Average Hunter Needs Assistance.

I posted this in the "Fix My DPS" thread but got no love. Just looking for a little guidance as I hate feeling like I'm under performing.

Spec Beastmaster
    Item Level 533 equipped
    Expectations: Ranking or much closer
    Armory Link: //us dot battle dot net/wow/en/character/mugthol/Doozys/advanced
    Worldoflogs Link: //www dot worldoflogs dot com/reports/rt-b378nzfit4cgmmgj/

I for the life of me cannot figure out why my damage is so low. Like last night for example, our twins kill, I'm somewhere around 30k DPS from ranking. This is the first time I've ever done this. I take pride in doing research and figuring it out on my own, but I'm coming up empty. I can't post links, but the addys are there.

My gemming is a bit all over with haste/crit and I feel like I can't get any closer to exact caps with current gear.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks!

You did 181k dps on Heroic Durumu with 533 item level. What is wrong with that? Also, get blink strikes for BM. Increase your item level, and you will increase your dps and get rankings.
    Last edited by Libertarian; 2013-07-12 at 02:10 PM.

I don't have time to look at your logs but your gear is basically fine. I'd say replace those Agi/Crit gems with Agi/Haste since you've got all the RPPM items, but that's a really minor thing and definitely not the issue you're having.

Hopefully someone else can get in to your logs.

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of those logs are cheesed. Pretty much the whole raid is helping them achieve said ranking or they are ignoring some mechanic to boost their dps. I wouldn't beat yourself up over not ranking. your dps isn't bad by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
    You did 181k dps on Heroic Durumu with 533 item level. What is wrong with that? Also, get blink strikes for BM. Increase your item level, and you will increase your dps and get rankings.
    I switched out of BS for our Animus kill, I tank two adds and BS fights with me on add control, as it likes to bounce to the target I'm attacking. I normally run with BS.

I looked at various ranking hunters profiles and saw I was quite a bit behind the curve in terms of gear, but didn't think the disparity would be that significant. I will make the changes to my gems though.

If anyone has the time and understands logs better than I do, I wouldn't mind nitpicking my ability usage, to see if I'm in the ballpark, I've been working on getting better about FF usage, as I think that is/was a big part of my problem.

Thanks for the quick responses! Good to know I'm not too far off.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepinch View Post
    A lot of those logs are cheesed. Pretty much the whole raid is helping them achieve said ranking or they are ignoring some mechanic to boost their dps. I wouldn't beat yourself up over not ranking. your dps isn't bad by any means.
    Without looking at his logs, I'd have to agree with this as well. Generally the only way to get a number 1 rank these days is if you are doing very special things most people would consider cheesing or ''scumbag DPS''. Either your whole raid is working on increasing your personal DPS by letting you do certain things (AoEing, attacking one target and ignoring everything else) or the ranked Hunter is doing things he or she isn't supposed to (keeping dots and/or cleaving to things you're not meant to damage).

If you want some high rankings without actually hurting your raid too much or asking your whole raid to help you get your ranks, try going Marksmanship. It's a spec not many people actually play so you can get some easy ranks that way. I wouldn't expect number 1 ranks but you'll get some nice numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovan View Post
    Without looking at his logs, I'd have to agree with this as well. Generally the only way to get a number 1 rank these days is if you are doing very special things most people would consider cheesing or ''scumbag DPS''. Either your whole raid is working on increasing your personal DPS by letting you do certain things (AoEing, attacking one target and ignoring everything else) or the ranked Hunter is doing things he or she isn't supposed to (keeping dots and/or cleaving to things you're not meant to damage).

If you want some high rankings without actually hurting your raid too much or asking your whole raid to help you get your ranks, try going Marksmanship. It's a spec not many people actually play so you can get some easy ranks that way. I wouldn't expect number 1 ranks but you'll get some nice numbers.
    This guy is right... I'm MM, and I'm not the greatest by any means, but I'm ranking in a couple fights on normal (I know, i know, its just normal). Number 5 currently on one of the fights. I'm ranking easily at 530ilvl.
    But with that being said, its not all about numbers. While numbers need to be good, as long as you are doing the survivability dance to a tee, you are better than about 97% of the community.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kutartwo View Post
    I'm MM (...) Number 5 currently on one of the fights.
    Not to be mean, but wouldn't that be out of, like, 10? Especially if it's normal.

The duration of a fight (so high raid dps) can help with a rank, also I would guess some luck with sick trinket procs could give anyone a top 100 spot, and lastly the tactics, without looking I bet 99% of people ranking on Animus have fight duration ~2 minutes (zerging it).

