Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    If you do random BGs a lot, you'll invariably run into ... "FFS, get out of the middle. Get on EFC, or help FC."

Translation: You're an incompetent noob running around in the middle of Warsong Gulch. Please go kill the enemy flag carrier, or come help defend our flag carrier, as your flailing around in between is crippling our chances to win this battleground.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Cleave" used to be used in comps to refer to it having a warrior cause of their ability to do so. It was further adopted by other comps as other classes gained similar abilities. Now seems just everything uses it. Usually 2 Damage dealers 1 healer or 3 Damage early on cause it was IMBA. (theres a fun one :P)

I know what PUG means. But I have no idea what it stands for or how it came about.

Public Ugly Guy?
    Also thanks to this thread I know what IIRC means so thanks.
    I'M A DRAENEI THIS EXPAC APPARENTLY
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    You know what happened when i started playing in TBC in 2.1 and rolled ret as my first char? Lol ret , Lol ret , Lol ret , Lol ret You know what i was saying in a few months? Lol hows kara? Then I cleared BT/SW while they followed behind me sniffing my gloriously rosey turds.

10+ Year Old Account
    AF = Alliance Faggots

Lingo from my old server, Dethecus.

I still refer to any Alliance as AF to this day ;_;

10+ Year Old Account
    Mine is most likely..

DPS Vs. DD - I understand the "Damage Per Second" and "Damage Dealer". But saying "DD" just sounds so wrong, and I admit, when seeing it on Trade, DD still puts me in the zone of "I don't want this person because thosee two letters annoy me". I know it may be harsh, some say they've used it forever. I've just not really seen it much used until Cataclysm. (Yes, I have seen it in other games).

Else, it's no a WoW lingo I think. But... What the hell is it with some saying, "TTTT"? *rubs beard* I've tried to find out, but still unsure.

Old "lingo" from my early raiding days:
    Meatshield = Tank (Duh, it's not new, all knows that ^^)
    Bait = Rogue or Hunter
    AEH = AoE Healer
    RDPS = Ranged DPS (unless hunter, then bait (And many knows that too, I guess. Heh))
    Last edited by Lochton; 2013-07-15 at 12:44 AM.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Drknife View Post
    I know what PUG means. But I have no idea what it stands for or how it came about.

Public Ugly Guy?
    Pick Up Group, originated from parties where a few guild mates would "pick up" the last spot or two for their party/raid.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

Quote Originally Posted by Taira View Post
    I don't know why people picked up on HC when a simple H to denote Heroic will suffice. H:ToT, where the colon is optional and can be replaced with a space. I haven't wasted any frustration on it because my guild has just begun progression on N Lei Shen, and no one pugs heroic raids on my server. Further, no one pugs 5-man heroics outside of the dungeon finder, so Heroic just isn't in chat all that much.
    I see HC as HardCore, back from Ulduar days where you did bosses the 'hard way' not on heroic.
    But yeah ppl use it as heroic now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drknife View Post

Public Ugly Guy?
    It means Pick Up Group. Somewhere along the line it came to mean a random group-member as well. Like you could say either "this PUG fails" referring to the whole group, or you could say "Damn PUG! Get out of the fire!" referring to a single person.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunareste View Post
    AF = Alliance Faggots

Lingo from my old server, Dethecus.
    Do we really need to learn such juvenile abbreviations?

...you HF.

Quote Originally Posted by Ximinez View Post
    "Cleave" used to be used in comps to refer to it having a warrior cause of their ability to do so. It was further adopted by other comps as other classes gained similar abilities.
    Cleave is just using raw damage to kill someone, rather than a particular CC chain or mana drains

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    Haha, I remember joining a DM pug on my paladin at lvl 18 back in Vanilla. They didn't notice I was lvl 18 until they asked why I was at Deadmines instead of Dire Maul..
    Lol I was gonna mention that. I guess that's why people took to calling it VC instead. But I'm pretty sure Deadmines is older than Dire Maul so it should have been Dire Maul with the different abbreviation.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Lol I was gonna mention that. I guess that's why people took to calling it VC instead. But I'm pretty sure Deadmines is older than Dire Maul so it should have been Dire Maul with the different abbreviation.
    Experienced that as well, but back in those days we found a simple solution. DM = Deadmines and Dire = Dire Maul
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

TBH I never understood the point of changing the Deadmines abbreviation. No one really ever did a full run of Dire Maul, so what were they going to confuse it with, Deadmines East? That's if you could even find a group for a wing of Dire Maul other than North, which was called "Tribute Run" and nothing to do with the letters D or M.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

Quote Originally Posted by pucGG View Post
    or FML typo... probably FML type
    Maybe a more Shakespearian rendition of FML. Fuck this Life of Mine!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I didn't know how the word "gank" came about until there was a post i believe by ghostcrawler a while back that kindly defined it as a sort of abbreviated "guaranteed kill"

Quote Originally Posted by Jinivus View Post
    Cleave is just using raw damage to kill someone, rather than a particular CC chain or mana drains
    It is now a pretty much meaningless term. Although it has contributed some of the most hilarious terms to the game's lexicon, eg Mongolian Earthworm Cleave.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Herald of the Titans Murderdoll's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Arena comps always confuse me. I havent PVPed seriously since WotLK so I am out of the loop, but teams like KFC and shit like that I never understood.

Quote Originally Posted by Goremonger View Post
    "Frost mages aren't OP"

Like seriously what does that mean?
    OP = over powered.

I didn't know what FML stood for for a long time... the best I could come up with was "Fail more, looser"

Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I never understood why people called their alts or other characters 'toons'.

Also, Twinks. Like, what? Why?
    I always heard twink as a character you give OP gear to so they can be stronger than a new character at the same level would be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcanimus View Post
    I've always referred to Magister's Terrace as MGT, ever since 2.4.
    Magister's Terrace was always called Mr. T on my realm. "LFG Mr. T heroic "
    Aye mate