Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ...
29
37
38
39
40
41
49
... LastLast
  1. #761
    Quote Originally Posted by Duster505 View Post
    The price of the expansions have gone up to battle inflation. Its not like sub is the only way for Blizzard to make money. So plz stop with the inflation talk. Thats bull cause everyone with half a brain can go see BLizzard is making good money out of the subs. Much more so than they actually need to keep WOW afloat for 10 years +
    Companies don't decide to just "stop" making money because they've covered their expenses, that would be a non-profit (not a corporation). On top of that, no, the prices for the expansions HAVEN'T gone up. (The even give two expansions away for free now.)
    #blizzisevilebecausetheyarepreventingmefromenjoyingtheirproductswithapricetag #blizzardisprovidinganadditionalservicethatpeopleaskedforandthepeoplewhodidntaskforitarepi ssedbecausetheywanteverythinghandedtothemlikeentitledassholes #whydoessubwaycharge5bucksforasandwichwhenicouldeatmyneighborsdogshitforfree #mcdonaldsmakesenoughmoneyishouldgettheirfoodforfree

  2. #762
    The Lightbringer UnifiedDivide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,240
    Quote Originally Posted by Duster505 View Post
    The price of the expansions have gone up to battle inflation. Its not like sub is the only way for Blizzard to make money. So plz stop with the inflation talk. Thats bull cause everyone with half a brain can go see BLizzard is making good money out of the subs. Much more so than they actually need to keep WOW afloat for 10 years +
    I didn't say anything about inflation... did I? :S

    Super rarely updated...

  3. #763
    Quote Originally Posted by Roflifier View Post
    Why? Because you can't think coherently enough to provide anything constructive to the post? (I was being sarcastic by the way, I was addressing the moronic whiners complaining about what's considered "fair" and "not fair" with what Blizzard does with their money).

    OT: Blizzard ALSO hasn't ever increased the prices of their expansions, and has in fact, DECREASED them, so... yea. The video game industry as a whole has increased the prices of their games to $60 (which is still nothing near to what $50 was back in 2004).
    That is because they have made enough of a profit off of the development of those games that the sales of them are just extra profit into their pockets at this point. Those developers who worked on those games are long gone and have been paid for their efforts long ago. But I bet you think they are reducing the price just out of the kindness of their hearts or something, yes? I'm sorry, but you seem very naive. That is not how businesses work.

  4. #764
    Quote Originally Posted by Duster505 View Post
    Its not like sub is the only way for Blizzard to make money.
    Of course, when Blizzard DOES try other ways to make money, retarded whiny haters lose their shit.
    #blizzisevilebecausetheyarepreventingmefromenjoyingtheirproductswithapricetag #blizzardisprovidinganadditionalservicethatpeopleaskedforandthepeoplewhodidntaskforitarepi ssedbecausetheywanteverythinghandedtothemlikeentitledassholes #whydoessubwaycharge5bucksforasandwichwhenicouldeatmyneighborsdogshitforfree #mcdonaldsmakesenoughmoneyishouldgettheirfoodforfree

  5. #765
    Quote Originally Posted by Roflifier View Post
    Why? Because you can't think coherently enough to provide anything constructive to the post? (I was being sarcastic by the way, I was addressing the moronic whiners complaining about what's considered "fair" and "not fair" with what Blizzard does with their money).

    OT: Blizzard ALSO hasn't ever increased the prices of their expansions, and has in fact, DECREASED them, so... yea. The video game industry as a whole has increased the prices of their games to $60 (which is still nothing near to what $50 was back in 2004).
    Now lets stick to facts shall we. Prices of expansions have gone up.

    Yes... Lets be constructive shall we. And base that on facts. Not bull.

  6. #766
    Quote Originally Posted by Roflifier View Post
    That IS how these things work. Companies increase the prices of their products to match inflation all the time. McDonalds has certainly made its money back from their initial investment when they bought the company, the prices of their food still went up.

    If anyone wants to talk about what's "fair" with their sub fee, than anyone who's been subscribed since 2004 would owe Blizzard another $190 bucks.
    How is it that other games are able to make sequals every 2 years and survive off the box cost alone, but Blizzard not only charges per exspansion but also a subscription fee? Fair enough not all these games are always online, but let's compare WoW to say Call of Duty.

