand of protection isn't that hard to remember

Cancelaura should always work.

Cancelling buffs in combat was protected in Cataclysm. Ever since then, you need to use various workarounds to do it.

There's also this addon, incidentally written by Phanx:

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/cancelmybuffs

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard didn't like, how people cheesed Anuk'arac Heroic, by cancellig food/fortify/MotW/BoK/flasks/exlirs and other buffs that gave you extra health.

By having the buffs in the beginng of the fight, but dropping it in the last end, made the fight much easier than intended, thus they changed it, so you can't remove buffs during combat.

It seems there are some ways to circumvent this, but if they worl, they will be considered exploits, so I wouldn't recommend doing it..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Blizzard didn't like, how people cheesed Anuk'arac Heroic, by cancellig food/fortify/MotW/BoK/flasks/exlirs and other buffs that gave you extra health.

By having the buffs in the beginng of the fight, but dropping it in the last end, made the fight much easier than intended, thus they changed it, so you can't remove buffs during combat.

It seems there are some ways to circumvent this, but if they worl, they will be considered exploits, so I wouldn't recommend doing it..
    False. You can still cancel any buff that you can remove out of combat, in combat. Some addons just have more trouble doing it now because of some UI/API changes they made which I'm no expert with so I can't explain exactly. But as I mentioned, addons have workarounds for it - Raven gives you an "In Combat" buff bar that lets you cancel anything you assign to that bar while in combat.

/cancelaura BuffName

^ will always work. Go ahead and test it - attack a target dummy while typing it out and cancelling one of your buffs (that can be cancelled normally). It's not an addon, it's a Blizzard provided slash command. So it's allowed and absolutely not an exploit.

And it's a stretch to even say that was cheesing Anub, as it was only a slight difference. Yes it was a good thing to do, but it was hardly going to win you the fight. And it's irrelevant since you can still do it. The whole thing behind clearing boss debuffs to 1 tank fights with hand of protection would probably not be doable even if you couldn't cancel it in combat.
    Main - Spirál - Hunter

It is my understanding that any attempt to filter or sort auras is what breaks the right-click to remove functionality.
    Those which simply skin or relocate the defaults may still work.
    Some addons support creation of a specific frame with pre-determined buffs, and there is one which supports a keybind to remove any buffs from a pre-determined list.
    CancelAura should work regardless unless something is interfering with it.

Deleted

CancelAura should work and is not considered an exploit. If it was the command wouldn't even be in the game in the first place.

Yeah, Fuxie had no idea what he was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    Yeah, Fuxie had no idea what he was talking about.
    Perhaps the context was off, but I do remember an issue with automated buff cancelling having a significant enough of an issue on at least one encounter.
    CancelAura cannot be automated now, and has to be from a manual action such as a macro.

Deleted
    CancelUnitBuff is only a HReq while in combat, though. It can still be automated out of combat.

Perhaps you meant Lich King Heroic, since Anub heroic basically involved letting healing stream totems keep your raid alive. Your max health was completely irrelevant, because you never healed anyone past 1k health except for tanks and penetrating cold targets.

Either way, I've been cancelling Divine Shield, Hand of Protection, and Righteous Fury in combat for quite a long time. It's not an exploit.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    Perhaps you meant Lich King Heroic, since Anub heroic basically involved letting healing stream totems keep your raid alive. Your max health was completely irrelevant, because you never healed anyone past 1k health except for tanks and penetrating cold targets.

Either way, I've been cancelling Divine Shield, Hand of Protection, and Righteous Fury in combat for quite a long time. It's not an exploit.
    Nope.. Anub in ToC. By removing all HP/Stamina buffs, you had less health, meaning Anub healed a lot less in the initial phase until people setteled under 1000 health..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

Nope.. Anub in ToC. By removing all HP/Stamina buffs, you had less health, meaning Anub healed a lot less in the initial phase until people setteled under 1000 health..
    That was an incredibly minor boost and honestly had zero impact if you were healing the fight correctly, not starting the last phase with the raid at 100%. Leeching Swarm healed based on your current health, max health was irrelevent. The limitation was implemented when players (particularly paladins) started getting Shadowmourne. It was more beneficial for them to cancel the stacking buff it had than to let it build up and 'burst' and several addons came out that did this automatically. If you had the weapon, you had to use the addon or you were at a dps loss. Instead of making the weapon buff better, they broke the addon with no concern for years of collateral damage and frustration with UI modifications.
    Last edited by Kaustos; 2013-07-16 at 10:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaustos View Post
    That was an incredibly minor boost and honestly had zero impact if you were healing the fight correctly, not starting the last phase with the raid at 100%. Leeching Swarm healed based on your current health, max health was irrelevent. The limitation was implemented when players (particularly paladins) started getting Shadowmourne. It was more beneficial for them to cancel the stacking buff it had than to let it build up and 'burst' and several addons came out that did this automatically. If you had the weapon, you had to use the addon or you were at a dps loss. Instead of making the weapon buff better, they broke the addon with no concern for years of collateral damage and frustration with UI modifications.
    Current health, yeah..
    But 100% health is a fair bit lower without buffs, that with buffs. And all the health you lost by disabling buffs, translates into 3x as much healing for Anub.
    They difference culd be as big as Anub healing to full health, or only to 40ish %...

Current health, yeah..
    But 100% health is a fair bit lower without buffs, that with buffs. And all the health you lost by disabling buffs, translates into 3x as much healing for Anub.
    They difference culd be as big as Anub healing to full health, or only to 40ish %...
    Ridiculous.

It made a very small difference, and it was very easy to do (there was really no reason not to), but that's a completely outrageous claim.
    Main - Spirál - Hunter