There's also lots of things that can prevent you from getting ranked, like getting a focused lightning on jin'rokh during bloodlust, hex on horridon, torrents on megaera etc. So the most objective fights I think are Durumu (unless drain life duty), Qon (if you're not slowing dps in dead zone phase) and Lei Shen (although getting that one chain lightning ad on your quarter can help). And Doozys you are at 90% of a rank on Lei Shen in your log, a bit higher ilvl or few more procs and you should rank.

Ranking will be a bit tough with that ilvl and as people have mentioned many of the top spots are cheesed. However it doesnt appear you're getting out all the kill commands you possibly can.

Just a quick look at two logs:

Fight :: Length :: # Kill Commands Used :: # That could be used w/o readiness simply based on fight length
    H Twins :: 10:18 :: 69 :: 103
    N Durumu :: 3:48 :: 24 :: 38
    N Prim :: 4:15 :: 28 :: 42.5

Glaive toss breakdown looked a little better but it still seemed like you werent getting out as many as you possible could during the fights.

Take a look at:
    http://raidbots.com/epeenbot/us/mug'thol/doozys/
    http://raidbots.com/comparebot/

To help get a better understanding
    Last edited by Teucer; 2013-07-12 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozys View Post
    I posted this in the "Fix My DPS" thread but got no love. Just looking for a little guidance as I hate feeling like I'm under performing.

Spec Beastmaster
    Item Level 533 equipped
    Expectations: Ranking or much closer
    Armory Link: //us dot battle dot net/wow/en/character/mugthol/Doozys/advanced
    Worldoflogs Link: //www dot worldoflogs dot com/reports/rt-b378nzfit4cgmmgj/

I for the life of me cannot figure out why my damage is so low. Like last night for example, our twins kill, I'm somewhere around 30k DPS from ranking. This is the first time I've ever done this. I take pride in doing research and figuring it out on my own, but I'm coming up empty. I can't post links, but the addys are there.

My gemming is a bit all over with haste/crit and I feel like I can't get any closer to exact caps with current gear.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks!
    right away I can see you don't use kill command nearly enough, you used it 24 times on a 7 minute 24 second fight, it has a 6 second cooldown, you should have been around atleast 65 times used, if you were on top of things and performing great you could have gotten ~70-75 kill commands

that's a lot of dps lost right there alone.

Also on that fight you had your serpent sting not on the boss for a whole minute, keep that shit up, I know you have to switch to adds in color phase but you can still cobra shot that boss when it's getting low, make weak auras or a focus to see duration of serpent sting on boss when youre not on it.

all this was done analyzing your durumu kill, that's just some most obvious and cruical things that I seen.

your bestial wrath uptime seems fine and everything, remember to make use of bestial wrath and only cast kill commands and arcane shots, and kill shots if in 20% range. make sure you have enough focus before popping bestial wrath and your serpent sting is refreshed atleast over 12 seconds.

Thank you much to the last two posters, I had no idea my Kc usage was so bad, even on add heavy fights there is no excuse. I think that will resolve a lot of my issues. That's Hunter 101 right there, embarrassing.

Also better focus management, I get a little arcane trigger happy. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Bovan View Post

Especially as 10 man when you may not have the best buff uptime, or even some buffs at all compared to different groups fighting the same boss. And especially now because RPPM dominates the tier. The only way for me to get a solid #1 parse is to get lucky with Renataki's because we don't have a warrior to boost my intro burst.

Quote Originally Posted by OswinOswald View Post
    Not to be mean, but wouldn't that be out of, like, 10? Especially if it's normal.

The duration of a fight (so high raid dps) can help with a rank, also I would guess some luck with sick trinket procs could give anyone a top 100 spot, and lastly the tactics, without looking I bet 99% of people ranking on Animus have fight duration ~2 minutes (zerging it).

There's also lots of things that can prevent you from getting ranked, like getting a focused lightning on jin'rokh during bloodlust, hex on horridon, torrents on megaera etc. So the most objective fights I think are Durumu (unless drain life duty), Qon (if you're not slowing dps in dead zone phase) and Lei Shen (although getting that one chain lightning ad on your quarter can help). And Doozys you are at 90% of a rank on Lei Shen in your log, a bit higher ilvl or few more procs and you should rank.
    The point was in reply to a person who mentioned you can rank easily as MM, not to brag. Which is why I said at the beginning I'm not the best.