Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Parents voted against the liquid cooling. =/ Otherwise, I probably would.

Quote Originally Posted by dupti View Post
    Something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your parents probably don't know much about liquid cooling, show them this:

i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Deleted
    I'd go for a 7970 gpu instead of 770
    2GB vram for that price is meh, and will get old faster than the 7970 despite being newer
    For the cpu cooling, you're not gonna have to spend a lot of money on a giant heatsink or exquisite liquid cooling unless you're gonna mess around with the frequencies, and if that's not the case, you can spare additional money on buying a CPU with locked multiplier.
    Last edited by mmocc2b371ec35; 2013-07-14 at 02:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Too late, I needed to have this done pretty early and everything has been ordered and all that. =/

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for all the help and stuff, everyone.

Something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaro View Post
    I'd go for a 7970 gpu instead of 770
    2GB vram for that price is meh, and will get old faster than the 7970 despite being newer
    The 770 beats the 7970 Ghz in just about every thing, except for like... 3 screen BF3. And if you're doing that, you'll probably do SLI anyway. ANd it's cheaper than the 7970 Ghz.

For the cpu cooling, you're not gonna have to spend a lot of money on a giant heatsink or exquisite liquid cooling unless you're gonna mess around with the frequencies, and if that's not the case, you can spare additional money on buying a CPU with locked multiplier.
    Cheap cooling on a haswell doesn't fly very well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
    everything has been ordered and all that. =/
    What did you end up getting?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    What did you end up getting?
    Mostly what angrychickens and yurano suggested I get. It was actually a little cheaper than the site said it would be, not sure why, but I'm not going to complain.

- - - Updated - - -

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1gq1X
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1gq1X/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1gq1X/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($79.21 @ Outlet PC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($198.49 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($70.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($164.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Amazon)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($24.98 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.73 @ Outlet PC)
    Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS Meka Wired Gaming Keyboard ($59.99 @ Mechanical Keyboards)
    Mouse: Logitech G400 Wired Optical Mouse ($46.87 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1339.22
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-13 23:27 EDT-0400)

Obviously that's missing a few pieces, but I got the pieces that are missing from there, I got what yurano suggested for the missing parts (http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-400r and http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-pow...ply-p1750xxxb9).

Something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Excellent build mate, be sure to post pictures of the beast at "Post your gaming setup!" thread (http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...setup!/page571).
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Deleted
    SSD Is the biggest quality of life upgrade you can get. Seriously, You do not know what you're missing out on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffie View Post
    Excellent build mate, be sure to post pictures of the beast at "Post your gaming setup!" thread (http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...setup!/page571).
    When it comes and I get it all put together, I'll try to remember to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherrypowdah View Post
    SSD Is the biggest quality of life upgrade you can get. Seriously, You do not know what you're missing out on.
    I won't be missing out on anything soon.

Something.

Deleted
    The 770 beats the 7970 Ghz in just about every thing, except for like... 3 screen BF3. And if you're doing that, you'll probably do SLI anyway. ANd it's cheaper than the 7970 Ghz.

Cheap cooling on a haswell doesn't fly very well.
    Didn't price check properly it seems, at least here in Sweden 7970 is cheaper than 770
    And btw, the CM Hyper 212 are only $20 right now, and are known to cool more demanding CPUs than the 4670k, which has a TDP of only 84w unclocked.

Quote Originally Posted by JosephStylin View Post
    All in one liquid cooling is as easy as installing your standard CPU cooler IMO, but to answer your question, yes the H100i (the bigger of the two) fits just fine in a Corsair Carbide 400R. They even have a blog post on their website detailing the install.
    This question is not asked enough in help request threads.

OP, do you plan on ever overclocking? If so, slight or extreme?

Unless you are overclocking there is no reason to go with a "k" series cpu let alone a noctua cooler. High end coolers, CLC's and even custom loops are meant for enthusiasts who are either pushing clocks or striving for a build that is aesthetically pleasing.

Yes, your room temps do suck. Based on that note, I would recommend an aftermarket cooler. Would I jump straight to one of the top market coolers? No, there are far other cheaper options that will perform great outside of enthusiast overclocking.

EDIT - Regardless if you plan to overclock or not, with possible ambient room temps being as high as you said.. your CASE needs to be a priority. You need something that can BREATH well for the sake of your rig as a whole.
    Last edited by BruceG87; 2013-07-14 at 04:21 AM.
    i5-3570k @ 4.6Ghz | Phanteks TC14PE | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Gigabyte GTX 1080 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    Asus Xonar Essence STX | Crucial M4 256MB | Seasonic X760 Gold | Silverstone FT02

Asus PG258Q 240Hz 24.5" | Das Keyboard 4 Pro | Logitech G502 | Audiotechnica ATH-AD900X | Blue Yeti

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I got the $100 dollar case that was recommended in here, I'm not sure if I'll be overclocking, tbh, I don't really know how to do it, but assuming that heat isn't an issue at all, I probably will SLIGHTLY, but I'm overly cautious, so probably nothing extreme. If my computer won't operate very well without overclocking, I'll figure out how to do so and make it work out.

- - - Updated - - -

This one should be sufficient, shouldn't it?

Something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceG87 View Post
    This question is not asked enough in help request threads.
    It's not a question that needs asking. This is a WoW forum. Usually people buy a new system with the intent to play wow. The only determination of overclocking or not is budget. You simply don't not overclock at a certain budget level. So it doesn't need asking.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not a question that needs asking. This is a WoW forum. Usually people buy a new system with the intent to play wow. The only determination of overclocking or not is budget. You simply don't not overclock at a certain budget level. So it doesn't need asking.
    I wouldn't say don't, but to not overclock is extremely silly when theres tons of very easy to follow guides on how to actually do it. You pretty much can't screw it up.

Agreed 100%, but this is NOT a low budget build. Therefore the question should be asked, as money can be saved if overclocking is out of the question.
    EDIT - I misread your post completely Chazus. I disagree completely. If someone comes to me with a large budget and asks me to build them a PC, why would I have them spend extra cash if they have no intent of overclocking? To do otherwise would be outright foolish as the money could be spent elsewhere otherwise saved. You're supposed to prioritize a budget and use it wisely, not spend money for the sake of spending money.

Now Decagon answered my question, with possibly slight overclocking. Armed with that information, OP could save cash on a cheaper cooler if desired. The D14 is a beast but it's potential would be wasted on slight overclocking, even in a hot room.

OP could do just fine with a Xigmatech Gaia or a CM Hyper 212 Evo

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    I wouldn't say don't, but to not overclock is extremely silly when theres tons of very easy to follow guides on how to actually do it. You pretty much can't screw it up.
    There are a lot of variables that can in fact play in overclocking. To say "you pretty much can't screw it up" is rather foolish. If someone starts tweaking things without any information they can cause damage.

- - - Updated - - -

Decagon, the case you linked should be fine. Here are few tips should you find your rig running a little hot in your rather warm room.

Cable management!! A few zip ties can go a long ways toward case airflow. You can look through the massive "Post your gaming setup!" thread and see plenty of examples of cable management.

Fans! You may have to explore adding additional fans, or even replacing the stock ones. Note that you can have too many fans. Sometimes less is better. I suggest you WAIT UNTIL AFTER YOU BUILD YOUR RIG before exploring additional/replacement fans as you may honestly be completely fine with the stock setup. Besides, fans get expensive rather quick.
    Last edited by BruceG87; 2013-07-14 at 06:21 AM.
    i5-3570k @ 4.6Ghz | Phanteks TC14PE | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Gigabyte GTX 1080 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    Asus Xonar Essence STX | Crucial M4 256MB | Seasonic X760 Gold | Silverstone FT02

Asus PG258Q 240Hz 24.5" | Das Keyboard 4 Pro | Logitech G502 | Audiotechnica ATH-AD900X | Blue Yeti

10+ Year Old Account
    If someone comes to me with a large budget and asks me to build them a PC, why would I have them spend extra cash if they have no intent of overclocking? To do otherwise would be outright foolish as the money could be spent elsewhere otherwise saved. You're supposed to prioritize a budget and use it wisely, not spend money for the sake of spending money.
    Maybe I explained it poorly. What I meant was, after a certain budget level, OC is effectively mandatory for price/performance.

