Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ...
9
10
11
12
13
LastLast
  1. #201
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    Can Mik's Scrolling combat text put the "K" on gear? Having 200,000 int on a belt in a few more expansions is going to get tedious.
    It's usually not a good idea to quote someone that posted 200 posts and almost a month ago.

    Anyway, I suppose I just find all of this funny. "Yeah, 2,453,203 is too long of a number. Let's just call it 2453k."

    "How about just 2453?"

    "NOOOOOOOOOOOO-"

    I'm fairly neutral here, but leaning towards the squish due to simplicity. Even with the abbreviations, it feels better to deal 10 damage out of a 100hp target than 100 million out of a 1 billion hp target (most likely due to, as suggested by this thread, me being a simpleton who can't comprehend big numbers).

  2. #202
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    "I like big numbers, so I'm going to force people to spend hundreds of dollars to upgrade their computers just to continue playing."
    If u havn't already upgraded to 64bit system by now, that's ur choice. Most ppl does many other works aside from gaming. So to make those works simpler they upgrade to better PC. it's logical. if u can't play WoW on ur pc any more its not because of big numbers. My 5 yr old laptop, could handle upto cata just fine. but it was crying loud when MoP hit. u know why? its because the quality of graphical content increased much, which demands more power from ur PC. In sha fights my frame rate dropped to 5. now i have better PC and i can actually enjoy the fluent fights.

    One of the reasons u r supporting squish is it will increase the performance. Well i asked Mr. Processor, and he said 4k or 4B no matter to me, call me when its over 9,223,372,036,854,775,808. And if u have any illusion WoW will be going to get to even 1/100 of that limit in next 10 years, u r living in imaginary world.

    Also, those who says the squish would take resource to implement, i m sure none of u ever worked as a system admin for computer networks. Because it's what u can call "Sha of Nightmare" for any system admin. They wont ever going this way UNLESS, they ABSOLUTELY have to do it. Now consider the vast network system WoW have. its easy for u to say divide all X. You have no idea how tough it will be. Being 8yr+ game, like any other older system, wow has many patch works. smaller of which u know about "hot fix". and patchworks, most likely break after such division. So after squish, if suddenly u logged in and can't access ur bags any more, it will be frustrating like hell.

    Now here is a think i believe every body should understand. If u have a system that is already running fine, and after a drastic change, it is claimed to have same effect, what's the logic of spending time and effort to make the change? Any of u squish supporter couldn't show a logic as to why it NEEDS to be squished and how it will improve the game play for us. Oh i see lot of "Numbers get ridiculous", but that is opinion not a solid logic. Lucky for us, Bliz thinks the same, so squish is not any time soon. Squish wont be there unless it's truley needed, like the entire damage done on a night's run gets critically close to that 9,223,372,036,854,775,808 limit. Then they will have a solid reason and ppl will support them en mass, because they will start noticing the negative effect as well.

    Unless then, i m afraid we have to stick with "Big Numbers" like we r seeing now. And, until we really need squish due to system limitation, i m a hardcore anti-squisher!

  3. #203
    Quote Originally Posted by anjan011 View Post
    Ah i guess i failed to explain better as i was laughing hard i don't think it needs to written explicitly that to do something u need skill, if u want to do it better. Every one gets it eventually, those who doesn't don't advance. U also keep in mind to the context on which the comment was made
    Indeed, I didn't understand sarcasm >.< Sometimes it is hard to see it in such threads as this, when some people are honest about what they write no matter how ridiculous or stupid it would be.
    "I like big numbers, so I'm going to force people to spend hundreds of dollars to upgrade their computers just to continue playing."
    Why do we need to repeat that nonsence said by GC? Mathematical side of combat isn't something which puts most pressure on users' PCs. Neither does it put on servers directly due to "big" numbers.

    32-bit or 64-bit OS/CPU/whatever doesn't matter at all here. EVEN if it mattered... I live in country, where having good PC means you have very good income. The most garbage of PC you can get or find at someone's house - nothing has 32-bit OS (unless it is there due to some software compatibility issues). And "32-bit" CPUs are gone with Pentiums. If someone still uses Pentium as their PC (fantastic, I know), I assure you - he can't play WoW on it altogether...
    Last edited by Ferocity; 2013-08-07 at 05:40 AM.

  4. #204
    Quote Originally Posted by anjan011 View Post
    Bliz thinks the same
    Complete fail. I'm not going to bother linking all the Blizz posts again that completely contradict this. You've already demonstrated repeatedly across multiple threads that you don't care what Blizzard has to say.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    I'm determined to someday make Med'an awesome. (MickyNeilson)
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    ´So.. sorry to bring this up but..you know that .."thing" (Med'an).. is that "thing" cannon still?
    ...as much have some have wished otherwise, yes. (Loreology)

  5. #205
    Quote Originally Posted by lopk View Post
    It's usually not a good idea to quote someone that posted 200 posts and almost a month ago.

