Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ...
5
6
7
8
9
... LastLast
  1. #121
    Stood in the Fire Bombino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    493
    there's obviously a point where the dps/healer the person pulling is being a jerk, because whatever they're doing is negatively impacting the group.

    but if a dps pulls safely and the group is more than able to pull it off (which is what I see 90% of the time) I think the tanks who get butthurt that they weren't the ones to taunt that one mob while you killed it in 10 seconds is hilarious.

    I think that's the biggest problem really is tank's inflexibility when the other group members actually aren't trying to be assholes, they just want to go faster, safely, and it's more than capable of happening.

  2. #122
    Moderator Anakso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    4,699
    Tanking any content that you've never tanked before for the first time in a pug is the worst thing you'll ever experience in WoW, I was a tank MS from BC to the end of firelands and never knew that because I would always tank things for the first time with my guild, obviously. Come DS I quit raiding and just did LFR as ret, later in MoP I decided to try tanking again, knew the fights but not what the tanks did. Never again will I tank LFR...never.

  3. #123
    Warchief Clevername's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    behind cover
    Posts
    2,141
    Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    I think you are bipolar dude... When I played, I didn't give 2 shits what people said, but then again I was the hardcore player and would mass pull back to back to back. If someone tried to call me a noob or said I was bad, I wouldn't care because I know i'm better than them and that their words are nothing to me. The fact that you raged because he said you were bad is kinda sad. You wasted your time over nothing, over someone who doesn't care about you, but you let their words matter. If it's a shitty person, same goes for their words... if someone came up to you irl and said you were a failure and should kill yourself, would you? Just do your own thing and ignore people who annoy you.
    I don't think you have any clue what bi polar really means.

  4. #124
    Pandaren Monk GreenFuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The States.
    Posts
    1,921
    Quote Originally Posted by VeganHunter View Post
    Literally within seconds of a new healer joining us the new healer says "Get tanking you fat ass cow".
    I lol'd so hard lmao!

    But yeah. I tried leveling up through dungeons as a healer and it was absolute hell. I've never leveled that way again. It gets better at max level, though. Hopefully the Proving Grounds will be a good way for newbie tanks to get comfortable. I want to try out Brewmaster but I know squat about tanks. I'm scared of being called a fat ass panda lmao!

    Players. What can you do?
    The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

  5. #125
    The problem is that people think tanks are not necessary until raids. I've seen DPS tank heroics at 90. Sure, it causes the healer to work overtime but it's possible, so people don't respect the tank role. They want to get in, get out and carry on as fast as possible and they view letting you pull first as waiting and that to them takes more time, though it actually keeps things in order and streamlines the run. Blizzard needs to make it more necessary for tanks to pull non-raid content first so DPS and healers quit trying to do our jobs for us.

    You can't let a few (or any number) of bads in your groups ruin your experience with tanking. Get past it, try again. Never let anyone in this game affect your mood. Ignore it, they are foolish if they waste their energy being assholes to strangers for no reason. You're going to get used to all different sorts when you tank. DPS and healers who pull stuff before you, dps using taunts, healers barking orders, dps barking orders, dps bragging about recount, people being unforgiving of basic human mistakes, dps needing tank gear because they're off/mainspec'd tank regardless of the fact they queued as DPS, healers doing the same and more. Get used to this: Nobody cares about you or your role as a tank. Don't tank for people. Tank for you.

    - - - Updated - - -

    To the guy who said

    'but if a dps pulls safely and the group is more than able to pull it off (which is what I see 90% of the time) I think the tanks who get butthurt that they weren't the ones to taunt that one mob while you killed it in 10 seconds is hilarious.'

    You're part of the problem. There are three roles Blizzard put in this game and they didn't do it without reason. If you roll and then queue as tank, it is YOUR job to pull and hold aggro. If you rolled and queued as DPS, it is your job to DPS and avoid pulling aggro. A good DPS watches his aggro and does not pull mobs. If you want to tank, roll a tank. Stop fucking up my job.

  6. #126
    You reach a point where it just becomes your preferred playstyle. People will react to you differently based on the group. Some people think im a genius(Los packs, Mark targets, actually use intervene etc.) Others think i'm a noob because i only pull half of the room instead of the next 3 rooms with a healer in blues. You can't account for idiots. You can only account for your own abillities and judgements.

    I have found that if you're sociable in the group and one guy starts nagging, you can probably have the others kick him and move on.

  7. #127
    Yeah tanking randoms really sucks. You just kind of get used to the assholes or give up on it. There's a reason tank queues are usually extremely short because very few people want to put up with the constant harassment.

