Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Supply and demand. That is exactly why Blizzard has an online store. Enough people want the special things, and are willing to pay extra money for them, to warrant Blizzard selling them. If I were a business owner, and found out customers wanted something I could charge a little extra for, why would I not?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endemonadia View Post
    What ur forgetting (and everyone defending the Cash-shop) is that items have been datamined which show Blizzards longterm objective with the cash-shop.

The Elixir which gives 100% EXP boost was important enough for Blizzard to come out and explain why it is there. That item was intended for the cash-shop.
    What bonus does that elixir actually have? It wouldn't work after a certain level, similar to heirlooms i'm sure (and the already in game 300% xp flask), and therefore, wouldn't benefit anyone more or less than the already existing experience increasing items AND RaF. Leveling is already ridiculously fast and easy (coming from someone with multiple 90s), and these elixirs will give little more to the already easy leveling experience. If I'm new to the game, and buy one, it's basically buffed heirloom gear, that costs real money. If I buy one now, on top of full heirloom gear, it's going to shave maybe a day off leveling with no effect after a certain level. Blizzard is doing nothing wrong with trying to find more things to bring players in. Microtransactions happen to be working, obviously, so why should they stop?

None of the Blizzard store items have affected anyone not purchasing them in any way except their entitlement. That's all there is to it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jalen View Post
    Supply and demand. That is exactly why Blizzard has an online store. Enough people want the special things, and are willing to pay extra money for them, to warrant Blizzard selling them. If I were a business owner, and found out customers wanted something I could charge a little extra for, why would I not?

- - - Updated - - -

What bonus does that elixir actually have? It wouldn't work after a certain level, similar to heirlooms i'm sure (and the already in game 300% xp flask), and therefore, wouldn't benefit anyone more or less than the already existing experience increasing items AND RaF. Leveling is already ridiculously fast and easy (coming from someone with multiple 90s), and these elixirs will give little more to the already easy leveling experience. If I'm new to the game, and buy one, it's basically buffed heirloom gear, that costs real money. If I buy one now, on top of full heirloom gear, it's going to shave maybe a day off leveling with no effect after a certain level. Blizzard is doing nothing wrong with trying to find more things to bring players in. Microtransactions happen to be working, obviously, so why should they stop?

None of the Blizzard store items have affected anyone not purchasing them in any way except their entitlement. That's all there is to it.
    Will you apply to the inapplicability of induction once more if I say that when Cash Shop was introduced, NOONE believed me when I said they would be selling good-looking gear and fun on-use trinkets which the other items upcoming to the cash shop pretty much are. People said something along the lines of "nah, thats too much" or "how do you even know that? That would kill the game"

The thing is, your persistence in defending them no matter what is what hurts the game more than the rambling on of people on forums who have quit. This over-rationalising must be making yourself appreciate the game more - as if critical thinking did not mean caring for it! Or another reason might be that you did not play this game in its prime state and are living in delusion. Reality reproduces itself with people like you, who accept common practices like they were the only feasible system. Overrationalizing about capitalistic profit tendencies and at that referring to "free will" in "people can do what they want" and whatnot just sets the current societal structure in place even more. Moreover, it illuminates it. This is extremely one-dimensional thinking. And I can guarantee you that you shall not yourself understand it for long time to come.

The bottom line is, those items that you can currently only purchase from the cash shop would have provided extremely satisfying rewards for content, perhaps similar to the legendary quests for the meta gem and cloak or warlock green fire perhaps. And no, to the one who said they would be achievable by dailies: more like challenge mode competition periods or personal character development in the form of the equivalent for Path of the Titans. It destroys potential quality content, leaving only the rewards. IT FRACTURES THE GAME and because it works en masse on people, it more likely means that they will step by step have a larger and larger part of the development team creating Cash Shop content only. Who knows, perhaps one day we will have Premium Accounts, where paying 75€ each month gets you all upcoming cash content by default. And your problem is you don't see potential (and in whatever non-conformistic sense, better!) alternatives and cling to current accepted practices and social norms by default.
    Last edited by mmoc4282a3f415; 2013-07-22 at 06:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syran View Post
    Well it certainly is your right to do whatever you want with your money, and you seem especially eager to throw it into Blizzard's direction, but calling other people communists because of their skepticism towards a multimillion dollar company, out for maximizing profits? You seem a bit deluded.
    Labelling you lot as communists might be a bridge too far, but you've definitely exhibited enough antagonism to merit the label of anti-capitalist. Oh, you naive little ones, who still think there's a better way to run the world than money, a way that hasn't been tried and failed before, a way that would actually work. Capitalism brings with it the maximum of convenience, leisure and general enrichment of one's life. Anti-capitalism breeds misery, poverty and your place in the queue to receive your rations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    Didn't help that he had Sky Admiral Warcrimes McEvillaugh flying his airship for him.
    hi im tydrane from dranasuss

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Inahu View Post
    Labelling you lot as communists might be a bridge too far, but you've definitely exhibited enough antagonism to merit the label of anti-capitalist. Oh, you naive little ones, who still think there's a better way to run the world than money, a way that hasn't been tried and failed before, a way that would actually work. Capitalism brings with it the maximum of convenience, leisure and general enrichment of one's life. Anti-capitalism breeds misery, poverty and your place in the queue to receive your rations.
    That's a terribly terribly capitalist view right there. Fruitlessness of setting yourself out of the prevalent system I see? You should read a bit too. Capitalism is pretty much the source for the majority of Earth's and humanity's problems. It had its time in the evolution of mankind, but it's time to move on. Has been for a long time now.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by neanoa View Post
    You're ignorant if you think it'll stop at purely cosmetic stuff. You'll be seeing different sort of buffs to ingame currencies soon enough. Be that honor, conquest, valor, justice, charms - you name it.

I unsubbed today, been playing since early 2006 - and this is where I get off. It's the principle and the lack of integrity on Blizzard's side - not the current content.
    I'm sure your ONE subscription subtraction will really show those Blizzard executives that they need to shape up. I don't understand why you're calling him ignorant while you're here making unrealistic accusations and going off the deep end with conspiracy. Wake up, they're here to make money, if they find a way to make money, they will make money. They are NOT stupid enough to allow players to purchase gear, they have been against this for years and are still fighting out side vendors for doing such a thing (granted there is another reason they're attacking those out side vendors). EVERYTHING in the Blizzard store is COSMETIC ONLY. THERE IS NOTHING IN THERE THAT GIVES YOU ANY TYPE OF ADVANTAGE IN GAME. I'LL SAY IT AGAIN, THERE IS NOTHING IN THE BLIZZARD STORE THAT WILL GIVE ANY PLAYER ANY TYPE OF IN GAME ADVANTAGE. I don't understand why there are so many people against the fact they're selling transmog helmets. Don't want one? Don't buy one. There is no advantage to buying one. Jesus Christ, people need to chill out and stop making such big deals out of nothing.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Emophia View Post
    Yeah sure, thats why the tier gear looks so good.

Oh wait, not, they look like fucking garbage, and these helms look good enough to be from a completely different game.

Fuck you and your corporate apologies.

[Infracted]
    Quoted for truth.

Basically speaking these 3 helms were created by the Wow dev team, a dev team which is being paid by everyone who pays a subscription to Wow. Everything u listed is not created by the Wow dev team, and that means theyre not being paid by the subscribers.
    If there was no Blizzard store these helms would not exist. So what are you whining about?

Quote Originally Posted by Darklordvyperx View Post
    Let's face it. If Blizzard simply put these items into the game, without charging for them, acquiring them would involve months of monotonous daily quest grinding, which people would then whine about. As long as the store items are only cosmetic, then as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't affect game-play, and therefore should not be frowned upon. Saying that the store items affect the game and it's future has no basis in fact and is simply an opinion. There is no "malpractice" involved by the way. Saying so is implying that Blizzard is doing something illegal. Which they aren't.
    I don't think they'd even exist, but if they did I guess they'd be at DMF for some tickets?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

WTF

The Wow mouse is made by Steelseries. It is Steelseries who pay all of the development costs for making this mouse. All Blizzard does is agrees to have the Wow logo on the mouse. They both then split the profits.

i could use the same explanation for all the other MERCHANDISE that u listed.

Basically speaking these 3 helms were created by the Wow dev team, a dev team which is being paid by everyone who pays a subscription to Wow. Everything u listed is not created by the Wow dev team, and that means theyre not being paid by the subscribers.

Benbos, we all know ur extremely good at not understanding anything on these forums but this mistake is just hilarious.
    Blizzard pays them, not the subscribers, so they can do whatever the hell Blizzard wants them to.
    If you're not a shareholder, you have no business telling where the resources should be spent.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fresh View Post
    EVERYTHING in the Blizzard store is COSMETIC ONLY. THERE IS NOTHING IN THERE THAT GIVES YOU ANY TYPE OF ADVANTAGE IN GAME. I'LL SAY IT AGAIN, THERE IS NOTHING IN THE BLIZZARD STORE THAT WILL GIVE ANY PLAYER ANY TYPE OF IN GAME ADVANTAGE. I don't understand why there are so many people against the fact they're selling transmog helmets. Don't want one? Don't buy one. There is no advantage to buying one. Jesus Christ, people need to chill out and stop making such big deals out of nothing.
    Everything _so far_ is cosmetic only. I guess people are getting upset over it because of the xp buff potion that got datamined.
    Before starting WoW a year ago, I played LOTRO for five years. Swore I'd never quit for just as long. The game went F2P a few years ago. One by one parts of the game got reworked to be usable via the store only. Other parts saw little bits removed with a silly excuse like 'did not work out as we planned' or 'is too powerful' only to be added to the store a few patches later. Most of this stuff you had a minuscule chance to get ingame if you were up to days of grinding (and all the people I know of who were grinding, were doing so in their sleep via macros and multiboxing). Came a point where our raid leader kindly required us to buy some buffs from the store for a boss challenge we had a hard time with. And ofc, to PvP without store items became near impossible.

So yeah, the minute the store gets anything else than vanity items, I'm outta here also. The gloom and doom might be a few years away, as someone pointed out, but I'm not prepared to pay sub for those few years and slowly get pressured into store upgrades if I want to have a raid spot or level fast enough to get a raid team into a new raid in a new expansion. The two or so years I endured LOTRO in P2W mode, I could have been having much more fun somewhere else. Stupid loyalty and hope has no power against money from the people with deep pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by ACES View Post
    Every time Blizzard announces something new for the pet store we see the same threads come up about how a game with a monthly sub fee shouldn't have a microtransaction store. I get really frustrated when I see these posts because some people just don't get it.

You pay a monthly fee to be able to log in to your account and play; nothing more, nothing less.

Blizzard is a business and they have to do with that money whatever they feel will be most profitable. This can be anything from developing PvE and PvP content to developing items for the Blizzard store. The purpose of the former is to keep people subscribed to WoW and maybe even bring old people back/new people in. The latter is designed to bring in additional revenue to be able to develop more content.

The most important thing to realize is that Blizzard will NEVER make Tier Sets or any current content gear available for cash; they are not stupid enough to do that and you can mark my words that it'll never happen.

The Blizzard store is not a slippery slope, it is a smart business move to bring in more money for the company. The more resources Blizzard has, the more content they can develop and the better off we are as players.
    You are an idiot and a terrible, terrible fanboy. "Derp as a company, they're here to make the MOST money they can NOT make the BEST game they can!" fucking idiot. This company started out making great games NOT looking for large amounts of money, JUST being able to keep making more games but they became GREEDY as almost EVERYONE with lots of money does and becomes TERRIBLE. But still has the IDIOT fans that support them the entire way despite how terrible they've become, much like METALLICA. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
    You are an idiot and a terrible, terrible fanboy. "Derp as a company, they're here to make the MOST money they can NOT make the BEST game they can!" fucking idiot. This company started out making great games NOT looking for large amounts of money, JUST being able to keep making more games but they became GREEDY as almost EVERYONE with lots of money does and becomes TERRIBLE. But still has the IDIOT fans that support them the entire way despite how terrible they've become, much like METALLICA. Go figure.

Who are you to say they weren't looking to make large amounts of money? Who doesn't want to become fabulously wealthy doing something they enjoy? Also capitalizing certain words does not make your point any stronger. In fact it makes it less so. Making something BIGGER doesn't make it more correct. You also want to know what helps you keep your successful game studio successful? A crap ton of money in the bank that way if you do make a few flops or mistakes you have the cash in the bank to ride the hard times out. Blizzard isn't just a gang of cool kids making video games because they think it's cool like you seem to want it to be and except for maybe the very very very beginning it never was.

Thus far the only idiots are folks like you who can't make a salient point without speaking in stupid cliches about people being overcome with greed and such. If you don't like it don't buy from it it's as simple as that. They could have a 2 or 20 million subscribers if people didn't buy things from the store they wouldn't keep putting items on it. As things are people have voted with their money: they like being able to buy things from the store. You don't. Oh well. Either play wow and don't' buy things off the store or quit.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    Who are you to say they weren't looking to make large amounts of money? Who doesn't want to become fabulously wealthy doing something they enjoy?
    Thus far the only idiots are folks like you who can't make a salient point without speaking in stupid cliches about people being overcome with greed and such.
    1. If they were, they certainly did not expose it so visibly as they do now. Greed blinds them.
    2. You tell him to not use cliches while you yourself do just that when you say "Who doesn't want to become fabulously wealthy doing something they enjoy?". There are still morally intact people in the world, people who understand that money is not everything, that it has a tendency foremost to lead people astray not guide them to the correct destination and whatnot. But it's a dying breed.

Ultimately this question is about whether you are used to being the OBJECT of the society, or aiming to become the SUBJECT of the society. Most people in this thread are flat-out objects.

Quote Originally Posted by Inahu View Post
    I didn't know Mitt Romney had an mmo champ account.

I'm not going to derail this thread arguing economic structures with you. But are you serious? Do you actually believe what you typed. Have you been living under a rock for the last century or are you just trolling?

The fact that so many people in this thread are oblivious to ethics practices regarding buisinesses and corporations is absolutely mind blowing.

10+ Year Old Account
    For real, those of you who scream about P2W go play some of the Russian MMOs like Allods Online.
    I'm sure you'll probably take your words back.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    I am pretty sure the old Tabards, Mounts and Pets... in the CCG and few dozen IN GAME items sold in the last 6 years used some resources too.

But you had no problem with it because they were made by Cryptozoic and even sold on ebay at ridiculous prices, but NOW that Blizzard introduces a few of these fluff things in their cash shop they are .. evil...

... So to YOU it is a problem that Blizzard gets the money instead of Cryptozoic or just another 3rd party (in which you never saw anything negative early on).

Which proves you are a simple Blizzard hater while not even playing their games ... (Fans couldn't care less about merchandised stuff, on the contrary).

BTW: designing, producing and distributing merchanised stuff takes resources too from a company. Blizzard is bigger than a bunch of digital encoders.

So making T shirts, mice, mats, in game items sold by 3rd parties has been happening since the start of WOW. You simply are terrified Blizzard is now being paid by selling them on their website (instead of someone else getting rich by selling Spectral Tigers at 500 dollars each).

People were up in arms all the time but there were always apologists.
    When the TCG loot appeared they said : "Calm down, it's not an itemshop".
    When the itemshop appeared they said : "Calm down, they are only selling pets, not mounts or items".
    When they sold that retarded horse they said : "Calm down, they are not selling items".
    Now with the transmog gear they say "Calm down, they are not selling heroic raid gear".

Oh and they always go to their "slippery slope" argument when someone mentions this.

I don't get all this uproar about entirely cosmetic items in a store, you are at no disadventage due to them, yet everyone goes to the barricades like they just introduced Pay-to-Win to the game.