Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deads0ng View Post
    He thinks his elite armor makes him a special little snow flake.

In all honesty if someone truly believe they are some sort of special, unique badass because they farmed some elite shit, it's quite sad.
    If Blizzard started selling challenge mode gear (as an example) I think people have the right to be pissed because they worked their ass off for that and are proud of it. There is nothing "sad" about being proud of what you have obtained. Game or not, it is an achievement that majority of the playerbase might not be able to get.

Quote Originally Posted by koawinter View Post
    I see where he is coming from though. It's just going to continue.

Pets, mounts, then transmog gear, then xp boosts, then vanity items, then gear. It's just the trend, and that's what he's saying.
    Not really. It's extremely easy to establish a line where products will never ever contain any statistical power. Many many MANY games have done it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone says its all fine now. How happy will you be when you can buy the latest teir sets from the cash shop? because that is where it will end up.
    Aye mate

Pets, mounts, then transmog gear, then xp boosts, then vanity items, then gear. It's just the trend, and that's what he's saying.
    Exactly my points. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Orly View Post
    Yeah? Then do me a favor, and petition blizz to add whole sets of armor for the cash shop and just drop the whole elite gear/challenge-mode set charade, if you are so ok with it. I'd be more than happy to just buy instead of struggling for it, so far I have none of those sets.
    Or we can look at what Blizzard has actually done and see that when they do add complete sets of cosmetic armor to the shop, which I'm sure they will, that's not going to stop them from still adding more to the game.

Because it didn't stop them when they sold pets or mounts.

10+ Year Old Account

There's a big jump involved: so far, nothing on the shop will have tangible boosts in player power. XP boosts aren't any different from heirlooms, minus the stats, and judging from what's been seen with the whole Korean/Chinese internet cafe sub revamp, it may not even make it out of those markets. Pets, mounts, vanity items, and transmog gear are all show no go, mechanically--nothing they offer either cannot be obtained easier for free (vendor mounts/pets, pet battle captures, old raid fun runs) or provide a clear-cut advantage (you don't do more DPS by looking smashing and that seesaw isn't going to up your mitigation).

If, if they start putting actual statted gear on the store, I'll be willing to cry foul. Until then, it's a whole lot of pizazz without any real substance behind it, for people who like pretty mounts, pretty companions, and pretty armor.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Yeah? Then do me a favor, and petition blizz to add whole sets of armor for the cash shop and just drop the whole elite gear/challenge-mode set charade, if you are so ok with it. I'd be more than happy to just buy instead of struggling for it, so far I have none of those sets.
    Cool story.

That is not what is happening, find a better argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    Everyone says its all fine now. How happy will you be when you can buy the latest teir sets from the cash shop? because that is where it will end up.
    This is just hilariously negative with no rational thought behind it whatsoever. Oh you people.

Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    Not really. It's extremely easy to establish a line where products will never ever contain any statistical power. Many many MANY games have done it.
    But WoW already has a shady line because stuff that contains ZERO power is already in game, for the same reason it's in the game shop: looks. The difference? For one you have to play the game, and for the other you have to whip your credit card.

15+ Year Old Account
    Challenge-mode,lv 60 pvp and elite pvp sets of gear don't help you in any way shape or form either, yet they exist. And you have to work for them, meaning you have to spend time in game, time you have to pay for. Would it be ok for you if, say....we just cut a shortcut thru all that and just put those sets at the shop? Because that's what they are doing now.
    It's vanity items and different ways to get them.

I mean, please, correct me if I'm wrong since it has been a very long and very tiring work week, but they are are not offering the ability to buy, say the Challenge mode transmogs sets, are they?

These are items that do not exist in game, they are not offering a "shortcut" to the items, since these items technically do not exist outside of the store. Even if they were offering a shortcut to them, the point still remains, these items offer nothing but a visual modification. No stats, no set bonuses, no. Purely aesthetic.

Does "increased aesthetic" come into play when fighting against a raid boss? Does it come into play when applying to a raiding guild? Does it come into play when it comes into getting into high end Arena teams/RBS? Does aesthetics improve your performance in PvE/PvP?

No?

Then it really does not matter in the end.

As long as it does not begin to influence PvE/PvP and endgame, or if they don't allow you to undermine, say Challenge Modes (effectively buying it) it really does not matter in the long run.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

I haven't been on the wow part of MMO champion for a while, but damn it seems like it's just hardcore blizzard fanboys left judging by this thread. If this was any other mmo, people would complain about it greatly, not defend it.

Many f2p mmo's have cheaper cosmetic items than these that look much better. It's a good thing these ones look so horrible that you'd look like an idiot for wearing them, but the idea of making the most attractive items available only through additional costs outside of the already expensive subscription is just a rip off. Unfortunately the wow fanbase has not exactly gotten smarter over the years, so Blizzard can easily get away with something like this, and earn a ton of money on it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by deads0ng View Post
    Cool story.

That is not what is happening, find a better argument.
    The only difference is the fact that it's just a helm instead of a whole set, and that makes you say it's not happening? Wow. (no pun intended)

Quote Originally Posted by Celticmoon View Post
    That's what I don't get. If YOU know that you earned your sets, then that self satisfaction should be enough. Are they afraid that people won't recognize that they toughed it out and farmed the items vs. just buying them?

Knowing that you farmed them yourself should be all you need.
    Self satisfaction is all you should need, yes, especially when you consider that most people are going to think you're a chump if you actually walk around flaunting your gear. It's fine to be happy or prideful about something but the second you think that you're somehow cooler than another person you just look like a fool.

The fact of the matter is, it's cosmetic stuff. That's it. No effect on gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    Yes, but none with the staying power of WoW.

10+ Year Old Account

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope

I know people hate keeping on hearing that, but claiming that an entity doing something on one side of a line (in this case, stuff that doesn't allow players with money to be as powerful as more skilled players who don't buy) will inevitably lead to that entity doing something on the other side of the line is classic slippery slope.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

The only difference is the fact that it's just a helm instead of a whole set, and that makes you say it's not happening? Wow. (no pun intended)
    What? I don't care if it's a whole set. If they want to add a full set, great. It still has absolutely no bearing on gameplay at all and comes down on it's most basic level to a simple choice. And the fact that you're not special if you farmed some epic gear in game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krekko View Post
    It's vanity items and different ways to get them.

I mean, please, correct me if I'm wrong since it has been a very long and very tiring work week, but they are are not offering the ability to buy, say the Challenge mode transmogs sets, are they?

These are items that do not exist in game, they are not offering a "shortcut" to the items, since these items technically do not exist outside of the store. Even if they were offering a shortcut to them, the point still remains, these items offer nothing but a visual modification. No stats, no set bonuses, no. Purely aesthetic.

Does "increased aesthetic" come into play when fighting against a raid boss? Does it come into play when applying to a raiding guild? Does it come into play when it comes into getting into high end Arena teams/RBS? Does aesthetics improve your performance in PvE/PvP?

No?

Then it really does not matter in the end.

As long as it does not begin to influence PvE/PvP and endgame, or if they don't allow you to undermine, say Challenge Modes (effectively buying it) it really does not matter in the long run.
    I am not saying I am against them doing this (again, I disagree but its whatever), but either way this IS a possible stepping stone to doing that in the future. The farther you go down this path the easier it is to be like "Hey, we can make BANK by selling TBC Tier sets so people don't have to sell them!" And stuff like that. And it goes on and on and on. Who knows if Blizzard has the self control to really put up a roadblock for themselves, because if they did eventually sell gear, they WOULD make money.

But WoW already has a shady line because stuff that contains ZERO power is already in game, for the same reason it's in the game shop: looks. The difference? For one you have to play the game, and for the other you have to whip your credit card.
    Why does that matter at all for things that are completely random and just for fun like transmog gear, vanity items, and mounts?

Invincibles Reins doesn't lose any value because you can buy a completely different mount on the shop.

I really can't understand your horrible logic here because you don't make a single fucking bit of sense. There is no shady line because there's nothing shady going on. We've had TCG items FOREVER now and it hasn't cut back the amount of stuff you can obtain in game through other means. In fact, that stuff has only been increasing throughout WoWs history. Your entire premise is just so ridiculously flawed that I can't even take you seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Callei View Post
    There's a big jump involved: so far, nothing on the shop will have tangible boosts in player power. XP boosts aren't any different from heirlooms, minus the stats, and judging from what's been seen with the whole Korean/Chinese internet cafe sub revamp, it may not even make it out of those markets. Pets, mounts, vanity items, and transmog gear are all show no go, mechanically--nothing they offer either cannot be obtained easier for free (vendor mounts/pets, pet battle captures, old raid fun runs) or provide a clear-cut advantage (you don't do more DPS by looking smashing and that seesaw isn't going to up your mitigation).

If, if they start putting actual statted gear on the store, I'll be willing to cry foul. Until then, it's a whole lot of pizazz without any real substance behind it, for people who like pretty mounts, pretty companions, and pretty armor.
    I'm just showing the trend within the game, within the market, and within the community. Do you not believe there are people in this game that are willing to shell out money for real gear? Just like there was with mounts, pets, and now transmog?

15+ Year Old Account
    This just in, businesses attempt (en masse) to make money off their customers by assessing wants and providing the means to purchase them. News at 11.

Oh! Breaking news! One of the ways the previous news item is being made manifest is in video game companies selling additional a la carte items for a fee above and beyond the subscription.

PANIC.

These companies know I will want to buy all of the shit, so why even offer it at all?? They know I can't fucking control myself and throw money at everything begrudgingly! Where's the free stuff? Does WoW even provide ANYTHING? What kind of world are we living in where merchants selling customers items for money is the norm??