Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Marxman View Post
    These cosmetic items aren't hurting anyone. It's more income for Blizzard, which in turn allows them to hire more developers and create more content. Win/Win.

If you're so petty that you would quit because Blizzard found a (VERY ACCEPTABLE) way to earn extra revenue, then I have no sympathy for you whatsoever. They're a business. At least this way no one is forced to pay anything they don't want to spend. If you don't like the cosmetic items, don't buy them.
    Those cosmetic items also give Blizzard the chance to not release content at all. Or throw in more 4.1 patches with nothing but 2 old redone dungeons. And then hand the profit difference over to the shareholders.

What we can be 100% sure of is that IF they will add this shop - they will loose subs. And they will ALSO loose alot of potential new players that have a choice between:

a) Game that charges for the orginal box + expansions + sub + has ingame shop for cosmetic items and boosts (has already been announced in ASIA)
    b) Game that charges nothing but has ingame shop for cosmetic items and boosts.

You know the answer to that. WOW would be stone dead in 2 years.

So do NOT act like Blizzard can have it both ways unless they are JUST milking the current player base sucking them dry before they realise it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Duster505 View Post

We chose to go with the subscription-based model instead of that approach. We've taken the approach that we want players to feel like it's a level playing field once they're in WoW. Outside resources don't play into it -- no gold buying, etc. We take a hard line stance against it. What you get out of microtransactions is kind of the same thing and I think our player base would feel betrayed by it. I think that's something else you have to decide on up-front instead of implementing later.

--Rob Pardo, Blizzard's Senior Vice President of Game Design (2/20/2008)[/B]

It was not ME that said ppl have the right to feel betrayed. It was the Senior Vice President of game design at BLizzard. So putting "betrayed" in "" just shows your lack of real logics instead of accepting the bloody obvious that Blizzard can not come back few years later after adding few mounts and pets and rip the core out of the game - and still think 8 million players are willing to pay subs like nothing happened. It doesn't work like that Mister.
    Sorry, but how does a couple of mounts, helms and pets and a handful of vanity items have ANY effect on the game itself exactly? Outside resources have no impact on the game itself. I can't buy gold, gear and currently I have no way of buying an easy way to level(I have saved my rage and indignation for that, as I believe a fair few people who actually look at things logically are waiting for).

The only thing I don't want to see go live is the XP boost, if that gets announced I give about a week before Blizzard backs down.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    I figured since you'd stuck around for 5-6 years with TCG stuff and Rob Pardo making a blatantly hypocritical statement that you were cool with it.
    There is nothing wrong with Pardo's statement. The fact is that he said AFTER you log into WOW.. you will NEVER have any gains from paying extra. That way he can safely say that Web store items and TCG are ok... but in game shop is not. Cause THAT would be in the game you are playing... not the real world where you buy the TCG and items in WEB store.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ansible View Post
    Sure is a lot of blizzard employees, trying make their cash shop look like a good thing, in this thread.
    Well, that will make it, i can see how the things works lately over here.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    There is no evidence that any extra profit generated from the item shop will be spent creating more content. We have had an item store since Wrath yet Cata had a lot less content and MOP whilst better than Cata has less zones that are smaller, less dungeons and although, some will disagree, I do not think the raids are as good as Ulduar or ICC.
    This.

Also, Blizzards revenue isn't a secret. They don't need the money to do this and they are testing the waters to see how much they can squeeze in. At first it was charity driven. But now there is development time and content being recreated and re-charged. At the very least make the items also attainable by in-game means. We also pay for automated services which equally a joke. By paying a subscription there should be extra incentive. Maybe 2 free transfers a year and $25 in blizzard store money for the year as a reward.

There will come a time where the best item in someone's eyes will be the store. Why does THAT person have to feel that finally when something he really likes is created from the revenue of his subscription, it will cost him extra money?

Even iphone app games allow purchasable items attainable in-game.
    Spike Flail - US Mal'Ganis | Currently 11/11 M | Art by ElyPop

10+ Year Old Account
    There is nothing wrong with Pardo's statement. The fact is that he said AFTER you log into WOW.. you will NEVER have any gains from paying extra. That way he can safely say that Web store items and TCG are ok... but in game shop is not. Cause THAT would be in the game you are playing... not the real world where you buy the TCG and items in WEB store.
    That's quite some reinterpretation of his words.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrena View Post
    Sorry, but how does a couple of mounts, helms and pets and a handful of vanity items have ANY effect on the game itself exactly? Outside resources have no impact on the game itself. I can't buy gold, gear and currently I have no way of buying an easy way to level(I have saved my rage and indignation for that, as I believe a fair few people who actually look at things logically are waiting for).

The only thing I don't want to see go live is the XP boost, if that gets announced I give about a week before Blizzard backs down.
    XP boost has been announced in Asia already. Even tho both BLizzard and fanboys are trying to claim the game is not sub there.... it still is sub based cause you can not log in without paying sub for it. So some ppl thinking that 100% xp boost is not coming to US/EU is not thinking logical.

Secondly... as a person who knows quite a few players in Asia... there is the EXACT same talk there about how both XP boost and cosmetic items in an INGAME shop should lead to WOW going F2P like in any other game there. Having both is just not logical at all from a consumer AND long term future success of the game.

- - - Updated - - -

That's quite some reinterpretation of his words.
    Nope - Just go read it again. "We've taken the approach that we want players to feel like it's a level playing field once they're in WoW".

Quote Originally Posted by ACES View Post
    Every time Blizzard announces something new for the pet store we see the same threads come up about how a game with a monthly sub fee shouldn't have a microtransaction store. I get really frustrated when I see these posts because some people just don't get it.

You pay a monthly fee to be able to log in to your account and play; nothing more, nothing less.
    Oh i get it, but no...I don't pay. I won't play wow again until its f2p. If thats never, good. More time for all the other games I want to play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope - Just go read it again. "We've taken the approach that we want players to feel like it's a level playing field once they're in WoW".
    Outside resources don't come into it. Pretty important few words, it doesn't matter whether those outside resources are spent inside or outside the game, what matters is that inside the game, they're not a factor. The problem with his statement though, was that even as they were commited to print, outside resources were a factor via the TCG.

Outside resources don't come into it. Pretty important few words, it doesn't matter whether those outside resources are spent inside or outside the game, what matters is that inside the game, they're not a factor. The problem with his statement though, was that even as they were commited to print, outside resources were a factor via the TCG.
    Yes - outside resources dont come into it AFTER you log into the game. That includes any currencies that are connected to real money like buying gold or adding new one that you buy for real money to spend in ingame cash shop.

TCG items and web store pets are not outside resources. They are part of the game. Just bought outside the game for currencies that are NOT accepted when you are inside the game. REAL MONEY or currency paid for with real money inside the game would be outside resource.

So any ingame shop built around outside resources will break the basic of what WOW was built on. Thats why I do NOT want to see ingame cash shop but am 100% fine with Webstore one where very limited range of items can and will be added without ppl realising they are just milking it.
    Last edited by Duster505; 2013-07-16 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crookids View Post
    There will come a time where the best item in someone's eyes will be the store. Why does THAT person have to feel that finally when something he really likes is created from the revenue of his subscription, it will cost him extra money?
    Like the bat mount that a lot of people, including myself, have been asking for since the introduction of flying mounts in BC? Yeah, I know that feel T_T

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes - outside resources dont come into it AFTER you log into the game. That includes any currencies that are connected to real money like buying gold or adding new one that you buy for real money to spend in ingame cash shop.

TCG items and web store pets are not outside resources. They are part of the game. Just bought outside the game for currencies that are NOT accepted when you are inside the game. REAL MONEY or currency paid for with real money inside the game would be outside resource.

So any ingame shop built around outside resources will break the basic of what WOW was built on. Thats why I do NOT want to see ingame cash shop but am 100% fine with Webstore one where very limited range of items can and will be added without ppl realising they are just milking it.
    So once you're in WoW, and you see someone with something bought outside of WoW and you want that thing, you think outside resources still don't come into it? I think they do, because I see Spectral Tigers and Feldrakes and wish I had the outside resources for their awesome. I'm not however prepared to gamble for them, or pay an extortionate fee to a third party.

I think you're stretching his words' credibility further than he'd go to defend himself. Easier to just accept he was talking shit for PR, and that their position has changed and become untenable anyway thanks to the continued expansion of TCG stuff. I would much rather have things available from an in-game store than through the affore mentioned gambling.

So once you're in WoW, and you see someone with something bought outside of WoW and you want that thing, you think outside resources still don't come into it? I think they do, because I see Spectral Tigers and Feldrakes and wish I had the outside resources for their awesome. I'm not however prepared to gamble for them, or pay an extortionate fee to a third party.

