Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Idrinkwhiterussians View Post
    My stance is simply this:

There are no people that are any different from you or I. All people should have the same rights no matter what gender, race, sexual orientation or whatever else you want to come up with. The only time I have a problem with you is if you are a scab to society. A leech if you will.

Lets forget about labels for people. Lets just think about being proper to others and giving them respect (when deserved and not trampled on). There is no reason to be an asshole to someone because they are "different" from you.
    Well said - this is exactly how I feel too. I think people should be judged based on their actions, not their race/religion or whatever other possible things you can think of. People are people. I do feel bad for those who have had bad experiences because of this, it seems completely undeserving.

Honestly, I see much of this as just being a problem of seeing pride in one situation as being worthwhile, and pride in another situation as being horrible.

I have to admit, I'm a bit nervous about what's going to happen soon too, mostly because of how cultures can clash when they're mixed together and advocated by people who place what I would consider to be far too much importance on culture and race.

When I was younger, I was outraged (and still am, to an extent) that there were many Asian Student Groups, Black Student Groups, and even Multiracial student groups at my school. None of those were exclusive, of course: I would've done much more than I ended up doing if they were. But they were groups meant to advocate the good traits of these particular ethnic groups, and to further the goals of the people in those groups. Annoyed that there was no student group for "white" people, I asked if I could begin one and was told no. I spent an hour and a half arguing with the dean of my school, explaining how many people could express their ethnicities even though they are white, and that there's not simply one group of "white" people. I also explained that by permitting the advocacy of these other groups, but not permitting a group for "white" people to form, she was being racist towards white students and unjustly putting them down in the name of avoiding looking like a racist.

She ended up caving on all those things, but I stopped arguing when she made the point that not many people would likely want to join a non-racist white advocacy group anyways. She was correct: but her being correct saddened me, as it showed that many people who were in the majority were not as vocal about their culture, and as a result were being left behind simply because others were being more vocal about their culture.

There is something messed up with race and culture. And affiliating yourself with a group of people simply because you all "share a title" or have a common ethnicity is silly.

We just need to do away with the whole system and be people.
    Last edited by Ohgodspiders; 2013-07-12 at 09:48 PM. Reason: It was the dean, not superintendent

About the only thing to do is to disregard the labels. I'm sure people have a billion labels of me just inferring from the way that I speak over the internet to my choices of forum avatars.

Labels only have power when humans give them that power. The kids growing up should be themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ewhenn View Post
    Using proper grammar and speaking with clarity isn't "white" or "black", it's displaying your intelligence. Ignore anyone (black, white, or otherwise) that tells you differently.
    AAVE isn't really any more or less "proper" than any other English variant.

"I'm after buying that valour cape I wanted" and "Me I'm going downtown" are grammatically correct phases, just not in your variant of English.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    AAVE isn't really any more or less "proper" than any other English variant.

"I'm after buying that valour cape I wanted" and "Me I'm going downtown" are grammatically correct phases, just not in your variant of English.
    Yes, except I would give the latter an F for spelling if you turned it in on a paper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigzoman20 View Post

What do you guys think?
    I'd look at things from a 20 year perspective.

Reality is, most of the people you deal with right now... with a few close personal friends as exceptions, are meaningless to your life. If some hoods in high school or college want to demean you because you don't act like a brother.. in 20 years you aren't going to give a shit what they thought. Same goes for those expecting the converse behavior...
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivionx View Post
    I'd look at things from a 20 year perspective.

Reality is, most of the people you deal with right now... with a few close personal friends as exceptions, are meaningless to your life. If some hoods in high school or college want to demean you because you don't act like a brother.. in 20 years you aren't going to give a shit what they thought. Same goes for those expecting the converse behavior...
    Interracial children won't have the level of maturity to think like that and this behavior is going to be very bad for them. Also, adults of various races also have this expectation.

i grew up with many mixed friends and none of them received any sort of ridicule or expectations by other classmates to walk, talk, etc a certain way. everyone in my local area shared the same cultural identity besides a few families that recently immigrated from various countries. op, your experiences are not everyone's experiences. i'm sorry you grew up having to deal with white vs black expectations, but those expectations, at least where i live, are nonexistent.

i must have grown up in a pretty ok area for this stuff. only rarely have i ever seen a couple talked about. one of my redneck 'friends' said something about his ex, who is mostly native american believe it or not, dating a mexican guy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Operating under the assumption that the parents are the largest influence on any given child (as they should be), any such situation can be avoided by the parents doing two things.

First thing; figure out what aspects from whatever cultures they want to instill within the child (hopefully by analyzing what cultural traits are detrimental and which are advantageous, not simply by which traits they were raised under) and actually stick to instilling those values, worldviews, etc. within the child. If parents are pulling their child in different directions, they have not only failed to try and avoid the problem, they are its primary cause and are actively causing the child unneeded stress.

Second thing; raise the kid to know that in general, other people are idiots whose opinions, expectations, and values shouldn’t be trusted without cause to lessen the effect of external and generally meaningless expectations of childhood relations. Raising a child to know that what others think has no inherent value (not always has no value, just has no automatic value simply because they think it) helps avoid this whole issue.

The issue you raise will occur, but it will only normally occur when the parents fail (like most issues). It is their responsibility to raise their child, and they have it within their power to not allow the situation to arise.
    Last edited by DEATHETERNAL; 2013-07-13 at 04:40 AM.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8