    Call of Duty's going to cost you £25 for the game, plus another £40 a year to go online. Even if you're not paying for XBox Live you can still play the offline portion just fine, or even with bots. If you buy the PS3 version you're only spending £40 a year for that one game.

    WoW on the other hand charges you £10 for the first few games, plus it gives you 1 month of game time. Cata costs £5 and MoP is £25. Before you've even gotten access to the "full game", you're still paying more than other titles. Even if you compare WoW to Skyrim as they're both RPGs, that's £21.33 on Amazon.co.uk

    So for a year of WoW you've had to pay £10 + £5 + £25 + (11 x £9) which equals £139 for the full year. That's almost 7 copies of Skyrim, for just one game!

    You've already paid way, way over the odds for the development and upkeep of World of Warcraft. According to http://www.statisticbrain.com/skyrim...-v-statistics/ Skyrim has sold 10 million copies. Didn't WoW use to have a subscription base of 10 million? If Bethesda can afford to create a sequal to Skyrim based off it's box sales alone, surely, surely WoW can afford to keep making new content either without a subsciption or without a cash-shop.

  7. #767
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempeste View Post
    That is because they have made enough of a profit off of the development of those games that the sales of them are just extra profit into their pockets at this point. Those developers who worked on those games are long gone and have been paid for their efforts long ago. But I bet you think they are reducing the price just out of the kindness of their hearts or something, yes? I'm sorry, but you seem very naive. That is not how businesses work.
    Again, it's a corporation, not some trust fund. They take additional revenue after covering overhead and invest it into other projects (not just "pocket" it). Sure, employees may get bonuses, but where do you think the money to make Hearthstone or Titan came from?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Duster505 View Post
    Now lets stick to facts shall we. Prices of expansions have gone up. They have also removed 1 month sub from the price like it was with TBC when it launched. If you need proof of that then I will put a photo here where it says on the box - 1 month gameplay included with my TBC copy.

    Yes... Lets be constructive shall we. And base that on facts. Not bull.
    Prices have gone up? Really? I guess I must just be a fucking moron. You see, in my universe, $39.99 is the same as $39.99, not greater. Judging on how Burning Crusade MSRPed in 2007 for $39.99, I just can't see how the price of expansions has gone up from $39.99 to $39.99 Would you mind enlightening me on how that's the case?

    Also, I don't recall Burning Crusade ever coming with free gametime, but if you do have an actual legit picture, please post it.
    #blizzisevilebecausetheyarepreventingmefromenjoyingtheirproductswithapricetag #blizzardisprovidinganadditionalservicethatpeopleaskedforandthepeoplewhodidntaskforitarepi ssedbecausetheywanteverythinghandedtothemlikeentitledassholes #whydoessubwaycharge5bucksforasandwichwhenicouldeatmyneighborsdogshitforfree #mcdonaldsmakesenoughmoneyishouldgettheirfoodforfree

  8. #768
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Forgive me if what I'm about to write make little sense, I'm very tired and you wrote a nice lengthy post

    Of course you should take their word. Though many don't believe a single word they say. My point was that yes, things do change and 5 years is a long time for a company. So while you should at least accept what they say, at face value, you also shouldn't be so surprised when changes are made.

    I know you're against it, quite vehemently, but it isn't only Blizzard supporters that are in denial. To say it is, is rather unfair.

    I'm not arguing what the main points are that people have. As I said, in a slightly later post, my problem is the people clutching at any straw, however small, to try make a point and attempting to convince others to effectively join their crusade.

    I agree that there is a lot of profit being made by Blizzard already. I don't think that every last penny from WoW is the only source of income they have to be able to develop other things. There are books, all kinds of collectibles, tournaments, advertising deals... alsorts!
    I will point out that MoP raiding has been fantastic for a great many people though. That is merely your opinion.

    Hopefully most of that makes sense. Anyway, I'd like to point out that while I'm not against the cash shop, at least while it's only cosmetic stuff, I can see exactly where people are coming from.
    What you wrote does make sense although I do not agree with all of it.

    I see no reason why we should take Blizzard's word on face value any longer just in the past week or so we have a moderator here saying that they were invited to a Blizzard event where it was explained that not worry the data mined files were for Korea and then a few days later they turn around say that it is coming to Western realms. And lets not forget this is the company that claims it cannot produce more content with its limited resources despite being one of the most profitable gaming companies on the planet.

    I maybe be against the cash shop but I am not in denial of its existence whereas there are a number of posters who are now supporting it who were quite abusive at the suggestion that it was coming to Western realms.

    The crusade as you put it is to simply say a cash shop in a game that charges a subscription as well as for the base game and expansions is not acceptable, especially when they are giving us less content for our money than they have in the past.

    WOW is the main source of their income, no WOW = no Blizzard. It is my opinion that raiding is worse than in the past and the fact that raiding participation has been lower in the past two tiers than ever before suggests that I am not alone.

  9. #769
    TIL: $39.99 IN 2007 IS > THAN $39.99 TODAY. l MEAN, SURE, $39.99 IN 2007 IS ACTUALLY CLOSER TO $44.13 TODAY (meaning $39.99 is less money in 2007 than $39.99 is today) BUT I'M JUST A STUPID ASSHOLE WHO DOESN'T KNOW WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT, THANKS FOR ENLIGHTENING ME MMOC.
    #blizzisevilebecausetheyarepreventingmefromenjoyingtheirproductswithapricetag #blizzardisprovidinganadditionalservicethatpeopleaskedforandthepeoplewhodidntaskforitarepi ssedbecausetheywanteverythinghandedtothemlikeentitledassholes #whydoessubwaycharge5bucksforasandwichwhenicouldeatmyneighborsdogshitforfree #mcdonaldsmakesenoughmoneyishouldgettheirfoodforfree

  10. #770
    The in game cash shop is about basic principles of what WOW was built on. If Blizzard decides to change that then fine. But like Pardo said himself 5 years back... they can not do that without having some players feeling betrayed.

    So no matter the logic of corporate greed that fanboys are now sticking to... Fact is that there will always be a group of ppl that will not like this. Blizzard will not act like its not the case. They will see it on their sub numbers. And they will also see it on number of new players that will not be ready to buy an 8 year old game that charges for the original game + expansions + sub and then has cash shop fees as well. Those new players will go to new game that might have cash shop... but is not putting up multiple pay walls to let players enjoy their game. Like someone said here earlier... The world HAS changed. You simply can not have such a business model even tho it looks great on paper for your bank account.

    Blizzard failed with double gating content in MOP by having both REP and Valor. The exact same will happen with new players when they realise the entire game is built on double or triple charging them for the enjoyment of playing. Paying sub and having in game micro transaction is simply not acceptable. No other game does that. And thats the bottom line why WOW will not be making extra money with the cash shop... they will just loose subs and no new players will touch the game if they intend to keep that business model.

    I think even Blizzard realises that by now.
    Last edited by Duster505; 2013-07-16 at 10:50 PM.

  11. #771
    Quote Originally Posted by zaxlor View Post
    How is it that other games are able to make sequals every 2 years and survive off the box cost alone, but Blizzard not only charges per exspansion but also a subscription fee? Fair enough not all these games are always online, but let's compare WoW to say Call of Duty.

    Call of Duty's going to cost you £25 for the game, plus another £40 a year to go online. Even if you're not paying for XBox Live you can still play the offline portion just fine, or even with bots. If you buy the PS3 version you're only spending £40 a year for that one game.

    WoW on the other hand charges you £10 for the first few games, plus it gives you 1 month of game time. Cata costs £5 and MoP is £25. Before you've even gotten access to the "full game", you're still paying more than other titles. Even if you compare WoW to Skyrim as they're both RPGs, that's £21.33 on Amazon.co.uk

    So for a year of WoW you've had to pay £10 + £5 + £25 + (11 x £9) which equals £139 for the full year. That's almost 7 copies of Skyrim, for just one game!

    You've already paid way, way over the odds for the development and upkeep of World of Warcraft. According to http://www.statisticbrain.com/skyrim...-v-statistics/ Skyrim has sold 10 million copies. Didn't WoW use to have a subscription base of 10 million? If Bethesda can afford to create a sequal to Skyrim based off it's box sales alone, surely, surely WoW can afford to keep making new content either without a subsciption or without a cash-shop.
    AGAIN, BLlZZARD IS A CORPORATION, NOT A NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION.

    - - - Updated - - -

    GAlZ GAIZ DID YOU KNOW THAT IF YOU BOUGHT SOMETHING FOR $39.99, AND THEN BOUGHT THE SAME THING 4 YEARS LATER FOR $39.99, THAT MEANS THE PRICE WENT UP?

    Moderator Note: Stop with the all-caps. [ML]
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-07-17 at 12:45 AM.
    #blizzisevilebecausetheyarepreventingmefromenjoyingtheirproductswithapricetag #blizzardisprovidinganadditionalservicethatpeopleaskedforandthepeoplewhodidntaskforitarepi ssedbecausetheywanteverythinghandedtothemlikeentitledassholes #whydoessubwaycharge5bucksforasandwichwhenicouldeatmyneighborsdogshitforfree #mcdonaldsmakesenoughmoneyishouldgettheirfoodforfree

  12. #772
    Quote Originally Posted by Roflifier View Post
    TIL: $39.99 IN 2007 IS > THAN $39.99 TODAY. l MEAN, SURE, $39.99 IN 2007 IS ACTUALLY CLOSER TO $44.13 TODAY (meaning $39.99 is less money in 2007 than $39.99 is today) BUT I'M JUST A STUPID ASSHOLE WHO DOESN'T KNOW WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT, THANKS FOR ENLIGHTENING ME MMOC.
    I don't think you're very clever when you start saying that people 'owe' Blizzard money because Blizzard hasn't upped their subscription.

    In a fair world the top <1% wouldn't be able to fill their pockets with an endless stream of millions of cash, while the bottom 20% is too poor to even be able to afford buying a sandwich every day. Your, and most people's, view about fairness is about as twisted as women's anorexic view on ideal bodyweight.

  13. #773
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    I don't think you're very clever when you start saying that people 'owe' Blizzard money because Blizzard hasn't upped their subscription.

    In a fair world the top <1% wouldn't be able to fill their pockets with and endless stream of millions of cash, while the bottom 20% is too poor to even be able to afford buying a sandwich every day. Your, and most people's, view about fairness is about as twisted as women's anorexic view on ideal bodyweight.
    I don't think YOU'RE very clever because you missed the part where I explained that I was being sarcastic with that comment.
    #blizzisevilebecausetheyarepreventingmefromenjoyingtheirproductswithapricetag #blizzardisprovidinganadditionalservicethatpeopleaskedforandthepeoplewhodidntaskforitarepi ssedbecausetheywanteverythinghandedtothemlikeentitledassholes #whydoessubwaycharge5bucksforasandwichwhenicouldeatmyneighborsdogshitforfree #mcdonaldsmakesenoughmoneyishouldgettheirfoodforfree

  14. #774
    Quote Originally Posted by Roflifier View Post
    Of course, when Blizzard DOES try other ways to make money, retarded whiny haters lose their shit.
    It would seem that you are the only one losing their shit here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Roflifier View Post
    Again, it's a corporation, not some trust fund. They take additional revenue after covering overhead and invest it into other projects (not just "pocket" it). Sure, employees may get bonuses, but where do you think the money to make Hearthstone or Titan came from?
    If they are not pocketing the money how do they have $4.6 billion in cash sitting in the bank?

    Quote Originally Posted by Roflifier View Post
    Prices have gone up? Really? I guess I must just be a fucking moron. You see, in my universe, $39.99 is the same as $39.99, not greater. Judging on how Burning Crusade MSRPed in 2007 for $39.99, I just can't see how the price of expansions has gone up from $39.99 to $39.99 Would you mind enlightening me on how that's the case?

    Also, I don't recall Burning Crusade ever coming with free gametime, but if you do have an actual legit picture, please post it.
    I paid £19.99 each for TBC and Wrath both of which I bought from a shop I bought Cata and MOP direct from Blizzard, which meant all of the money was going to them, for £29.99 each. So certainly in the UK the price for expansions has increased dramatically.
    Last edited by Pann; 2013-07-16 at 10:46 PM.

  15. #775
    Quote Originally Posted by Roflifier View Post
    I don't think YOU'RE very clever because you missed the part where I explained that I was being sarcastic with that comment.
    Hopefully you're clever enough then to realize that my comment was made against the non-sarcastic interpretation of 'we owe Blizzard money' instead of taking it personal.

