Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Books] Best fighters in ASOIF (Game of Thrones) Novels *Spoilers*

I figured I'd start a fun thread about fighters, who would you all consider to be the best fighters in each kingdom that are currently alive (as of book 5)

Iron Island: Victarion Greyjoy
    Dorne: Gerold Dayne (Dark Star) and Areo Hotah
    The North: Great John Umber
    Stormlands: Stannis? (can't really think of any warriors that stand out)
    The Vale: Yohn Royce
    The Reach: Loras Tyrell, Garlen Tyrell, Randal Tarley
    The Riverlands: Blackfish, Jason Mallister
    Westerlands: Drawing blanks here obviously it was Mountain and Hound before they died. (i don't count Jaimie since he is in the Kingsguard)

Outside the 7 Kingdoms: Syriel Forell, Jaquen Hagar, Ser Barristan, Jorah Mormount, Grey Worm, Daario Nahares, Tormound Giantsbane and Maynce Rayder.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will always be Team Barristan. I hope GRRM gets time to maybe release prequels someday so we can see how much of a true badass he is.

There are still some types of matches I am REALLY looking forward to. Possible Mountain vs Sandor Clegane for Cersei's tournament (assuming Qyburn's creation is Frankenclegane and the Gravekeeper was Sandor). I do want to Daario die as well in an epic swordfight as the books really build him up to be a daring fighter.

Syrio all the way. The only other swordsman I really care about is Barristan, or maybe that "Sword of Morning" guy who is already dead. The rest... meh, they think they're better than they really are.

EDIT: it should be noted that my opinion is totally biased by who I personally think could stand up to Inigo Montoya in a rapier or saber duel. Or at least who would be the most badass doing so.

The Hound didn't die.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    The Hound didn't die.
    We are 99% certain he isn't dead that is

Hey, same as Jon Snow.....

This list is basically Barristan Selmy.

Everyone else is likely worse. The ones who are as good as Selmy are either wounded, crippled or dead.

Also note that being a capable commander isn't the same thing as being a great swordsman. Victarion is skilled but his prowess is mainly noted for his naval skills. Is he a better fighter than Dagmar Cleftjaw, Qarl the Maid or even Euron?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    This list is basically Barristan Selmy.

Everyone else is likely worse. The ones who are as good as Selmy are either wounded, crippled or dead.

Also note that being a capable commander isn't the same thing as being a great swordsman. Victarion is skilled but his prowess is mainly noted for his naval skills. Is he a better fighter than Dagmar Cleftjaw, Qarl the Maid or even Euron?
    I agree with you on Barristan thats why I listed by each kingdom , but I think Selmy is unmatched in skill at this moment the only thing holding him back is his age, I also forgot to mention strong Belwas who seems like a great fighter too. As far as Victarian goes I pick him because he has definatly shown a great deal of prowess in battle however the main reason I picked him was because after his hand was healed it seemed to be super strong after that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Strong Belwas I think is just underestimated a lot which allows him an advantage. He is more agile than opponents think which is always their downfall. Victarion is a good fighter and one of the series best IMO. If you put him against an old Barristan then it could be a fairly even fight. As long as Victarion isn't cocky.

Quote Originally Posted by LocNess View Post
    Strong Belwas I think is just underestimated a lot which allows him an advantage. He is more agile than opponents think which is always their downfall. Victarion is a good fighter and one of the series best IMO. If you put him against an old Barristan then it could be a fairly even fight. As long as Victarion isn't cocky.
    I agree about Belwas he seems very legit. Victarian is one of my favorite characters even though the is Ironborne and believes in "the old way" he does seem to have a sense of honor and seems pretty fair, he seems to be very well respected. But I agree I think he would be an even match for Barristan cause of his burnt arm and Barristans age, although from the looks of it they will probably be fighting together in the next book which is going to be awesome watching the ironborne fighting alongside Barristan and the Unsullied.

Isn't Belwas pretty much f*cked these days? I don't remember much about the ending of book 5 but I remember he was sickly as heck because of all those poisoned bugs he ate.

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Isn't Belwas pretty much f*cked these days? I don't remember much about the ending of book 5 but I remember he was sickly as heck because of all those poisoned bugs he ate.
    He recovered, he did lose allot of weight but I think he is ok now, if I remember correctly he wanted to go out and fight shortly after.

Gotta stick with Team Barristan

Well. My vote goes to Bronn. He's murdered everyone who's gotten in his way or that he's been told to kill. There doesn't seem to be anybody in the realm that actually intimidates him, if there's a profit involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Well. My vote goes to Bronn. He's murdered everyone who's gotten in his way or that he's been told to kill. There doesn't seem to be anybody in the realm that actually intimidates him, if there's a profit involved.
    Nah. Remember when Tyrion needed a champ? Bronn wouldn't do it; he knew he'd be screwed. Bronn was intimidated by the Mountain, which is why the Viper took his place.

Nah. Remember when Tyrion needed a champ? Bronn wouldn't do it; he knew he'd be screwed. Bronn was intimidated by the Mountain, which is why the Viper took his place.
    Even then, he fancied himself as being able to kill Gregor, but he decided he'd prefer to be 'poking' Lollys instead. He was more concerned about losing Stokeworth if he helped Tyrion, as it was Cersei who offered the land and its titles to him. Tyrion simply couldn't offer him enough to do it.

Addendum:

That just made me realise there was actually some serious foreshadowing in what Bronn says; "...Get him off his feet somehow. When they're flat on their backs it don't matter how tall they are. Even so, it's chancy. One misstep and I'm dead." : Not being careful at that point in the fight is exactly what gets Oberyn killed.
    Last edited by Shinzai; 2013-07-16 at 12:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    I didn't even think of Bronn, I agree he's certainly up there. He def wasn't scared of Gregor he just felt that the risk was not worth the reward which he was right about but I think he could hold his own against anybody not just because of his skill and speed but mainly because of his cunning and not really caring about fighting honorably.

But I think universally Barristan is considered the top dog despite his age. Which gets me thinking how great of a fighter Arthur Dayne must have been since he was considered the deadliest of Aeyrs Kingsguard which Barristan was a part of and in his prime.

Deleted
    Sandor Clegane.

Or zombie frankenstein Gregor Clegane.

God I hope Sandor isn't dead and gets his revenge. That's my one wish for the next books.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebane View Post
    Sandor Clegane.

God I hope Sandor isn't dead and gets his revenge. That's my one wish for the next books.
    I'd prefer him to stay the quiet gravedigger he's become. Fitting end for a tired life, imo. Loved the way he "died".

Quote Originally Posted by Firebane View Post
    Sandor Clegane.

Bugger Frankengregor!
    I really wish we got to see Sandor vs Gregor even Jaime Lannister alluded that Sandor may be the deadlier fighter because he was still very large but much quicker.

"This man will kill all."

Jaquen H'ghar or just the Faceless Men. Syrio was one too I believe.