Poll: Would you want level-scaling (done right)?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Do you want level scaling in Azeroth?

I was thinking the other day how much I enjoy low level content, because it's more challenging in a simplistic way. Yes, the mechanics are simple and can't be compared to raid bosses at level 90. But the world is dangerous, and out to get you, when you're a low level. Not just a zone or a dungeon. The entire world. I think I'd enjoy it if Azeroth scaled your levels and power down, like Guild Wars 2 does.

There could be funny little low level raids, like Hogger's Lair. In fact, the entire game would immediately become available to the content designers, as they could place new content just about anywhere without having to explain themselves. Just as it should be!

You might say that it wouldn't make sense, because we're all mighty and able heroes now, who've fought the likes of the Lich King and Deathwing.
    Well, that doesn't matter in my opinion. Even in a fantasy setting, the greatest heroes can fall to the smallest of enemies. Like how Saruman, who is in fact a demigod, dies by Grima Wormtongue's dagger during the Scouring of the Shire. I think it would make perfect sense if all of Azeroth still challenged us to some degree.

Yes, good gear and a high real level should still give you a slight advantage. And new high level content should still be exclusive to those at level 90 who fought for great gear. But I see no reason why low level content shouldn't be available to high levels.

What do you think?

15+ Year Old Account
    I think if implemented right it could be awesome! Just add a. Few minor incentives and rewards for doing old content and you'll have ton of filler p stuff. It should work on a basis kind of like challenge modes though where your gear scales down so while you can max yourself a bit, you're never overdoing it, and even if you're 90 it would be instance or raid based not just level based. So the natural difficulty progression of raids would remain in tact to a certain extent.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

It would open up a ton of old content and raids for end game without the "best gear" rewards (played just for fun) and then that solves the issue of no end game besides dailys and max level raids.

I think a mentor system like Rift would work very well in WoW. I don't have a lot of experience with mentor systems in any game but in Rift I could down level myself to be the same as a friend and queue for dungeons together. They also held an event just over a week ago in one of the low level zones. There would be invasion events and players like me who were at max level could just down level to level 14 and take part in the event and gain rewards such as mounts etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Scale all areas up and make them all award, for level 90 players, the same gold and Lesser Charms that dailies do. Then, instead of a repetitive grind of the same quests every day, you could do a lot of different quests...still a grind, but less repetitive.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

For zones and instances, it'd be one of the smartest moves they could ever make.

As long as it's optional, not required when going through older zones.

Down-scaling would be wonderful. I always have a (Overly wishful thinking) opinion that they also should allow players to enable "Old-school" mode, where you could fill out talents like in the past, glyphs, etc... Obviously such a complicated system over leveling would be something based entirely on itself, in different realms.

However, optional is the biggest part of any kind of down-scaling system. Guild Wars 2 doesn't do this (I believe), and it can ruin a lot of progression you have obtained by being forced into a lower power level. To me, anyways.

10+ Year Old Account
    i would love it tbh =P doing loremaster without one shooting everything <3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    I subscribe to this. I'd like the choice if that's possible. I don't want to make a run into Elwynn Forest to collect peacebloom an epic experience of high difficulty as a regular thing. But there are times when I wouldn't mind it at all. Even if it wasn't a choice I'd probably be OK with seeing level 90 bears and twisted little men yelling at me about their candles that could be dangerous.

For instances and old raids, absolutely. Again, as a choice. I like to solo things but I would dearly love to run an old raid and experience even half of what it was like to run it back in the day.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    Agreed. Having the option to downscale yourself (upscaling mobs would cause issues for people legitimately trying to level) would be interesting, and make doing Loremaster a little less boring. Being able to restart zones upon completion would be interesting too, so you can redo all the questchains that you love.

As for rewards, gold and achievements are all I can really see working out. Otherwise it'll be deemed 'manditory' and people will complain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    . But there are times when I wouldn't mind it at all. Even if it wasn't a choice I'd probably be OK with seeing level 90 bears and twisted little men yelling at me about their candles that could be dangerous.

For instances and old raids, absolutely. Again, as a choice. I like to solo things but I would dearly love to run an old raid and experience even half of what it was like to run it back in the day.
    in Gw2 it's more like it's scaleing u down not the enemie's up, so everyone in elwynn forest get's down lvled too like 5 and their gear/stats down graded aswell, easier that way then scaleing the entire zone for each different person

10+ Year Old Account
    While I really like the scaling Guild Wars 2 has, it doesn't really fit in WoW, or it would be a very drastic change, I'm sure many won't like it.

Instead, I like to see more encounters that work like Omen during the Moon Festival Events (or however it was called).
    You could put in endless (dynamic) encounters that work on percentage levels. Monster hits you, you loose 5% health.
    Pick up the Monster-shooting-rifle and decrease it's health by 0.1 %. That would be the 'done right' thing in my opinion.
    Sing like no one is listening - Love like you've never been hurt
    Dance like no one is watching - Masturbate like no one else is on the bus

Deleted
    I would rather compress most of the leveling into a few zomes, say 6 or 7 and all the other zones are max level content following a live story similar to patch 5.1 krasarang dailies (do 5 dailies -> unique story quest). Fully completing one zone unlocks the next. Boom, solo content for everyone for months.

This would be great.

I think scaling zones and raids is a bit of a stretch, but scaling dungeons seems very doable. And if they decide to just keep pumping out scenarios, this is a good way to throw ~100 dungeons back into the mix for max level players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Again yes this would ensure that older raids can still be current with out a revamp. Just imagine AQ Level 90 10-25 mans it would reward something but I don't Believe it should be gear.There needs to be a bigger incentive for newly released raids than for older ones yet at the same time an incentive to even do the old raids........It is a very thin line that must be treaded carefully.

10+ Year Old Account
    For me, it would have to be optional as well. It'd definitely open up a lot of content and reduce burnout if you could just queue for random dungeon once you have the gear you need.

I'd rather they spent dev time on other things. But, if it was optional I'd be ok with it. I really wouldn't use it much personally though.

Hogger's Lair.

I would run the hell out of an instance like that. The mentor system sounds like an awesome idea in theory -- but how would your high-end gear transition in commensurate fashion to your level diminishing? Just seems like anyone who was a mentor would be insanely overpowered if they went down to a lower level.