Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    Problem with the 'mega damage' concept is that 99k can mean anything from 99,000 to 9,999, unless it rounds up in which case it might be telling you you did more damage then you actually did.
    For you and those who have this problem understanding the "K and M system": wikipedia - metric prefix. For example: a "99k" means 99 000 mainly. But this has the range from 98 500 to 99 499 (and not 9 999, which would be 10k).

The reason behind the item squish is not founded in the ignorance and personal preference of the players but in technical limitations of the WoW engine (and therefore the computers limitation). They already went to a system in MoP for a better readability with ' and other delimiters. And as several other people said: you can choose your own cosmetic addon to "lower" the numbers from "324 638" to "325k" (which is pretty nice I'd like to add).

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Complete fail. I'm not going to bother linking all the Blizz posts again that completely contradict this. You've already demonstrated repeatedly across multiple threads that you don't care what Blizzard has to say.
    Bliz didn't take much time to unconfirm this so called "squish" through GC. I truly don't care what bliz says. in fact most ppl don't. We r customers, bliz present's us something u provide feedback. Things with positive feedback gets implemented and things with poor feedback gets dumped. guess what basket "squish" thrown into? :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lopk View Post
    It's usually not a good idea to quote someone that posted 200 posts and almost a month ago.

Anyway, I suppose I just find all of this funny. "Yeah, 2,453,203 is too long of a number. Let's just call it 2453k."

"How about just 2453?"

"NOOOOOOOOOOOO-"

I'm fairly neutral here, but leaning towards the squish due to simplicity. Even with the abbreviations, it feels better to deal 10 damage out of a 100hp target than 100 million out of a 1 billion hp target (most likely due to, as suggested by this thread, me being a simpleton who can't comprehend big numbers).
    Actually necro is considered at least 3 months. And I disagree with such a concept regardless.

And no, numbers are fine and readable for the mature brain.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

I agree numbers will get out of control and Blizzard should add k's and m's. It's the same thing but shorter. I rather see the environment than be bombarded by long number spam.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferocity View Post
    It wasn't addressed to me, but I'd like to ask - what do you believe more? I believe more in what hardware is actually capable of and not to some completely ridiculous myths from other reality.

As I wrote, the only people who could have technical problems due to "big" numbers, are those who use Pentiums (even then - doubtfully). But you can't run WoW on Pentiums already. And by Pentiums I don't even mean re-branded crappy CPUs with 64-bit support, but those which were considered low-budget crappy CPUs yet 10 years ago and which were direct upgrades to 486.

What concerns servers, Blizzard upgraded their servers at least once - in 2009, in WotLK. Using those Pentiums as servers in 2009 (I know it would be to laugh) would be much harder than impossible. Simply because those pre-rebranded Pentiums weren't produced anymore. Meanwhile serious server systems had 64-bit processors since 2000.

I hope it closes all the "big numbers will make my PC explode" issues
    Everything anjan011 said about "Blizz thinks the same" is complete bullshit.

Blizzard has said that not having the squish is hurting the game. That hurt is only going to get worse.
    "I don't think Mists was hurt much from its absence, but it's still on the table for the future."

Commas, K's and M's help, but aren't enough:
    "We’re trying the solution with commas, and K’s, and M’s, and to be honest, it helps a lot, and our hope is, by 6.0 or 7.0, players are demanding the item squish, and by then it’s not controversial at all. It’s like a celebration when we finally do it."

They consider not squishing to be a problem:
    "We have considered this problem and we might reduce players' stats in the next expansion."

They still want to do the squish:
    "We haven't given up on the idea of a squish"
    "Still we think there are a lot of good reasons to get numbers down to more parsable levels."
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2013-08-07 at 05:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Squish is not required or wanted. When Gc says we'll do it when people demand it. It encourages the vocal minority of squish supporters to become more vocal. I'm against it, I see no point in it except making a change for the sake of making a change.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by El Plastico View Post
    Squish is not required or wanted. When Gc says we'll do it when people demand it. It encourages the vocal minority of squish supporters to become more vocal. I'm against it, I see no point in it except making a change for the sake of making a change.
    GC didn't say they'll do it when players demand it. He said they hope players are on their side when they do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure that at programming level it's going to become a need in the next 2 or 3 exps

"I like big numbers, so I'm going to force people to spend hundreds of dollars to upgrade their computers just to continue playing."
    There have not been any 32bit consumer PCs for the better part of this decade. If anybody needs to upgrade his hardware for 64bit, he's probably literally running the game on a toaster.

10+ Year Old Account
    GC didn't say they'll do it when players demand it. He said they hope players are on their side when they do it.
    From your own post.

They haven't given up on it. It's still very much on the table.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    We haven't given up on the idea of a squish, though TBH we were hoping to see even more demand for from players. (Source)
    So they want the squish, but many players don't, and they're hoping to drum up more support. That was the entire reason they put out the initial and ridiculous blog that started the squish debate.
    Last edited by SL1200; 2013-08-07 at 08:11 PM.

Like many people I quit WoW months ago, but I think they should do item squish ASAP, preferably during next expansions Beta.

Why are people so scared of this?

lol @ hitting for millions of damage just a couple expansions in... its obviously inevitable. Guess they don't want a backlash and can play it safe not to do it. But come on get with reality... jumping 300% in health/damage every 1.5 years is not sustainable.
    Last edited by Trakanonn; 2013-08-07 at 08:13 PM.
    Free-To-Play is the future.

"I like big numbers, so I'm going to force people to spend hundreds of dollars to upgrade their computers just to continue playing."
    Your computer can handle numbers fine with absolutly no issue, as long as you don't change your variable type.

10+ Year Old Account
    From your own post.
    Them wanting to do the squish is not dependent on player demand. If it were they wouldn't have put the legwork into doing the squish back in 2011 when so many players were opposed to it. And they wouldn't have been continuously pushing for it. They are trying to get players on their side for when they do the squish. "We’re trying the solution with commas, and K’s, and M’s, and to be honest, it helps a lot, and our hope is, by 6.0 or 7.0, players are demanding the item squish, and by then it’s not controversial at all. It’s like a celebration when we finally do it."
    "We haven't given up on the idea of a squish"
    "Still we think there are a lot of good reasons to get numbers down to more parsable levels."
    "We have considered this problem and we might reduce players' stats in the next expansion."
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2013-08-07 at 08:15 PM.

i read somewere that blizz had taken this under consideration, aka they have it in their mind, and might reduce general stats or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trakanonn View Post
    Like many people I quit WoW months ago, but I think they should do item squish ASAP, preferably during next expansions Beta.

lol @ hitting for millions of damage just a couple expansions in... its obviously inevitable. Guess they don't want a backlash and can play it safe not to do it. But come on get with reality... jumping 300% in health/damage is not sustainable.
    Blizzard should concentrate on the subscribers they have, and not chase people who already quit.

15+ Year Old Account
    We could also really mess the whole thing up and show what % of the mob / boss hp we took off :P

Imagin seing the following

.5%
    .5%
    .5%
    *1%* (OMG a crit)

Now that would really mess people up :P

and naturally when out in a level 5 area at max level
    10000%
    :P

Personally I hope they do a percentage based dquish that can also be applied to all NPC's so that we can still go back say to lvl 60 raids at 90 and be vastly superior > there "we can scalle you up in those raids" current thoguht process! Id rather just nerf EVERYTHING numberwise and keep it clean!
    Last edited by Odina; 2013-08-07 at 08:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard should concentrate on the subscribers they have, and not chase people who already quit.
    That's a bad business plan. Focusing on trying to keep those you have can only lead to losses because people will leave no matter what. The best plan is to focus on bringing new people to the game and bringing back those you have lost, that way the game grows.

The constant growth of the game from Vanilla to WotLK wasn't because nobody left the game. 2x as many people had quit the game than were actively subscribed in 2009. The game grew because more people came in than those who left.
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2013-08-07 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakanonn View Post

lol @ hitting for millions of damage just a couple expansions in... its obviously inevitable. Guess they don't want a backlash and can play it safe not to do it. But come on get with reality... jumping 300% in health/damage every 1.5 years is not sustainable.
    Actually, you can keep that up for a pretty long time. There's no upper cap to numbers.

I doubt the item squish will ever be brought in as many will be left feeling rather un-epic when all there stats get crunched especially each expansion is designed to make you feel more powerful not less. Of course I could be wrong but time and the next expansion will tell for sure mean time as one of first posters said just download an addon which put k onto the dps meters

10+ Year Old Account
    That's a bad business plan. Focusing on trying to keep those you have can only lead to losses. The best plan is to focus on bringing new people to the game and bringing back those you have lost, that way the game grows.
    No actually, making your current customers happy helps grow your customer base. If the subscribers are happy they'll tell their friends good things about wow and those people might be inclined to try the game for the first time, or even return to the game.

I just don't see a lot of people going out and saying man this game is so much better now that they squished the stats, you should really come back.