Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Now I sort of get why so many tanks are jerks.....

I started a tank this week.... a Tauren pally.

I have never really been a tank in 8 years, though I did try it before but I was pretty bad, so I gave it up.

So today, I was tanking my 2nd dungeon - Deadmines - and the healer DC'd. We were at the section in the foundry..... Literally within seconds of a new healer joining us the new healer says "Get tanking you fat ass cow". And then he starts telling me to use the "AOE HAMMER", and get my shit together.... well, what the dumbass didn't get was that that doesn't come until level 20, and I was level 18. Still am, in fact.

So, I got pissed and told him to kiss my fat cow ass and I rage quit...... which sucked because nobody else was complaining, and I sort of screwed them, but I'm not about to help some idiot who wants to be a jerk, and especially so since he doesn't even know I CAN'T cast, as he called it, the "AOE HAMMER".

I don't think I have the temperament to be a tank..... especially if I have 72 more levels of idiots.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by VeganHunter View Post

I have never really been a tank in 8 years, though I did try it before but I was pretty bad, so I gave it up.

So today, I was tanking my 2nd dungeon - Deadmines - and the healer DC'd. We were at the section in the foundry..... Literally within seconds of a new healer joining us the new healer says "Get tanking you fat ass cow". And then he starts telling me to use the "AOE HAMMER", and get my shit together.... well, what the dumbass didn't get was that that doesn't come until level 20, and I was level 18. Still am, in fact.

So, I got pissed and told him to kiss my fat cow ass and I rage quit...... which sucked because nobody else was complaining, and I sort of screwed them, but I'm not about to help some idiot who wants to be a jerk, and especially so since he doesn't even know I CAN'T cast, as he called it, the "AOE HAMMER".

I don't think I have the temperament to be a tank..... especially if I have 72 more levels of idiots.
    I just generally respond with "If you want to Tank, go for it" and watch them die. When I lvled my Tank (Warrior) some Healers are idiots and want me to speed up. The moment a mob dies I auto loot and move to the next.

Deleted
    That kind of sucks, douches like that are everywhere though. I'd recommend just moving on. I usually find healers to be the kind people though.

Welcome to online communities, people are jerks, I bet this same player would start griefing DPS if they weren't pulling the maximum he's ever seen in a random group.

If none of the other players were giving trouble you should have just vote kicked him...

Don't let other people push your buttons.

The healer was a jerk, made a specific decision to be a jerk, everyone in the group thought he was a jerk, and that was only on him. But you did something wrong: you let his crap get to you. Don't do that. If you /ignore him or vtk him, you win. If you argue back, you lose. Or in this case, the whole party loses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zdrasti View Post
    When a homeless person is rambling in the streets, it's better to ignore them than argue with them. On the internets it's clearly better to spend an entire week proving them wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you are bipolar dude... When I played, I didn't give 2 shits what people said, but then again I was the hardcore player and would mass pull back to back to back. If someone tried to call me a noob or said I was bad, I wouldn't care because I know i'm better than them and that their words are nothing to me. The fact that you raged because he said you were bad is kinda sad. You wasted your time over nothing, over someone who doesn't care about you, but you let their words matter. If it's a shitty person, same goes for their words... if someone came up to you irl and said you were a failure and should kill yourself, would you? Just do your own thing and ignore people who annoy you.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by Auloria View Post

The healer was a jerk, made a specific decision to be a jerk, everyone in the group thought he was a jerk, and that was only on him. But you did something wrong: you let his crap get to you. Don't do that. If you /ignore him or vtk him, you win. If you argue back, you lose. Or in this case, the whole party loses.
    You are right.... but I am just learning, and the game needs more tanks.... personally my only gripe with tanks really, is those that roll need on everything.

I should have just moved on, but I was so pissed.

you could have made a point to go really slow until he left, or if he started pulling for you; let him die. /ignore is your friend, it prevents you from grouping with them in the future ...

just get used to what you can get away with; usually by mass pulling mobs in the world, using all of your abilities, then you'll be confident tanking in instances, and it will make it easier for you to ignore stupid people, because you'll have the confidence and experience. Tanking all that stuff at low levels is really easy, actually, once you get past your own mental barrier

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    I think you are bipolar dude... When I played, I didn't give 2 shits what people said, but then again I was the hardcore player and would mass pull back to back to back. If someone tried to call me a noob or said I was bad, I wouldn't care because I know i'm better than them and that their words are nothing to me. The fact that you raged because he said you were bad is kinda sad. You wasted your time over nothing, over someone who doesn't care about you, but you let their words matter. If it's a shitty person, same goes for their words... if someone came up to you irl and said you were a failure and should kill yourself, would you? Just do your own thing and ignore people who annoy you.
    \

I don't believe you actually know what bi polar means.... and yes, I do..... my sister in law was bi polar with major self esteem issues.... she killed herself via a drug overdose.

I didn't even last all the way through Vanilla WoW as a tank. I've been playing my warrior as my main since Vanilla, but I started bouncing back and forth between arms/fury from TBC onward.

My guild in Vanilla was more of a friends/social guild that wasn't big enough to do all-guild dungeon runs, so I always ended up tanking for pugs. At some point, I decided that I'd grouped with one too many idiot mages (and various other classes, but mages seemed to be the worst from my experience) who would go into places like Undead Strat with the "OMG GO GO GO GO GO" attitude, run ahead of me spamming every AoE they had before I got so much as an autoattack off (much less wait for Sunders on anything), then proceed to blame it on me and say I'm too slow because I wanted to let my healer finish drinking first.

The only times I've done any tanking since BC were when my guild desperately needed me to do it.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2013-07-14 at 08:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't let it get to you. Such people are rare. They really are. Just ignore the healer or better yet, vote kick him (works 95% of the time) and then ignore, so you don't run into him again. It's hard to be a new tank when you are being compared to some other tank they were with that were radiating awesome. Such is the realm of the tank, which is why they are rare breed. Many can't handle it. I can, but nothing more than 5mans. LFR scares the shit out of me.

If you don't know more than someone else, you're a total noob. If you know more than them, you're a no-lifer.

Playing a tank sucks ass in random groups. It's normally just easier to turn off party/instance chat and go at your own pace. Check to see if the healer's got 75% or more mana before pulling a boss or there's at least 2 DPS when you pull and you'll do fine.

If you're only leveling a tank to get faster LFR ques though, don't bother. Stick to DPS. Sure you'll find groups quicker, but you're also meant to know that raid inside and out and lead the party. If you're only interested in looking out for yourself and getting gear for yourself quicker, don't play as a tank. If you're leveling one for your Guild, keep at it, since they'll welcome that someone has put the time and effort into helping out the larger group.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much this. I used to tank random heroics but after years of dbags even the faster queue's and loot bag wouldn't get me to tank again. I would only do randoms if I had enough friends or guildie's but now I do heroic scenario's instead. Then people wonder why not enough tank's queue.

I especially hated people from darkspear! Sometimes player's from frostmane and proudmore would be bad. I would get some annoying dps and he would start attacking the wrong targets and shout that he could tank better. Then we would kick him and if they queued with a healer they would rage and pull everything. Luckily I was a prot warrior so I would survive sometimes.

Deleted
    You'll find that kind of people anywhere in game and when playing any role. Not that often, but you'll come by them from time to time. Just ignore them.

I leveled up quite a few tanks and when I encounter those kind of people I either proceed and say nothing, or when they are getting really annoying I tell them to can it or leave if they don't agree with my style of tanking. Works all the time.
    Last edited by mmoc9bca5565b2; 2013-07-14 at 08:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't let it get to you, it's not actually that common.

When it does happen though it sticks in your mind, it feels like there are more horror stories than there actually are. Also, you'll find that if a dps is doing something like that, if you respond they get worse. If you plain old pretend you didn't see it and ignore it, then they stop after not long. Ignorance is bliss in this case.

I say that as a person who has pala tanked since ZA patch in BC up until now, bear druid in WOTLK, DK in late WOTLK and late cata and prot warrior throughout cata. I've done the lot (soon to be monk too) and it's no easier or harder on any class, it's the punches that come from your group that are worse and once you can fed those off you'll be fine. You'll stop noticing them after a while
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

10+ Year Old Account

In my experiences while leveling and learning a new spec I tend to almost totally ignore the party chat and just focus on learning the new spec while leveling. Then again I don't normally talk to people in random groups or respond at all unless it's a friendly conversation.

Don't give up, the World...of Warcraft needs as many tanks as it can get. It's a blast at max level (coming from a prot pally)

Deleted
    This is why my vote kick initiation cd is 4 hours. Seems you only need to start 3 vote kicks before your group removal privileges get taken away.

Ignore trash talk in chat, do your job, and get loot. It really is that simple. The majority of people that talk trash in chat have lower success rates than people that use the chat system as a legitimate form of communication in my experience.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Auloria View Post

I've noticed that people in dungeons and/or lfr have gotten worse about blaming tanks/healers for wipes or for not doing things properly. I for one hate running heroics on a tank and have the dps pull trash for me, and then the dps will complain if they die from pulling mobs. Lets the tanks(or healers) do their jobs they queue up for!
    What doesn't kill you, only makes you stranger

As a tank, the best thing to do is ignore chat in random groups. When you get a group of idiots, you have a couple options. If it's one idiot, kick them. If it's more than one, quietly leave group and reque. For most levels tank ques are near instant. Life is too short to worry about the vocal trolls in random group chat. And make no mistake, the most vocal are either clueless or intentionally eliciting a response. Good players most often like smooth quiet runs, and do not want to waste time bickering in chat.