Thread: Wait, what?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Veyne View Post
    And yet, there are tooooons of "physical" sports, performed by "athletes" that rely primarily on hand-eye coordination, and usually much more so than other skills.

I have no argument on the overarcing subject of this thread, I just wanted to call this line out.

- - - Updated - - -

Dudebro's wearing Emporio Armani underwear. I want to be a professional gamer now.

For reference: http://www.armani.com/us/emporioarma...derwear/boxers

That shit can be up to $60 for a single pair!
    All korean progamers do go to the gym and train, the whole "IM FAT IM PRO" idea most people have is somewhat worrying, i dont get where you get the idea from... maybe previous personal experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by FTAzai View Post
    What's the problem with calling them professional athletes?
    Same reason you don't call Poker players athletes or monopoly players for athletes...
    They're professional gamers/players but the activity they're in is in no way "athletic", but if you read the article the US goverment accepted them as "athletes" so they could get visas to enter the US for tournaments. That's the only reason, not because the US goverment actually thinks they're sportsmen of any sort...

Yeah professional gamers are dedicated and have to work on what their skill is but it's hardly an activity that can be considered athletic.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol View Post
    Same reason you don't call Poker players athletes or monopoly players for athletes...
    They're professional gamers/players but the activity they're in is in no way "athletic", but if you read the article the US goverment accepted them as "athletes" so they could get visas to enter the US for tournaments. That's the only reason, not because the US goverment actually thinks they're sportsmen of any sort...

Yeah professional gamers are dedicated and have to work on what their skill is but it's hardly an activity that can be considered athletic.
    It's also used and accepted as a synonym for sportsman though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dethox View Post
    You must be joking....right? Putting a lot of time into something =/= "training hard like athletes"
    When was the last time you've done a serious workout or sport?

Anything that does not burn calories or build up structural strength is not a sport in my eyes. Soon we will call "sitting on our asses all day long" a sport in which people "pour their heart and soul into".
    Pft...the nerve...
    What a load of bullshit you have written here. Running is classed as a sport and guess what, it fucking isn't, it's a survival tactic, just like swimming. Everyone can run (bar those that don't have the use of their legs, and even then the paralympians do a pretty fucking good job at it), yet the mens 100m is looked at as the pinnacle of the olympics. I'd be more entertained watching professional sc2 players than watching a 9.5 second race.

Also, the guys who do this stuff at a professional level actually do keep quite fit as you have more energy when you are fit than when you're an unfit fat tub of lard.

Very glad they were given Visas to compete and hope this spans to more games, countries. A big step in recognizing these types of players as more than just gamers.

However the wording does need to change as it conflicts with the definition of "athlete". There's e-sports and theres athletic sports (and other kind of sports as well). They still are pros, but in the video gaming scene; training often, generating fans, brand/marketing, competing, etc. similar to pro-athletes.

I like how every single physical sport is "super hard" and "badass", while mental sports like LoL is just "sitting on your ass".

It really just goes to show how ignorant or biased a lot of people are about things.
    Even worse when they are in a gaming community forum...imagine the general public.
    Last edited by kail; 2013-07-13 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    All korean progamers do go to the gym and train, the whole "IM FAT IM PRO" idea most people have is somewhat worrying, i dont get where you get the idea from... maybe previous personal experiences?
    Did you misquote me? Because I don't think your response had anything to do with your reply. All I said is there are a lot of sports out their in which hand-eye coordination plays a huge role.

And then I was jealous of the guy in the picture because he could afford $60 underwears. =(

- - - Updated - - -

And also, you people are getting too worked up over it.

From what I gather it was simply a technicality in the law. I doubt anyone would ever call them athletes seriously, they simply had to use the term to allow for the same legal benefits foreign athletes that play for American sports teams have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Deleted
    Kinect players going pro athlete!

Huehuehuehue

Good step forward for them, and I totally agree with it.

They might not be a physical athlete, but they are an athlete of the mind.

Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post

Already a pro.
    lol. is that supposed to be impressive? you do realize everyone has a 6pack and with low BF (which is all that kid has going for him), you can easily see every 6pack. aside from low BF, the kid has absolutely no mass whatsoever.

id be shocked if people start calling gamers 'athletes'
    No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. – Socrates

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tangosmango View Post
    lol. is that supposed to be impressive? you do realize everyone has a 6pack and with low BF (which is all that kid has going for him), you can easily see every 6pack. aside from low BF, the kid has absolutely no mass whatsoever.

id be shocked if people start calling gamers 'athletes'
    Then be shocked, they do train hard and are the best at what they do, 0.1%~ of LoL's population (diamond is already 0.5%, getting to be a proplayer is way lower)

Quote Originally Posted by FTAzai View Post
    What's the problem with calling them professional athletes?
    Because by correlation that makes all of us amateur athletes.... think about that for a little while...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thwart View Post
    Because by correlation that makes all of us amateur athletes.... think about that for a little while...
    No it doesn't... Do you compete in esports tournaments? Because I sure as hell don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Thwart View Post
    If you go shoot hoops at the local court that doesn't make you an amateur athlete.

People are taking this way too personal/serious. It's not that big of a deal and language isn't static, now the definition of athlete is expanded.

10+ Year Old Account
    My friends told me this, honestly..as a sports fan AND a gamer.

It's wrong. Sports is skill and physical excretion.

First off, honestly? ..I can give you a list of games that require alot more skill, but aren't considered sports.

Second, ..Were's the physical excretion? clicking and pointing?

It's an e-sport, it's a game. They're not physical athletes therefore it's an E-Sport not a SPORT. ...

Besides, The governemnt should focus more about their own problems than whether LoL is a sport or not.

HOWEVER! ..they should remain E-SPORTS and get their visas and exclusive rights since they do work at a professional level, thus I hope this reaches out to StarCraft, Pokemon, Street fighter, warcraft, etc etc. And other professional games.
    Last edited by Bloodege-NUFC; 2013-07-13 at 10:07 PM.

I don't have an issue with it, but I think it pretty much guarantees that foreigners (i.e. Koreans) will win all the US gaming tournaments now. GG

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YuneKirby View Post
    I don't have an issue with it, but I think it pretty much guarantees that foreigners (i.e. Koreans) will win all the US gaming tournaments now. GG

This has been going on with the Fighting game community since like..EVO 2001 (No idea about the visa's) where all the Japanese usually win all the tournaments with one USA player winning there and maybe 1 european winning there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol View Post

Thank you, ..Common sense.

15+ Year Old Account
    Good for them being able to get a VISA more easily

For those who say that the US and Europe will now lose every tournament, isnt that a sign that the US and Europe should get their shit together and practice more?
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Deleted
    Perhaps it was already said, but isn't the main reason because of tax issues? plain and simple. money.