10+ Year Old Account

72 Hour Ban on the Official Forum

So, earlier this morning, I had finally had it with people trolling the forums and lost my cool. So, I unmasked some profanity and found my way around the filter to tell a half-dozen posters what I really thought about them. I have to say, I feel a LOT better and am excited about rejoining the Forums again on Monday. I blame no one but myself, but it felt REALLY good to tell a few people exactly what I thought of them. Now it seems, there is a thread asking to nominate me as a "Class Representative".

Anyone else ever lose their cool on a fan site and just go off one someone, or a group of people? How did they respond and how much hot water did you end up in?

*Please note: this is not a QQ thread about my ban. I deserved it and no one brought it on me, but me. I am happy to wait the 72 hours before I return. Do the crime, do the time

10+ Year Old Account
    *EDIT* shit this is the star wars game, not WoW

my bad xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    *EDIT* shit this is the star wars game, not WoW

my bad xD
    Happens to me too. I tend to float in and out between SW-TOR and WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    I created a thread back at launch that had 20,000 hits and 600 posts within 30min. It was closed but I had a written apology from the Community Coordinator as a PM.

The thread was closed because it was "Moderator Abuse Awareness" thread. A lot of the starting Moderators on the SWTOR official forums were trigger happy and would infract for even the slightest things- such as using the term 'ignorant' when its not directed towards anyone, etc.

It got so bad that I made a thread where everyone posted for things they were infracted for. It was really funny but they removed it completely because it made them look pretty bad.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    Anyone else ever lose their cool on a fan site and just go off one someone, or a group of people? How did they respond and how much hot water did you end up in?
    I find that losing your cool is unproductive and often results in personal dissatisfaction. Normally I type my rants out and read them over a few times. Normally that is enough for it to be cathartic or to soak in on how idiotic it would be to post.

Better to just intelligently provoke other people to their explosion than to give in to one yourself. Because unfortunately, there are very few ways to 'win' conversations on forums. Regardless of how well thought out, how factually correct, or any other validating characteristic your post is...someone can always counter with the forum equivalent of, "You're wrong and I'm right" until the end of time.

Other than that, all you have is your sense of self righteousness when you choose to walk away. I tell myself plenty of times "Hmpph...I totally owned that moron", knowing full well that they are thinking the same thing.

Summary: Wise man say, "Better to light firecracker and run away than to stand in one place and blow yourself up".

Edit: This game has an annoying habit of keeping me next to the explosion for far too long, but Zen is an art of practiced perfection. It doesn't happen instantly.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    That's awesome I would have loved to have read it. Yeah, last Friday, I was getting ready to move into the new house, start a new position with the same company I have been with, and had been having a rough day in general to add to all the stress. One troll too many just rubbed me the wrong way and I called them all out and started swearing at each of them like R. Lee Emerey in Full Metal Jacket. It got pretty bad. But, then... it escalated and I pretty much told BW and their trolls to go f themselves. Felt good actually. Got it all out of my system.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Summary: Wise man say, "Better to light firecracker and run away than to stand in one place and blow yourself up".

Edit: This game has an annoying habit of keeping me next to the explosion for far too long, but Zen is an art of practiced perfection. It doesn't happen instantly.
    Well said. Normally I am a cool cucumber and smile as others blow up around me. But that day, I'd just taken on way too much in my real world and my chat world, and it took one small troll to topple the mountain of frustration.

Deleted
    Have never resorted to swearing and have only ever had one infraction in over 15 years of forum dwelling (was for an oversized sig on this very site, no warning and i'm still bitter about it ).

Have often engaged in 'aggressive banter' though.