Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ...
36
44
45
46
47
48
... LastLast
  1. #901
    Quote Originally Posted by Syran View Post
    Yes, we are complaining for that 10 pounds, because it shows where the direction of this game is most likely headed. TCG ingame stuff was an isolated case, a novelty, a collectible, whereas the new transmog armor sells will (if there's no loud outcry) most likely continue in the expanded form.
    I repeat, these in game AND out of the game items are for the fans. They don't impact anyone else and they have been there for years, not even offered by Blizzard

    Are you bothered because a fan will run around with a fluff helmet ? seriously. Fluff items to buy were in the game since the very start at launch even (BlizzCon pets).

    It is not because you buy coca cola every week you can have all merchandised coca cola things for free either.

    You don't have to pay for a WoW mouse mat either, nor just another in game pet. And some fans paid 500 Euro or more for a spectral tiger 6 years ago already... Did it hurt ?
    Last edited by BenBos; 2013-07-19 at 10:03 AM.

  2. #902
    Quote Originally Posted by neanoa View Post
    I unsubbed today, been playing since early 2006 - and this is where I get off. It's the principle and the lack of integrity on Blizzard's side - not the current content.
    You are not unsubbing because of that, you are unsubbing because you don't want to play anymore, and just need an excuse to unsub.
    If you still like the game and dislike the store (as I do) you can easily play wow without caring too much of what goes on sale.

    The only things I bought from the store are the charity-pets, except the Japan one... too ugly.

  3. #903
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Isolated, when it's been expanded upon and expanded upon over the past 7 years?! And how are these helms, pets, mounts etc from the Blizzard store not a novelty to be collected?
    Would you classify gear bought for money in games which are P2W collectables and a novelty? To me, pets, mounts and gear, which are only a few clicks away from your possesion, aren't even in the same league as Spectral tiger.

    And that's besides the point though. The problem is that if the trend continues we'll see an increasing amount of gear, mounts, pets only obtainable by real money in an already subscription based game. And that's what worries people. Not a few rare as hell mounts.
    Last edited by Syran; 2013-07-19 at 10:15 AM.

  4. #904
    Quote Originally Posted by noskillz View Post
    You are not unsubbing because of that, you are unsubbing because you don't want to play anymore, and just need an excuse to unsub.
    If you still like the game and dislike the store (as I do) you can easily play wow without caring too much of what goes on sale.

    The only things I bought from the store are the charity-pets, except the Japan one... too ugly.
    In looking into this ... why would ANYONE hate a fluff game shop ??? I mean, if the fluff goods don't interest you, well, it is just no use to even discuss it.

    Am I frustrated if someone buys a mouse mat with a WoW logo on it ? Do I envy the guy that just bought an in game helmet he and around 300 others will wear on my server ???

    Of course not. So why post about it ? because Blizzard earns money.

    LOL. what a ridiculous discussion.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2013-07-19 at 10:16 AM.

  5. #905
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Then there's the whole issue of the XP Potion. That's not a "frivolous item that doesn't affect game-balance". Quite the contrary; it upsets the balance of the most fundamental aspect of the game. It is a well-known issue that leveling in Mists of Pandaria is more arduous than any Expansion to come before, and rather than exercise better game design, they're going to charge you to play the game that Blizzard is openly admitting is the way they intend it to be played.

    If that doesn't piss you off, then this will; they've also mentioned that Lesser Charms of Good Fortune will likely be added as microtransactions. That's right, people with more money will be able to gear out more quickly than you, and you're kidding yourself if you think it's going to stop there.
    Just stop all this shit already... A LOT of players play many many alts, and after the 10th character to level though the same zones, it becomes soo boring.. allowing these people to buy a XP boost, is in no way gonna ruin the game, and you're dumb if you believe so...

    Next... how the hell are people gonna be able to get gear faster than everyone else, by being able to buy 50 lesser charms, rather than having to farm for 2 hours to get them?, you are still limited to 3 mogu coins a week, so this is not gonna change anything.. you can farm them, or if you are just to lazy and got the cash to burn, you can buy it.. but this will not make anyway get gear faster than anyone who doesn't pay..
    It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.