  16. #776
    Your argument might make sense given any other MMO with less than 500k subs. WoW has seen over 10 million for about 6 years just as a rough estimate. 15*10 million plus additional revenues from the store, purchased expansion packs, in game services and mop subs? You're probably looking at the very least 200 million dollars in profit. Most games are lucky if they can sell a few hundred thousand copies at 60 dollars a box-- maybe one one-hundredth to at best ten one-hundredths the profit blizzard has made. The bottom line is that Blizzard is so obscenely rich from WoW and has given absolutely nothing back to its community and instead shamelessly panhandles for even more cash flow through its online store. As a business, does it make sense to do this? Well yes. Even if they manage to piss off 90% of their customer base, they have enough money to develop thousands of games, and the 10% remaining is more than enough people to maintain. Should principles count? Yes absolutely they should. Is Blizzard doing the right thing? No. Not as long as people are feeling exploited. Not only that, if Blizz actually did give back, that only instills better confidence in an already over-sized consumer base. Back in the days when Blizzard was legendary quality in terms of a company people were very positive and on their side so to speak. After almost a decade of being used, I sense a lot of players are essentially waiting for what's coming to them. Imo I wish Blizzard would get back to running their PR train and grow the company even more. I want to see more people enjoying their games, and would love to see Blizz take a lead in growing not just the community of their games but also a role in esports, perhaps even getting air time in the US. With the resources they have, there's a lot they could and should already be doing for gaming, rather than reaping the cash from their supporters without a second thought.

  17. #777
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    It would seem that you are the only losing their shit here.
    I lost my shit a long time ago.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    If they are not pocketing the money how do they have $4.6 billion in cash sitting in the bank?
    Probably the dumbest thing I've read all day.

    *clears throat* IF THEY WERE POCKETING IT, THEY'D HAVE NOTHING IN THE BANK AND IT WOULD BE IN THE BANKS OF THOSE POCKETING IT.

    Having money in the bank is for when shit starts to hit them financially and they need something to fall back on instead of, you know, going out of business.


    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    I paid £19.99 for both TBC and Wrath both of which I bought from a shop I bought Cata and MOP direct from Blizzard, which meant all of the money was going to them, for £29.99 each. So certainly in the UK the price for expansion has increased dramatically.
    I don't know moonspeak money. I'm talking about this American corporation and it's American prices.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    Hopefully you're clever enough then to realize that my comment was made against the non-sarcastic interpretation of 'we owe Blizzard money' instead of taking it personal.
    Hopefully you're clever enough to realize that purposefully misunderstanding a comment to make an irrelevant point doesn't contribute to the discussion.
    #blizzisevilebecausetheyarepreventingmefromenjoyingtheirproductswithapricetag #blizzardisprovidinganadditionalservicethatpeopleaskedforandthepeoplewhodidntaskforitarepi ssedbecausetheywanteverythinghandedtothemlikeentitledassholes #whydoessubwaycharge5bucksforasandwichwhenicouldeatmyneighborsdogshitforfree #mcdonaldsmakesenoughmoneyishouldgettheirfoodforfree

  18. #778
    Quote Originally Posted by Roflifier View Post
    I don't think YOU'RE very clever because you missed the part where I explained that I was being sarcastic with that comment.
    Where'd you explain that?

    From your last few posts you seem to think that Blizzard putting in a cash-shop is a good idea and no-one should complain.

    I'll still stick with my stance that paying for an item, then having to pay again just to use that item is a shitty system. Or at least, I think it's a shitty system and not one I'm willing to sign up to. I'm not okay with systems like XBox Live, but I am with PSN as even though both are a wall that you need to climb in order to get online (not currently with PS3 but soon with the PS4), at least Sony has a big table of goodies for you to play with once you're over that wall.

    If Blizzard wants me to buy items from the cash-shop, don't put a wall up in front of those items. If they want me to subscribe, then put something extra other than just the ability to play a game I've already paid for (the box cost of the exspansion), to keep me paying.

    If people don't mind paying £9 a month to use their £15 item then so be it. I'll not be one of those people though and I hope that many more people will also follow suit.

  19. #779
    Scarab Lord roahn the warlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In your base, killing your dudes
    Posts
    4,749
    I don't blame blizzard (Entirely) I blame the player base. No ones fault but their own for what happened to WoW.
    Granted, Blizzard used to not give a shit what people asked for, and did what they wanted to do. (As artists)
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players

  20. #780
    Im clever enough to realise that Roflifier is not talking logic here. Thats enough to just ignore any of his childish arguments.

    Blizzard is a corporate business. But that does not mean the can do whatever they want thinking that will have no effect on the player base. Obviously Roflifier thinks thats the case. But hes probably the only person in the world that thinks like that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •