Poll: Do you support or oppose the cash shop?

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I don't really care either way, to be honest. I definitely support more toys/pets/mounts.

edit: WTB armor dyes, so I can change the color of my gear plox!

10+ Year Old Account
    Pets, mounts, TransmogGear, xp-bonus... All that stuff, they can sell like crazy.. They don't make any impact on the game..

End-game content (consumables, gear, mounts/pets from current expansion bosses), should NOT be possible to buy.. We don't want a pay2win game.....
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

People who oppose the cash shop are people getting mad at others for having sugar in their coffee.
    It's THEIR choice, people.
    Last edited by Chaosturn; 2013-07-30 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    There are many threads about the cash shop and many different opinions. But it's hard to see what the general consensus is though, at the moment it looks roughly 50/50 for and against based on user posts.

So I'm making a simple poll.

I want to be very clear: Your selection should reflect your opinion of not just the new transmog items but also mounts, pets and novelty (toy) items past, present and future. For now, ignore whether you think it will lead to raid or PVP gear and make your selection based soley on cosmetics and novelty items.

Keep any discussion civil
    I think that they should open the shop to ALL boe items, or admit that they support some of the companies that already do, so long as they make these things available across the board to all continents all servers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Pets, mounts, TransmogGear, xp-bonus... All that stuff, they can sell like crazy.. They don't make any impact on the game..

End-game content (consumables, gear, mounts/pets from current expansion bosses), should NOT be possible to buy.. We don't want a pay2win game.....

the availability of extra cash to throw at the game will not effect players skill.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    LOL at cash shop crybabies... if you don't want it, don't buy it. It's that simple.

Nothing that can be purchased in the store can affect your game... AT ALL (unless maybe one of the Pokewow pets?).

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post

There's no limit to these cosmetic things that you claim don't affect the game as this poll shows: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/view...ntpage=80#1596

Also XP bonuses do affect the game. Why not just give them to everyone, instead of just undeserving people with money to spend?

Quote Originally Posted by rejer13 View Post
    Its only a small step away from gear. And levels. Activision is the disease in Bllizzard.
    Blizzard is ill. Save Blizzard from the terrible disease that we call Activision.
    Utter rubbish.
    Vivendi was the big threat, and that is being dealt with.
    What recent events have shown is that Activision does not have the sway people say it had.

You could say pets and mounts were only a small step away, that any sort of store was only a small step away.
    That a store in ANY game would be only that small step away.

But people did not, because it is simply scaremongering from people too unoriginal to come up with genuine complaint.
    You disagree with it, but instead of trying to come up with a good argument, you simply jump on the latest bandwagon and start spewing a lot of nonsense.

Blizzard are not the first to do this.
    The pets and mounts were no different to the helms, yet people got excessively worked up over something which makes NO difference, and throw around terms like Pay-To-Win to make themselves look smart, when they just look dumb as the term is describing something else alltogether.

Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
    There's no limit to these cosmetic things that you claim don't affect the game as this poll shows: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/view...�tpage=80#1596

Also XP bonuses do affect the game. Why not just give them to everyone, instead of just undeserving people with money to spend?
    What we don't know yet is if those xp bonuses will be in all regions, and people seem quick to ignore the basic properties of them.
    1 hour duration potions, which if you get your head out the sand is pretty obviously aimed at the pay-per-hour market in asia.
    Where they can selectively choose to pop a potion only if they are in circumstances where it will offer a good benefit, like a dungeon rather than while questing.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2013-07-30 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by g01851 View Post
    LOL at cash shop crybabies... if you don't want it, don't buy it. It's that simple.

Nothing that can be purchased in the store can affect your game... AT ALL (unless maybe one of the Pokewow pets?).
    That's a bad argument. If they sell PvE epics, one could still just argue: "if you don't want it, don't buy it. It's that simple."

Deleted
    I oppose because we allready pay the monthly fee- yet blizzard is allways behind the deadlines, lacks proper balance patches, constantly neglects bug fixes and pushes changes behind players knowladge. For me, they should work even harder for the monthly sub.

Quote Originally Posted by Naztrak View Post
    I oppose because we allready pay the monthly fee-
    Yep.