    Anyway, I suppose I just find all of this funny. "Yeah, 2,453,203 is too long of a number. Let's just call it 2453k."

    "How about just 2453?"

    "NOOOOOOOOOOOO-"

    I'm fairly neutral here, but leaning towards the squish due to simplicity. Even with the abbreviations, it feels better to deal 10 damage out of a 100hp target than 100 million out of a 1 billion hp target (most likely due to, as suggested by this thread, me being a simpleton who can't comprehend big numbers).
    Why isn't it a good idea? I didn't necro the thread.
    Perfect example of why "community" forums are poisonous to the health of a development team. These developers are wasting hundreds of hours trying to stem the tide of incessant bitchery that would never, ever abate so long as these entitled, unfortunate human beings don't get their way.

  6. #206
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    "I like big numbers, so I'm going to force people to spend hundreds of dollars to upgrade their computers just to continue playing."
    Game advances, so should your hardware.
    World advances, so should your other electronics.

  7. #207
    The Lightbringer Ermahgerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    3,410
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    What's to mention about it? People who enjoy old content don't want it to be "fixed" (if ever) if it breaks soloing or small grouping old content. Even if it's only fucked up for a week, that's a week people are paying to NOT do what they like doing because of some unnecessary change to the system. You can't just say "ignore that this will possibly fuck up what you like to do in the game." Sorry, doesn't work that way.
    Except right now loads of people aren't enjoying WoW anymore because of the huge numbers, me included. You can't just ignore those people just because a small group who likes to solo old content. If it takes 1 week to fix soloing old content when the item squish hits, it's well worth it. If you don't think it's worth it, then you're just being selfish and ignorant.

  8. #208
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Complete fail. I'm not going to bother linking all the Blizz posts again that completely contradict this. You've already demonstrated repeatedly across multiple threads that you don't care what Blizzard has to say.
    It wasn't addressed to me, but I'd like to ask - what do you believe more? I believe more in what hardware is actually capable of and not to some completely ridiculous myths from other reality.

    As I wrote, the only people who could have technical problems due to "big" numbers, are those who use Pentiums (even then - doubtfully). But you can't run WoW on Pentiums already. And by Pentiums I don't even mean re-branded crappy CPUs with 64-bit support, but those which were considered low-budget crappy CPUs yet 10 years ago and which were direct upgrades to 486.

    What concerns servers, Blizzard upgraded their servers at least once - in 2009, in WotLK. Using those Pentiums as servers in 2009 (I know it would be to laugh) would be much harder than impossible. Simply because those pre-rebranded Pentiums weren't produced anymore. Meanwhile serious server systems had 64-bit processors since 2000.

    I hope it closes all the "big numbers will make my PC explode" issues :)

  9. #209
    Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    Problem with the 'mega damage' concept is that 99k can mean anything from 99,000 to 9,999, unless it rounds up in which case it might be telling you you did more damage then you actually did.
    For you and those who have this problem understanding the "K and M system": wikipedia - metric prefix. For example: a "99k" means 99 000 mainly. But this has the range from 98 500 to 99 499 (and not 9 999, which would be 10k).

    The reason behind the item squish is not founded in the ignorance and personal preference of the players but in technical limitations of the WoW engine (and therefore the computers limitation). They already went to a system in MoP for a better readability with ' and other delimiters. And as several other people said: you can choose your own cosmetic addon to "lower" the numbers from "324 638" to "325k" (which is pretty nice I'd like to add).

  10. #210
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Complete fail. I'm not going to bother linking all the Blizz posts again that completely contradict this. You've already demonstrated repeatedly across multiple threads that you don't care what Blizzard has to say.
    Bliz didn't take much time to unconfirm this so called "squish" through GC. I truly don't care what bliz says. in fact most ppl don't. We r customers, bliz present's us something u provide feedback. Things with positive feedback gets implemented and things with poor feedback gets dumped. guess what basket "squish" thrown into? :P

  11. #211
    Quote Originally Posted by lopk View Post
    It's usually not a good idea to quote someone that posted 200 posts and almost a month ago.

    Anyway, I suppose I just find all of this funny. "Yeah, 2,453,203 is too long of a number. Let's just call it 2453k."

    "How about just 2453?"

    "NOOOOOOOOOOOO-"

    I'm fairly neutral here, but leaning towards the squish due to simplicity. Even with the abbreviations, it feels better to deal 10 damage out of a 100hp target than 100 million out of a 1 billion hp target (most likely due to, as suggested by this thread, me being a simpleton who can't comprehend big numbers).
    Actually necro is considered at least 3 months. And I disagree with such a concept regardless.

    And no, numbers are fine and readable for the mature brain.

  12. #212
    I agree numbers will get out of control and Blizzard should add k's and m's. It's the same thing but shorter. I rather see the environment than be bombarded by long number spam.

  13. #213
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferocity View Post
    It wasn't addressed to me, but I'd like to ask - what do you believe more? I believe more in what hardware is actually capable of and not to some completely ridiculous myths from other reality.

    As I wrote, the only people who could have technical problems due to "big" numbers, are those who use Pentiums (even then - doubtfully). But you can't run WoW on Pentiums already. And by Pentiums I don't even mean re-branded crappy CPUs with 64-bit support, but those which were considered low-budget crappy CPUs yet 10 years ago and which were direct upgrades to 486.

    What concerns servers, Blizzard upgraded their servers at least once - in 2009, in WotLK. Using those Pentiums as servers in 2009 (I know it would be to laugh) would be much harder than impossible. Simply because those pre-rebranded Pentiums weren't produced anymore. Meanwhile serious server systems had 64-bit processors since 2000.

    I hope it closes all the "big numbers will make my PC explode" issues
    Everything anjan011 said about "Blizz thinks the same" is complete bullshit.

    Blizzard has said that not having the squish is hurting the game. That hurt is only going to get worse.
    "I don't think Mists was hurt much from its absence, but it's still on the table for the future."

    Commas, K's and M's help, but aren't enough:
    "We’re trying the solution with commas, and K’s, and M’s, and to be honest, it helps a lot, and our hope is, by 6.0 or 7.0, players are demanding the item squish, and by then it’s not controversial at all. It’s like a celebration when we finally do it."

    They consider not squishing to be a problem:
    "We have considered this problem and we might reduce players' stats in the next expansion."

    They still want to do the squish:
    "We haven't given up on the idea of a squish"
    "Still we think there are a lot of good reasons to get numbers down to more parsable levels."
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2013-08-07 at 05:41 PM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    I'm determined to someday make Med'an awesome. (MickyNeilson)
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    ´So.. sorry to bring this up but..you know that .."thing" (Med'an).. is that "thing" cannon still?
    ...as much have some have wished otherwise, yes. (Loreology)

  14. #214
    Herald of the Titans SL1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois.
    Posts
    2,918
    Squish is not required or wanted. When Gc says we'll do it when people demand it. It encourages the vocal minority of squish supporters to become more vocal. I'm against it, I see no point in it except making a change for the sake of making a change.

  15. #215
    Quote Originally Posted by El Plastico View Post
    Squish is not required or wanted. When Gc says we'll do it when people demand it. It encourages the vocal minority of squish supporters to become more vocal. I'm against it, I see no point in it except making a change for the sake of making a change.
    GC didn't say they'll do it when players demand it. He said they hope players are on their side when they do it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    I'm determined to someday make Med'an awesome. (MickyNeilson)
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    ´So.. sorry to bring this up but..you know that .."thing" (Med'an).. is that "thing" cannon still?
    ...as much have some have wished otherwise, yes. (Loreology)

  16. #216
    Field Marshal Pappo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dancing with Manatees
    Posts
    89
    I'm pretty sure that at programming level it's going to become a need in the next 2 or 3 exps

  17. #217
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    "I like big numbers, so I'm going to force people to spend hundreds of dollars to upgrade their computers just to continue playing."
    There have not been any 32bit consumer PCs for the better part of this decade. If anybody needs to upgrade his hardware for 64bit, he's probably literally running the game on a toaster.

  18. #218
    Herald of the Titans SL1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois.
    Posts
    2,918
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    GC didn't say they'll do it when players demand it. He said they hope players are on their side when they do it.
    From your own post.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    They haven't given up on it. It's still very much on the table.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    We haven't given up on the idea of a squish, though TBH we were hoping to see even more demand for from players. (Source)
    So they want the squish, but many players don't, and they're hoping to drum up more support. That was the entire reason they put out the initial and ridiculous blog that started the squish debate.
    Last edited by SL1200; 2013-08-07 at 08:11 PM.

  19. #219
    Like many people I quit WoW months ago, but I think they should do item squish ASAP, preferably during next expansions Beta.

    Why are people so scared of this?

    lol @ hitting for millions of damage just a couple expansions in... its obviously inevitable. Guess they don't want a backlash and can play it safe not to do it. But come on get with reality... jumping 300% in health/damage every 1.5 years is not sustainable.
    Last edited by Trakanonn; 2013-08-07 at 08:13 PM.
    Free-To-Play is the future.

  20. #220
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    "I like big numbers, so I'm going to force people to spend hundreds of dollars to upgrade their computers just to continue playing."
    Your computer can handle numbers fine with absolutly no issue, as long as you don't change your variable type.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •