Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

[Anime] Do you believe it is particularly wrong to enjoy certain dubbed anime?

I remember the days when I had no actual, logical idea on what made anime art, and sheepishly watched hundreds of episodes of mediocre junk like Naruto or Bleach all subbed in Japanese, while being mindlessly against the very thought of anything reworked in english. It was not until recently I had decided to watch the whole series of Death Note again out of boredom, but due to convenience, what was quickly available to me was the dubbed version, so I turned on the TV and sat back. Growing up, I realized I no longer mind all about the fact that they are not speaking in Japanese, and due to the better taste in media I acquired, I could hear really competent voice acting behind the dub. Provided, this is only if I can see it is genuine quality.

I would eventually also watch the whole series of both Clannad and Angel Beats! in english out of convenience again, and really didn't mind at all. Not even in the slightest, with the closest thing bothering me is the name pronunciation of names. But sharing this thought is typically fruitless, as people are still quick to lash out at this very thought being mentioned.

Assuming you are an anime or artistic enthusiast, what do you think of this? Is it wrong, do you have anything against it?
    "The Naxxramas Warrior. Eternal slayer of the Orcs."

Deleted
    I prefer dubbed anime unless the voice actors are really bad.

i prefer dubbed, too. it lets you watch for the details the first time, instead of having to watch it a few times to get them.

Deleted
    Another fucking thread that in some way involves Clannad; seriously?

OT; I prefer most subbed anime simply because the dubbed version that i've watch (fucking FMA; Brotherhood) had really annoying voice actors.

10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer subbed anime because the voice acting tends to be more *emotional* even if I don't understand the words...if that really makes sense.
    There are some dubbed shows/movies though that have good voice acting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Always subbed for me but I can understand the appeal of dubbed.

Deleted
    I guess this has to do with in which country you're born at. I'm from Belgium and non-dutch speaking programs always had subtitles on them. Even now I rather watch English shows with English subtitles, even though I understand them completely without.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by UnC View Post
    If you don't enjoy japanimation with its original audio its like eating rice without honey.

I fucking love rice with honey, I don't think I can eat it without it.
    Rice and honey? Sounds vomit inducing.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisberb View Post
    I prefer subbed anime because the voice acting tends to be more *emotional* even if I don't understand the words...if that really makes sense.
    There are some dubbed shows/movies though that have good voice acting.
    Having only ever watched a few episodes of anime ever, (that being Naruto a good 7 years or so ago) I can assuredly say there's nothing more monotonous than the Japanese language.

OT: As I said above, I don't watch anime, but I'd prefer dubs over subs any day; subtitles, even if ever so slightly, divert your attention from the actual story at hand and basically make you lose out.

10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer dubbed. I'm an American, I speak English, I want to hear English. I don't want to have to look at text, back at the screen, back and forth. To tell you the truth, I honestly can't stand most of the JP voice actors; they get women to voice boys, men all sound like Barry Manilow, and they whine and screech so freaking much.

The way I've always looked at it is, if you staunchly refuse to watch dubbed anime, like totally against it, you're just showing how much of a weeaboo you are. I've been to Japan, I love anime (though I'm not a rabid fan about it), and I certainly would not mind going back to Japan, but I know I'm a big white guy and not Japanese, I have no desire to speak the language, and I don't put silly squiggles and ascii characters in my posts or texts to look more gooberish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

The whole, "original voices" vs dubbed voices thing is really just a matter of opinion and a hipstery-ish mindset.

Me personally, I can't stand most japanese voice actors. I'm not quite sure if its just the specific ones I've seen, but most japanese voices I hear in anime are god-awful. Whenever I see voice actors that aren't bad, I'd really rather not focus on the lower portion of my screen just to realize what's going on.

The thing is, for a long time, english dubbing was done very poorly. You'd see it in old japanese movies and video games all the time. The voice actors are just bad, the actual translated lines are shit, it's a mess in any capacity. Now, dubbing has gotten much better (in some areas anyway), but many viewers get a stick up their asses that's so far deep, if you watch anything BUT the japanese original, you're a heretic that needs to be burned like a witch.

Some dubs CAN be bad, people still complain about what 4kids did to their shows. Sometimes, it's just a change of music playing in the background. I know Dragonball Z has the it with their different dubs.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

Cowboy bebop has pretty good dubbing

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by UnC View Post
    Its amazing, you should try it.

Just don't make it with salt, salt is bad for your health anyways.
    Don't add salt to my honey and rice? I will remember that, thanks.......

theres nothing wrong with dubs. dubbing has gotten ALOT better than it used to and theres no reason not to like dubs anymore
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    theres nothing wrong with dubs. dubbing has gotten ALOT better than it used to and theres no reason not to like dubs anymore
    Shitty voice actors is still a reason. Although that goes both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    I prefer dubbed. I'm an American, I speak English, I want to hear English. I don't want to have to look at text, back at the screen, back and forth. To tell you the truth, I honestly can't stand most of the JP voice actors; they get women to voice boys, men all sound like Barry Manilow, and they whine and screech so freaking much.
    Sounds just like pretty much all voice acting to me. Don't understand the complaints about 'having to read' or 'looking at text and then back at the screen' can people really not do both?

Personally I prefer subbed anime over dubbed and will not watch dubbed for one reason; English voice actors that dub anime over-act the shit out of everything and make everything feel so melodramatic. Oh and hearing someone say 'sensei' or 'chan/kun' in English sounds ridiculous and is extremely cringe-worthy. Nothing hipster or weeaboo about it.

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer jap with german/english subs. I only watch dubbed anime when it airs on tv otherwise only sub.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing at all..Those who insult you are just closed minded.

Deleted
    As someone else stated; you can't expect every anime to get a dub so listening to the Jap dub with subs of your language at least means you're a bit more prepared for it when there is an anime you really want to watch but it hasn't been dubbed in English.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    It depends on who has done the dub work as it seems most are still very poor quality. Especially anything Funimation has touched. They recycle the same 3 voice actors over and over to where I wont even touch non-funimation dubbed titles just in case I hear their voices again.

Dubs are nice because, in my case, you can put something on a second monitor while you work and not lose all context with reading subtitles. However, I feel that an easy 90% of all dubs are terrible and have irritating voice overs that are physically uncomfortable to listen to.

But, I'm not a purist that believes anyone that likes dubs is wrong. Watch what you prefer, it's that simple.