I would also add that it is better that they raise the price of the game on everyone than offer microtransactions. Maintaining fairness in a MMO is important. One of the main reasons to play a MMO is for accomplishment and epeen. And allowing others to buy access to exclusive things, cosmetic or otherwise, kills fairness. It kills the idea that everyone is equal, that they all pay equally for the game, and have equal opportunity to access everything in the game. And killing fairness, means that there's no reason to play a MMO for accomplishment and epeen.
    Last edited by paralleluniverse; 2013-07-30 at 03:37 PM.

That's a bad argument. If they sell PvE epics, one could still just argue: "if you don't want it, don't buy it. It's that simple."
    It is a good argument, but people call it bad with no justification.
    It applied equally to pets and mounts.
    If it is cosmetic, or having no impact on the gameplay of other players then it is simple.
    You choose to buy it or not.

Yep.

I would also add that it is better that they raise the price of the game on everyone than offer microstransactions.
    So you decide that everyone should shoulder the cost rather than just those who choose to ?
    Talk about arrogant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oppose unless they add more payment methods then i wouldn't care, however currently anything added to the store is completely unavailable to me and is deemed an insult in my books :P

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    It is a good argument, but people call it bad with no justification.
    It applied equally to pets and mounts.
    If it is cosmetic, or having no impact on the gameplay of other players then it is simple.
    You choose to buy it or not.

So you decide that everyone should shoulder the cost rather than just those who choose to ?
    Talk about arrogant.
    You assume that everyone isn't already "shoulder[ing] the cost". Everyone already pays a sub for this game. The things they are selling on the store have been funded by subscriptions already. They are charging for what is essentially, already paid for. It's sleazy.

And yes, better that everyone equally pays more to maintain equality of access and fairness.

Even if they sell epics, it's still a choice to buy it. Sure, you may be more inclined. But it's still a choice. So that argument is a bad one. Select a better argument.

I don't suppose I care either way, given that it's purely cosmetic stuff. But it's the principle behind it that I can't stand. I think it's incredibly greedy how they have so many premium things, milking their customers at every turn. A game should either charge for expansions, transfers and whatnot while not having a subscription, or the subscription should cover all of that stuff. It's angering that they're able to be so greedy, but it is what it is. Ignoring the principle though, I don't care if these relatively useless things can be purchased. If people want to throw more money at them for stuff that doesn't help them, that's their business.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Just a question: Why are people with money to spend "undeserving". To play devil's advocate...people vote for exclusiveness in games. Now there is sth exclusive...to ppl with money. But I guess people didn't have that in mind?

XP bonus is given to everyone in the form of rested XP
    XP bonus is given to the ones who do something in game for it in the shape of BoAs that require reputation with your guild and heirlooms

One might as well argue that people not in guilds get punished here.
    But this is an XP bonus on top of those XP bonuses you talk about. So you haven't made an apples to apples comparison, as this extra XP bonus is not otherwise available.

It's undeserved as you haven't achieved anything in the game to deserve the bonus of having an extra XP bonus more so than those who don't get this XP bonus. How is it fair to those who don't get this XP bonus? You get it because you've got money to spend. That's how the real world works. It's not how a game, especially one built on player accomplishment, and originally built on fairness and equality of access, should work. You haven't done anything within the game to deserve an in-game bonus.

- - - Updated - - -

There is no limit to cosmetic microtransactions: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/view...ntpage=80#1596

for me it's the same conversation when they introduce vanity pet shop and vanity pet mount in Blizzard store

People don't care anymore if you have the Ragnaros pet or the celestial steed

It will pass, people are not going to talk about the new stuff in 2 or 3 weeks

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Also XP bonuses do affect the game.
    XP bonuses can potentially affect the game (in a negative way). But only if they are available early on during a new expansion where the race is on to reach level cap.

An XP bonus at this stage of the expansion has a negligible impact on the game. The function of this feature is to make the game experience more fun for the following people:

1) People coming back to the game after a long absence who want to catch up to their friends so that they can participate in end game content.
    2) People who want to switch toons for endgame content.
    3) People who want to level up the alts and basically just want to do it quickly.

It's a catch up mechanism plain a simple. It doesn't give anyone a competitive advantage. Importantly there is no reason why anyone would have to use this service in order to stay near the front of the pack.

Why not just give them to everyone, instead of just undeserving people with money to spend?
    Because not everyone wants them. WoW has over 7 million players. That is a truckload. While there are a lot of people who either want a faster levelling experience, or are ambivalent about it, there are probably millions who would rather keep the current pace, and some who would prefer it to be even slower.

The bottom line is that WoW levelling is intended to be experienced at a fairly leisurely pace. But if some people really want to skip through it, they now have that option. By making it a paid service though, most people will likely elect to stick at a normal pace which is probably better for the game as a whole.

I find it puzzling that people can't grasp that many players consider cosmetic items at least as important as stats, if not moreso.

Stats are numbers. Cosmetics are joy.
    Stat items are disposable, cosmetic items will be kept always.

What we have here is scores of people insulting others because they like cosmetics and don't believe you should pay extra for them. It's no suprise that most people attacking those who oppose the cash shop make the argument that cosmetics don't matter, therefore it's ok... well it obviously it matters to them! Just because you don't care about it doesn't mean it doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    XP bonuses can potentially affect the game (in a negative way). But only if they are available early on during a new expansion where the race is on to reach level cap.

An XP bonus at this stage of the expansion has a negligible impact on the game. The function of this feature is to make the game experience more fun for the following people:

1) People coming back to the game after a long absence who want to catch up to their friends so that they can participate in end game content.
    2) People who want to switch toons for endgame content.
    3) People who want to level up the alts and basically just want to do it quickly.

It's a catch up mechanism plain a simple. It doesn't give anyone a competitive advantage. Importantly there is no reason why anyone would have to use this service in order to stay near the front of the pack.

Because not everyone wants them. WoW has over 7 million players. That is a truckload. While there are a lot of people who either want a faster levelling experience, or are ambivalent about it, there are probably millions who would rather keep the current pace, and some who would prefer it to be even slower.

The bottom line is that WoW levelling is intended to be experienced at a fairly leisurely pace. But if some people really want to skip through it, they now have that option. By making it a paid service though, most people will likely elect to stick at a normal pace which is probably better for the game as a whole.
    That's a completely and utterly bullshit reason. If that's what they truly wanted, why not give it to everyone?

Why not let EVERYONE catch-up with their friends?

What? Only rich people deserve to catch-up to their friends? Yeah that's what I thought.

Not everyone wants it? Then make it an option.

- - - Updated - - -

I find it puzzling that people can't grasp that many players consider cosmetic items at least as important as stats, if not moreso.

Stats are numbers. Cosmetics are joy.
    Stat items are disposable, cosmetic items will be kept always.

What we have here is scores of people insulting others because they like cosmetics and don't believe you should pay extra for them. It's no suprise that most people attacking those who oppose the cash shop make the argument that cosmetics don't matter, therefore it's ok... well it obviously it matters to them! Just because you don't care about it doesn't mean it doesn't matter.
    Indeed.

Of course it matters.

If it doesn't matter, why does challenge mode offer cosmetic gear only?

If it doesn't matter, why is the most valuable item off Arthas, the Invincible mount?

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    What we have here is scores of people insulting others because they like cosmetics and don't believe you should pay extra for them.
    Let's be honest here: There are tens of thousands of items in the game, all of which can be considered "cosmetic" - hence the idea of transmogrification. None of them require you to pay extra, however not all of them are obtainable by everyone.

The fact is that a lot of items are out of reach of many players for a variety of different reasons. Having three items with a slightly different accessability model is hardly something to start getting up in arms about.

While current tier heroic raiding gear is obtainable by only a tiny fraction of the playerbase, at least these cash shop items can be obtained by anyone.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a completely and utterly bullshit reason.
    And you sir, are being argumentive without any substance to back it up.

- - - Updated - - -

If that's what they truly wanted, why not give it to everyone?

Why not let EVERYONE catch-up with their friends?

What? Only rich people deserve to catch-up to their friends? Yeah that's what I thought.

Not everyone wants it? Then make it an option.
    Oh quit whining about what other people are getting. It doesn't affect you.

If someone else feels strongly enough about levelling their toons faster that they are prepared to spend their money on it, good for them. Good for Blizzard. Good for the game. If that sends other people into a jealous rage, that's not the fault of Blizzard....

- - - Updated - - -

If it doesn't matter, why does challenge mode offer cosmetic gear only?
    If it doesn't matter, why is the most valuable item off Arthas, the Invincible mount?
    So what, you'd prefer the helms get gated behind content accessible to only 1% of the playerbase? Or maybe behind a ten year grind?

The whole point of these items is that ANYONE can get them if they really want it (and you cannot argue affordability - if someone wants it that badly, they can unsub for a month to pay for it). You no more "need" these items than you need challenge mode gear or Invincible, so arguing that it "needs" to be free is nonsensical.