    One time in LFR some guy harassed me for the rest of an instance because I pulled a trash pack that was patting right towards us.
    Other night in lowbie scarlet monastery people kept pulling EVERYTHING and when I asked them to stop pulling extra stuff then they blame me for pulling it. Bitch I'm halfway across the room I'm not even remotely in range of the shit you guys are pulling and I can clearly see you all pulling it.

    Also thanks to blizzard's punishment system for initiating vote kicks, I can't even kick these people anymore I just have to put up with it.
    Last edited by bals; 2013-07-23 at 04:50 PM.

  8. #128
    Stood in the Fire Bombino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortera View Post
    To the guy who said

    'but if a dps pulls safely and the group is more than able to pull it off (which is what I see 90% of the time) I think the tanks who get butthurt that they weren't the ones to taunt that one mob while you killed it in 10 seconds is hilarious.'

    You're part of the problem. There are three roles Blizzard put in this game and they didn't do it without reason. If you roll and then queue as tank, it is YOUR job to pull and hold aggro. If you rolled and queued as DPS, it is your job to DPS and avoid pulling aggro. A good DPS watches his aggro and does not pull mobs. If you want to tank, roll a tank. Stop fucking up my job.
    Actually, the goal is to finish the instance. If the tank stops between pulls picking his nose and I can solo 2 mobs safely (which is unbelievably easy and don't even need a healer in some low lvl instances) then that makes the instance go faster for all 5 people. Like I said, this is more for the tanks who are unbelievably slow, I don't always do it. But I have good intentions, I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings, I mean to make the instance go faster. Now why should you take that so personally?

    I tanked for 6 years and never took it personally unless the puller was doing it mindlessly and negatively affecting the other group members. If it's done in such a way that it's beneficial, people like you really need to relax. There are more positive ways to react to such things.

    If you want the responsibility of pulling and controlling the pace then you should consider the pace that the rest of the group wants to go at also, not just your own. That mindset is very selfish. It's a "group" not a "I'm doing it my way and that's the only way that works so stop fucking up my job". paraphrasing you.

  9. #129
    Herald of the Titans Poppincaps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Post-Apocalyptic America
    Posts
    2,509
    It's funny, to be a tank you need to have thick skin in game and in real life. Just ignore them. If dps pulls, then let them die or pull off them. On my tank I just roll my eyes and pull the mobs off them. Letting them die would just make the run longer, and I really don't care enough to waste time letting them die.

  10. #130
    Moderator Kerdoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    7,578
    I find it even worse being a healer.. DPS standing in crap, pulling on their own, tanks overpulling. It will almost always be your fault in their eyes. That is why I am only DPS on my characters at the moment

  11. #131
    The Patient Kowloon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Walled City
    Posts
    322
    At this point in the game, the tank only pulls dynamic is long gone. With the addition of heirlooms, most players who have heirlooms are very overgeared for leveling and can more or less solo the low-level dungeon/tank every mob or boss.

    At level 90, I find myself pulling everything as a DPS because the tank is slow or bad. That's fine if the tank want to go about it a certain way but I'm not going to wait. Spending 30 to 45 minutes in a single dungeon is not ideal. Being a little bit overgeared for heroic dungeons makes a difference too. I can solo any level 90 heroic dungeon by myself so when I get bored and random que, I am very fast and chain pulling. Most people appreciate it/don't complain for a quick carry through a dungeon.
    In the company of thieves, liars, beggars and whores
    I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come.

  12. #132
    Scarab Lord Gandrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,771
    Sounds like you take shit too personally, hard to believe you've been playing for 8 years

    Instead of freaking out about it, you could have assumed "fat ass cow" was just a joke and told them "dont have it" when they asked you to use HOTR.
    You get a thumbs up, pat on the back and a "way to go" from your label every day, looking boy
    Hey, looking boy, what you say looking boy? I get a "hell yeah" from Dre, looking boy
    I work for everything I have, never asked nobody for shit. Get outta my face, looking boy


  13. #133
    Scarab Lord b2121945's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    EUSSR
    Posts
    4,321
    Healers usually aren't like that. They are punished to heal tanks getting incredible amount of damage because they can't use their abilities right, heal dps standing in the fire and if someone dies, they're blamed.
    And they're usually there, quietly healing you, not complaining.
    They have to deal with this every day. Yet it's a small chance you'll meet some jerk healer like you did in your post.

  14. #134
    Stood in the Fire Bombino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by Kowloon View Post
    At this point in the game, the tank only pulls dynamic is long gone. With the addition of heirlooms, most players who have heirlooms are very overgeared for leveling and can more or less solo the low-level dungeon/tank every mob or boss.

    At level 90, I find myself pulling everything as a DPS because the tank is slow or bad. That's fine if the tank want to go about it a certain way but I'm not going to wait. Spending 30 to 45 minutes in a single dungeon is not ideal. Being a little bit overgeared for heroic dungeons makes a difference too. I can solo any level 90 heroic dungeon by myself so when I get bored and random que, I am very fast and chain pulling. Most people appreciate it/don't complain for a quick carry through a dungeon.
    Pissy or uncomfortable as tanks may be, I think ALL tanks need to be taking what this guy said into consideration before they get so ridiculously upset. If you want a certain level of responsibility as a tank then own it, don't be a selfish jerk who thinks you're entitled to having everyone do everything your way.

    That doesn't mean DPS is always right if you're wiping, but it doesn't mean you're always right to pull slower than others may like.
    Last edited by Bombino; 2013-07-23 at 05:34 PM.

  15. #135
    Immortal Sigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Just outside of Wigan, England.
    Posts
    7,738
    Quote Originally Posted by Kowloon View Post
    At level 90, I find myself pulling everything as a DPS because the tank is slow or bad.
    And why is the tank slow or Bad ? Because pretty much every dungeon has been the same, Retarded DPS Pull shit and he has no real experience of being able to tank properly and is in all likelihood still learning his roll. Had DPS done their job by DPSing what the tank had pulled for the last 90 level he would have a good grounding in tank mechanics, and be at a reasonable skill level.

    Although why I am bothering I will never know, because lets face it once you get into the bad habit of pulling mobs on a tank, your unlikely to ever change. This is not your fault though, this is the fault of blizzard who no longer think that it should be an instant death for DPS pulling mobs instead of the tank.

  16. #136
    Herald of the Titans RoKPaNda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,717
    Quote Originally Posted by VeganHunter View Post
    You are right.... but I am just learning, and the game needs more tanks.... personally my only gripe with tanks really, is those that roll need on everything.

    I should have just moved on, but I was so pissed.
    I can offer you this suggestion as it's been awhile since I've tanked content lower than level cap. Once you get to 90, if you tank LFR, turn instance chat off, and only communicate through tells with the other tank. Other tanks, if you're friendly to them, tend to be friendly back. Whenever I've tanked something new, another tank was always very friendly and quickly walked me through what I had to do.

    Healers and DPS players that don't understand tanking but think they do will always be a huge pain in the ass, and breaking into content as a tank will always be harder than the other two roles. Much much less stress for those two roles. Even if I was terrible at them I just jumped straight into group play to learn and nobody said anything, but if you're even slightly slow as a tank or don't know the arbitrary shortcuts that are taken by impatient folks, you'll get screamed at. Just ignore them.
    Nov 2014: Through inaction MMO-Champion moderators confirm that it is perfectly fine to link to hate groups in signatures.

  17. #137
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombino View Post
    Pissy or uncomfortable as tanks may be, I think ALL tanks need to be taking what this guy said into consideration before they get so ridiculously upset. If you want a certain level of responsibility as a tank then own it, don't be a selfish jerk who thinks you're entitled to having everyone do everything your way.

    That doesn't mean DPS is always right if you're wiping, but it doesn't mean you're always right to pull slower than others may like.
    No, that guy is part of the problem. He should be ignored.

  18. #138
    Fluffy Kitten Dyra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Fording the Ox
    Posts
    1,316
    Unless you can get a group of friends/guildies, or you're lucky enough to get an understanding group of randoms, to hold your hand as you find your feet as a Tank (i.e. learning mechanics, learning buttons, ideal UI/setup etc.) in my experience within more than a couple of tries people just get so put off from the whole thing that they never try again.

    I may try again one day, but I'm still so burned from the last time.....

    A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

  19. #139
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    202
    Honestly I've very rarely ever had this problem as a tank. If the dps/healers want to pull, I let them and don't taunt until they die to teach them not to pull. Works wonders. If they scream at me to hurry up, I toggle my walk/run and move even slower until they apologize

  20. #140
    well, i never play dps/healer, only tank, but there is 1 reason to i only raid these days..

    where are all the comunication you had before the LFD/LFR etc? back then it was awesome to tank randoms.. if there was a ninja in the party, he was pretty much doomed on that server.. so people had to be nice to get a nice response.
    My SoundCloud.
    Take a look and comment!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •