Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Simply by ignoring trash talk makes things easier. Everyone should roll a tank or two, then they would understand why some tanks stop tanking when someone ninja pulls etc, it's just plain annoying but most of the times ignoring useless talk makes things easier - tank->kill->loot->yaaaay.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JackTheLad View Post
    Tank is a personality able to endure both enemy and friendly fire.
    Wisest words ever said on this forum! lol

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't worry, only a million more of them, along with DPS needing on your Tank loot so they can hop into LFR and afk. Also the Healers that decide to go DPS and tell undergeared DPS to heal. The life of a tank is fun.
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

It's a bit sad to see so many people in this thread advise the OP to not talk, ignore chat, not care what others think etc. Then again, I suppose this is the efficient way to deal with toxic players nowadays, with the LFG tools available.

OP - don't give up. Tanking is awesome. It's the players that choose to be jerks; nothing to do with the role they play. You might get the impression tanks are more arrogant, but it's mostly because in almost every group tanks are the most visible and you notice their behaviour the most.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heh, yeah. There's bad things for tanks.

I just put on some music and go with my speed, if the DPS ninja pulls or anything, then they'll have to pay the price. As a paladin, you can handle quite alot. Just some group members expects that everything will be available if needed, such as the OP mentioned, Hammer of Righteous.

It's just, stand strong and firm. Don't become like some others. There's 3 kind of tanks during levelling. The grumpy/annoyed ones, the ones the takes their time and do what is actually to be done... and then the ones thast gets scared away from tanking due to other peoples interactions with him.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Aaaand that's why Paladins are/were awesome.
    There's really two options: 1) You pull a crap ton of mobs, get close to the party and then bubble to make them wipe. 2) This used to be awesome back in TBC, you pull the boss and all the possible adds you can find and bubblehearth to safety

But then again, there's the freaking LFG tool so you can't make people simply disband because they don't want to spend an hour looking for a tank :/ But yeah, you can still kill them around a bit.

Today playing tank is much easier than tanking in vanilla and TBC. But I think the problem is the new healer's bad manner.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't tank often but when I do I often lay some ground rules before the dungeon begins. I know its super annoying a lot of the time for people but hey...

The tank and healer dictate the pace of the dungeon. Tank is sole puller. If you don't like it or don't follow my requests, I will leave. I am not going to get abused in a game that i pay for by some 15 year old idiot. Too old and too little patience and time for that.

Regardless of your job in the party (tank dps healer), if someone is a jerk - they will pick on you.

Ignore list helps, kick voting them helps, or just continuing the instance without paying attention to what they are saying.

What i can tell you, as far as tanks go, is that you need to strike a balance between fast and big pack pulls - and the maximum capabilities of your healer and dps.

Why did I stop tanking dungeons since Cata? Cause of either DPS ninja-pulling or Plate DPS always NEEDING on TANKING gear/trinkets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its true. As a tank, you need your jimmies to remain thoroughly unrustled. Be as stone-faced hardboiled as your armor rating, my friend.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

I've put my tank on the back burner just now. I will tank, love it, then it will start getting to me and I will quit, but I the urge to tank will get too much and I will jump back in.

What annoys me is the ninja pullers. I used to just let them go and die to teach them. Sadly with most cata and mop hcs, they get by fine without me, on trash at least, which sucks big time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Falconblade View Post
    I just generally respond with "If you want to Tank, go for it" and watch them die.
    That used to be a viable solution, but nowadays even the most fail of hunters and mages can essentially solo low-level dungeons. The days of pulling aggro leading to instant death are LONG gone, at least while leveling.

This is probably the most frustrating thing for me while leveling a tank, everybody else wants to pull and do your job for you. People just go crazy attacking anything that moves without really allowing you to get things done and learn how to fulfill your role. You don't really get the full picture until you start to get close to max level, unfortunately.

So you've got 75 levels of people yelling at you for going too slow, yelling at you for going too fast, yelling at you for pulling too much, yelling at you for pulling too little, other people pulling mobs from who knows where, facepulling even more mobs, people who pull half the dungeon with their pet, DPS who think that stealing your aggro actually makes them good dps, and then Blizzard scratches their heads and wonders why there's a tank shortage and nobody wants to do it.

Deleted
    Remember that you are there to lead the group and that most issues easily can be settled if you keep your temper. Instead of "FU STOP PULLING DUMBASS!!!", or responding to stuff like that healer said by rage quitting, a simple; "guys, it might take two minutes longer than you are use to but let me pull at a rate that I am comfortable with, in the end it might even turn out to be the speediest option. =)".

Macro that, but with proper grammar and language, and I promise you that you'll have the majority of the group on your side and that foul language soon will change to humble tips and requests.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sthu View Post
    Remember that you are there to lead the group
    No, you're there to tank the mobs. The group leader is there to lead the group.

This is part of the problem - every raiding tank knows that they are expected on launch day to know the fine details and a good strategy of every fight in the instance, and that if they make a mistake and die then they're awful but if a dps or healer does it then it counts as a learning curve and a mistake. People expect the tank to do everything and whilst most of the tanks who've been doing it for years and are established have and can do this easily and have no problems taking a leadership and tactical role; people coming into it new who then get people that expect that from a tank and then get arsey when they can't deliver the whole package, is extraordinarily offputting. The expectation is not fair and does not reflect reality.

Back at Cata start I had that. I've been since BC and know what I'm doing. I'd been bear tanking in WOTLK too. Dinged, started a heroic dungeon with the guild. This was when Swipe and Thrash had a shared CD and bears were going mad and getting AOE aggro was nigh on impossible if the dps outgeared you and didn't use threat drops. I had a mage in the guild who was just treating it like a WOTLK heroic and getting upset at how holding aggro was a nightmare, kept dieing and then became patronising. The tank doesn't need to be in control of the group but he does need to be in control of the enemies, and when that was more difficult, getting dps berating you who did nothing to help themselves almost made me quit bear tanking.

It's so demoralizing and you don't realise until you're actually struggling yourself
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    So by doing that you made him know he really pissed you off, which is exacly what he wanted, it's better to just ignore those assholes and act like nothing happened.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zubacz View Post
    It's a bit sad to see so many people in this thread advise the OP to not talk, ignore chat, not care what others think etc. Then again, I suppose this is the efficient way to deal with toxic players nowadays, with the LFG tools available.

OP - don't give up. Tanking is awesome. It's the players that choose to be jerks; nothing to do with the role they play. You might get the impression tanks are more arrogant, but it's mostly because in almost every group tanks are the most visible and you notice their behaviour the most.
    There's a difference in ignoring specific people, and ignoring chat. I often have fun little conversations while running instances (something that do annoy some people as it "slow us down"). I see no reason to rise to abuse however. People shouting at you, complaining or whining? I just leave them at it. It's not worth my effort.

When I get in a group with a "pull faster, im teh best"-type of player, who ninja pulls groups before im ready(often ranged dps, sorry guys) I let him face tank a pack or two, and let him die, before picking up the packs.
    That normally helps on bad behaviour from impatient "elitists" :-)

I seldom ignore people, because I find some weird amusement in listenings to their ingnorant stupidities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by panzerfar View Post
    When I get in a group with a "pull faster, im teh best"-type of player, who ninja pulls groups before im ready(often ranged dps, sorry guys) I let him face tank a pack or two, and let him die, before picking up the packs.
    That normally helps on bad behaviour from impatient "elitists" :-)

I seldom ignore people, because I find some weird amusement in listenings to their ingnorant stupidities.
    TANKS : not every1 who pulls for u is an asshole who hates your guts, maybe they see that the instance can safely go faster, i think ur reaction to this situation is extremely ignorant unless they are wiping the group. Tanks are NOT king shit and neither are dps, stop feeling so self-entitled, if things are going fine, let it be and maybe try to go faster. Coming from someone who tanked for 6 yrs and now dps's and pulls for the tank when necessary.

Deleted
    Bad experience but bad reaction on your side.

A tank is supposed to take hits.. how can you hope to tank Garrosh in a future.. if a random useless healer gets you so upset that you gotta rage quit ?

Grow a thick skin ... you know .. the essential to be a tank !

This 100 times.