  6. #906
    People really need to stop religiously defending a corporation like this. Blizzard will do what it can get away with, that is how business works. Do you really think that if people would not care if Tier pieces were sold in the store, they would not put them in there ? Just see what they did with Diablo3. They are testing the waters.

    Also with all of this happening, people might want to look up Social Media Listening and Engagement Marketing.

  7. #907
    Quote Originally Posted by Lympnoid View Post
    People really need to stop religiously defending a corporation like this. Blizzard will do what it can get away with, that is how business works. Do you really think that if people would not care if Tier pieces were sold in the store, they would not put them in there ? Just see what they did with Diablo3. They are testing the waters.

    Also with all of this happening, people might want to look up Social Media Listening and Engagement Marketing.
    And people should stop spewing communist pamflets too. If people like something they will pay for it. Period. Accept that.

    These days it is as if every other gamer signs With Karl Marx ... while these same guys adore top sporters who gain 1 million euro a month, they would kill a company that gave them 1000's hours of personal fun.

    stop already, I have seen the 60's and the best commy preachers now ride in Mercedes and have banks of their own.

    Blizzard makes great games and I think the best game they ever made is D3 hardcore mode.

    or how about personal gaming fun without communist preaching.

  8. #908
    What a ridicioulous diatribe.

  9. #909
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    And people should stop spewing communist pamflets too. If people like something they will pay for it. Period. Accept that.

    These days it is as if every other gamer signs With Karl Marx ... while these same guys adore top sporters who gain 1 million euro a month, they would kill a company that gave them 1000's hours of personal fun.

    stop already, I have seen the 60's and the best commy preachers now ride in Mercedes and have banks of their own.

    Blizzard makes great games and I think the best game they ever made is D3 hardcore mode.

    or how about personal gaming fun without communist preaching.
    Well it certainly is your right to do whatever you want with your money, and you seem especially eager to throw it into Blizzard's direction, but calling other people communists because of their skepticism towards a multimillion dollar company, out for maximizing profits? You seem a bit deluded.

  10. #910
    Quote Originally Posted by Notos View Post
    Well the primary purpose of that gear at one point was to be used for raiding, which means using rng drops or a form of currency to limit the rate of acquisition. They're not going to change how that gear is obtained just because it's no longer relevant.
    They do not need to change the original way of acquiring the gear but could add popular gear available to purchase with honour or justice points.

    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    I repeat, these in game AND out of the game items are for the fans. They don't impact anyone else and they have been there for years, not even offered by Blizzard

    Are you bothered because a fan will run around with a fluff helmet ? seriously. Fluff items to buy were in the game since the very start at launch even (BlizzCon pets).

    It is not because you buy coca cola every week you can have all merchandised coca cola things for free either.

    You don't have to pay for a WoW mouse mat either, nor just another in game pet. And some fans paid 500 Euro or more for a spectral tiger 6 years ago already... Did it hurt ?
    This thread is about in game items I had not seen anyone mention physical merchandise until you decided to bring it up.

    Your inability to see the difference between virtual and real life goods reminds me of this;



    No-one, appears, to an issue with selling out of game merchandise to those who wish to buy it however many have issue with in game items being created and sold when the subscription fee should cover in game items.

    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    And people should stop spewing communist pamflets too. If people like something they will pay for it. Period. Accept that.

    These days it is as if every other gamer signs With Karl Marx ... while these same guys adore top sporters who gain 1 million euro a month, they would kill a company that gave them 1000's hours of personal fun.

    stop already, I have seen the 60's and the best commy preachers now ride in Mercedes and have banks of their own.

    Blizzard makes great games and I think the best game they ever made is D3 hardcore mode.

    or how about personal gaming fun without communist preaching.
    Wow completely off topic it is almost as if nonsense itself has been given access to the internet.

  11. #911
    Quote Originally Posted by Syran View Post
    Would you classify gear bought for money in games which are P2W collectables and a novelty? To me, pets, mounts and gear, which are only a few clicks away from your possesion, aren't even in the same league as Spectral tiger.

    And that's besides the point though. The problem is that if the trend continues we'll see an increasing amount of gear, mounts, pets only obtainable by real money in an already subscription based game. And that's what worries people. Not a few rare as hell mounts.
    Where are these items that directly increase player power on the Blizz store? Because I'm not seeing anything that compares to the Diablo 3 system in WoW.

