First Boss of TOT and Cooldowns(heroic)UH

When do you guys pull your cooldowns on this fight? start of fight or inside the puddle?

I tried to follow Dnor which has the current record and If Iam correct he pulls both army and Garg at the first pool.
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...0/?s=188&e=223

How do you guys do?

I used army on pull as always and gargoyle at 1st pool just cuz we have heroism up at that point iirc, just gotta get lucky with procs in pool and you'll go HAM
    Last edited by Dnor; 2013-07-14 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashi View Post
    When do you guys pull your cooldowns on this fight? start of fight or inside the puddle?

I tried to follow Dnor which has the current record and If Iam correct he pulls both army and Garg at the first pool.
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...0/?s=188&e=223

How do you guys do?
    Army + Prepot on the pull; get my first opener with Plague Strike > Scourge Strike > Festering Strike X2, then go at it until I hit feather at 10 stacks, reapply with another Plague Strike and maintain until the first puddle.

Puddle hits, Heroism goes out, I pop Frenzy + Gargoyle and my second Potion; and I basically drop into Standard Unholy, belting out six ScS for every FeS Cycle, and typically my feather will proc right as Ionization Hits, I prevent it with AMS, then reapply with Outbreak and empty my runes > Empower Rune Weapon to stack FeS. I go into the first lightening storm with about 1:05 on my disease timers, and I play standard Festerblight from there out.

I suppose you could hold the Army of the Dead cast until the first puddle as well if you like. I'm still unsure if the ghouls will get Fluidity, I don't pay all that much attention to my pet's damage there.
    Zombie Vampire Werewolf

army+prepot on pull, start of with ub, frenzy+gargoyle as soon as in melee range, re apply dots when feathers gets to 10, usually with around 2-3 stacks of rampage, then hope to god my feather procs again when going into puddle and just make sure i will have strong diseases up enough to die just at the right time then switch to normal unholy. use pot whenever its off cd when a trinket is up

You should not just follow ranking players because they aren't always doing the encounter "properly".

For instance, if you kill the boss in somewhere around 3:30, popping gargoyle and UF on the pull will let you get a second usage which should outweigh using them in the puddle. For a first kill? Probably army on the pull and cds in every puddle that you can.

If you're doing festerblight, apply strong diseases on the pull, don't extend it too much, and attempt to apply stronger in the puddle if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Murdos View Post
    Puddle hits, Heroism goes out, I pop Frenzy + Gargoyle and my second Potion;
    using frenzy during bloodlust is a waste

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    I cycle Frenzy in as Heroism has roughly 8~ seconds left on it, so I spend the last of the puddle with it. I tend to basically spend the entire first puddle more or less 'Lusted' that way, but even if I clip it close, it's not that much of a waste. I'm good on reflexes and I play with a low latency, about 50-60ms, so I can hit almost every GCD in that short overlap.

Edit: let me break it down a bit more clearly.

30s into the fight Jinrohk casts Thundering Throw, it's got a 1s~ travel time, and stuns the tank for 6 seconds, so at roughly 37 seconds the boss is standing near the first pool, and we cast heroism.

Heroism lasts for 40 seconds, my Garg and other CDs go up then. So if I totally waited out heroism I'd have roughly 15 seconds only of unlusted time, and it's not hard to play for about 10~ seconds with the extra 20% haste. So at the 70 second mark, 20 seconds before Lightening storm and just about when my Feather's got the second proc, I then use Frenzy, and they only overlap for roughly 8~ considering my low latency.

I can use the last few seconds of Frenzy while running out for Lightening Storm to get two or three more FeS on the boss outside the pool to extend diseases.
    Last edited by Murdos; 2013-07-14 at 11:54 PM.
    Zombie Vampire Werewolf

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post

If you are doing festerblight, UF+Bloodlust is fine. If not, you tend to cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Nangz View Post
    If you are doing festerblight, UF+Bloodlust is fine. If not, you tend to cap.
    ... I guess I could have said that, couldn't I?

FeS spam does dramatically lower your required GCD numbers, doesn't it?
    Zombie Vampire Werewolf

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Murdos View Post
    ... I guess I could have said that, couldn't I?

FeS spam does dramatically lower your required GCD numbers, doesn't it?
    Of course.

FeS vs SS is leaving me quite confused in general atm. Outside of raids I rarely seem to see SS beating FeS in DPE (Damage Per Execute) and even in a raid environment the damage seems negligible enough that it's more or less always trying to run some kinda Festerblight rotation to keep buffed Diseases rolling. In once sense I guess this might be working as intended, I certainly feel like I'm being rewarded for making sure I have strong diseases rolling on high HP targets and we've all been bitching about how DK's might not be rewarding enough (or do we think this is just limited to Frost?).

Either way as Haste rises then Rune costs don't seem to matter as much which makes SS more and more redundant and even if the math might show a slight lead for SS in SS vs FeS it's not satisfying game play. So am I wrong here or what?

Even with 0 mastery SS should be about 10% ahead of FeS and we're far from being able to just spam FeS and even if we could reach it, haste would be devalued to a point you don't want to have that much.

Also we Don't have a new feather for the next content, the crit trinket is very nice to roll dots with like 60% crit but without feather they simply lack in power, the 12k str proccs from the other trinkets are currently not really working as they procc maybe every 3 minutes for 10 secs, also the low duration makes it hard to get it synched with the crit thing overall - so if we don't keep the feather festerblight is to question anyway.

For the rest is that the maximizing of festerblight does not only contain rolling powerful dots but knowing when to extend that you can make use of FeS with deathrunes to get 6 ss in high stacks of the feather for example and overall trying to use FeS when most proccs are down and get bursts through ss/dc spamming when trinkets are up. I would also even considerate letting them fall of to get out more SS and time it so that you can put them up again with similar power right away.
    Overwise the gain of festerblight isn't that big, because outside of being over gcd locked, which surely happens from time to time, you have to compare 2 SS vs FeS + 2 dot ticks (of both dots of course) dmg increase from rolling them compared to not rolling them. And its not that you couldn't achieve a realtivly good uptime of powered dots without festerblight, the feather normally doesn't proc that rarely.

Yes, SS should deal more damage per execute than FeS in nearly all situations. However, under both bloodlust and unholy frenzy, you can choose to maximize scourge strike usage or use festering strike. If one uses scourge strike you will either cap on runes or cap on runic power ( depending on which you choose to dump.) and sometimes you will cap on both! ( If you are spending chain sudden doom procs).

In a situation where you lose significant resources by maximizing scourge strike, using FeS is a suitable alternative. In addition, just because you have UF and Bloodlust overlapped, doesn't mean you will cap resources. As someone who runes runic corruption, I find that at times, low procs allow me to spam SS during UF and bloodlust without capping. Its all about feel and not wasting resources and if you are doing festerblight? FeS spam is extremely beneficial.

Thanks Nangz, that was actually useful input.

how much of a difference does hero and/or UF make for army of the dead? i usually save mine for her and end up using it midfight (first pool in this case ), so im not sure if the initial str procs are more valuable for it, as opposed to haste.