Anyone who says "I have a $1500 budget but don't want to overclock" is simply in the wrong. They're WELCOME to not overclock, but they will lose performance. They're wasting money, because they're spending the same amount on a lesser computer. I simply cannot, and would not, advise anyone with that kind of budget to not overclock at least some.

Of course, this is all considering gaming in particular, and especially WoW. If this were another website (like minecraft forums, which I also frequent), my answer may be different.

If someone said "My dad needs a computer for using email, we have a $1500 budget"... You simply don't spend $1500. You spend $600 and call it a day.

If someone does not want to overclock, and has a high budget, they either need to

A) Get over it and OC
    B) Accept less performance for the same cost
    C) Reduce budget to a non-OC range to match price/performance.

OP could do just fine with a Xigmatech Gaia or a CM Hyper 212 Evo
    Not on 'slight' (4.0-4.1) overclocks on Haswell. Especially not in a hot room. The choice they made, considering the budget, was a good one. I do not recommend Gaia's or EVO's on 4570K's anymore. At minimum, I usually pick a Noctua U12 or something cheaper than the D14.

If someone starts tweaking things without any information they can cause damage.
    Which is exactly why Killora mentioned all the guides. Anyone going into anything without information can screw things up. That's what we call an idiot. I don't think anyone here ever says "You should totally overclock without looking at a single guide. Just go hump bios settings until something pans out"

And he's right. After looking at a few guides... You pretty much can't screw it up. Crashing during trial and error fine tuning is not 'screwing it up'
    Last edited by chazus; 2013-07-14 at 07:25 AM.

Deleted
    do yourself a favor and get that monitor:

Monitor: Asus VS248H-P 24.0" Monitor ($159.99 @ Newegg)

it's slightly cheaper, slightly bigger and it's a charm of a monitor !

-snip
    It would seem you and I share greatly differing views on high end budgets when it comes to OC/Non-OC as well as optimal cooling solutions for a slight haswell overclock.

When I hear slight overclock, I do not jump right to a $70-80 cooler. Not even with it being a Haswell rig in a warm room. Hell, I think it is outright preposterous that someone recommended any form of a CLC for this scenario.

However, I will stop before I derail the thread any further. OP, you can't go wrong with Noctua but I personally believe you could save money with other options that will do just fine at stock and low overclocks with your 4670k. That money saved could be put toward other parts, saved all together or put toward an SSD (ofc with a little bit more of the budget spent as well) which is a huge quality of life improvement that I would recommend for any rig built with your kind of budget.

10+ Year Old Account
    It would seem you and I share greatly differing views on high end budgets when it comes to OC/Non-OC
    You cannot achieve the best performance, or price/performance without overclocking. Period. While someone can certainly opt to not overclock, they will not get the best price/performance about like... $900, which is the goal of every computer.

When I hear slight overclock, I do not jump right to a $70-80 cooler. Not even with it being a Haswell rig in a warm room. Hell, I think it is outright preposterous that someone recommended any form of a CLC for this scenario.
    Nor do I. I think a $50+ cooler is adequate. However reviews and test articles have proven that the cheaper $20-30 coolers are simply not adequate more often than not. While certainly not 'necessary', Liquid coolers have proven to be a boon on Haswell setups, and more effective at the higher clocks than air coolers.

or put toward an SSD
    They got an SSD >.>

Deleted
    Chazus, to be fair to Bruce, he did specifically mention low overclocks. However, I disagree with him over the importance of a strong overclock.