    Why is it okay for the Spectral Tiger to be rare and profitable for third parties, but not okay for something to be readily available for the same purpose at a much more reasonable price for sale by the actual developer?

    The only argument I can see that squares your view, is that maybe the helms should cost even more to ensure they remain rare and exclusive, like the TGC mounts.
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2013-07-19 at 12:50 PM.

  12. #912
    "You pay a monthly fee to be able to log in to your account and play; nothing more, nothing less."

    That's a pretty arbitrary definition and only required narrowing once they started selling additional stuff in the Blizzard store. Pets, mounts, now cosmetic gear, soon experience buffs and lesser charms... what next? Who knows.

    The fact is, WoW is one of the most expensive games to play these days. You may say $15 a month is cheap, and that might be true compared to groceries or whatever, but it's a LOT more than almost all other video games demand of you. Playing WoW requires a box purchase of around $40 every two years plus $180 a year in subscription. Even more if you happen to want a server transfer or character recustomization. In comparison, most MMOs are buy-to-play or free-to-play, and other games aren't going to run you more than a one-time $60.

    So, considering that at baseline WoW already demands more of your money than almost any other game today, it's just frustrating for them to continue to add more and more stuff that you have to pay extra for. Enough is enough.

  13. #913
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Where are these items that directly increase player power on the Blizz store? Because I'm not seeing anything that compares to the Diablo 3 system in WoW.

    Why is it okay for the Spectral Tiger to be rare and profitable for third parties, but not okay for something to be readily available for the same purpose at a much more reasonable price for sale by the actual developer?

    The only argument I can see that squares your view, is that maybe the helms should cost even more to ensure they remain rare and exclusive, like the TGC mounts.
    Those items aren't (yet) in the store. However, cosmetics are an important aspect of the game to many players, and with the amount of those items increasing, the amount of players who disappointingly find out they can't access those items without paying an extra fee on top of subcription and initial game cost will increase as well.

    It's not about the price. It's about the ongoing trend. Spectral Tigers didn't signal the gradual transition into the microtransaction policies, as I said, they were an rare novelty, not connected to current industry trends.

  14. #914
    Quote Originally Posted by iperson View Post
    The gym I have a membership at opened a shop with t-shirts, drinks, etc... Of course I had to cancel my membership right away because... well, because $$$ and stuff...
    Does your gym offer a deal where if you invite an overweight friend, they drop lbs twice as fast?

    That's right, your analogy is terrible.
    Benevolence is a luxury for the strong - Wrathion

  15. #915
    Quote Originally Posted by Syran View Post
    Those items aren't (yet) in the store. However, cosmetics are an important aspect of the game to many players, and with the amount of those items increasing, the amount of players who disappointingly find out they can't access those items without paying an extra fee on top of subcription and initial game cost will increase as well.

    It's not about the price. It's about the ongoing trend. Spectral Tigers didn't signal the gradual transition into the microtransaction policies, as I said, they were an rare novelty, not connected to current industry trends.
    Of course they were connected, if not worse. They promoted the purchase of a third party product and gambling by offering the chance of a shiny, rare, novelty item. The whole point was to drive repeat purchases of a product by players of WoW, who may not have even had an interest in the TGC itself at all.

    They absolutely are connected, because it's their very existence is why players felt such novelty items should be available without having to purchase a third party product in the first place. If there's a thin end of the wedge, that's it, and it's been that way for getting on for 7 years now and I see no serious thickening in that time, just an expansion of what's already there.

  16. #916
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Does your gym offer a deal where if you invite an overweight friend, they drop lbs twice as fast?

    That's right, your analogy is terrible.
    Not only that but it's more like if the gym charged for membership and then starts selling access to premium equipment claiming it doesnt matter because its just as good as the old stuff and helps you lose weight just as fast.

  17. #917
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidmaster View Post
    A game that has a paid subscription shouldn't have content locked behind more reallife cash imho
    If i pay 15 euros a month for a game, i expect that i can access all the content it has, even if that includes vanity gear or gear that is "just for looks".
    the selling of pets/mounts on the blizzard site was already shady, but at least that was still mostly for charity.
    Now they made an ingame shop and stash a lot of things in it that are locked for already paying customers, this is a really really bad idea imho.

    Getting more and more glad that i have left WoW behind me some time ago really, this kind of news does not make me want to come back.
    Most of the items sold in the stores are themed after past content. None of these recent helms are based off the current theme of the expansion. Personally I have no interest in them but I'm sure some people will find them cool. If that's your kind of thing then buy it. If I ever have any interest in transmorg I will go find something in game.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Lympnoid View Post
    People really need to stop religiously defending a corporation like this. Blizzard will do what it can get away with, that is how business works. Do you really think that if people would not care if Tier pieces were sold in the store, they would not put them in there ? Just see what they did with Diablo3. They are testing the waters.

    Also with all of this happening, people might want to look up Social Media Listening and Engagement Marketing.
    Diablo is still different than B2W. You were never required to buy anything off the RMAH in Diablo. With WoW being a far more competitive MMO they aren't going to go down this path.

    Neverwinter is a good example of B2W. SWTOR is as well. You feel obligated to buy tokens or increased XP/token acquisition because it's damn near impossible to progress without them. I can't think of a single instance in WoW where buying an item would allow me to progress where running a heroic/scenario wouldn't end up with the same results.

  18. #918
    Quote Originally Posted by jealouspirate View Post
    "You pay a monthly fee to be able to log in to your account and play; nothing more, nothing less."

    That's a pretty arbitrary definition and only required narrowing once they started selling additional stuff in the Blizzard store. Pets, mounts, now cosmetic gear, soon experience buffs and lesser charms... what next? Who knows.

    The fact is, WoW is one of the most expensive games to play these days. You may say $15 a month is cheap, and that might be true compared to groceries or whatever, but it's a LOT more than almost all other video games demand of you. Playing WoW requires a box purchase of around $40 every two years plus $180 a year in subscription. Even more if you happen to want a server transfer or character recustomization. In comparison, most MMOs are buy-to-play or free-to-play, and other games aren't going to run you more than a one-time $60.

    So, considering that at baseline WoW already demands more of your money than almost any other game today, it's just frustrating for them to continue to add more and more stuff that you have to pay extra for. Enough is enough.
    Where were you when Spectral Tiger was available through trading cards? Oh right, playing the game without a care about Spectral Tigers. What exactly has changed here?

    Also, no. WoW is not an expensive hobby to say the least. I've unsubbed to WoW many times over, and found myself playing other games - which in itself is an expensive hobby. $15/month is much cheaper than $60/10hr, which is what most games now consist of. Even if you compare this to hobbies like sports or collection, you can find yourself spending a lot more money than anything you've paid in your WoW subscription.
    Last edited by Thimagryn; 2013-07-19 at 07:52 PM.

  19. #919
    High Overlord terminaltrip421's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    [A] Azuremyst <US>
    Posts
    147
    this would certainly have me considering cancellation had I not already cancelled. It's hard to imagine that this wont lead to at least a small number of cancellations, some of which will even likely come back at some point. but I have to wonder how well the sales will offset that potential loss. I'd imagine that blizz has probably done their homework and aren't worried. of course it could just be like the head bankers who didn't really care who lost their jobs down the road as long as they had squirreled away every last cent possible. that some big wigs are getting to call the shots creating short term profits while the longevity continues to diminish.

    i've quit and come back several times throughout my wow career, every time due to blizz's decisions though and not "a lack of content." and i figure it's people like me who they're likely going to lose over this. and people like me who tell themselves enough is enough and really do move on. it's not easy by any means, i really loved the game but the cons began tipping the scale away from being pros heavy and that's when they lost $15 dollars a month + xpac and blizz store purchases (of which I made 2, one pet, one mount & the beta buy-in.)

    if the pros still outnumber the cons honestly i'm happy for you. i wish they still did for me. i just have my fond memories and my not fond memories now. it's for those not fond memories that i look forward to the day wow crashes and burns though. and that's why i still come here, that and the small chance that it becomes f2p which is the only way I'll come back. anyway this is good news for me because IMO it's one step closer to one of those things becoming a reality.
    <--all 90 now.

  20. #920
    To the people saying "You're just mad because you're poor!" or whatever, I'm just gonna leave this here:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •