Poll: WHAT IS ED. SNOWDEN?

Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm surprised he is still alive. Other than that I don't really care.

I wouldn't call him a hero. I believe "whistle blower" is an apt term for what I believe he is.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war. - George Santayana
    Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. - George Santayana

Deleted
    i dont even know who Edward Snowden is, someone that can explain? might have missed something?

10+ Year Old Account
    He's not really a hero, he hasn't saved anybody, but neither is he a traitor. This guy risked a whole lot to get the truth out (which most of us already knew but still...) for us and gave a big middle finger to the govt. and now he's all over the world so our scumbag govt. doesn't catch him. Unfortunately though he will be caught eventually, he can't run forever. The world is only so big. I respect this guy a lot for doing something like this so I hope he can keep evading the US govt. It's really maddening that our govt. does stuff like this. They can spy on us like it's no problem but when someone releases their secrets to the public it becomes a crime. Such a stupid world we live in.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2013-07-12 at 08:05 PM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Turns out he can be both. Without knowing his motivation for doing it I surely wouldn't call him a hero though.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, the info he had could of been used heroically in some sort but since he didn't.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    I don't particularly like the brand "Hero", but I suppose it's that for me because I don't think he's a traitor.

Bradley Manning is a traitor.

I don't think he's either. He's not a traitor in my book because he didn't steal secrets to sell to a foreign power. But he is also not a hero, because all he's done is make it that much harder for the intelligence community to do their job, protecting the interests of our country and its citizens. He's a shitty government employee who thinks he's some kind of hero, and sadly he'll pay dearly if he's ever caught, because examples have to be made lest this problem get worse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Look I'm not fond of the spying shit but just cause the government is ok with it doesn't mean the people are.
    Very good.
    And now, please tell me why a system of government, that does stuff the majority of it's underlings don't agree with is called "democratic".

To be honest, I'm not even sure if he is a traitor either, since that is a loaded word, and unlike Edward Snowden I actually respect what the constitution says (as opposed to what I wish it says, as he does, every time he calls NSA spying unconstitutional, which it isn't).

The bar for "treason" is so very high and so explicitly defined (again, created in the Constitution), that it's likely well beyond what he is capable of pulling off.

He broke a mountain of laws. And he's an utter imbicile who will spend the rest of his crap life in a small Venezuelan apartment monitor by internal security, or a small Russian apartment monitored by internal security, or in a small American prison cell. Traitor? Let's save that word for actual traitors. Let's call Edward Snowden what he is: a fugitive accused of serious crimes who left the country to evade legal prosecution for those crimes. He is an accused criminal on the lam, no different from people who flee the country because they believe that Federal Income Tax is unconstitutional and they shouldn't have to pay it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by James Tiberius Kirk View Post
    Bradley Manning is a traitor.
    Bradley Manning may be the only member of the human race more fucked than Edward Snowden at the present.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who is Edward Snowden?

Bloodsail Admiral Lethey Alexandros's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    He is the exact same calibur of man who founded this country. The type of person who stands up and says enough is enough in the face of a government over stepping its control and boundries.

For that, I call him not a hero but a patriot in the orignal sense of the word.

he is who he is. Every government needs checks and balances, and lately, my government just doesn't seem to have any. We need hundreds of people just like him.

personally i'm okay with him giving up the information on U.S. spying on MURICA .. but I don't like how he also gave up information about spying on other countries.

they spy on us just as much. I'ts the name of the game and it's always been like that forever.

Deleted
    I have no time or sympathy for traitors, no matter what their intentions, may I remind you who Dante says the deepest level of hell is reserved for?

Quote Originally Posted by Rivyr View Post
    He is the exact same calibur of man who founded this country. The type of person who stands up and says enough is enough in the face of a government over stepping its control and boundries.

For that, I call him not a hero but a patriot in the orignal sense of the word.
    A patriot would have stuck around and voiced his opinion for change here within the U.S. and used the system to enact change.

I didn't see James Madison or Benjamin Franklin move to France and claim asylum when they disagreed with the British Stamp tax.

Deleted
    He did the right thing and, yes, he's a hero. Sadly what he did was obviously illegal as far as the government is concerned.

Deleted
    What I find weird people say all the spying is illegal... well maybe in the US, but sincerely doubt that all the spying that happened in the other countries is legal THERE. I suspect there are even countries you'd still be shot for it actually...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    A patriot would have stuck around and voiced his opinion for change here within the U.S. and used the system to enact change.

I didn't see James Madison or Benjamin Franklin move to France and claim asylum when they disagreed with the British Stamp tax.
    Agreed, if he had any convictions and backbone he would stay and face the courts and media.