I think you're stretching his words' credibility further than he'd go to defend himself. Easier to just accept he was talking shit for PR, and that their position has changed and become untenable anyway thanks to the continued expansion of TCG stuff. I would much rather have things available from an in-game store than through the affore mentioned gambling.
    Im not trying to defend him at all I just see the logic that you should not be able to buy anything inside the game for outside resources. They have already broken this principle by adding web store item that you could sell ingame. That way you could buy 10 of those items and sell them in AH. That way real money was directly affecting the ingame market.

I doubt they will allow resellable items again like that cause it really changed how ppl aproached the game. And that is the real danger if we will see any resource that is directly connected to things like real money and can be bought and sold inside the game like would happen in ingame store. The core of the game would change forever.

Deleted
    This is what I've been saying from the very beginning, although, it would of been nicer to see the helmets in game rewards for doing something challenging or difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Hipnos14 View Post
    Like the bat mount that a lot of people, including myself, have been asking for since the introduction of flying mounts in BC? Yeah, I know that feel T_T
    Perfect example and my point exactly.

- - - Updated - - -

The only person that has zero understanding on the basics of what WOW is built on is you Mr. And you best show that when you call ppl that are not willing to pay extra as lazy... And idiots. No they are not. That sort of logic just shows how far YOU are from reality if you think Blizzard can come out with statement like that.

Blizzard can not have it both ways. Thats just a fact. They can not both keep subscription and ingame cash shop. You might accept it.... but like I said... You dont get the logic of basic consumer rights. Blizzard WOULD be betraying players that have been paying for this game for years if they add the shop and still expect the same ppl to pay sub. Thats just a fact that not even you with your poor logic can not debate. Cause Blizzard said it THEMSELFS few years back. And thats just a fact they and you have to accept.

We chose to go with the subscription-based model instead of that approach. We've taken the approach that we want players to feel like it's a level playing field once they're in WoW. Outside resources don't play into it -- no gold buying, etc. We take a hard line stance against it. What you get out of microtransactions is kind of the same thing and I think our player base would feel betrayed by it. I think that's something else you have to decide on up-front instead of implementing later.

--Rob Pardo, Blizzard's Senior Vice President of Game Design (2/20/2008)

It was not ME that said ppl have the right to feel betrayed. It was the Senior Vice President of game design at BLizzard. So putting "betrayed" in "" just shows your lack of real logics instead of accepting the bloody obvious that Blizzard can not come back few years later after adding few mounts and pets and rip the core out of the game - and still think 8 million players are willing to pay subs like nothing happened. It doesn't work like that Mister.
    WOW, excellent find.
    Spike Flail - US Mal'Ganis | Currently 11/11 M | Art by ElyPop

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    There is no evidence that any extra profit generated from the item shop will be spent creating more content. We have had an item store since Wrath yet Cata had a lot less content and MOP whilst better than Cata still has less zones that are smaller, less dungeons and although, some will disagree, I do not think the raids are as good as Ulduar or ICC.
    We actually had more dungeons and more raids in BC than we do now (before the shop), and they said those are the most "time consuming" to make.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ACES View Post
    The latter is designed to bring in additional revenue to be able to develop more content.

naive child

Quote Originally Posted by Tempeste View Post
    We actually had more dungeons and more raids in BC than we do now (before the shop), and they said those are the most "time consuming" to make.
    True - and MOP is the first expansion that does not add 5 man dungeons in content patches. And its the expasnion with the lowest number of new 5 man dungeons ever. Still noone is arguing that 5 man dungeons are the core of the game when it comes to learning to play with other players. Ask any Tank or healer what they have learned in scenarios this expansion and you see why we have long Qs in LFR.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempeste View Post
    Their priorities have shifted from traditional 5 mans and raids format. I doubt we'll ever see the good amount of 5 mans again, like TBC-era heroics, which is a great shame and a deal breaker for many.

In order to support all their new ideas in form of scenarios, brawler's, challenge modes, proving grounds, pet battles and everything else they had to cut somewhere, too bad it was 5 mans and not shit like dailies.

Deleted
    I'd love to know how long these people who spout "You pay a monthly fee to be able to log in to your account and play; nothing more, nothing less. " would hang about happily paying their sub if Blizzard stopped producing content patches just to access those servers "nothing more, nothing less". Blizzard may say this to cover their asses in event of periods of slow content production, but see how long the truth of it stands if it's ever tested. Subscription does bring certain expectations whether you want to admit to them or not. Yeah, I'm just going to pay £9 per month to access a server.